View Full Version : Golden - opening scene - VFX heavy micro budget

Dean Yurke
June 9th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Hi Dvinfo,

Golden (opening scene) on Vimeo

First post, helloooo. This is the opening scene to an independent feature I'm making. Just about to start casting. Sending out breakdown notices to sfcasting and breakdownservices in the next few weeks under the SAG ultra low-budget agreement.

This was shot with the HVX200 - brevis 35mm adapter and an 18mm Nikon Prime. Visual effects created with discreete logics inferno. Uses Kessler Crane and indislider.

if you love it then you can subscribe to my newsletter email me dean@ilm.com

Cheers everyone,

Dean Yurke

Brent Tam
June 11th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Dean, this looks awesome! I can't wait to see more footage (and also learn more about the story)!

When are you aiming to have the project completed by?

I'm in the Bay Area, so let me know if you need an extra hand!

Dean Yurke
June 13th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Dean, this looks awesome! I can't wait to see more footage (and also learn more about the story)!

When are you aiming to have the project completed by?

I'm in the Bay Area, so let me know if you need an extra hand!

Excellent thanks Brent! I'm aiming to shot over the late summer and fall and complete post by halloween 2010.

The story is a morality tale about Greed Gold and Ghosts. Imagine The Shining meets Treasure of Sierra Madre with the cast of All The Boys Love Mandy Lane.

Roshdi Alkadri
June 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM
i think obviously sound really pushed this piece. I love the buildup.

Roshdi Alkadri
June 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
how micro is the budget if you're using a crane and discreet smoke, connections maybe?

Dean Yurke
June 14th, 2009, 02:09 AM
how micro is the budget if you're using a crane and discreet smoke, connections maybe?

Hi Roshdi, the tools available to the indie filmmaker are amazing theses days, from 35mm adapters, after effects and HD prosumer camcorders the "workers finally have the means to production."

Check out
Kessler Crane™ - Quality Professional Camera Cranes, Camera Jib & Camera Support Products - Home (http://www.kesslercrane.com/)
I'm amazed at how much production value a simple crane can add to a piece, you just don't expect it in a micro film.

But you are right that I do have access to an inferno and I am an experienced Visual Effects Artist but almost everything I've produced can be created from affordable off the shelf software like after effects / shake. Might take a bit longer but still very achievable.

Like wise with the sound too, programs like Acid / Soundtrack pro and loop libraries are invaluable.

I'm so grateful that we live in a time where we can now edit and master 1080p on laptop.

Vive la revolution digital!

Dean

Roshdi Alkadri
June 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
I totally agree with you. Recently i composed a cinematic track using sonic fire pro and mixed in nuendo. A couple of people thought it was a studio job. I also did an animation in 3d but used a 2d toon shader and another person thought i drew the whole thing.

Yes you are right that we live in a digital revolution, i remember back in the day with digital 8 was like wow. Now you can shoot 1080 HD, edit, mix, add VFX and Distribute all without leaving your desk. Thats a nice piece you got there, i love sound mixing/editing and the build up at the beginning is amazing. You used soundtrack pro? pretty nice.

You're like me in one aspect, i tell people its not just the tools but the operator behind it.

Dennis Murphy
June 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Those fx look pretty damn good.

Dean Yurke
June 16th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Those fx look pretty damn good.

Sweet, thanks Dennis!

Derrick A.Jones
June 20th, 2009, 07:26 AM
This looks like it is going to be great!

Cant wait to see more

Paul Cascio
June 20th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Nice job, really grabs you fast. I love the premise of an abandoned gold mine. Very original.
Best of succes to you.

Ryan Hansen
June 21st, 2009, 08:47 PM
wow awesome effects!
Best of luck

Dean Yurke
July 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks Ryan, Paul and Derrick!

I've been busy casting and I have some amazing actors onboard. Can't wait to share the details with you! Going SAG was the best decision I ever made.

Woohooo.

Dean.

Dean Yurke
July 31st, 2009, 02:32 AM
Okay, things are moving forward, I've just uploaded the new website. I've added a synopsis and bios of myself and the new producer! w00t!

Goldenthemovie.com (http://www.goldenthemovie.com)

Sverrir Fridriksson
August 2nd, 2009, 04:52 AM
I love how it starts slowly and gradually gets more exciting. Even with the effects becoming heavier by the second, they never seem to become fake. Great work.

Dean Yurke
August 8th, 2009, 03:16 AM
I love how it starts slowly and gradually gets more exciting. Even with the effects becoming heavier by the second, they never seem to become fake. Great work.

Thank you Sverrir! Much appreciated. I'm glad you stayed with it as it does start slow then builds in scale.

I'm storyboarding some more sequences at the moment and hope to shoot them in the coming weeks.

Thanks again,

Dean : )

Dean Yurke
August 26th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Just got back from LA. Casting is going unbelievably well. Business plan is done. Storyboarding in full swing.

Henrik Holmberg
August 29th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Yes, this intrigued me. You're off to a good start! And like the others have said; it doesn't have a micro/low-budget feel to it.

Dean Yurke
September 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Yes, this intrigued me. You're off to a good start! And like the others have said; it doesn't have a micro/low-budget feel to it.

Thanks Henrik,

That's the plan. There's a lot of tools out there these days to plus the look of low budget features but as you know, being a writer, it's still all about the story and the characters.

I think making the opening really paid off since it's helped me to attract actors that are well above my budget so I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens next.

Thanks again.

Dean Yurke
September 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
QUESTION:

I'm designing the ghosts at the moment and am looking for great examples of subtle ghosts. I like the idea of seeing something but only briefly and at very intense moments.

Mostly the ghosts will be invisible, just their effect on the environment, mist, leaves, shadows but now and again during lightning flashes or in the shadows I'd like to show something freaky.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dean.

Dean Yurke
September 30th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Casting is almost complete, just one more role to confirm. Woohooo.

Peter Malcolm
October 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Hi Dean,

It looks fantastic. I looked at your profile on your website, and it says that you were first recognized for a student film you've done. As a student filmmaker in Vancouver I'm very interested in these kinds of things.

What's the film called? Is there any way I can see it?

Thanks,

Peter

Dean Yurke
October 14th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Hi Dean,

It looks fantastic. I looked at your profile on your website, and it says that you were first recognized for a student film you've done. As a student filmmaker in Vancouver I'm very interested in these kinds of things.

What's the film called? Is there any way I can see it?

Thanks,

Peter

The film was called CODE and it was a fun scifi virus movie. It's not online since it was made a long time ago before computers... well not that long ago. If I ever upload it I'll let you know, send me your email to info@goldenthemovie.com

Dean Yurke
October 25th, 2009, 12:56 AM
http://www.goldenthemovie.com/images/eye3d_mon.1.jpg

In 3D - Grab your anaglyph glasses

Nathan DuMoulin
October 28th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I'm a visual effects artist myself who is also taking a stab at movie making. This piece is a huge inspiration to me. Excellent work.

Dean Yurke
November 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I'm a visual effects artist myself who is also taking a stab at movie making. This piece is a huge inspiration to me. Excellent work.

Thank you Nathan!

I love my day job but there's nothing more satisfying than enhancing your own work with visual effects. We're really blessed to have the technology at our fingertips to produce original imagery that 10 years ago would have been impossible for the independent filmmaker.

Thanks again

Dean.