View Full Version : Horseshoe Crabs Breeding -- shot with Sony FX6

Doug Jensen
March 23rd, 2021, 01:47 PM
I shot this in a couple of hours last week with my Sony FX6. Too bad it was in the middle of the day, but that's when the wind and tide were right for the crabs. Later that afternoon I heard they were gone again. I've added some titles to it and donated it for use at a local nature center museum. It might seem a little long, but they requested a slower, relaxing, video that gives visitors the chance to observe the behavior of the animals.

Camera: Sony FX6
Lens: Sony 24-105 f/4 and Canon 200mm f/2.8
Tripod system: Sachtler Aktiv8 head and Flowtech75 legs (submerged in sea water)
Recording format: 4K XAVC-I @ 29.97p
Shooting mode: S-LOG3 (graded in DaVinci Resolve)

https://youtu.be/J8hkSwIywqY

Mick Jenner
March 26th, 2021, 08:44 AM
Thanks for posting Doug. Enjoyed watching as well as educating myself. As you say ideal length of time to be shown at a visitor centre.

That results from the camera appear awesome. Looks like a move up from the fs5mk2 for me could be on the cards in the near future.

Doug Jensen
March 26th, 2021, 06:30 PM
Thank you.
Yeah, the FX6 would be a nice step up from any version of the FS5.

Bob Safay
April 9th, 2021, 07:36 AM
Doug, what a great and informative video. Beautiful footage. They are so prehistoric. I remember as a kid in Brooklyn watching hundreds of them coming onto the beaches. Didn't know the lived over 20 years. Just got back from a 22 day, 5080 mile road trip. Shot a lot of video with the intend of posting on Shutterstock and Pond5. Stay safe, Bob

Doug Jensen
April 9th, 2021, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear you had time to do some shooting on your trip. We leave on Tuesday for a 4500 mile trip with 5 days in Big Bend National Park in the middle. I am so looking forward to getting on the road. Also planing to be in Yellowstone and Grand Teton in September before heading down to to Vegas for NAB in mid-October. Hopefully Covid is on its way out and it will call come off as planned.

Bob Safay
April 11th, 2021, 07:37 AM
Doug, safe travels. I did the southern States, through Louisiana to Austin up to Amarillo over to NM and Colorado then back to Atlanta. All on back roads. Have fun, Bob

Ray Dunakin
May 18th, 2021, 11:02 PM
Very nice video! They are such odd creatures. Did you know they have blue, copper-based blood?