View Full Version : Bottom Loading Solution!

Pages : 1 [2]

Rene Caminada
December 18th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Hi Jeff,
where can I get the tripod adapter?

Michael Liebergot
December 18th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Hi Jeff,
where can I get the tripod adapter?

Look on ebay:

look here. If the aution is over then click on the link for "View seller other items".

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tripod-adapter-for-Sony-HDV-HDR-HC1-HVR-A1_W0QQitemZ7573609917QQcategoryZ30091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rene Caminada
December 18th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Thank you Michael
I bought it
René

Glenn Thomas
December 20th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Jeff, I'm wondering if you've managed to test the panning yet or come up with a way around that instead of offsetting the camera? I'd be interested in buying one from you, but for now that's my only concern. And also whether it would work on my Velbon tripod. The plate is 2" wide, or 2.4" with the slotting part underneath.

Laurence Kingston
December 20th, 2005, 01:59 AM
Well I ordered one yesterday off eBay.

Dave Perry
December 20th, 2005, 06:29 AM
Jeff, I'm wondering if you've managed to test the panning yet or come up with a way around that instead of offsetting the camera? I'd be interested in buying one from you, but for now that's my only concern. And also whether it would work on my Velbon tripod. The plate is 2" wide, or 2.4" with the slotting part underneath.

There will be no noticeable difference in panning due to the offset.

Glenn Thomas
December 20th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Actually, yeah, thinking about it there probably wouldn't be any real difference. So I guess my only concern now would be whether my tripod plate is too wide or not.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Jeff, I'm wondering if you've managed to test the panning yet or come up with a way around that instead of offsetting the camera? I'd be interested in buying one from you, but for now that's my only concern.

While my gut impression is that it's not significant, I still want to try this out and post footage. My HC1 is still in for repairs due to accidental damage so I probably won't see it until early January. On a 45 degree sweep from the side to the front, the focal length would only change about 3/8". It might make a noticible difference if you have an object in view less than a foot away.

I could make an adapter that simply jacks the camera up about 2", but that would make a pretty significant tilt error instead.

And also whether it would work on my Velbon tripod. The plate is 2" wide, or 2.4" with the slotting part underneath.

The distance from the mounting screw to the right edge of the head needs to be less than 2.2" / 5.5cm, this includes the handle, bubble level, etc. if it is less than 2" from the top of the head.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 20th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I should note that I appreciate everyone's support, thank you.

Glenn Thomas
December 20th, 2005, 07:54 PM
The distance from the mounting screw to the right edge of the head needs to be less than 2.2" / 5.5cm, this includes the handle, bubble level, etc. if it is less than 2" from the top of the head.

Actually, I measured it and that distance is pretty much spot on 2.2" / 5.5cm. Although there is another issue I've learnt of. I'm looking at eventually buying a 35mm lens adapter for the HC1 to allow me to shoot with more of a shallow depth of field. The one I'll most probably go for requires the screw holes to be centred in order line up the camera with the lens support base. Here's the website for that: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.kinney/sg35.htm The guy can create one with a 37mm thread for HC1's.

Other than that, I think your unit appears to be a great solution and looks good too.

Jeff DeMaagd
December 20th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Actually, I measured it and that distance is pretty much spot on 2.2" / 5.5cm. Although there is another issue I've learnt of. I'm looking at eventually buying a 35mm lens adapter for the HC1 to allow me to shoot with more of a shallow depth of field. The one I'll most probably go for requires the screw holes to be centred in order line up the camera with the lens support base. Here's the website for that: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wayne.kinney/sg35.htm The guy can create one with a 37mm thread for HC1's.

Other than that, I think your unit appears to be a great solution and looks good too.

Thank you. The measurement I gave is approximate. It is possible there might be room up to 2.25", but I can't verify it until I get my camera back so I estimated conservatively.

I hadn't considered third party add-ons of that type. I might be able to make a nifty riser-only unit. A problem is that it looks like it would seriously need to be a block that is about 2.5" tall to do the job. This is because of the height of the tape cartridge and that the ejector mechanism moves down to release the tape. I don't know if that lense rig can cope with that much of a rise, that is something that you may need to ask.

Danny Fye
December 22nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
I bought one of their adapters and as others said it will allow me to remove the tape but not while the cam is still on the tripod. At least I wouldn't have to remove the plate or whatever you call it. Anyway I wrote them about a 2" unit and here is the reply (email) I got from them.

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Danny,

Thank you for the feedback.

The next time I have the Tripod Adaptors manufactured I will increase the height to 2". Unfortunately, it will be 6-8 months before they will be machined again.

In the mean time I have been offering a discount of $5 for the purchase of a second Tripod Adaptor. The Tripod Adaptors do attach to each other very securely and lifts the camera off the tripod 2". The website is not set up to handle the discount, so if you order a second Tripod Adaptor please note that on the website so I can send you a check for $5.

Thank you again for your order and more importantly in taking the time to let me know how it worked for you.

Have a nice holiday.

Kelly
KB Solutions

--------------------------------------

Looks like we have something better to look forward to. Most of my video work is without tape and is direct capture. Once in a while I get a situation when I do need tape and that is when I need this solution.

Danny Fye
www.dannyfye.com

Laurence Kingston
December 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I got it the day before Christmas. I love it!