View Full Version : How's the progress?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Sean McHenry
March 23rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
I panic prematurely... In that case, Wow, only 2 weeks left...

I feel better. I will repeat my earlier message in 1 week.

Badger, badger, badger. A snake! A snake!...

If you can't live with that one in your head, try this one...

http://www.rathergood.com/moon_song/

These scary creatures were used in some Quiznos spots some time back. There were stories on the net (Google Sponge Monkeys) about small children breaking into tears when these things came on. I thought the damn things were real roadkill.

Now you'll be seeing things as well as hearing them. Good luck with that. I'm already warped as previous contest entries will show so these no longer effect me.

Sean

Mark Utley
March 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM
I have ideas and a few things written down. I'm going to try to get a more detailed script finished tonight.

Sean McHenry
March 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM
In reality, I have about 3 legal pages with notes for the final scene. The thing won't be chronological, a bit like Momento I suppose. I have a great finish, I just need the stuff in the middle and the stuff at the front. Sounds easy huh?

Anyone done yet?

I wonder if Dylan has access in Africa? That reminds me, why do elephants wear red sneakers? So they can hide in the the cherry trees. Ever seen an elephant in a cherry tree? See how good it works!

Fade In:

Interior, House, Evening

Wide

Some Nut
(smiling)
"Yeah, let them get that tune out of their heads"

He stands up and begins singing.

Some Nut
(like an insane chipmunk scampering to the fridge)
"We love the moon, cause it is good to us"

Sean

Jonathan Jones
March 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Fade In:

Interior, House, Evening

Wide

Some Nut
(smiling)
"Yeah, let them get that tune out of their heads"

He stands up and begins singing.

Some Nut
(like an insane chipmunk scampering to the fridge)
"We love the moon, cause it is good to us"

Sean

You're watching me?
-Jon

Dick Mays
March 24th, 2006, 06:22 AM
(as evidenced by my 2 1/2 year old last night sharing what she learned at last week's library storytime session)

http://homepage.mac.com/lunarparcel/Lunarparcel_Movies/iMovieTheater131.html

This would never qualify as an entry, but shot in 2 minutes, edited in 3, online in 10 minutes - start to finish - I actually favor it considerably over my entry for DVC #1.....

Johnathan,

Miranda is a lot more watchable and entertaining than my last entry in DVC4! I'm glad you are disqualifyng yourself so the rest of us have a chance!

Steve Shilson
March 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM
As of 2:37am last night(well, today). . .I am completely finished! I'm so excited for the contest, the total run time is only 3 frames short of 5 minutes and I am very pleased with the outcome. I hope all is going well with everyone, keep at er! I'm looking forward to seeing everyones :)

Andrew Khalil
March 24th, 2006, 09:17 AM
yeah, I'm almost done now, just have 3 more scenes to shoot which I'll do next week. I've already pretty much edited what I've already shot, so not too much to do.

Scott Cozad
March 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I worked on the score a bit this week. I created a few sound effects that may or may not be used. I also did some test shooting.

Tomorrow I start shooting for real. The indoor shots will be done tomorrow. Outdoor shots will be done on Sunday.

Editing should be complete by Monday, April 3rd.

Lots of fun stuff going on here!

Edward Slonaker
March 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Shooting begins tomorrow at o'dark30. Supposed to be a cold morning which will work well....just hope the winds are down. Should be able to rap up all the exteriors then. Looking forward to seeing it in post. Actually, I'll be glad when it's all over! How did you guys all do it in a WEEK??? Next DVC will REALLY be a challenge.....

Dick Mays
March 24th, 2006, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Shilson]total run time is only 3 frames short of 5 minutes and I am very pleased with the outcome. QUOTE]

Steve, did I miss something? I thought we were lilmited to four minutes. I can add the bag lady back into the script if I have an extra minute...

Steve Shilson
March 24th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Quote Dylan Couper in the http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62462 thread.
"Running time is extended to a full five minutes. Your film doesn't have to run that long, but it is there if you want it. I'd still prefer to see three minute films."

You made me really second guess myself there, I was really scared for a second :p

Dick Mays
March 25th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Quote Dylan Couper in the http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62462 thread.
"Running time is extended to a full five minutes. Your film doesn't have to run that long, but it is there if you want it. I'd still prefer to see three minute films."

You made me really second guess myself there, I was really scared for a second :p

Great! Now I can credit all my extras!

Edward Slonaker
March 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Well, as it was, "Murphy" was along for the ride. We didn't get to the first site (that I needed fairly dark) until the sun was almost up. TOO much light already when I'm pulling out the equipment, only to discover I left the camera plate for the tripod AT HOME!!! Grrrrr! Bad start, folks. So, I had to rest the camera on the tripod head. Good thing I don't have to pan anything!

Then, in some of the shots, I forgot a key prop I'm supposed to wear, so I had to REshoot. One (touristy) area we were supposed to shoot was shut down for maintenance....ON A SATURDAY???? By about this time, I've had just about enough.

Did get some good footage though, so we're well underway. Far cry from two weeks ago when the theme was announced and I was jumping for joy because I had an idea, music and talent set up already. Never good to get cocky with these things......

Michael Fossenkemper
March 25th, 2006, 12:15 PM
tomorrow I wrap up shooting and begin post. I shot all my indoor stuff last weekend, and tomorrow is the outdoor stuff. I tried to schedule around the weather. After the first round of shooting, true to myself, I completely rewrote the script. One of those ahaa, my story sucks moments.

Robert Martens
March 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Figured I'd keep you guys updated; things are rolling right along by me. Shot at another location (the most distinctly Miller Place of the places I'm shooting, though you'd never know it from the sign...you'll understand what I mean once the movie's done) today, and picked up that voiceover I needed. Set to reshoot some things tomorrow morning, and after that I'll only have one scene left to shoot, then on with editing. Haven't even attempted editing yet, though I probably should. I'm just worried I'll end up wanting to reshoot everything, or simply give up 'cause I feel stupid. Eh, I'll just have to get over it, I guess.

Now if I could just decide what to do about music...

Jeff Tyler
March 26th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I am still not yet even started. I Just have been too busy (and lazy). Hopefully I'll get something together by the deadline.

Chris Barcellos
March 27th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Finally was able to cobble together a script, but tendon surgery is taking longer to recover from than I originally thought. Still basically one handed. But I so want to avoid the wall of shame this time...

Brendan Marnell
March 27th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Emailed my 3 minutes codology thoroughly pixellated on 22nd. Bad 'n all as it is I hope it can be uprezzed, to keep eye-injury to a minimum.

Thanks for all the guidance and encouragement, especially Meryem, without whom it would not have gone anywhere. Now off to the cliffs of Extremadura!

aka videoraptor

Mark Utley
March 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Oh god, one of my eBay items arrived today but I was asleep! Since they didn't leave it at the door, I'll either have to get it today at 5 (if it's in today) or more likely tomorrow at 1.

Josh Dickison
March 27th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Writing script, got the idea, making it fit into theme and location requirements.

Kris Holodak
March 27th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Have a rough cut done and recorded most of my voices over the weekend. Unfortunately work is using up my laptop so I don't expect much progress on this until it's weekend again. Sigh.

Sean McHenry
March 27th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Chris, been there. Read my threads on the Christmas challenge. Had shoulder surgery so I had to finish mine early on that one to fit in the recovery time.

Still working on recovery. Shoulder stuff takes a while. Not too painful, just limited on range of motion still.

On topic - I haven't shot a frame yet. I am still working on the story line. I have a good "gag" for how to shoot it, I just need the reason to shoot it this way and a real story behind it. This is what happens when I am given too long to think about it. Plus I am working like a fiend on a semi-professional music video project of my own. You can read about it on the web site...

Good luck everyone. 1 week plus is it? I'll have something to show. I just hope the inspiration hits me like a thunderbolt - SOON!

Sean

Robert Kirkpatrick
March 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I've got an idea -- an idea I actually like -- but I can't find a good heart anywhere. I've checked the meat markets for something that could look like a human heart, like a pig's heart, but they're telling me that certain things aren't allowed to be sold by the FDA.

Oh, and I have yet to find a little girl to play the lead. This is gonna be close to the wire, if it happens.

Sean McHenry
March 27th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Usually I am the darker one around here but with you looking for a heart and a little girl, I'm getting morbidly curious.

I always remember what W. C. Fields used to say - never work with small children or dogs.

Try asking around the vets or a vet school. I wonder if they have anything on Ebay?

Sean McHenry

Scott Cozad
March 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Well, I finished shooting on Sunday and then started looking at what I had. Some of it is not good. This project is really stretching me, and I am really struggling with the lighting. Specifically, I am having a hard time keeping the lighting consitent from scene to scene. I will need to reshoot some of it this coming weekend.

Mark Utley
March 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I start shooting this weekend. I'm hoping to get it all shot on Saturday and Sunday, then have next week to edit.

Sean McHenry
March 29th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Ditto.

Sean

Robert Martens
March 29th, 2006, 12:20 PM
I start shooting this weekend. I'm hoping to get it all shot on Saturday and Sunday, then have next week to edit.

Did the deadline get moved back? The threads I saw say the films are due midnight April 2nd, which according to my calendar is this coming Sunday.

Mark Utley
March 29th, 2006, 12:25 PM
In the DVC5 announcement thread, he said the deadline is April 8.

Closing date for the competition is April 8th. This gives you a full month (mostly because that is when I get back from Africa).

Robert Martens
March 29th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Well, imagine that. Could've sworn it was the second. Odd.

Thanks for the good news, Mark, looks like I've got even more time to nitpick my editing.

Mike Teutsch
March 29th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Well, imagine that. Could've sworn it was the second. Odd.

Thanks for the good news, Mark, looks like I've got even more time to nitpick my editing.

In Dylans first post announcing that we were going to start DV#5 soon, he did say the second.

Then after the changes and trip announcement the date was changed to the eighth. Had me confused too.

Mik\e

Sean McHenry
March 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM
That's what caught me last week. I thought it was over this weekend also. Thank goodness it's not. I have been so busy organizing my other shoot and location hunting (begging and pleading for a church to let me shoot a vampire story in their building), and finishing my studio space at night... I'm tired.

I suddenly remembered Lilly's song in Blazing Saddles...she's tired.

Sean

Christopher Ruiz
March 30th, 2006, 02:51 PM
My partner is an experimental choreographer, and currently in the MFA program @ University California Riverside... who is basically constructing a series of gestures based on "reflections" and whatever props I give her for this entry.

This is really going to be something curious here for sure.

Being that identity construction (with cultural and feminist undertones) is her thing... combined with my exagerrated aesthetic.

I'm warning you now something very experimental is going to come out of this. She's already suggested basing the entire piece around a toilet and carrying a TV down my neighborhood (something about developing photographs in a toilet too).

Philip Gioja
March 30th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Progress report: Nothing shot yet. I have my location rented out for tomorrow and Saturday, and have actors coming and most of the props lined up. I'm kinda nervous but with a lot of work and planning tonight I think I'm in good shape. Hope the weather holds.

Jonathan Jones
March 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM
She's already suggested basing the entire piece around a toilet and carrying a TV down my neighborhood (something about developing photographs in a toilet too).

Well......my curiosity is aroused.....and I feel genuinely creepy using that term in this case.

-Jon

Owen Bickford
March 30th, 2006, 04:01 PM
i'm trying to avoid any houses of mirrors and trying to get started. it's hard to shoot good video when you're a night owl.

Mark Utley
March 30th, 2006, 06:37 PM
I built some adapters for mounting gear that will make shooting easier. This weekend is going to be nonstop shooting / birthday partying (Saturday's my 19th birthday - the legal drinking age here...). I basically need to have everything shot by Monday night or I'm screwed.

Michael Fossenkemper
March 31st, 2006, 10:35 AM
question for the veterans, in one of my scenes, I have the news playing in the background, audio only for about 10 secs. Am I screwed or is this considered fair use?

Lorinda Norton
March 31st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Is the dialogue all that understandable or more like background noise?

We had this discussion about a year ago. Basically, if the you use something that enhances your video and it's copyrighted material (which includes the news), you should get permission. Given that, if you're concerned about it, maybe call the local station, tell them what you're doing, and get someone's okay.

In one of my little movies I didn't notice until it was too late that one of the actors was wearing a T-shirt that said "American Eagle" plain as day. I sent an email to the company--never heard back, of course--then submitted the movie anyway.

Michael Fossenkemper
March 31st, 2006, 11:23 AM
It's very audible. Whether or not it enhances it, is up for debate. It really could be anything that he's watching, he is apathetically watching tv. What the audio is, is not important to the scene. it's just the weather.

Problem is, I don't even remember which channel it was. hahaha. ehhh...

I guess i have to watch all the 10 oclock news and see if I can recognize the voice.

Normally I wouldn't care, but I just got done reading this comic about copywrite law

http://www.law.duke.edu/cspd/comics/

now it has me looking at everything in my scenes.

I guess in the worst case, they could make me pull it. But in the comic they site a couple of instances in which filmakers used news scenes that were important to the movie and didn't clear it and didn't get in trouble. hmmmm.....

And the laws seem to very lienent on use for educational purposes, which i'm guessing the challenge qualifies for.

Lorinda Norton
March 31st, 2006, 12:04 PM
And the laws seem to very lienent on use for educational purposes, which i'm guessing the challenge qualifies for.
Lol, Michael. What an angle! I never thought of it like that.

Because some argue that there is no gray area in this issue, if I were in your place I suppose I'd try my best to cover the bases by singling out the station (NYC--could be lots, huh?), and give them a call. Or you can take your chances. :)

Mark Utley
March 31st, 2006, 12:53 PM
Why not just record a friend reading the weather and use your own audio?

On the subject of copyright issues, does anyone know if lyrics are okay to be sang without playing the song? I might have a shot of a character singing along to a song with headphones on.

Michael Fossenkemper
March 31st, 2006, 01:07 PM
Why not just record a friend reading the weather and use your own audio?

On the subject of copyright issues, does anyone know if lyrics are okay to be sang without playing the song? I might have a shot of a character singing along to a song with headphones on.

Might do that. I emailed all of the news stations about clearing the audio, since it was quicker than finding the one I have. who ever responds with a positive gets used.

You are in the same boat i'm in. Lyrics in a song are copyrighted. Actually mine is kind of incidental which I can almost get away with. Yours on the other hand would not be incidental. I'd make up some lyrics and a melody. unless we take the educational defense.

Christopher Ruiz
March 31st, 2006, 06:04 PM
my footage is shot

the movement is flawless.

does it resonate reflections?

it DOES have a mirror in it.

What is a reflection anyways.

Bradley L Marlow
March 31st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Am pleased to announce that on Monday, I schlepped for 12 hours. Secretly hoping that I would be able to conclude all of these wild activities in one day...alas, I was unable to do so as the wind picked up and was beat to a pulp.

Weather was bad again Tuesday-Thursday, so did what editing I could.

Today was the last window on the weather so, another 6 hours of shooting. Am ready to edit this madness together. Hopefully it will work out.

On another note: I'm really excited to see everyone's work! Watching your short films is more fun for me than wasting away on the couch veiwing boring TV.

Best wishes everyone~
Bradley

Edward Slonaker
April 1st, 2006, 04:38 PM
I got 3 scenes left to shoot that we'll probably knock out tonight. Spent the morning finishing up all the exterior shots. VERY windy but still workable. Hopefully get this wrapped up tomorrow and online shortly thereafter. Woohoo!

Now, it's time for a wine break.....

Kris Holodak
April 1st, 2006, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't have minded much except that it made all the water in the reflecting pools choppy and not so reflective. I was also using this as an excuse to practice with the Steadicam Merlin that work bought. I'm bad enough at it to begin with, wind made it really hard. No time to reshoot though because I've been putting in 60 hour weeks on a documentary for work. So it is what it is. It's not going to turn out as good as I wanted when I started, but it will be finished one way or another. Darn it.

Michael Fossenkemper
April 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Jump up and spit, i'm finished. I sat in this uncomfortable chair all day today and now i'm done.

Philip Gioja
April 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM
Finished shooting a few hours ago. Major marathon, I'm beat. Still need to cut and record music/foley.

Edward Slonaker
April 1st, 2006, 11:13 PM
Well, I am *D O N E ! Think I'll take the rest of the night off. Gonna lose an hour's sleep (don't forget folks). I'll make space on the server tomorrow to upload. What a day.....