View Full Version : Georgia Ice - Video

Mark Williams
February 19th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Georgia is often thought of as too far south to have a proper winter. In many respects this is true as snow is infrequent. But north Georgia is mountainous and temperatures can drop quite low at night. Temperatures in the teens and single digits are not uncommon resulting in some interesting ice formations on area streams and rivers. Scenes in this video are from Amicalola Falls, the Upper Tallulah River, Denton Creek Falls, and Dicks Creek.

I shot this with a Panasonic GH4 camera at 1080p, 60fps and 200mbps, using a standard color profile. Lenses used were the Panasonic 14-45mm, 45-175mm and Olympus 60mm macro. Edited with Edius 5.51 and encoded for the web using Windows Media Video 9.

Music title “Piano Intimate by Ikoliks. User license purchased from Pond5 pond5.com/stock-music/21424580/piano-intimate-ambient-background-nostalgy-scores-drama-fore.html transaction number xxxx201.

Georgia Ice on Vimeo

Vishal Jadhav
February 20th, 2015, 03:53 AM
Nice Video Mark,

Great selection of shots to blend right with the music, i love the exposure in here.

loved watching it.
cheers
vishal

Mark Williams
February 20th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks, glad that you liked it.

Steve Siegel
February 21st, 2015, 08:52 AM
How nice it must be to be able to shoot the seasons without buying an airline ticket! I feel cold just watching this. As in your other videos, you have done an excellent job capturing the feeling of the place.

Mark Williams
February 21st, 2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Bob Safay
February 23rd, 2015, 06:26 AM
Mark, beautiful video. Looks pretty cold out there. You really excel at capturing the soul and essence of moving water. When I moved to Atlanta I never thought it got this cold down here. Take care, Bob

Mark Williams
February 23rd, 2015, 03:17 PM
Bob, thanks for the nice compliment.

Chris Medico
February 23rd, 2015, 03:50 PM
You may want to consider submitting a cut without the music for the Sunday Morning program.

TVTechnology: The Legacy of 'CBS Sunday Morning's' Moment in Nature (http://www.tvtechnology.com/article/the-legacy-of-cbs-sunday-mornings-moment-in-nature/273791)

Snip:

CONTENT IS KEY
There are currently approximately 20 videographers who submit material for review by Morrison and Supervising Editor David Bhagat, who personally edits the segment. The producers remain open to submissions by any videographer and in fact Bhagat attended the recent Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival in Jackson Hole, Wy. to network with potential contributors.

Mark Williams
February 24th, 2015, 08:48 AM
Chris, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately getting the permits after the fact to cover a potentially commercial project on public property is cost prohibitive for me. I am sure CBS would require some type of property release. The government has made things such a hassle under the pretense of protecting the resource and park visitors that even one guy with a camera is seen as a threat and I'd rather avoid any dealings with them. So my video making will remain pretty much a hobby.

Oren Arieli
February 24th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Beautifully shot, Mark. The piano music adds just the right evocative touch. Gave me a new appreciation for winter in the south.

Mark Williams
February 24th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks Oren, I am glad that you liked it. We will have 2-3 inches more snow here tomorrow.