View Full Version : State Attempts to Sink Blackbeard Infringement Case by “Deep Sixing” the Law They Pas

Rick L. Allen
August 10th, 2023, 04:44 PM
“Finally, on June 30, 2023, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper signed a bill repealing Blackbeard’s Law. The repeal came after eight years of litigation and is apparently triggered by the State’s realization that it had no legitimate defense to at least one of the federal court claims: that Blackbeard’s Law was a constitutionally prohibited ‘Bill of Attainder’ — a bill that targets and harms an individual, without any due process at all. Since various State legislators had admitted to the motivation, it would have been hard to show otherwise.” State Attempts to Sink Blackbeard Infringement Case by ?Deep Sixing? the Law They Passed to Claim the Copyrights - Office of Copyright (http://copyright.nova.edu/blackbeard/)

Allan Black
August 11th, 2023, 12:31 AM
Rick I read through your article and it seems you’ve got a vested interest in this long winded copyright case.

Fighting city hall can be a crap shoot but it looks like you’ve got a good case against the state of N.C. and as your Bill Allen says, the action will likely result in 7 figures.

The final details of the copyright ruling should interest others here on the forum. Good luck.

Cheers.

Barry Lloyd
August 14th, 2023, 11:56 PM
I have to wonder how much time and cost is involved in defending the copywrite. Looks to me as if the state is playing he long game trying to wear out the defendent to the extent of giving up.
What happens if another state does the same, would the battle start over again? or does the ruling cover the whole of the USA? Being in England the USA laws seem strange