View Full Version : Uninterruptible Power Supplies - UPS

Anthony McErlean
August 16th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Hi, could someone please recommend one for me (well a friend of mine).
Its for an office desktop, two monitors and BT router.
I never had one myself so I know nothing about them :)

Thanks in advance.

Charlie Ross
August 16th, 2023, 06:59 PM
I've used UPS units since the 1990's including as a graphics service provider. Additionally after that for a one person video producer, publisher, back to video etc.
My current unit is a Cyberpower LX1325GU purchased around 2017. Maybe I'm senile but the only time I remember replacing the batteries was last year. Where I live for the past 4 years has the most erratic power outages of any place I've lived.

The Cyberpower is handling two full sized desktop PCs, two 27" monitors and one 32" monitor. I think I have my small audio amplifiers for both PCs plugged in too. My router is not plugged in because if the power goes out here, so does my internet service's incoming signal.

The transition from line power to UPS power has always been reliable and so seamless that I have to look at the UPS front panel to check what it is I'm running from. I like that this UPS doesn't have a fit and set off beeps and squeals because . . . I kind of know for myself when the building loses power.

Probably any proper UPS made now will have monitoring software (battery capacity remaining, percentage of capacity being used, battery run time for what you are consuming now, if the building were to lose power, etc.) You see this from a small "gadget" on your PCs screen, connected by wireless or USB cable.

Larrie Easterly
August 16th, 2023, 09:57 PM
We have two APC, https://www.apc.com/us/e, UPS systems. One for the computer, hard drives, and monitor. The other for all the networking gear. Have been very happy with them. The APC website has a has a buyer and selection guide.

Anthony McErlean
August 17th, 2023, 05:07 AM
Thank you guys, that's a great help.

Anthony McErlean
August 21st, 2023, 07:33 AM
I've used UPS units since the 1990's including as a graphics service provider. Additionally after that for a one person video producer, publisher, back to video etc.
My current unit is a Cyberpower LX1325GU purchased around 2017. Maybe I'm senile but the only time I remember replacing the batteries was last year. Where I live for the past 4 years has the most erratic power outages of any place I've lived.

The Cyberpower is handling two full sized desktop PCs, two 27" monitors and one 32" monitor. I think I have my small audio amplifiers for both PCs plugged in too. My router is not plugged in because if the power goes out here, so does my internet service's incoming signal.

The transition from line power to UPS power has always been reliable and so seamless that I have to look at the UPS front panel to check what it is I'm running from. I like that this UPS doesn't have a fit and set off beeps and squeals because . . . I kind of know for myself when the building loses power.

Probably any proper UPS made now will have monitoring software (battery capacity remaining, percentage of capacity being used, battery run time for what you are consuming now, if the building were to lose power, etc.) You see this from a small "gadget" on your PCs screen, connected by wireless or USB cable.

Charlie, what watts is that Cyberpower LX1325GU you have?

I was getting a quote for a 1000w unit but its over £1000. I couldn't spend as much as that.

He only needs enough time to save his work and power off the PC really.

https://www.apc.com/uk/en/product/SMT1500IC/apc-smartups-line-interactive-1500va-tower-230v-8x-iec-c13-outlets-smartconnect-port+smartslot-avr-lcd/

Thanks.

Chris Soucy
August 22nd, 2023, 02:12 AM
Hi Anthony................

If your mate only wants enough time to scram the system down on a power out, a single office desktop/ screen/ router should have about 10 - 15 minutes with a 750VA UPS.

They can be had here at AEOP (Ass End Of Planet) for about NZ $300 - $700, so a thousand quidlets sounds like extortion.
(1 GBP = NZD 2.15)

Haven't been in the UK for a long time so all my sources there are long gone, but you should be able to scare a decent one up for UK 150 - 300.

Regards,

CS

Anthony McErlean
August 22nd, 2023, 02:23 AM
Hi Anthony................

If your mate only wants enough time to scram the system down on a power out, a single office desktop/ screen/ router should have about 10 - 15 minutes with a 750VA UPS.

They can be had here at AEOP (Ass End Of Planet) for about NZ $300 - $700, so a thousand quidlets sounds like extortion.
(1 GBP = NZD 2.15)

Haven't been in the UK for a long time so all my sources there are long gone, but you should be able to scare a decent one up for UK 150 - 300.

Regards,

CS

Ahh thanks Chris, thats more like it.

I'll find someone now I know what to aim for.

Thank you.

Ron Evans
August 22nd, 2023, 07:59 AM
This a link to Amazon Canada for a good UPS from APC

https://www.amazon.ca/APC-Smart-UPS-SmartConnect-Uninterruptible-SMC1500C/dp/B077Y62GSJ/ref=sxin_17_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.4f89543f-3a1c-4b47-9bc7-cf064bdb5b83%3Aamzn1.sym.4f89543f-3a1c-4b47-9bc7-cf064bdb5b83&crid=1LXBGCFX4543C&cv_ct_cx=UPS&keywords=UPS&pd_rd_i=B077Y62GSJ&pd_rd_r=1c82153a-0e29-4caa-be43-fe97d8cb499b&pd_rd_w=l0nMF&pd_rd_wg=bIysG&pf_rd_p=4f89543f-3a1c-4b47-9bc7-cf064bdb5b83&pf_rd_r=1F3W5AE8RPS1J9QFQQ1T&qid=1692712456&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=ups%2Caps%2C101&sr=1-3-0f7244e8-362a-4e55-b1f7-8fcbab0352e4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&th=1

That is £ 425.

Anthony McErlean
August 22nd, 2023, 08:08 AM
Thanks Ron.

Don Palomaki
August 30th, 2023, 07:43 AM
Key thing to remember about most affordable UPS is that they are mainly to smooth out hic-ups in the power lines, surges, and very brief outages. In the case of longer power outages running more than a few minutes their purpose is to allow the user to do a graceful shut down of the computer and thus prevent loss of data. How many minutes run time you get depends on the connected load and the batteries in the UPS. The unit's specifications and user guide should help you assess that. If you want continuity of operations during long outages you will need a back-up generator.

As noted above different makes/models will have different features, alarm capability, and maintenance (e.g., battery replacement) requirements. Longer run-time, load capacity, and more features = higher price point.

Anthony McErlean
August 31st, 2023, 04:49 AM
Key thing to remember about most affordable UPS is that they are mainly to smooth out hic-ups in the power lines, surges, and very brief outages. In the case of longer power outages running more than a few minutes their purpose is to allow the user to do a graceful shut down of the computer and thus prevent loss of data. How many minutes run time you get depends on the connected load and the batteries in the UPS. The unit's specifications and user guide should help you assess that. If you want continuity of operations during long outages you will need a back-up generator.

As noted above different makes/models will have different features, alarm capability, and maintenance (e.g., battery replacement) requirements. Longer run-time, load capacity, and more features = higher price point.

Thanks Don, the unit is needed just to power down the PC in the event of the mains electricty going off.
Just a few short mins to save the work, thats all.

Thanks.