View Full Version : Advice on SSD please.

Anthony McErlean
June 26th, 2020, 12:15 PM
Hi all, sorry, if I've posted in the wrong section.

I've this SSD enclosure order and I'm not sure what SSD to get for it.

perfk M.2 NGFF SSD to 2.5'' IDE 44pin Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm replacing the hard drive in an old Sony Vaio laptop with this, if it works out. :)

Can someone please link me to the exact SSD :)

Thanks in advance.

Pete Cofrancesco
June 26th, 2020, 03:47 PM
edit: Must be an old laptop if it uses a IDE PATA connection. I'd think you'd be better with a newer laptop.

Anthony McErlean
June 26th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Hi thanks, the laptop still works but it’s not used at all and I just thought if I could get it up and going again with a faster c drive , some of the grandchildren might get a bit of fun out of it. It’s worth a try :). But need a link to the correct ssd :)

Thanks in advance.

Anthony McErlean
June 27th, 2020, 07:30 AM
My enclosure...

perfk M.2 NGFF SSD to 2.5'' IDE 44pin Converter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

The enclosure I've ordered says... Support M.2 NGFF interface SATA.... but when I look for a NGFF M.2 SSD the one I see doesn't look as if its the correct connecting socket for my enclosure,

https://pcpepper.com/sata-vs-msata-vs-ngff-m-2-vs-nvme-pcie-m-2-which-is-the-right-ssd-for-me/

Help me out here guys please :)

Link me to the correct SSD, thanks.

John Nantz
June 27th, 2020, 11:49 AM
Hi Anthony,

Realize this is not my expertise but as one who is keeping my old computers up and running I couldn't resist trying to find something that might help.

Did a search for Sony Vaio SSD upgrade and came across this Crucial Sony support page. There are a LOT of Vaio models! If one of them matches what you have that may be some help.

A while back I upgraded my wife's old Mac Book White circa 2006 and got one of the last SSDs available for it. All I can say is, that really put some life into the old computer! So, your plan is worth working on, hope this page might be some help: https://www.crucial.com/upgrades/sony

Anthony McErlean
June 27th, 2020, 12:44 PM
Thank you John, I'll look that up :)

Thanks

Pete Cofrancesco
June 27th, 2020, 04:43 PM
If your laptop takes a sata then I’d just get 2.5” ssd no enclosure or adapter should be necessary. essentially you should be swapping out a spinner drive for a solid state that’s the same physical dimensions

Anthony McErlean
June 27th, 2020, 05:31 PM
Hi thank you but no, it doesn’t take a sata drive, if I had a link to the correct SSD to fit the enclosure I’ve just ordered, thank you.

Anthony McErlean
June 27th, 2020, 05:43 PM
Thank you John, I'll look that up :)

Thanks

Hi John, no, my laptop is not listed, but thanks anyway.

Donald McPherson
June 28th, 2020, 01:56 AM
If this is an adaptor as stated would it not accept any SSD with a sata plug? At least that's how I see it.

Anthony McErlean
June 28th, 2020, 04:05 AM
If this is an adaptor as stated would it not accept any SSD with a sata plug? At least that's how I see it.

Hi Donald, as far as I see, only a certain type with the correct connection will work with that enclosure.

Thanks Donald.

Would this SSD fit the enclosure I've ordered?

Kingston A400 SSD SA400M8/120G - Internal Solid State Drive M.2 2280, 120 GB: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Anthony McErlean
June 28th, 2020, 04:23 AM
If it's proving difficult matching that enclosure to an SSD, if someone could link me too another 2.5'' IDE 44pin Adapter/enclosure with a compatible SSD :)

Thanks in advance,

Anthony McErlean
June 28th, 2020, 04:32 AM
I seen this instead and if I used a 128 GB SDXC Card along with it,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B66QJHK/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJEL2871DU6G7