View Full Version : Various questions Sony HVR-A1

Pages : [1] 2 3

Matt Howell
May 19th, 2005, 06:49 PM
In-camera down conversion:

Does anyone know if the Sony HDR-HC1 and HVR-A1 can down convert from HDV 1080i to SD DV 480i via firewire the way the FX1 and Z1 can? I would think that they WILL be able to do this, but I haven't seen it in any of the press so far. Am I wrong in thinking this is a feature that almost has to be in these new cameras?

Steven Gotz
May 19th, 2005, 07:46 PM
It must be there for another few years I think. HDV is too new. The people who want to shoot DV are still plentiful. But they might want to have options.

Jack Zhang
August 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Can anyone post a link to a .pdf of the A1's User's Manual when it becomes availible?

Chris Hurd
August 6th, 2005, 04:48 PM
You had better believe that when it becomes available, as soon as possible we'll have a link to it "stuck" at the top of the message list. Hopefully it's not too far away.

Dennis Kane
September 7th, 2005, 07:26 PM
I just got an email from B & H and the A1 is now in stock. My order will ship tomorrow.

Alexander Karol
September 7th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Dear Customer

Thank you for your inquiry for this item:
Sony - SOHVRA1U - HVR-A1U HDV Camcorder

We would like to inform you that this item is now available from bhphotovideo.com.

Check it out:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sku=384527&is=REG&bi=E15

---------------------

GO GO GO!!! Get it so you can give us your first impressions. :D

Laurence Kingston
October 17th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Just curious as to whether the HC1/A1 has undocumented ND filters like the PDX-10, or if the CMOS just has a wider dynamic range than regular CCDs. Either way, it looks fine in bright sunlight, but I'd like to know what is going on "under the hood".

Anhar Miah
October 17th, 2005, 05:23 PM
From what I have understood, it does not have a ND filter as the CMOS uses EIP to deliver the wider dynamic range.

Anhar

Leo Zheng
October 22nd, 2005, 05:30 PM
There are pretty close in price. What are the major differences in performance and features? Especially concerning low-light?

Thanks a lot!

Michael Liebergot
October 23rd, 2005, 07:21 AM
The FX1 will have better low light capability from all of my readings. I would preffer to use an on camera light when needed (and allowed), to get better image in low light. I even preffer this with my VX2100 which is great in low light.
Here are teh differences. There are more, but these are teh ones that you may want to know.
A1:
Smaller footprint
Bottom loading
XLR audio
LCD on side of camera
Combo Zoom/Focus ring
Black Stretch for low light (to maintain black values)
Touch screen settings, some external manual settings
External dial to assign various menu functions (like Zebra, White balance, Exposure etc.)

FX1:
Larger Footprint
Side loading
LCD screen on top of camera
No XLR Audio
Excellent Manual Settings
Better Low light
Seperate Zoom and Focus Ring

I am leaning towards the A1 because of it's smaller footprint and removable XLR feature. It is a go for me if I can find a solution to bottom loading problem.

John Dombrowski
December 3rd, 2005, 11:01 PM
I can't seem to find how to turn on the date and time stamp during playback.
Any suggestions where to look? I have looked thru all the menus but it is not there.

Thanks...........JD

John Dombrowski
December 3rd, 2005, 11:20 PM
Found it. I had to be playing back a recording for it to appear in the menu.

--JD

Vincent Sanchis
January 24th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Hi
I am currently working in documentary production with DVCPRO cameras. I need now a 'b' camera, because my current camera is very heavy and sometimes 'intimidating'.
The size of A1 seems perfect for my needs of 'low profile' shooting. However i am very concerned with the problem of low light situations.
¿Has anybody try to shoot in DV/DVCAM with the a-1?
¿Am I right if I think that shooting in DV/DVCAM will result in better 'low light' capabilities with the A-1?
Regards.

Boyd Ostroff
January 24th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I haven't used the A1, but am assuming it may be like the Z1 in DV mode... you can gain one full f-stop by shooting at 1/30 sec shutter speed. Like most cameras, it does field doubling at 1/30, however the doubling is done before downsampling to 720x480 so you don't lose vertical resolution in the process like you would on a standard definition camera.

Graham Hickling
January 24th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Given the non-standard hotshoe on the HC1 (what the #@&&@# were you thinking, Sony engineers?) I needed a way to mount my external mic.

The bracket I've started using is working out well for me, so here's some images of the setup and the relevant links:
http://home.att.net/~ghickling/flash_bracket.jpg

The mic is an Audio-Technica AT-822 (stereo with on-board battery):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=68194&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

The AT-822 comes with the camera-shoe adapter and the 1.7' XLRF-to-Stereo-3.5mm-Miniplug cable that you can see in the images.

The flash bracket was $13 at B&H. It has two cold-shoes so I suppose there's even the potential to hang another light or whatever off its side (if you were being really enthusiastic):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=131401&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

That particular bracket is presently out of stock, but this Bescor "VB-50 Universal Shoe Mount Adapter" appears to be essentially the same thing:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=133276&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Note that you'll need a reasonably long cable to reach HC1's mic jack on the right side of the camera. I wrapped the cable shown here once around the shoe adapter, and then used a strip of black electrical tape to fasten it to the underside of the crossbar (indicated by the yellow arrow). The cable has stayed put well so far, with the bracket both on and off the camera.

Just my $0.02 ....

Vincent Sanchis
January 25th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Hi
I'm currently in New York for a documentary work, but I live in Europe. I have found a very good offer for a HVR-A1U. This model is for use in USA. May I find any problem using it in Europe. My main concern is NTSC (in Europe we have PAL), the voltage for charging the batteries, converting NTSC footage to PAL, and maybe other things which I have not realized.
Has anybody tried to use a HVR-A1U in Europe? Which problems did you find?
I find this model very interesting, but in Europe costs 40 per cent more than in USA.
Thanks for your help.

Laurence Kingston
January 25th, 2006, 02:46 PM
The price for the PAL and NTSC models is the same at B&H, but there is a $500 rebate on the NTSC model only. $500 is a lot of money (to me anyway) but if I lived in a PAL area I'd spend the extra money and buy the PAL version anyway. An NTSC camera in a PAL country is a lot worse than a PAL camera in an NTSC country.

Frank Feijen
January 26th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Does anyone know wheter interval recording on tape is available on the A1? And if so, how it can be activated?

Vincent Sanchis
January 28th, 2006, 04:22 AM
IS ANYBODY USING A SHOULDER SUPPORT WITH HVR-A1?

Ok, I know it is a very light camera. However my documentary style of shooting have always been with shoulder support. Sometimes I have to spend hours shooting with the camera, and in the end it makes me feel tired. Besides I feel very comfortable with the shoulder support style of shooting.
I do not use tripods because it is very time consuming and intimidating, unless I am doing an interview.
Has anybody tried to shoot with a shoulder support? Which one fits better with the HVR-A1?
Thanks for your help.

Mark Steele
January 28th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Have you seen Laurence Kingston's setup?
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=59073

Alexander Karol
January 28th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I am not using shoulder support, and looking back at my CES 2006 footage, I realized I should have.

Like mentioned, Laurence has a really sweet setup. He uses the SpiderBrace with his HVR-A1U and has been very happy with it. The really cool thing is that it only costs $59; compared to $500+ that you'll pay for other rigs out there.

Check it out:
www.spiderbrace.com

Dan Chosich
February 16th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I'm planning on buying the A1 next week from B&H. I was just wondering if anyone had some footage of it? I have looked for a while to find some and I haven't found anything. Most footage is of the HC1. I know they are very similar, but I was hoping to see something actually from that camcorder.

Thanks for your time. If you guys have anything I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again.

Dave Ferdinand
February 16th, 2006, 03:55 PM
It's exactly the same, you just have a couple of extra manual controls and XLR audio inputs. Footage won't differ in the slightest.

Stu Holmes
February 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM
well...... almost.

Footage will be SO similar that it's true there's not an awful lot of point in seeing A1 footage as opposed to HC1 footage.
There's a few features on A1 that make the footage a little bit different, especially in shadow areas, such as Black Stretch which plays around with the gamma curve to give more shadow detail.

But honestly it's pretty subtle.

Also i think the EIP (Enhanced Image Processing) works slightly differently on the two cams but again you are unlilely to see anything significantly. One thing - i know someone who had an HC1 and an A1 at the same time (before returning the HC1) and he said that he thought the image stabilisation on the A1 was noticeably better than the HC1 that he had. Just his opinion.

Matthew Kent
March 8th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Ok... so last night I was capturing pretty late, and forgot to shut off my A1 after I shutdown everything.

I got up this morning, and went out to shoot some things, only to discover everything works except record and playback. When I try to record, it says "Dirty video head, please use a tape cleaner". I've done 2 cleanings, and so far it still isn't working.

Did I somehow burn out the head? I had a tape in it last night, and am afraid this is the case. It's new, so I'm hoping the warranty will cover any issues, but this isn't the first time I've left a camera on, but have never had any issue remotely close to this! The camera was pretty hot when I turned it off this morning.

Thanks

Misha Mansoor
March 13th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post here, i am really glad i joined since you guys all seem to know exactly what you are talking about haha.
I am a complete newbie to the world of hd def camcorders, but i have spent the last week or so researching and learning as much as i can about the cameras. I am looking to film short clips and bits here and there of anything and everything and also i would like to film my band with the same camera. But i want it to look as pro as possible for the least amount of money and i am completely willing to put in the time and effort to become proficient with whichever camera i go with.

I have narrowed it down to the hc1 and a1, the a1 being obviously more attractive because of the xlr inputs, and its ability to capture in cineframe 30 which i am told is a lot more useful than 24 cuz its a lot more smooth. But if i havent misunderstood, i believe you can do the same thing with the hc1 by setting the shutter speed to 30. I am looking for a camera i can grow with and not have to replace in the future, but i am not an elitist when it comes to these things even though i would like it to have that "cinema" feel and look. So which camera do you think would be better for me? The HC1 is now $1349 at bhphoto, and the a1 would be $2000 after rebate but after i inquired sony confirmed that only businesses are eligble.

Do you think the a1 is worth the extra money and if you do, then why?

Thanks so much for your help with this!!

Misha

Damien Benoit
March 27th, 2006, 08:37 AM
A1U vs HC1 by Sony!

Whats the actual difference between them? Is it just that the cinema mode on A1U being betting as well as capturing acurate colors and the top mounted mic attachment?

Is there anyway I can get that top mounted mic attachment with the XLR's for my HC1?

Dave F. Nelson
April 3rd, 2006, 03:55 PM
Looks like there's plenty of time to get the HVR-A1U... and now we know the truth. The HDR-HC1 was discontinued so it wouldn't cannabalize sales of the HVR-A1U and was replaced by the HDR-HC3, which definitely won't hurt HVR-A1U sales.

I copied this information from the Sony HVR-A1U Rebate Site:
https://www.rebate-zone.com/default.asp?PN=SY0012&DirectID=10680

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Promotion Details

Promotion Name Sony HVRA1U HDV Camcorder $500 Rebate
Promotion Description Receive $500.00 mail-in rebate for the purchase of a Sony HVR-A1U HDV product.
Promotion Number 060010A
Start Date 4/1/2006
End Date 9/30/2006
Hardcopy Postmark Date 10/31/2006
Customer Service (866) 881-1114 or Email Customer Service

Click next to confirm your selection.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to get the HDR-HC1 you'd better get-a-move-on. There's still one here in San Diego at the Best Buy in Oceanside.

--Dave

Peter Ferling
April 3rd, 2006, 09:14 PM
Well now, that's interesting. What does this say about the rumored HC5? I was wondering if the rebate was to deplete inventories in time for NAB and a new release candidate. I was willing to pass this up in favor of something new to consider at NAB. Now it looks like the A1U will remain on the table. Nice.

Alex Thames
April 10th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I know the Varizoom compact controllers with push auto focus functions don't work with the A1, and that a Manfrotto one does, but what about the Zoe 2005 controller?

Dorothy Engleman
April 11th, 2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks to Bret Corbin for the heads up. (http://www.onlineregister.com/sonypro/index.cgi?PAGE=models)

Dorothy

Vish Matepi
April 14th, 2006, 12:37 PM
although it says not for hawaii residents in the fine print?
fear not my fellow hawaii residents.. i recieved my check in the mail yesterday
here's how i did it.

1) buy the damn camera from B&H it's far more stress free than.. oh never mind
don't wanna hurt peoples feelings.

2)follow the rebate instructions, you know right? upc bar code, fill in your name etc etc.

3) ok after you've filled your name in, you need to have a very close friend or family that lives on the mainland because although its made out to your name
... you just never know these days.
ADDRESS MUST BE MAINLAND ADDRESS, CABEESH?

and in about 4weeks your have a little itty bitty check that looks more like a upc code from a box or something.
oh and i cashed it yesterday, and i was a little worried that sony would have insufficent funds.. but looks like they got paid this week.

Frank Howard
April 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Has anyone transfered A1 or HC1 output to film. If so how were the results?

Stephen Warner
April 17th, 2006, 05:52 PM
(We could call it LAHAUG.)

It would be a good way for HC1/A1U users in the Los Angeles area to network and get together. Any HC1/A1U users, let me know--here or by private message.

Dan Moran
April 19th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I'm interested. I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

Bruce S. Yarock
April 20th, 2006, 02:53 AM
I've been shooting with a Canon XL2, and have been trying to deceide on a second camera, at the same time getting my feet wet in hdv. I rented a Z1 for a weekend, and considered that or an FX1. I was able to tweak the XL2 and the Z1, and get a decent picture match.
I just found out about the A1, and it looks very interesting, and affordable. (After a shoot yesterday in a cramped Helicopter, I'd also appreciate a smaller cam).
Here are my questions:
1- How does the picture quality compare to the Z1/Fx1?
2-How flexible is the A1 for twaeking settings?
3-Is there an owners manual posted here (Couldn't find it).
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Frank Howard
April 23rd, 2006, 12:37 AM
I picked up the A1U yesterday. Ryan at EVS suggested I check out the rental to make sure it was the camera I wanted and plugged it into a monitor. One of the seats had a bright red decal so I focused on that. Sure enough it came out a little pink, but nothing that couldn't be color corrected for in post. I am *very* impressed with EVS and will be going back. Chris knows how to pick his sponsors. Not only did I get a very good price, but the people part of the equation simply can't be overestimated.

I thought there would be a sharp learning curve, but an hour reviewing the parts of the manual that applied to me made things much simpler. Since I wouldn't be using in camera effects much, if at all, it cut down the pages I needed to absorb to well less than ten.
Today, I went to an exhibition of Lewis Carroll's works and filmed some beautiful illustrations that I knew I would not likely see again, including a handwritten version with drawings by Mr. Carroll himself and one illustrated by Salvador Dali.
Then I went to a mall and got some shots of the clearance sale for the 'Ideology' line of products because I couldn't resist the irony of seeing Ideology at 50% off.
When I replayed the shots, all taken on full auto because of my insecurity with manual settings on shots I wouldn't be able to retake, I was extremely impressed with the results. All I can say is wow I'm impressed!
I'm not one of those people who think digital, even HD, will ever replace film any more than digital recording will ever replace the natural compression of bouncing off tape. But it gives us a way to make stunning footage that's impressive enough that you know if people notice the difference, it means that much more went wrong than simply the use of digital...

Craig Terott
April 25th, 2006, 01:58 PM
B&H listing a $500 rebate for the A1U. I wonder why?

Adam La Prade
April 25th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Why wonder?

There is currently a $500 rebate on the A1U.

Boyd Ostroff
April 25th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I would guess they're using it as an incentive to sell a few more cameras. The rebate isn't new however:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=57935
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=64279

Jesper Andersson
May 1st, 2006, 04:44 PM
Hi!

There is alot of clips out there that barely begins before it is over so there is
quite hard to get a satisfying impression of what the camera can perform.

So is there anyone that have / know a site that have a longer footage, something like 5-10 minutes with a bitrate of about 20-30mbit/s?

Would love to see one. Thanks

Dorothy Engleman
May 1st, 2006, 09:25 PM
Hello Jesper,

Perhaps the Sony HDV Shooters' Club will help:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/minisites/HDV/shooters/index.shtml

Dorothy

Paul Chun
May 8th, 2006, 03:14 PM
I've been playing around with the manual audio functions on the A1 and noticed that I'm not able to set channel 1 to auto and channel 2 to manual. Is this correct? My Z1 is able to do this, but not the A1. Or am I doing something wrong? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Brian Prelesnik
May 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I am curious if anyone out there is using the HVR-A1U with a Focus Enhancement FireStore FS-4 Portable DTE Recorder with their camcorder and if so, have you had any problems using the FS-4 and how do you like it? If you do have a FS-4, what kind of projects have you used it on and do you also record to tape simultaneously as well for back up purposes? Looking at going this route versus getting a VTR deck to cut down on wear and tear on the camcorder heads. Any information, pros or cons or opinions are welcomed.

Tim Cool
June 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I am going on vacation to Tahiti, and haven't had time to learn all the best settings for bright sandy beach scenes!
Any suggested settings I can print out and take with me?
Thanks in advance.

I have the Sony WA, circ.polarizer, haze filter, NTG-2.
Tim

Roger Garcia
June 29th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I bought a Sennheiser MKE 300 to use when I need to go lighter with the HVR A1 and don't need the XLR module. It works great UNTIL I mount it on the shoe on top of the camera. I found that there is a vibration/hum that the mic seems to pick up from the camera. When I remove the mic from the mount it records fine which suggests this is a physical vibration problem (rather than electrical). Has anyone else experienced this and any ideas on how to fix it??

I don't have this problem with the XLR module. Unfortunately I don't have another non-

Roger Garcia
June 29th, 2006, 12:32 PM
[SORRY I HIT THE POST BUTTON BY ACCIDENT BEFORE FINISHING. HERE IS THE COMPLETE POST!]

I bought a Sennheiser MKE 300 to use when I need to go lighter with the HVR A1 and don't need the XLR module. It works great UNTIL I mount it on the shoe on top of the camera. I found that there is a vibration/hum that the mic seems to pick up from the camera. When I remove the mic from the mount it records fine which suggests this is a physical vibration problem (rather than electrical). Has anyone else experienced this and any ideas on how to fix it??

I don't have this problem with the XLR module. Unfortunately I don't have another non-XLR mountable mic so I can't double check this problem. However I tried the MKE 300 on my Sony PDX 10 and it works fine - i.e. no vibration/camera noise.

Thanks for any ideas!

Bill Slammon
July 12th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Has anyone tried balancing the A1 on the Glidecam 2000? If so, any tips? Thanks,

Bill

Jason Gurwin
July 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know how to do Interval Recording (Time Lapse) to tape using the A1?

Shedrick Mask
September 11th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Here are some clips I shot with my A1. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the "lines" out of the video. In this I deinterlaced the video and it's still there. Anywho, I tried shoting this with no gain, there is even a walkway that I shot with a shutter speed of 4. If you have any tips please share.

Thanks

Shedrick

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.p...627968fd304c2b1