View Full Version : Hello from the Great White North!

Vicky Orsini
August 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hi all. Total newbie here, to the boards and to videography in general. I'm from Ontario, Canada, originally from Montreal. To pay the bills, I work for an insurance company (ugh!). But I just love playing with video ... so much so, that I've kind of landed myself in the position of "official videographer" for my Taekwondo club. Now I need to learn how to be a somewhat competent videographer/editor so that I can throw together some promo videos for the club. If that ever leads to an actual paying job, that would be awesome. If not, then it'll just be another really expensive hobby. ;)

With helpful advice from some of the board's members, I've just picked up a Canon HF-G10. Some preliminary videos that I just shot on full-auto mode have me thoroughly impressed. I'm really looking forward to learning what it, and I, can do.

So, who else is from my neck of the woods?

Alan Emery
August 27th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Hi Vicky,

Welcome to a great forum about the many aspects of telling stories with video!

I am near Lindsay Ontario, so I am not too far away from you. Not too much white stuff around just now, but we usually get a fair amount over the winter.

My interest is in nature videos and finding ways to interpret the natural history of animals and plants so that we as humans can understand and appreciate them. I have been peripherally associated with TV on and off for some time, but only recently decided to try it as a one-man band. Much harder than I expected! But lots of advice and expertise here on the forum to draw on.

Good luck with your new adventure.

Alan

Allan Black
August 27th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Another Allan saying Hi Vicky and welcome .. and I'm on the other side of the world;

How will your promo videos be used, in what context? That should determine how you go about producing them.

Taekwondo eh? I think all the comments for your work around here will be positive :) :)

Cheers.

Chris Soucy
August 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Huh, Allan,

I'm even further on the other side of the world and started in London, Ontario.

Yep, another displaced Cannuck.

Lived in more places than I've had hot dinners and have decided that the bones stop here, period (for the moment, at least)

Good to have you on board Vicky, if you can't find it here, you ain't trying.

Ask the right question, in the right Forum and you will, without question, get an answer.

Stick it out, it can be rough to start with, but you'll get there with perseverance.

CS

Vicky Orsini
August 30th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the welcome, folks. :)

Alan, Lindsay isn't too far at all. We're practically neighbours! LOL!

Allan, to this point, my videos have been seen only in-house, on a TV they have mounted in the lobby. The kids get a kick (pardon the pun) out of seeing themselves up on the Big Screen after tournaments or other events. However, I've now been asked to put together a 5 minute promo video to be used on the club's website. Basically testimonials, interviewing club members about how Taekwondo has changed their lives, etc... Here's a sample of the "feel" he's looking for, although this vid is 30+ minutes long, so we'll be condensing that a wee bit. Renewal DVD - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN2DmIY9j1M&feature=player_embedded#)!

Chris, do you miss living in Canada at all? Must be exciting to travel all over the world, but I don't think I'd be able to settle anywhere other than here.

I now have 2 weeks to learn how to use FCE (that's all I have available to me right now). Should be fun! :D

Chris Soucy
August 30th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Hah, got hoiked out of Canada when I was 6, so didn't get a voice in the move.

Miss it, nope, didn't live there long enough to put down roots.

Been the same all my life - Australia, India, UK, Holland, UK (again), India (again), China, Australia (again), UK (again), and now NZ.

Getting a tad weary of the moves, and home is where the heart is, so I'm staying put this time (can't do too much travelling in a coffin, maybe I should design one with wings and engines!**).

Hope it all goes well.

CS

** PS: Think someone beat me to it, they're called the F - 111 (USA) or StarFighter (EU)

Pete Bauer
August 31st, 2011, 08:53 AM
Greetings to all current and former Canadians. I'm a native born U.S. citizen, but ALMOST Canadian as I grew up in Northern Minnesota along the border. Chris S. got the better deal in the end; I'm sure NZ is much nicer than Houston, TX on any given day.

BTW, the F-104 Starfighter was a Lockheed product (U.S.). Never got to fly that, but I did log some time in the American-made General Dynamics F-111F out of the UK back in the day, and still live to tell the tale. Before my day, the F-100 Super Sabre jet was famous for the "Sabre Dance"...truly a dance of death.

But we digress. Welcome, Vicky!

Alen Koebel
September 11th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Hi Vicky,

Yet another Alen (and yet another spelling) from Waterloo. Born here, still here.

Vicky Orsini
September 12th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hello Alen from the 'Loo! I spend a lot of time out your way...a lot of the Toronto-based Taekwondo clubs have decided to host their tournaments at Conestoga College. What kind of filming do you typically do?

Alen Koebel
September 12th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I'm relatively new to camcorders (but not new to digital video - that's a whole 'nother story) so I'm just really starting. So far I've shot a birthday celebration with a dozen speeches (I kid you not), two weddings (I attended both as a guest and have promised to deliver a DVD for one of them as a wedding gift), a couple hours of footage in Paris and London (vacation, 'natch) and I will be shooting a sweet sixteen party for a relative very soon (word has gotten around - oh, oh <g>). All because someone gave me a camcorder for Christmas. Dang them! (Actually, I'll be shooting the sweet sixteen with a DSLR.)