View Full Version : Live Stream. Got the gear need to connect...

David Banner
May 12th, 2020, 11:40 AM
Hi all. I have a switcher and Black Magic Web Presenter but I am looking for advice on how to get the video stream from the Web Presenter to the internet viewing audience.
This will be for a dance recital but in the future I may offer it for corporate and weddings.

Andrew Smith
May 12th, 2020, 04:12 PM
We should have some posts in this section about using a 4GX cellular modem for an internet connection out in the field. Also worth checking if the venue has an internet connection that can be used.

Andrew

David Banner
May 12th, 2020, 10:18 PM
Thank you. I am waiting on a call back from the venue regarding using their internet connection. I am trying to determine a way of providing my own via cellular(?) if they say no or even as a backup. That is what I am trying to learn about now and it's all new to me. Been reading some other threads here but I haven't figured it out yet

David Banner
May 12th, 2020, 10:22 PM
Any ideas on how to deal with the music problem as sites like youtube or facebook streaming will likely flag the stream due to music, not knowing whether it's been cleared or not.
I have to fight youtube on nearly all my uploaded videos containing cleared music, so I expect a live stream dance recital full of songs will be a major problem. Other alternatives to youtube and FB etc?

Andrew Smith
May 13th, 2020, 01:07 AM
It's too much to be responsible for when you don't have control over the event. In fact, it's always unwise to take responsibility fro anything you don't have control over.

My advice is to warn the client / producer ASAP that copyright matches can have a detrimental impact on the stream. It's then up to them as to what is played and accepting the consequences of that. You've done all that you can do.

Andrew

Donald McPherson
May 13th, 2020, 03:57 AM
I simply connect my laptop wifi to my android phone with Mobile hotspot and tehering.

David Banner
May 13th, 2020, 05:14 PM
Thank you. The venue does have a hard wired internet connection I can plug into and no one else should be using during that time. So it sounds like that part of the equation is possible. But I do not have a backup other than a cell phone so that makes me very nervious. The client said the stream is a no charge courtesy with no guarantees so if it crashes then "buy a DVD".

I discussed the music situation today and they understand the issue. So now it's determininng what can be done

Andrew Smith
May 13th, 2020, 05:44 PM
Be sure to test the bandwidth on the connection prior to the event. You don't want to find out the hard way.

Andrew

David Banner
May 13th, 2020, 06:36 PM
Yes sir. They said I can come and do that. They said it's about 15up/30 down speed.