View Full Version : PXW-X160 and PXW-X180

Robert Bale
March 13th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Hi, People I have one of these new cameras and I must say the Stock colour setting are so bad, the image looks washed out, Blacks are very light, and skin tones look muddy. Yet it looks good on the Camera LCD. I have gone back to my old EX camera till i can sort this. I am in PAL Land, not sure if it makes a difference. Has any one got any setting worked out yet, and i wonder if its Sonys new capture software screwing with the captured footage. I tested it in all 3 Codecs no real difference in colour.
Thanks.

Dave Sperling
March 13th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Which camera is it that you have?
I have a PXW-X180 and have adjusted it so I come extremely close to matching settings I have on my other Sony cameras (EX1, F3, A7s). None of these are stock settings -- all based on adjusting picture profiles to get en editable 'matching color' when shooting several.
I can share if you want.
The one 'problem' I've had with the X180 is that the LCD screen looks TOO good. - it looks so much better than the flip out LCD on the F3 that it's easy to think that the image is that much better. Don't try to match or make adjustments using the camera viewfinders - use a GOOD monitor (such as an OLED)

Robert Bale
March 13th, 2015, 09:35 PM
The one 'problem' I've had with the X180 is that the LCD screen looks TOO good. - it looks so much better than the flip out LCD on the F3 that it's easy to think that the image is that much better. Don't try to match or make adjustments using the camera viewfinders - use a GOOD monitor (such as an OLED)

I Have the 180, and yes this is what i was look for thanks, i would like to try them out. my email is robert@rpbproductions.com thank for the offer to share, I will let you know how i go.

Robert Bale
March 15th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Thanks , I will let you know how i go

Gerald Webb
March 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Would you be able to share those settings here?
Sure many would appreciate it.
:)

Paul Anderegg
March 28th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Robert, have you ever played with the WiFi on the X180? I just got mine, and have spent the last 5 hours trying to figure it out. I got to the point where I thought I was 50% working, but the WiFi keeps disconnecting from my Smartphone every 2-3 minutes! When it disconnects, the WiFi signal from the N50 WiFi module on the camera vanishes from my WiFi sweeper app, it essentially goes off the air.

And to make any setting adjustments for internet network connections, or to change live streaming settings, you must access the camera from AN INTERNET BROWSER. You cannot even as far as I know initiate an FTP, or see the status of an FTP from the camera without an external device. If I need to tap a screen on my smartphone to play around with FTP, then I can just take the SD card out and shove it into an OTG SD card reader and direct FTP from the device I would have to use anyway to see and operate the camera! Very infuriating.

I think I should have gotten the X160 that was $1500 cheaper, this WiFi is useless in features, even if I could get it working. My stations JVC HM650's simply autoconnect to my phones HotSpot already saved in the camera after running a network connect wizard, then you hit a live button and the camera tells you if it's connected properly. This camera will show a STREAM icon, which simply tells you that you have set the stream setting to on. It has absolutely no relevance to if you are streaming anything, or if you have left the destination server settings blank or default.

Paul

Terry Dennis
July 31st, 2015, 07:10 PM
now you have had these a while what's your thought's

Paul Anderegg
August 1st, 2015, 01:54 PM
My camera is still at Sony Service for repairs.........below are my custom calibrations, which I think work pretty well. :)

And if you think the LCD on the X160/180 looks too good, you should see the one on the X70!

BLACK On
Master Black: -1
R Black: +4
B Black: +3

MATRIX On
Adaptive Matrix On
Preset Matrix On 2:ITU709
User Matrix On
Level 0
Phase: -8
User Matrix G-B: -13
User Matrix B-G: -35

MULTI MATRIX On
B: +4/+13
MG-: +16/+20
R: 0/-14
YL: -21/+4
YL+: -10/+10
G-: -40/+55
CY: +20/+71

Douglas Call
March 20th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Robert, have you ever played with the WiFi on the X180? I just got mine, and have spent the last 5 hours trying to figure it out. I got to the point where I thought I was 50% working, but the WiFi keeps disconnecting from my Smartphone every 2-3 minutes! When it disconnects, the WiFi signal from the N50 WiFi module on the camera vanishes from my WiFi sweeper app, it essentially goes off the air.

Paul did you apply Firmware Update 3.0 to your X180 and try the networking feature out?
I getting to up date my X180 partially for the Variable ND Filter feature and partially for the LTE streaming feature.
Doug

David Helmly
April 6th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Which camera is it that you have?
I have a PXW-X180 and have adjusted it so I come extremely close to matching settings I have on my other Sony cameras (EX1, F3, A7s). None of these are stock settings -- all based on adjusting picture profiles to get en editable 'matching color' when shooting several.
I can share if you want.

Dave,

I realize this is an old thread but I have recently upgraded from my dinosaur (Z1U) to the X180, I've got a huge learning curve ahead of me and don't know where to start with the picture profile. If you would share your picture profile and any other tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
David Helmly
david@trailwatcher.net

Douglas Call
April 6th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I just noticed this when searching this forum for X180 settings:
Help with X180 detail settings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not happy with the detail values in my X180. On or off they seem pretty crappy, and my current values, semi derived from PMW200 recommendations, really suck Everything has a kind of blurry smeared look, lighted and close in, but way off in the background in wide shots, things like lights or reflections from chrome bumpers (night!) have that SD looking black halo around them.

My current settings are below, if anyone can recommend better settings, please do! Again, things like interviews and shots of cars in front of me are smeared and lack definition, but distant detail has that stupid edge halos/ringing and stuff. I shoot in 720p59.94, and export out in crappy 18Mbps HDV for broadcast......I don't chose the broadcast codec so don't make fun of me. :)

Master level 0
H/V ratio +20
Crispening -50
Level Depend On
Frequency +30
Knee aperture On

Paul

David Helmly
April 6th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Douglas Call, it's amazing how little info can be found on the X160 and X180 picture profiles but it sounds like Dave Sperling has some good info for our cameras.

Douglas Call
April 7th, 2016, 08:12 AM
The above X180 setting were provided by Paul Anderegg:
Here is a recap of his more complete list of settings:

And if you think the LCD on the X160/180 looks too good, you should see the one on the X70!

BLACK On

MATRIX On
Adaptive Matrix On
User Matrix On
Level 0

MULTI MATRIX On

Did Dave Sperling also post some X180 settings?

David Helmly
April 7th, 2016, 08:25 AM
The above X180 setting were provided by Paul Anderegg:
Here is a recap of his more complete list of settings:

BLACK On

MATRIX On
Adaptive Matrix On
User Matrix On
Level 0

MULTI MATRIX On

Did Dave Sperling also post some X180 settings?

He didn't post any but in the second post of this thread he offered to share them with the op.

Dave Sperling
April 7th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I haven't posted settings since the way things have worked out I'm always using the X180 in conjunction with other cameras -- so the current settings I've been using are designed to provide a good match to several other cameras (F3, EX1, PMW200, A7s, FS7) for each of which a 'best match' picture profile has been created as well. Thus the look that comes out of the various cameras is designed not for 'best look' but for 'closest match' -- to give the editors something very close from all the cameras, which makes it easier for them to apply an overall correction later in post. I've been surprised how well the X180 can match - even with the F3 and FS7. (I have the most trouble with getting the PMW200 close.) The great zoom range of the X180 has made it ideal for combining with other cameras, particularly useful for the shot from the back of the ballroom/theatre/club. In the last year I don't think I've used it more than 4 or 5 times on its own - hence the color match issue has been extremely important.
Thus, although I wouldn't day that my settings look bad, I would say that my adjustments also haven't been done to specifically optimize the look from the X180.

Douglas Call
April 7th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Dave thanks so much for that clarification of the objective you have when optimizing the settings on your X180. I currently shoot with the FS700R and the X180. However the FS700R has 4K capability now with my Odyssey Q7 external recorder.

Dave Sperling
April 7th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Yes, I went through a period when all my clients started asking for extra cameras. I used to have my cameras set up individually with what I thought were really pleasing profiles, but when I started having to add more/different cameras (typically when a client would walk in 10 minutes before we had to roll and ask for a second or third angle) having the various models of cameras matching each other became more important than getting the nicest image out of each one. Depending on the lighting, I still may have a bit of trouble with a salmon or pink outfit, but over time I've worked to minimize those issues. I now routinely bring a couple of extra cameras to most shoots, knowing that I am likely to need one or both of them (and of course be able to get a small bump in the kit fee.) One other thing I've begun doing is carrying a BMD Ultra Studio Mini Recorder thunderbolt adapter to plug into a Macbook Pro with Scope Box installed. I carry the computer for transfers anyhow, and the tiny BMD adapter lets me use the computer as an additional client monitor without having to carry an extra one. ScopeBox software allows me to get a big picture on the computer screen, or have an image plus waveform and vectorscope windows.

David Helmly
April 8th, 2016, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the input Dave.

Douglas Call
April 8th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I also use the BMD (Blackmagic Design) UltraStudio SDI USB 3.0 (connected to Dell XPS laptop) to pipe the X180 into the PC via the SDI. The X180 then becomes the primary camera for the live broadcast. Livestream Studio 3.0 is the software acting as the broadcast switcher to the Internet TV Channel.

Martin Duffy
December 8th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Hi guys

OK something is going on here with the X160 not colour matching up with my Canon XF305.

My experience with matching a Sony EX1 and the 305 was fine, in fact you couldn't pick them apart and it was only when in super low light that the EX shone out.

I am filming at 3200K for theater shows yet the X160 is making purple light look blue and the general look is very cold and often washed out. I had the exact same issue at another venue on a different night.

Yes LED's are an issue but the XF305 is handeling it fine in comparison

Could it be a "kneeing" setting?

Maybe I need to go for say a 4000k white balance.

I will also do a factory reset.

Please help otherwise this camera is no good to me! Sounds drastic but the pics are looking awful

On the positive the pics are razor sharp. Just the colours that are weird.

Yves Bonnet
July 7th, 2018, 04:02 AM
Hi, I'm new on this forum, and french ! So please be tolerant with my english ..

I own 2cameras: Sony HVR-Z7 and PXW-X160
On the Z7, I can easily save and reload personalized profiles on the "service" card.

On the X160, hav'nt found any menu or sub menu to do the same on the SD "service" card.
Does anyone know how to proceed, oris it just impossible ?

Thanks in advance.
Looking forward your replies.
Regards
Yves

Gerald Webb
July 7th, 2018, 04:37 AM
Hi Yves,
So you go-
Menu
File
All File
Then you have options of- "Load SD card" or "Store SD Card"

Paul Anderegg
July 7th, 2018, 04:45 AM
It defaults to saving with the date and time you save, but you can rename the camera file anything you want. I believe it saves the entire camera profile, possibly not the network settings, but I cannot recall.

Paul

Yves Bonnet
July 7th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Hi Gerald and Paul
Thanks for your replies. I'll do that next week and be back to you with results.
Enjoy your week-end
See you
Yves