View Full Version : Lens Cleaning of an XL-1s

Chris Zimmerman
November 22nd, 2004, 09:20 AM
I know this sounds like a simple question, but I want to make sure that I am doing it correctly.

Just how do you go about cleaning your lenses. Is there products that we should avoid? and or use?

Thanks

Jack Smith
November 24th, 2004, 12:09 AM
I use Kodak lense tissue and an air bulb, Kodak fluid if there might be a build up of any vapour on the glass.
Process is ...... use airbulb to get rid of solids( dust) you must do this so your not rubbing the glass with particles!
....... apply a couple of drops of fluid on tissue, wipe around glass circularly.
........ wipe with dry tissue
smitty

G. Randy Brown
November 26th, 2004, 09:02 AM
What's an air bulb Smitty?
Thanks,
Randy

Jack Smith
November 28th, 2004, 01:13 AM
It looks like one of those things you flush your ears out with except it has a little VERY soft brush on the end. You can softly brush some dry particles then as you squeeze the bulb a jet of air comes out.Don't have to worry about pulling liquid out of a can of air and it doesn't run out of air.Available in camera stores.
smitty

Rick Bravo
November 28th, 2004, 11:32 AM
As Jack stated, never apply the liquid to the lens, apply it to the tissue. When you wipe, do it from the outside of the glass towards the center. This way, if there is any physical "schmutz" it will now embed itself in the retaining ring of your filter or the lens element itself.

RB

Calvin Chang
November 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : As Jack stated, never apply the liquid to the lens, apply it to the tissue. When you wipe, do it from the outside of the glass towards the center. This way, if there is any physical "schmutz" it will now embed itself in the retaining ring of your filter or the lens element itself.

RB -->>>

Hi:

I have different direction regarding wipe my lens.

But here is the link from Fujinon. Even it's in japanese(I beleive they are lens professional), the clip can give you some idea.

http://tv.fujinon.jp/archive/lens/lens_f-bb01.asf

Calvin

G. Randy Brown
November 28th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Thanks guys.
Randy

Rick Bravo
November 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM
With all due respect to the "engineers", if they want to wipe from the inside out, so be it. Remember, engineers build it in the labs, they don't use it in the field!

I can only fall back on over 25 years experience as a First Camera Assistant...I was always taught circular, from the outside in.

Either method works, it just depends on what blows your skirt up! ;)

Regards, RB.