View Full Version : Reusing XDCam discs

Jeremy Borton
March 19th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Hello,

I was just wondering how reusable are the XDCam discs? I know you can reformat them but how well do they work?
I remember back in the day using beta cam tape for layoff tapes all the time and just using them over and over again and not worrying about dropouts for a while.
I have a lot of clients who don't care about having their footage archived so I was thinking of keeping footage for a year and then reformating and recycling the discs for other shoots.

Thanks,

-Jeremy

Klaas van Urk
March 19th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've had a PDW-F330 for three years. I sold it with 1500 spindle hours on the counter. I had only 10 XDCAM disks that I used over and over. After each shoot I downloaded the content to two harddisks, verified the content and erased the XDCAM disk. Never had any problem with reusing.

Alister Chapman
March 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I have a couple of discs that I use for testing and just shooting junk. I've lost count of the number of times I've re-used them. You should be able to use them many thousands of times and there should not be any degradation, certainly not in the number of cycles most people will do.