View Full Version : A1: Rode NTG1/NTG2 and DeadCat muff

Petteri Salmi
January 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Has anyone tried Rode NTG1 and Rode's DeadCat wind muff with A1? It's quite big. Do you think it would appear to full scan frame?

DeadCat picture:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-187701.html

Fredrik-Larsson
January 19th, 2006, 07:20 AM
The deadcat isn't very big at all. And it's just placed upon the mic. I have a NTG2 and the deadcat. Unfortunately I haven't fieldtested them yet so I can't say if it's a good combo.

What do you mean with full scan frame?

Petteri Salmi
January 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM
What do you mean with full scan frame?

Sorry, english isn't my mother tongue. I just ment when camera is zoomed out (wide angle).

Thanks for the info. Let me know when you have field tested your setup!

Stu Holmes
January 19th, 2006, 01:45 PM
I use Deadcat on my Rode videomic on my Sony Hc1000.
Doesn't appear in shot at all, even with a 0.7x wideangle converter.

Although the NTG1 with Deadcat is positioned differently on A1 than my Videomic on my cam, i think it's extremely unlikely to appear in shot.

Michael May
January 19th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I have the NTG2 and the deadcat. I haven't had the time to test the audio quality yet, but I have put it on the A1. It does not show up in the frame, but it does add a little unbalanced weight to the camera. It looks a little funny since the camera is so small, but other than that, I have no complaints.

Laurence Kingston
January 20th, 2006, 02:51 PM
The NTG1 is a little smaller than the NTG2 since it doesn't need the extra room for a battery. My NTG1 fits my A1 beautifully. The mic is out of view even with the fuzzy windscreen (a Rycote in my case) and a HG0737Y wide angle lens.

Petteri Salmi
January 21st, 2006, 02:19 AM
The NTG1 is a little smaller than the NTG2 since it doesn't need the extra room for a battery. My NTG1 fits my A1 beautifully. The mic is out of view even with the fuzzy windscreen (a Rycote in my case) and a HG0737Y wide angle lens.

Thanks for this information. What do you think about NTG1, is it working well with A1 and how about its quality?

Laurence Kingston
January 22nd, 2006, 07:14 PM
I just got the NTG1 and haven't used it on a job yet, but in tests it seems to be outstanding. The pattern is tight but not too tight and the levels work well with the A1's 10db pad switched on. My plan is basically to use two mics, one for indoors, one for out. I end up using the camera mic a lot because, though I have a boom setup, I don't usually have the extra body to use it. Plus, with the right setup, camera audio can actually be quite good. Anyway, for indoors I have a Sennheiser ME64 and for outdoors, the Rode NTG1. I'll end up using the NTG1 more because I work a lot more outdoors I'm sure. I have an SM-5 shockmount on order and this should help avoid camera noise.

Petteri Salmi
January 23rd, 2006, 01:46 AM
Anyway, for indoors I have a Sennheiser ME64 and for outdoors, the Rode NTG1.

Thanks again!

Personally I work more indoors, so maybe the ME64 would be the best mic for me? Although in many cases I'll use lavs (also indoor), so would NTG1 be a good compromise, I could use it both in/outdoor while not using lavs? I guess ME64 isn't so good outdoor mic?