View Full Version : Speed (ASA) of the XL1

Eduardo Mayen
November 13th, 2002, 03:37 PM
How do I rate the XL1. I dont trust my monitors at my film school, I get different results with different monitors. I want to start using my light meter to light. How do I rate it, how can I test it.
Eduardo

Bryan Johannes Onel
November 13th, 2002, 04:59 PM
1. Set up your cam in manual mode.
2. point it at a grey card.
3. watch the exposure bar at the top in the viewfinder till its in the middle (adjust the iris)
4. Point a spot meter at the grey card, and keep changing the ASA speed till you have found exactly the same F-stop as your lens.

Eduardo Mayen
November 13th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Thank you

Bryan Johannes Onel
November 13th, 2002, 06:21 PM
No prob. m8 :-)

Jeff Donald
November 13th, 2002, 10:03 PM
There is a rather complete discussion of ASA ratings on The XL1 Watchdog in the articles section http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm If you scroll down to the Camera Head section the second and third articles cover the topic.

Jeff

Bill Ravens
November 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
You should get an ASA rating of 160. Beware, however, that the CCD light meter doesn't work the same as a still image film lightmeter. The sensitivity curves are different for film and video. In other words, if you use a calibrated light meter you'll get the correct exposure, however, if you want to intemtionally over or under expose, you won't get the right exposure from the meter.