View Full Version : Recording the output onto a Mac

Paul R Johnson
October 7th, 2022, 01:08 AM
I’ve hit a snag and I’d appreciate some suggestions.

Studio is currently set up to run three Jvc 700 series cameras, and a computer input via a black magic ATEM studio switcher, into a hyper deck which record the output. A project coming up needs the hyper deck to play clips so I figured easy, I’ll just use OBS which I rarely use on a pc. I put OBS on the Mac and discovered it doesn’t like the variety of video the Blackmagic sends via the USB out. There is a fix for PC users that converts it, but not for the Mac? I can buy a BM gizmo that does it, but there must be a simple way to record the output of the switcher to the Mac? The pc editor with OBS is 18m away, so USB is too far. My assumption is this must be common so I might be able to bodge something. I do have an ATEM mini, so I suppose I could squirt HDMI into that, then USB-C into the Mac, but that’s a crazy but workable way to do it.

Any suggestions on a nice simple no cost solution? I’ve thought maybe going back to recording on the hyper deck and playing in via another computer, but that means audio to fiddle with too. Grrrr

Andrew Smith
October 7th, 2022, 03:29 AM
Call me simple minded if you want, but is it possible to move the PC editor about 17 metres closer?

Andrew

Patrick Tracy
October 7th, 2022, 11:03 AM
There are several BMD format converters that would probably work, but I bet they use the same process used in the Mini. If you have the Mini available, why not use it?

Paul R Johnson
October 9th, 2022, 02:52 AM
Well Andrew, that would be great if I wanted to edit in the studio, it’s currently done at my desk on a computer networked into the studio but not usb connected. I can control the switcher in the studio from there but not the computer in there. The studio has an iMac, the office edit machine is a pc.

Patrick, I think I’ll end up doing this, but it sort of ties up a gizmo I might need to use elsewhere? But I think you’re right.I’m may as well use it.

Greg Miller
October 15th, 2022, 09:32 PM
There are a number of different "USB extender" cables available. Some have a longish USB cable (20m should be possible if you shop around) with some active electronics at one or both ends. I even have a different type which is 100ft long (maybe 150ft) and is a bit more complex: The "input" end has a USB male, active electronics, then RJ45 jack with proprietary output signal. The "output" end has RJ45 jack to accept input signal, active electronics, then USB female. This takes a standard Cat5 cable, although the signal is NOT ethernet protocol.

My cables are pretty old and are USB2 at best. But perhaps if you shop around you can find some cables with similar functionality that are fast enough for your intended use.

Here's one example I found quickly. NOT the brand I have and I can't personally vouch for this one, but just to show you that such a thing exists.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098CTZ5TG/din02c-20/din02c-20

Of course you will most likely find better specs and more appropriate product from a pro A/V dealer, as opposed to Amazon.

Paul R Johnson
October 16th, 2022, 03:37 AM
I've got a couple of those in my audio studio as the computers are in a separate space for fan noise reasons. They work fine there, but there is a speed penalty - putting an SD card in them and copying it to the computer is noticeably slower than opening a door and putting the SD card in the computer slot. Not sure if that will impact direct recording? Perhaps fast enough for HD 1080? Only way is to try it I guess!
P

Greg Miller
October 16th, 2022, 11:43 AM
I'm sorry I can't tell you for sure, Paul. Since you originally mentioned USB, I'm hoping some version of extender will be adequate. I'll be interested to hear the results of your test.