View Full Version : How's the progress?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Mark Utley
April 2nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Yesterday's shooting was very limited because it rained all afternoon but today's a beautiful day so hopefully I get it all done.

Robert Martens
April 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM
So everything's been shot, captured, and reviewed, now I'm assembling a rough cut, and it's much more pleasing than I ever imagined it could be; may need to do some ADR (cringe), or better yet just reshoot one particular scene--unless I can get rid of this small bit of annoying reverb--but otherwise things are looking up!

Never knew editing would be as bad as my favorite videogames in terms of "time travel" factor; hours disappear in the blink of an eye, and yet somehow, I can't wait to get up tomorrow and get back to work.

Hope all's well with everyone else!

Andrew Khalil
April 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
yeah, all my stuff is shot and all but the last scene captured and there's already a rough cut in place. All I need to do is add the voiceovers which have also been recorded and the last scene I shot. I also need to add audio and it shall be complete.

Bradley L Marlow
April 3rd, 2006, 02:30 AM
I'm with you folks...been editing until the 'ol eyeballs fall out. However, like Robert, am ready to get up early and keep at it.

Chopping up 4.5 hours of tape into 5 minutes or less always seems to take some time and it doesn't help matters that I just can't seem to stop tweeking the edits!

Sean McHenry
April 3rd, 2006, 06:59 AM
If you have CSPAN, it's all paid for by public money as far as I know which makes it all availabe for use wherever. Your tax dollars pay for it so you own a percentage. That's my story and I'm sticking to it - until the feds show up at the door then it's everyone for themselves...

I would think that would be safe to use. It would be especially good if you want to show a scene with a certain "boredom" factor.

Sean

Edward Slonaker
April 3rd, 2006, 08:44 AM
If you have CSPAN, it's all paid for by public money as far as I know which makes it all availabe for use wherever. Your tax dollars pay for it so you own a percentage. That's my story and I'm sticking to it - until the feds show up at the door then it's everyone for themselves...

I would think that would be safe to use. It would be especially good if you want to show a scene with a certain "boredom" factor.

Whoa!....has my coffee not kicked in, yet?? I've read this 4 times along with preceeding comments and still can't make a connection...

Too many windows open, Sean? LOL!

Robert Kirkpatrick
April 3rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
I'm done with the main shoot. Shot everything in one long day, and I'm still exhausted. I'm just gonna babble a bit about where I am.

THE FOREST SCENES
The outdoor scenes were murder. Lots of ticks and poison ivy (yeah, Arkansas). The day started off as overcast, and then suddenly, out of nowhere, the sun appeared. So basically, the first scenes are darker than the later scenes -- and I had to constantly fight overexposure on the actor's white dress. And because of the weather forecast, I stupidly left my reflector at home and now there are some awkward shadows on the actor's face.

THE INDOOR SCENES
This was my second time using the FX1, but the first time I used it heavily. I think I underexposed a few of the indoor scenes -- but I'll just have to live wit h it for now. I didn't want to jack up the gain too much, because I'm not a big fan of grain. I wish I had an external monitor. However, my little girl actor was amazing. Absolutely stunning performance.

THE GREEN SCREENS
I always have this tendency of being more ambitious than I should be. This is my first time doing some green screens, and perhaps I should've done some tests beforehand. :) I'm using Vegas Video to chroma key and I set up a ghetto green screen. One of the keys worked out beautifully. But the others have been disappointing. Lots of fringes -- but I'm still playing with the mask.

RESHOOTS AND EDITS
I wasn't able to get a fake human heart and lungs -- and I no longer have time to shoot it. But I may have to reshoot the little girl's scream and the morphing effect. I started editing and doing some color correction yesterday, and so far, it's looking pretty nice. Despite my indoor scenes, the FX1 is a truly amazing camera. And I'm suprisingly able to do some really nice demonic eyes for the evil queen, just using the media generator in Vegas.

Now I've just got to hussle with the editing and oh, yeah, compose the music. Why do I never keep things simple? Hopefully, I'll be able to get it done in time. If not, I'll still post it when I'm finished.

Edward Slonaker
April 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Wow! I think my production (which is finished and posted) will be a little pale in comparison to yours. Forests, green screens, evil queen? sounds like it was fun.

Yeah, I love the FX1. I used it quite a bit on this project. REALLY got familiar with some of the settings. One (of many) thing I'm thankful for this DVC.

Looking forward to seeing your movie.

Andrew Hood
April 3rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
I was going to use the DV500 to shoot, but it choked on a tape and requires surgery. That'll be a trip to Melbourne no doubt.

Back to PD150 (only). Finally did most of the shooting over the weekend. Took me too long to make a script and get it edited by other folk. But I should have an entry this time. But we still have another scene to shoot, and with wintery weather on the way. They're talking about snow and I need Sunny weather for 1hr when the 'talent' is present. And it needs to be dry, or it just won't make sense in the script. But at this point I'll take it, even if it's not what it should be.

Just using and family and friends for actors. More organisation needed next time, and hopefully will have networked with some theatre people by then. Seriously need to delegate parts of pre-production too. But learning lots - especially about how little goes to plan, and you forget to do too many things when you're doing it. And a garden cart does not a dolly make - need more weight, especially coupled with the camera. Canned those shots when I played them back.
I also had the Sun going in and out - overcast helped even the light out though, but you really had to watch the exposures (Zebra is your friend).

Still have loads of sound tweaking to do (and offscreen voices to rerecord - I had to delegate boom operations), but the basic edit is in place. Need to try different music to it also - though it's limited to the royalty free library. Some carefully placed sound effects would help too.

So far I have about 40 mins on tape, making about 2.5 mins of current edit, with the one portion still remaining. But I think that will show for itself in the end. Too often there's no real choice as to which take to use - it's the one that sucks least.

Bradley L Marlow
April 3rd, 2006, 11:29 AM
Now I've just got to hussle with the editing and oh, yeah, compose the music. Why do I never keep things simple? Hopefully, I'll be able to get it done in time. If not, I'll still post it when I'm finished.

Keeping things simple is probably a good idea Robert- but one that always seems to escape me as well. Now, the fact you have come so far with such a monumental effort, I sincerely hope you DO finish on time! Go for it!

William Gardner
April 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
Done! Hurrah!

While I was glad that the challenge lasted more than 10 days this time, I sure did spend more time on this than I expected... :)

My main sadness is that the web versions look so mediocre compared to the full, HD glory produced by my Sony Z1U.

Good luck, everybody! Finish, finish, finish!

Bill

Mark Utley
April 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Wow, Tyler Baptist and I used my Z1 for our projects and I've seen at least three other people who have used Z1/FX1s for theirs. Should be interesting to see what kind of images we can get out of them.

I did most of my shooting yesterday and hopefully the last of it will be done tonight. I also helped Tyler with his this afternoon.

Dick Mays
April 3rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
Minor setback.

I finished shooting all the nude scenes on Saturday, but spent so much time in the editing room on Sunday, I believe my wife has rootkited my computer.

Robert Martens
April 3rd, 2006, 09:34 PM
Nude scenes? In a freely available movie? Heck, you've got my vote! :)

Finished my own rough cut about half an hour ago, showed it to my father, who tells me he's pleased with it, and got the point I was trying to get across. So all that's left is to rerecord one particular voiceover (I've fallen victim to the "cell phones as the new cigarettes" bug, I'm sorry to say--not one, but TWO phone conversations in one movie), add in a select few sound effects, add some crossfades and color correct a shot or two.

I can see the finish line, and it looks good.

Michael Fossenkemper
April 3rd, 2006, 10:14 PM
Holy cow, I feel completly out gunned. Z1's, green screens, no little puppies or kids? I spent 50 bucks on parts to make a dolly, 30 bucks on scotch and wine, 10 bucks on tape, 40 bucks on new bulbs, 40 bucks on sandwiches. I shot everything on a DVC30, My dad doesn't get the idea, but then again he thinks everything I do is a bad idea.

Philip Gioja
April 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM
well... I'm a little outgunned too... but I got the rough cut in tonight, and I'm sending it off to a friend to get it scored. It's simple, but hopefully not (too) cheesy. Probably is.

Robert Kirkpatrick
April 4th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Wow! I think my production (which is finished and posted) will be a little pale in comparison to yours.Not really. I think I accidentally made it sound more impressive than it is. I got my cast and crew (3 actors, 2 crew, all friends and family) a day before the shoot, and I spent about 30 bucks (on tapes and fake flowers and a mirror and assorted stuff). I should have spent some on booze. Only had a camera and a tripod (and sometimes a mic with XLR), and my ghetto green screen are just large pieces of flourescent green poster board carefully taped together. Then it was rush, rush, rush all day.

Now that I'm in editing, I'm banging my head because I'm missing some shots. I just tend to be rather overambitious -- CRAZY actually. There was just a bunch of neat things I wanted to try -- like green screening -- so why not not experiment in front of everybody?! :) But hey, this was an excuse to light a fire underneath me. So I guess that worked at least.

Edward Slonaker
April 4th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Well, you got me fired up about the "green screen" part. We've got a portable green screen at work and thought about using it over the weekend; forgot it, of course. So, we were in Hobby Lobby and I saw this lime green looking cotton material. Bought a couple yards of it and dang if it's not close enough! Six bucks for a green screen??? Can't beat that. I'm going to try it out on something.

I had low production staff and talent (just me, the mrs., and my best friend) as well. In fact, anyone who touched the FX1 and asked, "uh...what does this button do?" got there name in the credits. I shoulda spent money on booze. A good bottle of Scotch would've helped me work out one scene. Oh well.

Dick Mays
April 4th, 2006, 06:52 AM
My wife was right. The nudity was gratuitous, and completely unnecessary. The dancing midgets should be enough to hold the viewers interest. After all, it worked for Willie Wonka.

On a serious note, the good news is, I finished editing my sweet romantic piece yesterday, and my wife loved it. Hope ya'll like it too.

Mike McNeese
April 4th, 2006, 12:07 PM
I'm gonna get started on it tonight.

:)

Lorinda Norton
April 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I know Dylan likes for us to keep our movies as close to three minutes as possible, but ours went longer and then, doggone it, I wanted to add some behind-the-scenes stuff just for fun! The movie, with credits, runs 4 minutes, but then I added another 58 seconds of extras. Unfortunately, that puts a wmv file at 59.7mb. Took me eight minutes to save it to my computer, which is a long time. I think I'm going to have to give the extras the boot.

So my question for those of you who are finished--how big are your movies?

Edward Slonaker
April 4th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Mine came to just about 3:20 (with credits). I think the .WMV is around 8MB. I've also uploaded a Flash version that's around 9MB.

Hope the 320x240 does it justice......although it'll help hide the "flaws".

William Gardner
April 4th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Mine is just under 5 minutes, including credits.

I have 2 WMV files online ready for download,
One is about 20 MBytes (320x240, 12p), and one is about 58 MBytes (480x360, 24p). Please watch the big one if you have the bandwidth; I'll return the favor... :)

Bill

Mark Utley
April 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I've done a basic edit and went through it all a few times and trimmed it down wherever I can. I'm sitting at 5:02 without credits. Bah.

Robert Martens
April 4th, 2006, 03:25 PM
I've done a basic edit and went through it all a few times and trimmed it down wherever I can. I'm sitting at 5:02 without credits. Bah.

Welcome to the club! The cut I talked about last night sat at six minutes, fifty-five seconds, which I only realized after reading the last few posts; a bit of judicious cutting, and I'm down to five minutes, nine seconds, no credits. Looks like I'll be able to do something, as there's one scene I have with some cutaways that may be useful, but credits aren't looking possible, even quick ones. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Best of luck to you, Mark, I'm sure you'll figure something out!

Philip Gioja
April 4th, 2006, 03:57 PM
I still have some cutting and trimming to do tonight, but I'm running 6:50 at the moment. I'll probably do a short version and a long version.

I spent a little too much on this -- rented an apartment, bought a bed... I tried some green screen stuff too but it turned out really pixelly around the edges, so I must not have lit it very well. I ended up just doing an overlay rather than using the green screen. It still looks good, but I guess I still have some learning to do.

I did build a boom pole for my shotgun mic, I was pretty pumped about that. I got a 12' aluminum house-scrubbing pole (my house needs cleaning too, I'm all about multiple-use!), bought a dirt cheap made-in-china paint roller that screwed on the top, hack-sawed the screw end off to use the plastic threads, threw out the roller part, and epoxied a screw with the right threads on it to screw onto that a hotshoe adapter that I got off of Ben Lynn (he is the guy who got me here to dvinfo.net.) $35 total.

Dick Mays
April 4th, 2006, 06:02 PM
I was struggling to get an edit under 4 minutes, then found out we had five, and I went back and reedited it with full cast credits it's 4:50.
320x180 15 frame wmv is 18M, and looks okay. I'm going to play with QT Pro tonight.

Chris Barcellos
April 4th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Done! Hurrah!

While I was glad that the challenge lasted more than 10 days this time, I sure did spend more time on this than I expected... :)

My main sadness is that the web versions look so mediocre compared to the full, HD glory produced by my Sony Z1U.

Good luck, everybody! Finish, finish, finish!

Bill

I shot in HDV with my FX1, but decided for speed just to downconvert out of the camera, knowing that it was going to be a web movie only

Bradley L Marlow
April 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
After all that, doesn't look like I'll make it....

Lorinda Norton
April 4th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Brad! After all that work. Dang.....I'm sorry. Hope everything is okay. :(

If you weren't a Mac guy I'd offer to edit for you.

Bradley L Marlow
April 4th, 2006, 09:05 PM
...but I could be kidding...eh, eh, eh.

Lorinda Norton
April 4th, 2006, 09:15 PM
So I logged off and called this big ape to commiserate and see if I could help....only to find out he was kidding! *smoke curling up from the top of my head*

Just remember, Brad: "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." ....or tricked, as the case may be! ;)

Meryem Ersoz
April 4th, 2006, 09:38 PM
you can finish mine for me, lorinda! i am beginning to loathe it.

except i need a deep resonant man-voice to do the V/O. having trouble finding one. may have to get my friend patrick drunk and make him promise to help me.

any deep resonant man-voices out there in colorado who will help me? i'm desperate! the guy i thought i had lined up is not available....

Michael Fossenkemper
April 4th, 2006, 09:41 PM
What are the chances we can delay his flight so we have another week? After reviewing my film for the 98th time. I want to shoot some new scenes and re-edit.

This is my first "Drama". I've learned a ton of stuff in the process. But most of all, my story started to solidify at the end, unfortunately I already shot most of my stuff. Now that I've had a chance to "reflect" on my endeavor, I'd like to start over. does this happen to everyone? anyway, I'm serious about delaying his return home. does anyone know what airline he's flying on and the date he's supposed to return?

Scott Cozad
April 5th, 2006, 07:35 AM
I happen to be the star on my film. After watching the film I have decided that I am really, really bad at acting. :(

Lorinda Norton
April 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Now, Scott, you sound just like my son! He was so disappointed when he saw himself on this latest movie.

You've heard countless times about people being their own worst critics; it's true. I'd be willing to bet we'll all think you did a great job!

Say, Meryem, if you get really desperate I know a resonant baritone over here who would be available to take directions by phone, record, and then I'd email the files to you! We'd sure have to hurry!!! :)

Christopher Ruiz
April 5th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Well, I have shot footage maybe a week ago with my partner. problems:

-I have not shot footage till a week ago, and therefore with midterms and the process I am working on this time (which involves creating a story in the editing), I will not be able to put forth the strongest piece.
-My computer, too slow to render the realtime effects that I have been messing with, which involve heavy use of a crushed black filter and light rays and flashes.
-I don't know the footage like I should, which is where I get a real grasp on the story. especially in this new method without a script

What you can expect from me:
-A first draft of whatever, which will just be messing around with flow and the footage
-A halfway halfway decent picture due to cheap hosting through youtube.

I am honestly making a tentitive use of this piece later on, but feel it'll take maybe 4-5 weeks to really develop and then another 3 to master it. I was using this project as a means to shoot with a dancer anyways, and try a different method without a script ...which I actually have done with another piece, called the clown, which here is a link to that:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sPemYOTYk8A

itsa fine, itll go in my portfolio when I finally finish it. even though you all will get the dirty end of the stick here.

Christopher Ruiz
April 5th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Also, here is some test footage from the reflections piece:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rREe8zqlVKI

Andrew Khalil
April 5th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Well, I'm finished mine - I just have to export it and find a site to host it.

Meryem Ersoz
April 5th, 2006, 03:40 PM
thanks for the offer, lorinda! man, you all are the best! send up a cry in the wilderness, and the offers pour in. what a great community!

i think i have a line on the vocal stylings which i hope works out. guest-starring one of dvinfo's own! wish us luck!

Scott Cozad
April 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the lift, Lorinda. The only problem is that I have already quit my day job. :)

Andrew Hood
April 5th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Damn, blast - I need to get more organised next time.
Having delayed due to 'actor' availability, and then hesitating due to strong wind (waiting for that elusive window), we missed what is probably the last opportunity to film anything dry. And I'm not risking my precious camera in the rain. I'll just have to blue/green screen it if need be. Or hopefully have a non-rainy night and do it as a night scene - will still work just with issues.

Either that or I'm pulling out some 'stock' footage of mine and getting the actors to do a modified voiceover - if I get desperate enough. I've got the basic event, just a different context. And the number of people around doesn't match - maybe vignette them out, it is a flashback after all, and the character has some screws loose ;-)

Although now I'm starting to get ideas for other ways around it, dark and ambiguous may work if the audio works. Time running out, but it's not called a challenge for nothing.

Phillip Jackson
April 6th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Well looks like i won't be getting my entry done :(
Haven't been able to find any actors.... oh well

Mark Utley
April 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
I'm pretty much done, except for a bit of audio mastering and transition touch-ups. We're having a big premiere party on Saturday with all the Saskatoon people who entered.

Robert Martens
April 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM
And that's the end of that! Movie's done, files are compressed and uploaded (Windows Media 7 and 9, for compatibility and file size), email's been sent, now I get to sit back and listen to some kickin' tunes!

Can't wait to see how many entries there are, and start watchin' 'em all.

Sean McHenry
April 6th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Not quite done but, I had one of those lightening bolt thingys hit my square on the bean earlier today and shot a few bits as soon as I walked in the front door tonight. Been editing last nights late night drive through town to fulfil that part of the criteria. Shot some things dealing with reflections and am doing what is going to amount to an "art" piece. I had a rather sobering event or two this week in my personal life and that's always good for a few days of not thinking at all in an effort to escape the situation for a while. On the other hand, once you talk yourself out of that mental slump, you sometimes come up with some interesting ideas.

When the thread on this piece comes out, I will be interested in seeing how many different interpretations for it come out of the discussions. It's not like anything I have seen anyone do in the DVChallenge before. I think it will challenge the viewers, and the judges a bit.

As I myself am looking at it as a learning "art" and "interpretive"piece, I will not be hoping to win but I am hoping to be able to transfer some meaning and emotion with the piece.

I have said before that I want to be able to create totally emotionally motivated scenes. I am not really interested in telling a 3 act screen play. I want to show something very personal and deeply emotional. Something simple enough to grasp but hard hitting. That's the goal, and I'm a long way from shore, but I am swinning.

See you all in the funny papers,

Sean McHenry

Meryem Ersoz
April 7th, 2006, 01:21 AM
blurgh. finished editing at 1:20 am thursday night. compressing and uploading can wait until morning....

Chris Barcellos
April 7th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Emailed my links to Dylan a half hour ago.

Well, if I could get the "talent" back tonight, I think I'd shoot the whole main scene again. As it was, I had to cut and paste sections of the scene from the various takes, and really didn't have a way to cut away. I always wondered why there is all the fuss about it, but next time, I'll get a plethora of valuable "B" roll stuff, to make cutaways. That is what this is all about-- learning some things.....

Kris Holodak
April 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
It's not the best work I've ever done, but it's not the worst either and as someone said to me in an interview yesterday, done is beautiful.

Good luck everyone.

Chad Huntley
April 8th, 2006, 12:04 AM
A batch of exams between me and my friends during this month killed any progress....... won't happen again... as long as there's another this summer or the beginning of next semester before we have to start studying.