View Full Version : Compound clip changes globally

Urban Skargren
July 20th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Hello I stumbled on a problem. I have a project with a compound clip. Then I duplicated the project to do another version of it, but I discovered that if I change anything in the compound clip within that project, it changes in the other project as well. How can I avoid this?
Thank you.

William Hohauser
July 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Open the compound clip, select all the clips and copy. Paste the clips into your new project and then make the changes. You can create a new compound clip first if that helps with organization.

Urban Skargren
July 22nd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Thank you.

Glen Elliott
August 27th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Here's a tutorial I put together on this...

Tutorial: Using Compound Clips in Apple Final Cut Pro X - Streaming Media Producer (http://www.streamingmedia.com/Producer/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Tutorial-Using-Compound-Clips-in-Apple-Final-Cut-Pro-X-90171.aspx)

Mathieu Ghekiere
August 31st, 2013, 02:17 AM
This is something that started at FCPX 10.0.6.

Every compound clip used to be independent. Now it's one global clip, that's automatically added to your Event (this also didn't used to be the case) where if you make a change to the original, it ripples trough. You can make a compound clip independent in the Event, it's somewhere in the Menu. MacBreak Studio also has some tutorials about it, I think.

Urban Skargren
October 1st, 2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks Glen! Great tutorial.

I also found some basic info on this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12630 There I learned that I can make a snapshot of the project, which makes new, independent compound clips for all of my project. Then I can rename the new compound clips if necessary. Do you see any cons to this solution?

Bill Davis
October 10th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Also do a search on "FCP X reference new parent clip" - it's a menu selection that breaks the relationship between the compound clip and it's parent clip in the Event when that's what you need to do.

Urban Skargren
October 10th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Yes, I am now familiar with these terms and this helped me a lot. Thanks!