View Full Version : Can I sync two cameras, one AVC intra, one DVCPO100?

Art White
July 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Can I sync two cameras, one AVC intra, one DVCPRO 100?

I use a HXP300 and HXP170 for two camera shoots. I sync them with a flash. Is it possible to shoot AVC Intra on the 300 and DVCPRO 100 on the 170, sync them for editing? I have only shot DVCPRO 100 on both. (only because that's what I am comfortable with) Didn't know if different codecs would matter.

Thanks
Art

Daniel Epstein
July 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Art,
The difference in Codecs would have to be resolved in your edit system but the sync between the two sources should still hold within reason as you are not really genlocking the sources together but just letting them run at their base speeds and using the flash as a reference point. Over an hour there might be a significant drift between the two cameras regardless of the Codec you record on.
If you send sync reliably from the HPX-170 to HPX-300 you could actually genlock the cameras eliminating the drift between the two cameras. I would only do this if the HPX-170 was being used on a tripod and in a stable situation as it could cause glitches on the HPX-300 if the source is intermittent. I don't think the 170 is genlockable so you can't go the other way or use an external sync generator.

Art White
July 12th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Daniel,
Sounds like I should teach myself how to genlock the cameras to be more efficient if I shoot for a long time span. If I did this, do both cameras have to be on the same codec or does it matter. In the event I would have to shoot for a long period of time, I only have two P2 32g cards with an unstable laptop at the time to download them on.

Thank for your time
Art

Daniel Epstein
July 22nd, 2010, 06:08 PM
Art,
Genlocking the cameras means they are making frames at the same time base which will help keep them locked over time. The Codec issue adds some complexity in the edit but shouldn't create any more drift issues if the cameras were locked. The problem will be if your edit system doesn't like mixing and matching the Codecs on the timeline and you may end up with more picture issues getting rid of the differences between the two Codecs.