View Full Version : Greetings from South Africa!

Pages : [1] 2

Andrew Leigh
March 17th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Would love to speak to editors in S.A.

Andrew

Chris Hurd
March 19th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Give a shout to Paul Gondwana, he's in and out of here quite a bit. He's from Cape Town. You can view his profile with his website and e-mail address by clicking on "Members" at the top, and then searching the Members section by his user name "Gondwana." I'm sure he'd like to hear from you!

Guy Pringle
April 8th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Howzit Andrew,

I'm from Jo'burg, but currently living in Houston, Texas. How are things back home. My wife and I should be back there some time this year.

Andrew Leigh
April 8th, 2002, 02:48 AM
Lekker (for those non South Africans a colloqualism for very well)

Would be nice to make contact when you get back. As to how things are back home perhaps should e-mail you rather than bore the forum. Please advise if this is O.K.

Regards
Andrew

Guy Pringle
April 8th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Would be great, my e-mail is at the bottom. I haven't been on this board for months and I've just spent about 4 hours catching up on everything, time to hit the sack! When we get to SA we are thinking of settling in CT, my wife worked at the prestigious post-production/facility house in CT, the Video Lab and she hasn't stopped talking about CT for 4 years, HA! HA!

Jean Kichenbrand
October 21st, 2002, 12:36 PM
Hi All,

I'm so glad that I found this site!

I've been thrown in the deep end by accepting employment as an Operations Manager for a guy that does wildlife darting, capture & cull in South Africa.

He now wants to shoot all his "adventures" and I've been assigned to run this project. From buying the equipment to filming and editing.

I'm gonna need all the help I can get!!

See you around!

Jean K

Andrew Leigh
October 22nd, 2002, 04:02 AM
Hi Jean,

Welcome, always good to see fellow South Africans on this forum. You will not have a dull moment and will meet many fine, helpful and informative people here.

One warning though, this forum gets addictive. Failure to visit regularly will result in cold sweats...uncontrolable shaking etc. but don't fear as this is easily remedied by regular participation.

I live in Alberton and am a XL-1 owner. I use a DVRaptor capture card and edit using Premiere. I will be happy to help out on the phone whenever I can.

Do a member search and yopu will find Didi Schoeman who lives near Tzaneen. I have spoken to him.

My numbers are;

+27 11 613 6731 (w)

+27 82 454 1948 (m)

Cheers
Andrew

Rob Lohman
October 22nd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Welcome aboard Jean. Glad you found the place. I can imagine
that everything will be a bit daunting for you in the beginning.
No worries, a lot of people are around here to help everyone
out.

Good luck with your projects!

Guy Pringle
November 7th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Hi Jean,

I've just returned from the USA after about 5 years there and it's great to be back home!

I've been in the film & tv biz for 16 years and have finally got myself set up for shooting and editing in the field. Spent about $15,000 on all my gear so I'm sure I can offer you some help.

One of the reasons I came back to SA is to get involved in wildlife doccies. Currently talking to Cheetah Outreach, hope I can hook up with them.

Give us a shout if you need any help, hell, give us a shout anyway, would be great to hear more about your project.

Aviv Hallale
April 10th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm Aviv, 18, and from Cape Town, South Africa.

I'm a first year film student at CityVarsity (www.cityvarsity.co.za) and am planning on majoring in editing for my second and third year, this includes:

Premiere
AVID
Media100
Boris
After Effects
Combustion

I've been into filmmaking for the last four years, have a portfolio of my since dissolved partnership at www.neverdead.co.nr and my first film school project up at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss6u0QyhDaQ

I have quite shoddy video equipment but a nice editing suite and am hoping to upgrade my camera setup (to DV :P)

I'm planning on making a career out of editing and earning enough capital to finance my own (write, direct, shoot, edit) projects. I'm also planning on starting up a videography business now to earn so money for future projects and leisure purposes.

Van Zijl Loots
October 5th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Hi all, the name´s Van Zijl. All the way from Cape Town, South Africa. Currently based in Vienna, Austria. Been backpacking through Europe, to get away from home and it all, met a beautiful girl here in Vienna and decided to stay before I move on. Anyways I´m a self-declared filmmaker, 23yo, everything I know is self taught. All the stuff I´ve done so far is back home. Just got a small set-up here in Vienna, so will start making movies again soon, and would love to share them with you all. Especially when DV7 comes around.

Anyways I love reading, writing, making music, doing animation, listening to music, watching movies (fiction/non-fiction) and quality TV series, making movies, arguing, playing pool, poker, vegetarian for 5 years now going onto veganism, drinking beer, what else? Not too sure...

But if anyone has any questions or comments, or wanna hook up, lemme know...

Great to be here...

Regards
Van Zijl

Gabriel Yeager
October 5th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Welcome to (H)DV info net. Its great to have you aboard!
Mind if I ask what camera it is that you now have?

So what instrument do you play? and what style of music do you like?

The horrible drummer,
~Gabriel~

Van Zijl Loots
October 5th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Hey Gabriel,

I have a Sony HDR-FX1E, use Sony Vegas 7 for editing. Use Reason 3 for making music. Play the Piano. But am into making electronic music. Wanna get a site up and running with some of my music, like Myspace.com or something. I also use Cinema 4D for Animation...

Regards
Van Zijl

Gabriel Yeager
October 5th, 2006, 02:15 PM
...Use Reason 3 for making music. Play the Piano. But am into making electronic music...

Oh, cool. I like Electronica. If you have Itunes, there is an awesome station called "groove salad, somaFM", its a great station.

Wanna get a site up and running with some of my music, like Myspace.com or something.

hmmm... What do you mean by this?

~Gabriel~

Van Zijl Loots
October 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Well I´ve made some music, about 30 or so tracks. And I wanna upload it to a site where people can listen to it easily. A place where I could also upload films I´ve made...

Know of any?

Regards
Reminiscence

Gabriel Yeager
October 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Yeah.
First of all, there is myspace (of course). There purevolume.com, But I don't know if you can host videos or not. Ummm..... Thats all I can think of.
Myspace is going to be your best bet, I think.

Let me know what you end up with.
~Gabriel~

Van Zijl Loots
October 6th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Well I can only upload music, since I´ve chosen the filmmaker option, mailed the support team and they replied the same bullcrap to me 3 times. Probably on auto-reply, argh...

Will check it out again over the weekend...

Regards
Reminiscence

Van Zijl Loots
October 11th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Well I can only upload music, since I´ve chosen the filmmaker option, mailed the support team and they replied the same bullcrap to me 3 times. Probably on auto-reply, argh...

Will check it out again over the weekend...

Regards
Reminiscence

I mean I can only upload movies...

Regards
Van Zijl Loots

Gabriel Yeager
October 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
THats weird... I've seen people use both. Maybe you should try to make a new account thats general, or something...

Best of luck!
~Gabriel~

Van Zijl Loots
October 12th, 2006, 02:56 AM
Lemme try. Thanks for the interest...

Regards
Reminiscence

Herman Van Deventer
December 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Hi, Herman van Deventer Cape Town / South-Africa

Company / Alienbrain Productions / 17 years exp. /
Broadcast , corp , music video ,doc /.

Co Produce / European & American Productions in South-Africa /
Favourable Exhange rate /

2nd Business / Alienbrain Systems / Develop Turnkey NLE Systems
for local industry. EX - representative for Pinnacle and Canopus in S-A.
Currently dedicated to Cineform Solutions for the HD , HDV market /
brilliant products !

XLHI / crew / post facilities available /

Welcome all contacts /
Chris - Thank you for membership / appreciated !

Pieter Saayman
December 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Hi Herman,

Nice to see you here. There are quite a few South Africans on this forum.

Welcome

Herman Van Deventer
December 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Pieter / What area are you from.

Building a buddy base / I work all over S-A / Good contacts
and crew always appreciated.

Greetings
Herman

Carl Mischke
February 5th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Hi, guys
Just joined, and glad to see other South Africans here! In Jo'burg, strictly amateur. Wish I could spend more time on this, but my day job (labour lawyer) sometimes keep me too busy.
Current gear: Canon XH A1, PC with Premiere Pro 2, After Effects 7, etc. Couple of older things lurking in various cupboards, including Canon XM2.

Still trying to acquire some more After Effects skills and engaging in the occasional tussle with keyframes etc.

I came to DV from an electronic music background (Sonar).

Anyone know of any good ruins, deserted factories, old industrial sites to shoot in (I'm working on a project called "empty places")?

Regards,

Carl Mischke

Danie Pretorius
February 5th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hi Guys

I am also an amateur - wish I could spend more time on this (my day job is in IT). I am still using DV (XL1) ..busy looking for something to upgrade to. I have a Canon XL1 and edit on Matrox RT2500 with Adobe Premiere.

Want to get into HDV...looking at the Canon XH A1 and other editing possibilities to upgrade to. If you guys are ever around Pretoria or Gauteng..give me a call (Carl, perhaps we can see each other - both of us in Gauteng; I am in Pretoria and you are in Johannesburg. I am very keen to more involved with this wonderful technology!)

If you guys need any help with a shoot/event: extra XL1 / camera operator / hands, just shout, I am keen to learn more and more and more!

Dylan Couper
February 5th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Will Work For Free In South Africa,
Just Send Airline Ticket.

:)

Barry David
February 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Barry and I am currently at Film school in South Africa [ http://www.filmdramaschool.co.za ]. I shoot a 5 minuter next week monday using a DVX100 (pal version) and would like some tips for the shoot. Don't know if I should ask here or in another Topic Section so I will wait for your response (so I don't make anyone upset for posting in a wrong Topic Section, and for being a newb, haha).

The sooner the better (my paper is actually due tomorrow! [monday the 25th at 9am - that's Sunday night at 11pm for Americas]).

ok, so maybe i'll just ask really quick and you can send me an email or reply..... =)

Script location: Exterior: Golf Course <-- see my problem! ;)

Actors: 2 White, 1 Black, 1 Light Brown

School Lighting Package:
2 2k blondes & stands
2 1k redheadds & stands
2 Black Flags (1 4x4, 1 2x4)
cables
sandbags
silver reflector boards (4x4)
2 C Stands

Where can I find websites/articles on shooting in daylight?
What material to use to build a scrim frame?
Should I use a .3 ND as well as the ND filter provided with the camera?
Can I shoot this with just reflectors, ND and a home built scrim?
Anyone know of a good scene file setting to use for this type of location?

and is there a Tutorial section here? or Tips section for lighting sceneries, characters etc?

THANK YOU!! Hope to hear from someone REALLY soon!! haha

Greatful,
Barry

Herman Van Deventer
February 25th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Barry, Welcome on the Forum /

Regarding all your Questions with a tight time schedule on hand /
I could help , If you can give me a call here in South-africa.

You have got a lot of Questions / I can supply the answers verbaly faster
than typing it.

Greetings / Comrade / Herman van Deventer
Cape-Town
0835324438 /cell.

Barry David
March 1st, 2007, 08:49 AM
Hi there guys,

I'm a student at AFDA [http://www.filmdramaschool.co.za] in Johannesburg, currently in 2nd year. I'm always looking for Industry vets opinions and suggestions, and every word is valuable!

Herman - I receieved your post on my "need help" post. Thank you and I'll be contacting you soon.

Hope to see you all around someday!

Bruce Allen
March 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Barry, do you know Ryley or James Carroll? They were seniors at AFDA...

Me, I did Hons at Wits. Now I'm in LA, working on weird things like titles for Borat and earning dollars so that I can make a killer camera rig to take home to SA and shoot something cool...

Cheers

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Anthony Mwamwenda
June 13th, 2007, 06:27 AM
My membership has FINALLY been activated, so I thought this would be a good place to put my first post!

I am actually from Vancouver, Canada; but I am currently studying at UKZN in sunny South Africa.

After years of being dissapointed by most of the stuff that Hollywood shovels out, I decided that I should stop saying that "I could do better," and prove that I actually could! So at the end of last year I bought myself a little 3-chip pana (all I could afford), and I've been producing garbage ever since!!! But I am improving with every piece of trash I make.

Anyway, I'm interested in making martial arts and horror movies. So if there is anyone in the area who likes action and effects, let me know! I don't have much experience but I'm ready to rock!!! I don't care about the size of the project, I just want to make movies.

Thats it for my intro.
I'm just happy to be here!

Chris Soucy
June 14th, 2007, 04:58 AM
Glad to have you aboard, it's a great place - just don't get lost!

Hey, where did that fabulous surname come from?

Cheers,

Chris

Rob Lohman
June 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Hi Anthony, welcome aboard DV Info Net, it's good to have you with us!

Anthony Mwamwenda
June 17th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
Its great to be a part of this community.

Chris
My Dad is from Tanzania, so thats where the last name comes from.

Thanks again!

Chris Soucy
June 17th, 2007, 01:21 AM
I grew up (but wasn't born) in Tasmania (Australia) - you would not believe the amount of gear/ post etc that ended up there instead of Tanzania - used to be regular reports in the newspaper about the latest "snafu". Always wondered about the place as a result. Ain't got there yet, but, still breathing, so may happen!

How are you finding SA?

Yet another place I ain't been which is on the "to do" list.

Sigh, so many countries, so little time.

Have a good one.

Cheers,

Chris

Shane Rielly
June 20th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Hey everyone,

i'm kinda new on here... I live i South Africa and i'm currently using my new A1 and getting to know it a little better. i mostly film interviews for government and some weddings and stuff for money, but i film surfing for enjoyment. my next project is to design and build a waterproof housing for my A1 so i can get some in water footage...that's going to be a challenge!
I edit on Premiere Pro 1.5 and really want to learn some hardcore stuff in AE...
I'm also working on an idea for a TV show and i hope to shoot a pilot for that soon!

Thanks for reading!!

Rob Lohman
June 20th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Hi Shane, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Good luck with your projects,

Shane Rielly
June 20th, 2007, 05:01 AM
Thanks!

It's good to be able to get advice and learn stuff from guys who know a lot more than i do! It's the best way to learn!

Herman Van Deventer
June 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM
Welcome Shane !

The forum host quite a few South-African members. Enjoy the info on the best forum available.

Comrade / Herman.

Louis Mostert
June 21st, 2007, 08:51 AM
Hi from East London SA!

Shane Rielly
June 21st, 2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks Herman, it's good to know there are some more South African's on here...!

Hi Louis, it just so happens that i also live in EL...which, unlike many people, i love actually!
it really is a small world! good to know there is another fellow East Londoner learning the craft...

Louis Mostert
June 21st, 2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks Herman, it's good to know there are some more South African's on here...!

Hi Louis, it just so happens that i also live in EL...which, unlike many people, i love actually!
it really is a small world! good to know there is another fellow East Londoner learning the craft...

Yeah, small world.
Wow. What a coincidence!
I like EL to. Not to big and not to small. :)

Louis Mostert
June 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Hi Shane

Are you talking about the Canon XHA1?

Shane Rielly
June 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Hi,
Yes, it's the Canon XH-A1. I only got it just over a week ago...
What camera are you using at the moment? I was using a Sony FX1E before the A1...

Louis Mostert
June 22nd, 2007, 01:06 AM
Hi,
Yes, it's the Canon XH-A1. I only got it just over a week ago...
What camera are you using at the moment? I was using a Sony FX1E before the A1...

I don't have a camera yet.

XH-A1 - I've seen sample footage. It looks amazing.

Shane Rielly
June 22nd, 2007, 01:33 AM
I don't have a camera yet.

XH-A1 - I've seen sample footage. It looks amazing.

I'm really enjoying it so far...
If you'd like to come check it out sometime i'd be completely cool with that...! Just let me know if you're keen and i'll give you my work address... I run my own business so it's all good!
I was borowing the FX1E before and it took me almost two years to get enough cash for this one. but know it makes money for me...
It's a good feeling finally getting a camera...i'm sure you'll get one soon enough!

John Dennis Robertson
June 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Just bought a small Panasonic 3ccd consumer cam,and loving every second of it.Still not sure if its the filming or the editing I enjoy the most.Im sure I can and will learn from all u pro's

Meryem Ersoz
June 24th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hey ho, glad to have you aboard DVinfo...just the other day I was kind of wishing that someone from Africa would sign up for the UWOL Challenge, because one of my favorite things about it is how quickly it has spanned the globe, with 14 different sectors of the world represented from Australia to Norway, etc....and suddenly you and your new camcorder appeared in the sign-up thread. Nice!

As we say in the US, must be time for me to buy a lottery ticket....

Good luck, have fun, and looking forward to seeing what you can learn from the experience.

Herman Van Deventer
June 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
John,

a Lot of South-African, Amigo's on the forum.

Enjoy the info.

Herman.

Guy Cochran
June 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Nice to see you on the forums. I love it down in South Africa, it's beautiful. We were down there a few years ago for RESFEST and Sitenghi. I didn't want to leave! The folks we met at the festivals were very vibrant, creative and eager learn. So cool.

Welcome :)