View Full Version : DIY Motorized IGUS Slider

Rad Sinyak
January 15th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I added a servo to my belt-driven slider:

More info here: IGUS Belt Driven Motorized Servo Slider (http://kokomonstrum.com/motorslider)

Cody Dulock
January 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM
First of all, great job on the slider/belt/motor combo!

Have you been able to get the motor/carriage to go any slower for timelapses? Like 2 RPM maybe?

What happens if you were to forget the motor was going and the carriage hit the end of the track... does the motor keep trying to go or does it shut off? Can this ruin the motor?

How long does the USB battery last?

Would love to hear more!

Rad Sinyak
January 16th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks.

Have you been able to get the motor/carriage to go any slower for timelapses? Like 2 RPM maybe?

The macro shot of the coins is running at about 2RPM. I'm not a fan of shooting stills on a continuously moving platform, so I haven't tried timelapse yet. A better solution would be to shoot, move, wait for oscillations to stop and shoot again... but that requires a bit more effort :)

What happens if you were to forget the motor was going and the carriage hit the end of the track... does the motor keep trying to go or does it shut off? Can this ruin the motor?

When the carriage gets to one end it stops, but the motor continues to apply pressure. It will probably burn out after a while.

How long does the USB battery last?

I've playing with this for a few days now without having to recharge. Don't have any specifics, but the servo does not appear to need a lot of juice.

I think my next project will be a bit smarter with computer control and limit switches, but for a quick and dirty slider that can fit in a small tripod case, this works out well.

Stefan Kohler
April 19th, 2011, 06:33 AM
here is something very familiar:

DIY - camSlider - Making of - Part I - Mechanics on Vimeo

DIY - camSlider - Making of - Part II - Electronics on Vimeo

It's not finished yet, i hope to be finished next week...
This project is so much fun :-)

Jean-Philippe Archibald
April 19th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I do not have the skills or patience to do something similar, but would be more than willing to buy everything ready to install on my Glidetrack hybrid from one of you. Is there someone considering to commercialize this kind of add-on?

Sean Seah
April 19th, 2011, 09:25 AM
German engineering.. has to be one of the best! Thanks for sharing.

Marcus Martell
April 29th, 2011, 11:11 AM
RAD tutorial on your diy feet?
suggestions?Awesome work!

Stefan Kohler
February 10th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Some Tests:

DIY - camSlider - Making of - Part III - first tests on Vimeo

DIY - camSlider - Making of - Part IV - smooth movement test on Vimeo