View Full Version : Bottom Loading Solution!

Pages : [1] 2

Todd Mitchell
October 24th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Very clever little invention, this.

www.tripodadaptor.com

Avner Levona
October 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM
to solve bottom loading problem all you need is this ( 6.95 at B&H)
a Bogen / Manfrotto 2908 Standard Stud with 1/4"-20 Screw - for Super Clamp

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5159&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Min Lee
October 24th, 2005, 06:12 PM
what's the accessory item for Bogen / Manfrotto 2908 Standard Stud? It said its required and it's $25.

Avner Levona
October 24th, 2005, 08:41 PM
did you clicked on the link? it's a brass pin

Min Lee
October 24th, 2005, 10:02 PM
yes, i clicked the link. I'm refering to the clamp product below it listed under the accessories.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=DdqJxvCzJT!-1180261542?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=5166&is=REG

I just want to know how that pin is intended to be used in conjuncture with that clamp accessory. I can't see the other side of the pin, so does it have a hole for mounting on the tripod plate or is it only intended to be used with that clamp accessory?

Avner Levona
October 25th, 2005, 07:18 AM
You just need the brass pin , one side ( male) fits the camera and the other side ( female ) fits the quick release plate, I hope that answer your question

Stephen Finton
October 25th, 2005, 12:30 PM
You just need the brass pin , one side ( male) fits the camera and the other side ( female ) fits the quick release plate, I hope that answer your question

It looks unstable. You could rip the bottom off of your camera.

Alexander Karol
October 25th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I agree. It does seem quite unstable. I believe the first solution would be best.

Christopher Cruz
October 28th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I just ordered the first solution posted. I'll post my opinions when it comes in.

Avner Levona
November 4th, 2005, 12:02 PM
It works very well for me, it's easy to take off(using screw drivers etc.), no need to be stuck with it if you don't need it , and can be easily attached to my custom made Manfrotto Rig I've made with a snap. but this is only my way, not the only way.

Min Lee
November 12th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Just a heads up for anyone looking into the pin. I just bought it since I was buying other stuff from b&h. There's no hole on the other end. It's just flat. So now I have a useless pin.

Any feedback on the first adapter?

Patricia Lamm
November 15th, 2005, 09:57 PM
I can definitely recommend the adaptor from

www.tripodadaptor.com

I use it with my HC1 and it works great. Very stable. I use it with my Libec LITHM20 tripod. Because of the large shape of my tripod quick-release mount, I need to release the mount before changing tapes (but I don't have to unscrew the quick-release plate from the camera). It also allows me to easily change batteries on the camera (something that's difficult with a tripod because of the battery release latch underneath the battery) without unscrewing the quick-release plate.

Rick Foye
November 15th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Just a heads up for anyone looking into the pin. I just bought it since I was buying other stuff from b&h. There's no hole on the other end. It's just flat. So now I have a useless pin.

Any feedback on the first adapter?

It's no loss not being able to use the pin. It's pretty much the same thing as the connector that comes with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=375297&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

You can't see it in the picture, but the clamp mount is two pieces connected by a small brass connector with threads on each side. It broke in half after 2 days. Even if the brass pin had been threaded on both sides I wouldn't suggest using it to support anything.

Off topic, but I DO recommend purchasing the above clamp mount, throwing away the brass thingy and purchasing this to go in it's place:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5306&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I had to buy some threaded rod to connect the plate to bottom half of the mount. Combined, these parts make up my favorite piece of mounting equpiment. I use it everywhere I go. On fences, railings, rollbars in cars, desks, tables, road signs, etc.

Michael Liebergot
November 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM
"I use it with my HC1 and it works great. Very stable. I use it with my Libec LITHM20 tripod. Because of the large shape of my tripod quick-release mount, I need to release the mount before changing tapes (but I don't have to unscrew the quick-release plate from the camera)."

Patricia, why do you have to release the mount when changing tapes?

Isn't the tripod adapter attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate?

So in theory shouldn't you have enough clearance to just open the the tape door and replace the tape. Or is your tripod head too wide, so you don't have enough clearance.
If this is the case then it could be a problem with most tripod heads like my Bogen 501, or mounted on a rig like my DvRig Pro.

Patricia Lamm
November 16th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Patricia, why do you have to release the mount when changing tapes?

Isn't the tripod adapter attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate?

So in theory shouldn't you have enough clearance to just open the the tape door and replace the tape. Or is your tripod head too wide, so you don't have enough clearance.
If this is the case then it could be a problem with most tripod heads like my Bogen 501, or mounted on a rig like my DvRig Pro.

Yes, the adaptor is attached to the camera and then attached to the quick release plate. But, as you indicated, the problem is my particular tripod head is too wide. There's enough clearance for the Sony tape drawer to eject completely, but not for me to remove the tape without damaging it or the tape drawer. (By the way, I have a cheap Best Buy tripod that doesn't have the clearance problem, so your tripod head may be fine.)

I'm able to change batteries without releasing the mount, just not change tapes. That being said, it's a very quick process to release the mount, change tapes, then pop the mount back onto the tripod head. Much better than the current option of unscrewing the quick release mount prior to changing tapes.

If you're interested, I can measure my tripod head to give you an idea of whether it would work with yours.

Michael Liebergot
November 16th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Patricia, thanks for the reply, as I thought the tripod head being too wide was the issue, as the pictures on the site show the bottom loading camera on a tipod that doesn't have much girth to it.
My Bogen 501 is about the same width as your Libec tipod head so I may have teh same problem. However I also have an additional quick release plate mounted to the quick release of my 501 Tripod head (as I neede this to use in conjunction with my DvRig Pro which uses a slightly larger QR plate than what comes with my 501). So I might not have the same issue, since I will have a bit more added height to my base.

All in all it seems like a good solution, and one I will probably purchase when I get my A1, in the next few months.
BTW, how do you like working with the A1?
Maybe you could start a new thread with any observations and opinions. There are some already on this board, but the more the merrier.

Patricia Lamm
November 16th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Michael, I have an HC1, not the A1. I am extremely impressed with the camera. I don't think I would make use of the extra features on the A1;
I would very much like the features of an FX1 but right now need something that's more the size of the HC1 or the A1.

Michael Liebergot
November 16th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Patrica, thanks again. I like maual controls on the FX1, but really want the audio features that the Z1 have. I am not the biggest fan of XLR boxes, as i preffer built in blanced XLR capability. So the A1 seems like a better fit for me at this time.
I do event videography and can get my feet wet shooting HDV with my SD video Sony VX2100 for the time being and then add something like an FX1 later.

I also wanted a smaller camera that i could take with me on vacatons. So again teh A1 seems like a great staring point.

Don Donatello
November 16th, 2005, 12:23 PM
"not the biggest fan of XLR boxes, as i preffer built in blanced XLR capability"

in real use with hand size camera what does balanced XLR offer over using a XLR box ( with mini to camera) ?

Michael Liebergot
November 16th, 2005, 01:28 PM
"in real use with hand size camera what does balanced XLR offer over using a XLR box (with mini to camera)?"

I would rather have the built in feature of Balanced XLR compared to an XLR box to a mini 1/8 connection, as I should have said that I am not a fan of using 1/8 connections for relying on audio. I have found that the pre amp setup is a bit more refined and cleaner when not dealing with a 1/8 input.

Roger Mason
November 16th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Do you guys who have received the tripod adaptor have any pics of it mounted on a tripod? The pics on the website leave a lot to be desired, and I would like to get a closer look. Mine is being shipped right now and I'll post some when I get them. I have a Bogen 701 RC2 head, we'll see how that works. Thanks.

Roger Mason
November 19th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Here's some photos of the adaptor on my Manfrotto 701RC2 head. I can't change a tape on the tripod itself, but it's very easy to pop out the quick release plate to change the tape, and then pop it back on the tripod head. Changing the battery is very easy and can be done on the tripod. I am very happy with the adaptor, anytime I am using a tripod I will have it on.

http://homepage.mac.com/rotomas/adaptor1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/rotomas/adaptor2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/rotomas/adaptor3.jpg

Michael Liebergot
November 19th, 2005, 06:05 PM
I noticed that the quick release tightening knob seems to get in the way when you would want to change the tape. What if you arranged the tipod release to be on the other side,

Danny Fye
November 19th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Here's some photos of the adaptor on my Manfrotto 701RC2 head. I can't change a tape on the tripod itself, but it's very easy to pop out the quick release plate to change the tape, and then pop it back on the tripod head. Changing the battery is very easy and can be done on the tripod. I am very happy with the adaptor, anytime I am using a tripod I will have it on.

http://homepage.mac.com/rotomas/adaptor1.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/rotomas/adaptor2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/rotomas/adaptor3.jpg

Would it be possible to get two of those things and stack them vertically, one above the other to raise the camera a bit more to allow more room to work with?

Would it cause any problems?

Would be a bit more involved removing it from the camera but I'm not sure there is a reason or need to remove it from the camera.

One would have to attach the first one to the camera and then the second one to the first one and then the tripod thingy. (I have a wonderful time remembering names of things *NOT*)

Hmmm, maybe the company that sells them could create a model that is 2" instead of 1" high. That might solve problems for certain cam to tripod combinations.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com

Michael Liebergot
November 20th, 2005, 07:14 AM
"Hmmm, maybe the company that sells them could create a model that is 2" instead of 1" high. That might solve problems for certain cam to tripod combinations."

Danny I just emailed the idea to the developer. I will keep thse posted of what the outcome might be.

Michael Liebergot
November 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM
"Would it be possible to get two of those things and stack them vertically, one above the other to raise the camera a bit more to allow more room to work with?"

I received an email from the manufacturer who informed me that you can attatch one of the tripod adapters to the other to double the size. So since they are "1" in hight you would then get "2" of clearance, to remove the tape from the camera without removing the camera from the tripod.

The only thing I don't like about this is that the adapters are slightly staggered when attached to each other, as the holes don't line up properly.
He informed me however that when the adapters are connected they are still very secure.

Danny Fye
November 21st, 2005, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the info, help and reply.

The good is that it can be done. The bad is that it costs twice as much.

The best solution would be a 2" unit that has a reasonable price increase.

Maybe they could sell 2 of the current ones for a discount?

I am surprised that the holes don't line-up.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com

Michael Liebergot
November 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
Danny, here are the 2 pics that the developer of the adapter sent me.

As I said the adapters seem to be offset when stacked. The cost of purchasing 2 aren't a big deal to me as they aren't expensive anyway. What would worry me is, I would be using this with both a tripod/monopod or with my DvRig Pro (which I use often), and wouldn't like to take a risk of having the offset adapters coming loose.
I might try to make a taller one myself by purchasing one to use as a guide, and go to Home Depot and create a taller one myself. of course, I won't be purchasing my A1 for another month or 2, as I am just deciding if it's best to go with FX1 or A1. The only thing stopping me from going with the A1 is the bottom loading solution, as I prefer the balanced audio on the A1 compared to the FX1 with Beachtek adapter.

http://lvproductions.net/picts/Doubled_TA_front.jpg
http://lvproductions.net/picts/Doubled_TA_side.jpg

Danny Fye
November 23rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
What would worry me is, I would be using this with both a tripod/monopod or with my DvRig Pro (which I use often), and wouldn't like to take a risk of having the offset adapters coming loose.
I might try to make a taller one myself by purchasing one to use as a guide, and go to Home Depot and create a taller one myself.
http://lvproductions.net/picts/Doubled_TA_front.jpg
http://lvproductions.net/picts/Doubled_TA_side.jpg

Thanks much Michael.

Yea those are a bit offset. I don't know if they would become loose or not but it wouldn't look very good or professional.

How would you go about making your own? Maybe if you did, you could post instructions as to how to do so and what materials would be needed and all.

Thanks again,
Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com

Michael Liebergot
November 23rd, 2005, 11:56 AM
"How would you go about making your own?"

I would try to find a piece of metal that is around the same configuration and use the holes in the purchased adapter as a guide for threading size and position. Maybe find a smith locally who could mill one for me.

The funny thing is that, looking at the pictures that looking at Roger's pictures, you would only need about 1/2 inch more in height to allow clearance on a regular tripod.

If the developer would make the adapter taller by 1/2 to 1 inch, and seel it, he could make a ton of money, as it seems noone makes a tripod adapter right now for bottom loading cameras, that enable you to change teh battery and tape without removing the camera from a tripod..

I really hate Sony for wasting a good camera (supposed Professional A1), by crippling it to make it bottom loading. The least they could have done is make an adapter to sell along with it.
All of the talk Sony did, by saying that it wasn't meant to be used on a tripod is a crock. Why put threads on the bottom then, if it wasn't made for tripod use?

I really like the small size and XLR capability of the A1, but the more I have to rattle my brain to find a practicle solution to bottom loading tape, the more, I am inclined to go with the FX1.
I could purchase a Firestore and record directly to disk, but by the time, I did that, I would be in Z1 territory.

I only wish I could afford the Z1.

Jeff DeMaagd
November 27th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I would rather have the built in feature of Balanced XLR compared to an XLR box to a mini 1/8 connection, as I should have said that I am not a fan of using 1/8 connections for relying on audio.

Is there any camcorder the size of the HC1/A1 that offers XLR in? I would think that it would add undesirable bulk to a device that's meant to be compact. I know XLR is desirable, but the connectors are very large.

Jeff DeMaagd
November 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM
it seems noone makes a tripod adapter right now for bottom loading cameras, that enable you to change the battery and tape without removing the camera from a tripod..

I think this thread has shown that there are tripod adapters.

I made my own adapter that takes a slightly different route. I am considering marketing it after I get feedback from users.

http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtape.jpg
http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtable.jpg

Dave Perry
November 27th, 2005, 10:35 PM
I made my own adapter that takes a slightly different route. I am considering marketing it after I get feedback from users.

http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtape.jpg
http://demaagd.com/gr_hdr/hdvtable.jpg

Jeff,

That looks nice...and very similar to an idea I have as well. I'd be interested in purchasing one from you if you market them.

What materials are you using and how much will you be charging?

Michael Liebergot
November 28th, 2005, 07:37 AM
"I think this thread has shown that there are tripod adapters."

Jeff it looks good, but the only problem would be that it wouldn't be tall enough to use on common tripod heads like the Bogen 701RC or Bogen 501/503 where the tripod head is considerably larger.

Shown here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=220389&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
or here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=342508&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

That is the problem with the other tripod adapter, as it is only "1" inch in height and you need at least an additional 1/2 to 1 inch of height to enable you to remove the tape while still on the tripod.
It would work great with a monpod with just a pan tilt head or quick release only, but not with most standard tripod heads.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
That looks nice...and very similar to an idea I have as well. I'd be interested in purchasing one from you if you market them.

What materials are you using and how much will you be charging?

Thank you. The block is anodized aluminum with stainless steel hardware. I'll probably be charging $20 each. I have arrangements for some ads, including some with this site. I am setting up a web order site to sell them, currently I have a few listed on eBay.

Jeff it looks good, but the only problem would be that it wouldn't be tall enough to use on common tripod heads like the Bogen 701RC or Bogen 501/503 where the tripod head is considerably larger.

Height or thickness really isn't an issue. With my design, I literally sidestep the issue it by offsetting the camera to the right so that the tapes can clear the head.

Danny Fye
December 3rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
Height or thickness really isn't an issue. With my design, I literally sidestep the issue it by offsetting the camera to the right so that the tapes can clear the head.

One of my concerns with offsetting the camera to the right is how it could affect panning. The camera is no longer being rotated the way it would be if it were centered on the tripod.

This could cause panning errors that may or may not be a negative when one is panning a scene. Might be helpful to see short before and after video clips of 180 degrees of panning.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com

Jeff DeMaagd
December 3rd, 2005, 08:39 PM
One of my concerns with offsetting the camera to the right is how it could affect panning. The camera is no longer being rotated the way it would be if it were centered on the tripod.

This could cause panning errors that may or may not be a negative when one is panning a scene. Might be helpful to see short before and after video clips of 180 degrees of panning.

I'll have to think about how to test that. I have a couple obstacles to surmount before I can record footage of a pan. If it will cause problems, I think it would be most obvious for the very closest objects, maybe a foot away. On my tripod, the offset needed for the tape to clear the head isn't much, only about 1/2" or 13mm, for larger heads it is 3/4" or 19mm. Because the offset was small relative to the target, I had assumed it wouldn't be an issue.

The tripod I was using is malfunctioning and I'm getting a new one so it will tilt and pan properly. The camera's focus and zoom mechanism was damaged in some sort of accident, so my camera will be serviced soon.

Danny Fye
December 3rd, 2005, 09:39 PM
I'll have to think about how to test that. I have a couple obstacles to surmount before I can record footage of a pan. If it will cause problems, I think it would be most obvious for the very closest objects, maybe a foot away. On my tripod, the offset needed for the tape to clear the head isn't much, only about 1/2" or 13mm, for larger heads it is 3/4" or 19mm. Because the offset was small relative to the target, I had assumed it wouldn't be an issue.

The tripod I was using is malfunctioning and I'm getting a new one so it will tilt and pan properly. The camera's focus and zoom mechanism was damaged in some sort of accident, so my camera will be serviced soon.

When I visualize what is happening in my mind I see it as the camera is moving a little backwards when panning to the right and a little forward when panning to the left instead of just simply rotating.

How much depends on the amount of off-set there is.

This would be a problem for me because I am doing mostly video of Church services in the balcony and if the camera does move backward that would bring the rail into view as I pan to the right. Would be less of a problem panning left.

Also it would make it look like the camera is moving foward when panning left and backwards when panning right. That's because it actually is, instead of just simply rotating. How much it would look that way also depends on the amount of off-set there is.

Also since the camera is moving and not just turning, it seems like it may take a little more movement of the tripod head to get the same amount of panning that would normally be achieved.

Another thing is that my camera is tilted downward at about a 45 degree angle while panning the congregation and the offset could cause the way the people look to be off.

I think it would have a more negative affect on distance and/or how things look at a distance when zoomed in than what is close.

It's a question of angles, position and distance.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com

Dave Perry
December 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
This would be a problem for me because I am doing mostly video of Church services in the balcony and if the camera does move backward that would bring the rail into view as I pan to the right. Would be less of a problem panning left.

Dan,

I can guarantee you that a half inch offset will be unoticed.

Michael Liebergot
December 4th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Thank you. The block is anodized aluminum with stainless steel hardware. I'll probably be charging $20 each. I have arrangements for some ads, including some with this site. I am setting up a web order site to sell them, currently I have a few listed on eBay.

Jeff. the problem isn't that the adapter would get in the way, but the tripod head would get in the way.
The problem with the other tripod adapter is that there isn't enough height for the tape to be able to drop out of the tape bay. The tripod head on the Bogen 501 is wide which prevents this. I don't know what kind of tripod head you are using in your picture, but it looks quite smaller than that of a Bogen 501 or 503.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 4th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Jeff. the problem isn't that the adapter would get in the way, but the tripod head would get in the way.
The problem with the other tripod adapter is that there isn't enough height for the tape to be able to drop out of the tape bay. The tripod head on the Bogen 501 is wide which prevents this.

I meant the tripod head, not the adapter. I understood what you meant, and this design is intended to slightly relocate camera such that the tape housing mechanism would eject beside the head.

I can't find hard numbers on the head dimensions of the models you quoted. If the tripod head of the Bogen is less than 4" wide, or rather, less than 2" from center of the head's screw to right edge of the head, my adapter will allow the complete removal and insertion of the tape without interference. The tape would be to the right of the right edge of the head, just enough that the head doesn't interfere. The side offset of the tape eject mechanism and the adapter both work to make this possible.

I suppose I will have to come up with a visual way to show how this works.

Rick Foye
December 4th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I ordered one yesterday from Ebay. The bottom loading problem was especially bothersome to me because I was having to rebalance my Glidecam every time I changed tapes. I have a quick release adapter on there, but I was having to remove the adapter plate from the bottom of the camera to remove the tape. Even with the adapter I know I'll still have to uncouple the quick release adapter to get the Glidecam plate out of the way. I'll let everybody know how it works out when it gets here.

Michael Liebergot
December 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM
I meant the tripod head, not the adapter. I understood what you meant, and this design is intended to slightly relocate camera such that the tape housing mechanism would eject beside the head.

I can't find hard numbers on the head dimensions of the models you quoted. If the tripod head of the Bogen is less than 4" wide, or rather, less than 2" from center of the head's screw to right edge of the head, my adapter will allow the complete removal and insertion of the tape without interference. The tape would be to the right of the right edge of the head, just enough that the head doesn't interfere. The side offset of the tape eject mechanism and the adapter both work to make this possible.

I suppose I will have to come up with a visual way to show how this works.

Jeff, quick question. Are there threaded holes on the bottom of your adapter, for mounting a quick release plate (Bogen 3272) for my Bogen tripod?
I work with both a tripod and a DVRig Pro which has the Bogen 3273 Quick release assembly on it.
So I would have the adapter attached to my camera, Mightywondercam (Mini Rover handle bracket for light wireless or mic etc.) attached to the adapter, and quick release attached to the Mini Rover.

Camera>Your Adapter>Mini Rover>Bogen 3272 Quick Relase Plate>Tripod or DvRig Pro

Brian Rhodes
December 6th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I saw this one on ebay its a base plate adapter and looks pretty stable. $19.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-adapter-for-Sony-HDV-HDR-HC1-HVR-A1_W0QQitemZ7569916176QQcategoryZ30091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Michael Liebergot
December 6th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I saw this one on ebay its a base plate adapter and looks pretty stable. $19.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-adapter-for-Sony-HDV-HDR-HC1-HVR-A1_W0QQitemZ7569916176QQcategoryZ30091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Brian it's the same tripod adapter. Jeff developed the design and is selling it on ebay as well. I figured that I would ask him here, rather than ebay, this way we all can share in any information.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 7th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Jeff, quick question. Are there threaded holes on the bottom of your adapter, for mounting a quick release plate (Bogen 3272) for my Bogen tripod?

There are threaded holes, they are the exact same thread as what is already on the HC1 / A1. Any tripod or component that fits the camera should also fit this adapter. Is that the kind of thread that you need?

Michael Liebergot
December 7th, 2005, 09:32 AM
There are threaded holes, they are the exact same thread as what is already on the HC1 / A1. Any tripod or component that fits the camera should also fit this adapter. Is that the kind of thread that you need?

That is perfect. I was just wondering siince using a quick release assembly is imperative. Thanks Jeff, much appreciated. I will probably order one off of ebay from you. I don't have an A1 yet, but that will be my next major purchase. A1 first, then FX1 or Z1.

Rick Foye
December 10th, 2005, 02:29 PM
I had Jeff's tripod adapter shipped to my parent's house and I picked it up from there yesterday. I pulled it out of the packing material and my first words were WOW. From looking at the pictures on here I wasn't sure what I was going to get but I figured $20 was worth the risk. I thought it might be an aluminum plate with the sides bent down, or maybe some piece of metal originally used for some other application and then rigged to fit the camcorder.

In reality this thing is a solid piece of aluminum machined to the exact contours of the underside of the HC1. This is very high quality work. It doesn't look home made at all. It fits pretty solidly to the underside of the camcorder. I'd like a snugger fit, but I don't see how would be possible. I blame that on the camcorder design and not the adapter. The provided screw was too long to use. It bottomed out in the hole and the adapter was still loose. I had a shorter screw on hand so that wasn't a big problem. I'm sure that will be corrected in future shipments.

People with fat fingers might have a hard time using this. I can no longer release the battery by sliding my finger along the release. I now have to use my fingernail to push the tab in and then slide the battery out. The little doors for the IO connections fall flat and flush to the plate and require a fingernail as well to close. Those are just minor annoyances that I'm sure I'll forget about in a month's time.

I'm very impressed with this thing and I really think it'll make my life a lot easier. Rebalancing my glidecam will be a challenge now that my quick release adapter is off to the side, but when isn't balancing a glidecam a challenge? At least now I won't have to rebalance it between tapes.

I highly recommend picking one of these up.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 10th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Rick, thank you for your impressions, I like knowing that I'm on the right track, and what I might improve.

Yeah, it's a custom design just for the HC1/A1 series camcorders.

For what it's worth, due to other feedback, my second run of parts have a nice notch that improves access to the battery release. If you think it is bothersome, I am willing to exchange it for the cost of shipping. That second run is currently what is selling on eBay.

Though there is some improvement, I did not change much about the little side doors though, I just used my fingernails. It didn't occur to me to space that out or put an access pocket below them, I also wanted to protect the doors from breaking as well from being exposed.

Rick Foye
December 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I appreciate the return offer but I don't think the battery release will be much of an issue for me. I just looked at the I/O doors and you're right: the adapter now eliminates the possibility of them being accidentally forced open too far. Closing won't be much of an issue either. I have a video job at the end of the week and I'll probably have some field impressions to write about then.