View Full Version : A1U $500 rebate????

Pages : 1 [2]

David Saraceno
February 6th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Sure...

I ordered the camera from PrestigeCamera.com for $1781 + $89 s/h. Total came out to $1870.55, and minus the rebate brings it down to $1370.55, only $30 more than the cheapest HC1 I could find!!!

good luck, but I think that is another name for Broadway Photo:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

Hope it turns out alright.

Matthew Kent
February 6th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Wish I would have seen that before... for some reason, the reviews I saw beforehand were all fairly positive. As of now, their system says that my order is being packaged, and a tracking number should be emailed to me by the end of the day. *Crossing my fingers* ugh

Alexander Karol
February 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately, I would not bet on it. You should be getting a phone call from them soon. Then they will try to sell you their overpriced accessories. Obviously you'll deny, and your camcorder will coincidentally be placed on backorder...forever!

And that my friend, is a typical bait-and-switch scam. Fortunately, you will not lose any money unless you agree to receive the grey-market device. That is, with the manual, cables, A/C adapter. Just the camcorder...alone.

Let me know how it turned out.

Matthew Kent
February 6th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Oh, I did the phone call thing this morning... there wasn't any kind of problem. The guy confirmed my address, asked me if I'd like to order a battery or UV lens... I told him I already had both, and he told me it should be shipping out by the end of the day, which was reflected on their tracking system a few hours later. God I hope I'm one of the lucky ones with this! I did 3 day shipping, so it's got a constrained shipping time...

we'll see...

Matthew Kent
February 6th, 2006, 11:50 PM
Well, I just got my email confirmation that a package has been shipped, and it is currently trackable in the UPS system. I'll know on Thursday whether I got a good deal, or if they ripped me off. Wish me luck!

David Saraceno
February 7th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Matthew, do you see an issue with the rebate and Sony's requirements?

Dave Herzog
February 7th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Wow. Keep us posted! If this turns out well, it is obviously a considerable savings... who WOULDN'T want an A1 for 1370?!? We'll keep our fingers crossed too :)

Michael Liebergot
February 7th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I hope that's not the case, but there was a field for adding additional resellers. So I'm assuming Sony's list isn't a complete one.

Mathew, unfortunately I don't think that Sony will recognize them as an authorized reseller. So the rebate won't apply. Sony is pretty firm about who is and who isn't an authorized reseller. Most to none of those discount stores are considered authorized sellers.
B & H is pretty much as low as you will find for an authorized reseller, although some might be a bit lower ($20-50), but not a lot lower.

Alexander Karol
February 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
You're most probably receiving a grey-market camcorder. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get any warranty neither, which has been mentioned by some of the folks at resellerratings.com.

Bob Zimmerman
February 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Maybe it will never need fixed!!

Matthew Kent
February 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM
?? Not sure what you mean Bob...

I was wondering, are there any differences between an HVR-A1 and an HVR-A1U?

I know the U stands for USA, like the E on the A1E is for Europe. On the website I ordered from, they list the camera as just A1. Only really wondering for the rebate.

Bob Zimmerman
February 8th, 2006, 03:22 AM
Maybe you will never have to send the camera in for repair (to Japan or someplace) if you end up with a camera with no warranity.

If you payed by credit card you might be able to get them to stop payment. If it is a good credit card company they will be glad to do it if your getting ripped off. I would call and ask what can be done and do it right away.

Bill McMullen
February 8th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Whoa, don't panic the guy! I think he should at least see if they can meet the shipping time-frame they gave him. If it starts getting slim shady, then start making calls.

I hope it works out smoothly.

Also, in my experience, grey market or straight-up purchased from the Sony store here in NYC, getting broken electronics fixed is always a chore. It's gonna suck either way. So if the thing arrives, and you get a good price, you're still doing alright.

By the way, I think the A1U and A1E, etc., cameras are just off-handedly referred to as the 'A1,' I don't believe there's a specific 'A1' model. Let us know when you get it, Matthew.

Duane Smith
February 9th, 2006, 02:09 AM
Okay, this rebate has really gotten my attention. I don't need HD at the moment (and really can't even use it for any of my already-scheduled 2006 projects, to be honest)....but at this price, I don't know if I can pass it up.

I currently shoot with a PDX10 in DVCAM mode (SD). We now have a need to buy a second camera, one that will work within similar parameters as our current one (meaning 16:9 DV, interlaced, same audio setup, etc). So we looked into the price of buying another new one from B&H, but and when it's all said and done, there's only a $300 difference between a PDX10 and an A1U (which is well within my budget).

Wow. I just can't believe this price. Now if I can just get over a few annoying egronomic issues with the A1, I just might have to order one....

Alexander Karol
February 9th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Duane, I am sure you can. The A1 DOES take some getting used to, but once you so, you can't imagine going back to anything else you have. Sure the bottom loading tape mechanism is a pain-in-the-butt, but there are numerous adapters out there that has resolves this issue.

Duane Smith
February 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Well the bottom-loading isn't the ONLY thing I don't like; I'd prefer manual buttons instead of on-screen, and I'd prefer the eyepiece pull out like my PDX10 (althought I think an iCuff would help).

But I think the IMAGE improvment will make it worthwhile to learn to live with those annoyances.

I'm definately going to run this idea by the boss. :-)

Bob Zimmerman
February 9th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Well the bottom-loading isn't the ONLY thing I don't like; I'd prefer manual buttons instead of on-screen, and I'd prefer the eyepiece pull out like my PDX10 (althought I think an iCuff would help).

But I think the IMAGE improvment will make it worthwhile to learn to live with those annoyances.

What are you using now for the 4x4 DVD? The PDX?

Bill McMullen
February 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Agreed, the on-screen menus, while well-organized and better than most, are still on-screeen. But I guess that is one of the compromises for size and cost.
A friend of mine who has the PDX10 also cites the lack of 'pro' data offered to you by the A1U, like using '+' and '-' everywhere instead of actual gain, exposure, and f-stop settings... But he's having a hard time resisting the HDV. I think it could still be taken a few steps further in the 'pro' direction, but I've covered that in my previous posts in this thread.

Duane Smith
February 9th, 2006, 06:44 PM
What are you using now for the 4x4 DVD? The PDX?

Yes. It fits my needs well -- small enough to run-and-gun with all day long (generally, I shoot for 2 days straight, 8+ hours per day). The PDX10 has it's own fair share of problems, but I've learned to avoid them as well. And thankfully, EVERYTHING that I shoot is outdoors in full daylight, so the bad low-light performance isn't an issue.

Why, do you think the A1 would be a bad choice for what I'm shooting? Or maybe a good one?

LOL!

Bob Zimmerman
February 10th, 2006, 03:19 AM
. Probably better and like you said you are shooting outside,,

Matthew Kent
February 10th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Well, I recieved my camera today... been playing with it for hours now. And you guys were right, Definately black market... it's the A1J, and no warrenty, and worst of all, no rebate... I think I'm gonna have to sell my left eye to cover this.

Actually, considering the lowest real retail price minus the rebate, I think I did alright. I was pretty close to buying a DVX100 around the same price, which wouldn't have had a warrenty, and would have been more likely to had problems (since it was 3 years old).

So all in all... a somewhat scary ride, but worth it so far. I'm going to try and brake this thing in over the next couple weeks with my depth of field rig... will post some samples when I get something worthy...

thanks for all the support guys.

Bob Zimmerman
February 10th, 2006, 03:51 AM
Did you pay buy credit card? Call them and tell them you got scammed. They will stop payment and once you know its been stopped call that dealer up ask where he wants the camera shipped back too. Ask him to send you a shipping label Let him pay for the shipping.

Most credit card companies are good about helping.

Matthew Kent
February 10th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Unless I'd be able to keep the camera, I think I'll stick with it... and like I said, I think, even without the rebate, I got a pretty good price.

Lee Kazimir
February 10th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Anybody had a problem processing the Rebate form online? I filled it all out, clicked "Submit invoice and finish" and it just stalls and stalls.... I'm using Firefox.

Lee

David Saraceno
February 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Lee, used Firefox Mac for mine, and it worked without a hitch.

Bill McMullen
February 12th, 2006, 03:49 AM
It is a good price, and it will probably be just fine, Matthew - enjoy the camera. Let's see those "35mm lens" tests when you can get them up...

But you should go on to one of those (or several) sites where you can leave ratings for retailers and let others know that you received a grey-market item from that company.

Others might not be as willing to cope with that, and might appreciate the warning if they happen to see it.

Lee Kazimir
February 20th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks guys, I was indeed able to get the form filled out with Firefox. Must have been a momentary error either on their server or with my computer.

Lee

Robert M Wright
February 20th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I'm sure the rebate is legit. If there was any problem with it, B&H is a class enough outfit, that they would probably take it out of their own pocket to make things right with the customer if they had to.

John Holmes
March 15th, 2006, 02:35 PM
It's real.

Go to: http://www.sony.com/hdv

Steve Peralta
March 15th, 2006, 02:54 PM
They say this rebate is only for business users and you need to fill out the rebate form under the business name? can anyone confrim this?

Don Donatello
March 15th, 2006, 03:12 PM
from sony site

Rebate checks will be issued in the name of the business or person purchasing the eligible product which, if applicable, must match the accompanying invoice/evidence.

Bill McMullen
March 25th, 2006, 02:11 AM
For anyone who cares, I received my rebate check today... I had sent the rebate form/etc. in on Feb. 4th.

Dave F. Nelson
April 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM
Looks like there's plenty of time to get the HVR-A1U... and now we know the truth. The HDR-HC1 was discontinued so it wouldn't cannabalize sales of the HVR-A1U and was replaced by the HDR-HC3, which definitely won't hurt HVR-A1U sales.

I copied this information from the Sony HVR-A1U Rebate Site:
https://www.rebate-zone.com/default....DirectID=10680

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Promotion Details

Promotion Name Sony HVRA1U HDV Camcorder $500 Rebate
Promotion Description Receive $500.00 mail-in rebate for the purchase of a Sony HVR-A1U HDV product.
Promotion Number 060010A
Start Date 4/1/2006
End Date 9/30/2006
Hardcopy Postmark Date 10/31/2006
Customer Service (866) 881-1114 or Email Customer Service

Click next to confirm your selection.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to get the HDR-HC1 you'd better get-a-move-on. There's still one here in San Diego at the Best Buy in Oceanside.

--Dave