View Full Version : Help! V1 iris wheel quit working.

Ron Little
July 18th, 2012, 01:26 PM
On a shoot today my iris wheel quit working on the Sony V1. When you spin the wheel the on screen indicator just flickers erratically and you can not control the iris. You can turn on the auto function and it will change but I have lost all manual control. Has anyone experienced anything like this on the V1?

Andrew Smith
September 5th, 2012, 09:22 PM
The auto-exposure over-ride may assist you (such as bumping up the auto exposure another two stops on a sunny day) in the meantime.

Andrew

Allan Black
September 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Can you do a 'reset' on your camera? Check through your manual.

Cheers.

Don Bloom
September 6th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Resetting won't help. It sounds like the infamous Menu Wheel on the PD series. Some, not all, after a time the menu wheel would go bonkers and you would have no control over any of teh functions. This happened on 1 of my PDs but not the other. Go figure.
The only real solution is replacement. My "mechanic" said he could try to adjust/fix it but could not make any promises that it would work, and for a few dollars more (cost of the part) he could replace it and be done with it.
Like I said, IF it's the same type thing as the PD series about the best you can do is replace the part.

Ron Little
September 6th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks, for your replies. I did try to reset and it did not work. I have downloaded the return paper work for Sony repair center in Teaneck, NJ. I will be sending it in this week. Unless you have a better repair shop suggestion.

Sherman Bahr
May 18th, 2013, 02:05 AM
The reason that the Iris wheel is not working is because it may be either worn out or damaged. This wheel is part of a switch block that controls several camera functions including manual iris. It can not be fixed, it must be replaced. I actually just replaced one today on an FX7 which has the same assembly in it. I am a professional Sony tech and wouldn't recommend trying to replace it on your own. A lot of the camcorder has to come apart to replace this assembly.

Ron Little
May 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Sherman, thanks for the information. Where do you recommend I send this camera to be fixed? And do you have any idea of how much it will run?