View Full Version : Is the FZ2000 the answer for wildlife video?

Pages : 1 [2]

Roger Gunkel
December 21st, 2016, 02:54 PM
Chris, I use the Panny app on my iPad, my Android pad and an older Samsung android phone that is just used for camera monitoring and control.

Roger

Chris Harding
December 21st, 2016, 08:19 PM
Thanks Roger

I'll put the app on my tablet and give it a whirl. Still wading thru the huge 2500 advanced manual ..this camera seems like a 747 flight deck compared to the 1000! So many new features that are awesome!!

I'm sure it will be on your wish list ....you will love the Fn button slow zooms for weddings they are awesome as is the touch screen focus and also touch screen exposure comp if you have a backlit situation!

Roger Gunkel
December 22nd, 2016, 05:15 AM
Thanks Roger

I'll put the app on my tablet and give it a whirl. Still wading thru the huge 2500 advanced manual ..this camera seems like a 747 flight deck compared to the 1000! So many new features that are awesome!!

I'm sure it will be on your wish list ....you will love the Fn button slow zooms for weddings they are awesome as is the touch screen focus and also touch screen exposure comp if you have a backlit situation!

I'll probably postpone my purchase until the Spring when we have a lot of weddings booked. I've already overspent this year as the photographic side has taken off with almost all video weddings being with the joint photo package and a big increase in photo only weddings. We invested in the second FZ1000 for Claire early in the year, plus a Canon DSLR for her, 5 new Canon lenses, two additional GoPro clones, 2 additional voice recorders and various mics and ancilliaries and a second set of studio lights. We now have identical kit for double weddings. Of course I will also have to buy two FZ2000s rather than one :-(

Roger

Chris Harding
December 22nd, 2016, 06:26 AM
Fair enough ..doesn't make sense to have one in the freezing cold when you really won't even use it!! Being in the Southern Hemisphere it's full blown Summer (42 degrees Celcius yesterday) but again a quiet period over the Festive Season. Our first wedding is actually New Years Day 2017 and the couple are flying out from Liverpool to get married on the beach in the sun!! I'm doing a live broadcast too on the FZ2500 so I'll send you the link later!

In the meantime hope you and Claire have a great Christmas!!

Roger Gunkel
December 22nd, 2016, 07:54 AM
Fair enough ..doesn't make sense to have one in the freezing cold when you really won't even use it!! Being in the Southern Hemisphere it's full blown Summer (42 degrees Celcius yesterday) but again a quiet period over the Festive Season. Our first wedding is actually New Years Day 2017 and the couple are flying out from Liverpool to get married on the beach in the sun!! I'm doing a live broadcast too on the FZ2500 so I'll send you the link later!

In the meantime hope you and Claire have a great Christmas!!

We might do the beach on New Year's Day with the dog, but it will probably be below zero! I'll look forward to seeing how your live broadcast goes with the new camera.

Thanks for the Christmas wishes, it will be our first Christmas Day off for 12 years as we are normally doing a music show, but gave it a miss this year.

All the best for Christmas and the New Year to you and yours :-)

Roger

Chris Harding
December 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM
Thanks Roger

Don't envy the UK weather at this time of the year!! We are actually "cheating" on this live broadcast due to the time difference between the UK and here so we will record in the afternoon and then stream a delayed broadcast 4 hours later otherwise the poor folks in Liverpool will have to get up so early in the morning in the freezing cold to watch it. We are planning to do it direct from the camera at mid-day UK time so they can warm up a bit first and not have to roll out of bed at sunrise!!

The event page is at :
https://livestream.com/videohouse/events/6741648

Larry Johnson
December 22nd, 2016, 09:29 AM
My daughter got me the only FZ2500 in Perth a few days ago ( sorry Chris)] It's really outstanding but for this thread it seems there is a 40 x zoom available but only for 8 mb files, if this is all you want then you can't ask for more at this price or any other! I've not tested it but they claim no deterioration in quality. so far I'm really impressed by this camera, exceeding my expectations but I need to spend more time finding out what it's capable of.

Congrats Mike! I almost pulled the trigger on one through Adorama, but didn't see an option to include V-log and the salesman didn't know either. Is V-log an available add on as was suggested in pre-reviews? Can it be added later? How does one purchase and download it?

Edit: ordered one.

Mike Griffiths
December 24th, 2016, 08:02 AM
I got my FZ2500 from Australia while on holiday in Phuket, Thailand. I played with it, not seriously, but I'm posting some clips for you to see.Simply because these cameras are difficult to get hold of and you might just want to take a look. It seems to have a 40x optical extension in FHD mode, just trired one shot. Please do not comment on the videography- I was on holiday!. I'm impressed with the camera, really easy to use. I tried the 4K JPEG setting it really works! Now, Like Chris, I have to master the 270 pages on the manual.
All 1080p, MOV 50fps 100mbps. Remember YT will degrade the image.
You can watch it here. THE MIC ON THE BOAT WAS THE STEREO VIDEO MIC AND IT WAS THE OPTICAL EXTENDER NOT THE DIGITAL

https://youtu.be/PBSouYjkuQU

Chris Harding
December 24th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Hi Mike

They are truly awesome cameras are they not? I haven't played with mine yet cos I was busy making a handheld rig for mine. They take a lot of beating!!

Well I have 3 x FZ's now .. 2 xFZ1000 and 1 x FZ2500 .... I must give the 100mbps mode a whirl too ..Have you tried it in Intra Mode (200mbps) ...Even at 20mbps it's a stunning image!!

Mike Griffiths
December 26th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know what the significance of the zoom display bar is when it turns blue at the end? The display indicates the focal length in 35mm equivalents and when on optical zoom this can exceed 1000 mm but the last ? 20% of the display is blue and I can't find out why. Does it indicate a deterioration in quality? I've searched the advanced manual and there seems to be no refernce to it there.

Chris Harding
December 27th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Hi Mike

Check if Digital Zoom is on or off ...intelligent zoom is supposed to not affect the image but digital zoom will. What is on and what is off on your menu? If you let me know I'll see if my camera does the same?

Roger Gunkel
December 27th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Hi Mike and Chris,

The FZ1000 has the same, you've probably never noticed Chris. If you have Intelligent zoom on, you will get an increased range over the optical zoom, as it is using the extra pixels on the edges of the sensor. The blue indication is showing it is going into the extra range. Of course once you also use the digital zoom, you are enlarging the pixels and reducing sharpness.

I've also noticed on the FZ1000 in Intelligent zoom that there is a slight hesitation as it moves in or out of the extended range. Hopefully the FZ2000/2500 doesn't do the same.

Roger

Chris Harding
December 27th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Thanks Roger

Awesome ..nice to know ...Yes you are right I very seldom have intelligent zoom turned on. Most of my shoots are wide and up to maybe 70mm (35mm equiv) at best. Admittedly I did have a shot or two when we had the super moon a few weeks ago but normally I keep iZoom and Digital Zoom off in the menu. Panasonic obviously used the FZ1000 firmware as a starting point and just added the new features to the FZ2500 camera. I made up a handheld rig for the FZ2500 and Panasonic have shifted the tripod mount to the middle which is no biggie but they have also shifted the battery lid about 10mm from the edge of the camera casing so I can no longer make a battery box cutout in my 40mm wide aluminium flat bar ..I guess I will have to get a wider piece of flat bar so the cutout hole is within the width of the plate. It's no real deal as the main camera sits on top of the XLR mixer anyway so I have to take that off to gain access to under the camera body. There is always a solution..They put the SD slot on the side which is great ..pity they didn't make the battery box with an end entry rather than a bottom one!!

Mike Griffiths
December 27th, 2016, 07:35 PM
Found it- light blue indicates optical xoom, dark blue digital zoom

Mike Griffiths
December 27th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Does anyone know what DC coupler and AC adaptor this camera takes? I assume is must be the same as other Panasonic cameras with the same battery but I can't find any reference.

BTW time lapse for 2 hours and the battery was indicating 2 bars. I will run it on video to empty to test ( I film plays and need to be sure of battery life)

Chris Harding
December 27th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Hi Mike

There are quite a few on eBay that says they suit the FZ1000 so one must assume they will work for the 2500 as well. Not very pricey either.

The official coupler is a DMW-DCC8 and the official power supply is a DMW-AC10 ...The ebay places will quote these model numbers if you look for them

Mike Griffiths
December 31st, 2016, 07:49 PM
Here I go again, new to the FZ! Happy New Year to all but I have a question.

Does the FZ2500 have AGC? I was testing it under low light conditions in a restaurant with a singer and a backgound of people eating and chatting. I was using a Rode video pro mic and was about 3 metres away from the singer. In the quiet parts I think I can hear an increae in hiss/hum which seemed to fade when the singer sang again.I can remove it in FCPX. It seemed to be AGC but I can find no reference to it in the advanced manual nor on line. If it is there I want to switch it off!

Help please!

J.T. Price
February 6th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Mike, How well did the 2500 handle the heat and humidity. Chris and Mike is the IS any better on the 2500 than the 1000 (in 4k)? Chris, I know you use a slick set of brackets but that starts to get unwieldy in the jungle. I found the 1000 to be great in Africa (mostly in the car), reasonably good in the Amazon but not for birds moving through the forest (where a tripod or monopod also does not work that well). My Canon XA20 does a nice job of IS and autofocus lock on birds flitting through trees, but is not 4k. The 1000 not so great, is the 2500 any better? I have even looked at some of the reviews of the new X1E but the IS in 4k has been panned in reviews. This time I am talking pretty serious rainforest, so am also concerned about how poorly sealed the 1000 is, is the 2500 any better?

Thanks

Chris Harding
February 6th, 2017, 09:06 PM
Hi JT

My FZ1000's have had humidity and rain during weddings and are still going ! The 2500 hasn't encountered any rain yet but plenty humidity. AFAIK only the FZ300 is weather sealed but it does have the smaller sensor. On the 2500 the IS on 4K is a lot better than the FZ1000 but the zoom on the 2500 is silky smooth, variable and really good ...the FZ1000 zoom can only be used to reframe in practice.

My rigs are only a bracket with two foam handles and they help a LOT with run 'n gun!! but yes they do inhibit you being able to drop the camera into a bag when not in use!

Have you looked at the FZ300? It should withstand dripping wet rain forest with no problem

J.T. Price
February 7th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks Chris. In your reply you say but it has...did you mean and? My impression from your message is that the 2500 has better IS at 4k?

Being able to drop the camera in a camera bag is important when it might all of the sudden start tipping down with rain. The loupe on the back helps some with stabilizing the camera (a third point of support) and already makes it a little tricky with dropping it in the bag.

I did look at the 300, and the 2.8 lens and weather sealing is nice but the smaller chip, fewer pixels and lack of built-in ND less so (although the new focus after the fact feature is intriguing!). There are a lot of dedicated video cameras, including one by Panasonic, with the smaller chip but I have been trying to stay at 1" and can't really afford the new X1 (it looks nice though!). If I could sell some of my older HD video cameras then maybe but HD is not worth much now (even my XHA1) and there is certainly no market for an older G1 or G2 (SD).

It is always tough. I know there is always the possibility of selling some footage and you always figure you may not get back to come places so the temptation to get the best camera possible within some budget (e.g., not a RED camera with Canon lens) if possible...

Chris Harding
February 8th, 2017, 06:37 AM
Hi JT

I'm confused ! Yes the 4K OIS in the 2500 is definately better than the FZ1000 from what I see. Not sure however where you saw "but is has" except when I mentioned the smaller sensor.

How about making the FZ2500 a neoprene jacket ..that will keep a lot of moisture from the general camera body just like the TV studios use??

Larry Johnson
February 10th, 2017, 07:03 PM
Don't mean to change the subject, but didn't think a new thread was needed. Just something to be aware of. And a funny story.

While shooting today I couldn't figure out why the auto focus square kept moving to the upper right every time I looked through it. It was getting rather annoying, and then it dawned on me that my nose was touching the LCD scren when I looked through the viewfinder causing the focus square to move. I'm left eye dominant. Now my nose isn't long by any stretch of the imagination and my eye glasses prevent me from getting too close to the viewfinder. Knowing what was causing the problem, I shot a few more clips trying to prevent it from happening, but had no luck. Had to swing the LCD screen out of the way to solve the problem. Wonder if there's a viewfinder extension that could be attached. Maybe one that articulates.

Chris Harding
February 10th, 2017, 07:50 PM
Hi Larry

I have a rubber eye cup pushed over the existing EVF and it seems to work fine and I haven't had any touch screen issues. I had an old lens puffer (the one shaped like a rocket) and the curve was just right to cut two eye cups out of so it does keep your face a little further away from the LCD The other issue I sometimes have is when the camera is on a tripod and I have to try to get to the EVF ..on conventional video cameras the whole EVF was able to swing upwards making viewing easier but you cannot do this on a DSLR style camera. I wonder if you could just stretch a rubber tube an inch long over the EVF so it keeps your eye away from the camera ...Let us know what solutions you come up with?