View Full Version : Mixing XF300 footage with 600D - interlace problem

Martin Campbell
December 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM
not a fault of the XF300 - but am sure you guys can help me solve what's happening here.

I'm editing with FCP and I mix the footage between my 600D and XF300. I generally drop in the footage of the DSLR first (so the timeline adjusts to use that footage) and then drop in the XF300 footage shortly afterwards. When edited - I export as ProRes and as a quick-output, I drag that file into Toast Titanium and burn off a disc.

The DSLR footage always looks fine, but the XF300 footage when panned/movement shots - the footage comes out with thick interlaced lines. All the footage has 'Field dominance' as 'Upper (Odd)' - but the XF300 is filmed at 720p 50i. whereas the D600 is full res.

when burning a disc in toast - the settings are

Motion estimation (slider) : Best

Reencoding : Auto
Field dominance : Auto

Any idea where I'm going wrong? I always have to explain to clients that there is an issue and that it is a rough 'proof' if you like - but the encoding of Toast is actually quite good and it spoils it!

Thanks

Donald McPherson
December 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Unless you need the 50i I would set the XF300 to match the DSLR 1080P 25FPS

Martin Campbell
December 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I think I'll try and record the next one in 720p. Not too fussed about the full res and it's sapping up my hard drive space too much!