View Full Version : How do I remove the FX1 lens assmebly?

Paul Cascio
June 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
I downloaded a Level 2 repair manual, but what I'm not clear on is if I have to remove almost everything on this camera before removing the lens assmebly, or if I can get right to it?

I've discovered that I have a camera with dirt inside the lens. I can't afford the $1000 that Sony wants to clean it.

Dirk Pel
June 21st, 2009, 02:20 PM
Perhaps this photos can help you!
SONY HDR-FX1 Camcorder Service (http://www.camcorderservice.nl/sony_fx1.htm)

Dirk Pel

Warren Kawamoto
June 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think you can successfully take apart and put together a lens assembly without calibration and alignment equipment. Taking apart camera components is one thing, but getting inside the lens assembly is a whole different story.

Paul Cascio
June 24th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I thought I had seen a thread about removing and cleaning the lens, but I couldn't find it. Anyone know for certain if it's possible?

Pete Cofrancesco
June 24th, 2009, 01:21 PM
One thing I do know from personal experience, it is very difficult taking apart these cameras and even more difficult to putting them back together. I strongly recommend not doing it. I once successfully replaced the head phone jack on my VX2000. As I was putting it back together 1 screw fell into the lens area. I could never fully disassemble the camera to get at it. As a result the camera no longer works. Lesson learned.

I highly doubt dust in or on the lens would be visible in your video.

Boyd Ostroff
June 25th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Don't do it! Instead of a camera with dirt inside the lens, you will have a dead camera. Even if you send it to Sony, they will replace the whole lens module (based on reports from others with similar problems).