View Full Version : What settings for the mountains out west?

Mike Burgess
May 13th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Well, I just got an FX7 a few weeks ago and have not really learned it yet. In four weeks, I am headed for Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs. Will be taking it and an SR11 with me as I and my wife hike up into the mountains, etc.. The FX7 will have its tripod along, while the SR11 will not. Anyway....
I would like some advice on suggested settings with the FX7. Subjects to be shot will be both rather near (flowers, etc.), and far (wildlife, panaramic sweeps). Of course times will vary from early AM to late in the evening at dusk. I know that leaving all on auto would work, but just wondering if there are things I could do to make the video even better, clearer, more like being there.

Thanks.
Mike

Leslie Wand
May 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
get a cpl filter, pref one with rotation - you wont believe what a difference it will make!

shoot standard, don't use presets, etc., any cc, tweaking can be done in post.

enjoy your trip

leslie

Mike Beckett
May 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM
My 2 cents... (and I am not a "pro").

After reading an article by Stefan Sargent, I got a 0.6 ND filter to pop on the front of my V1. In bright sunny weather you can open the iris up, engage the built in ND and screw on the 0.6ND filter, and get pretty good depth of field very easily.

I also got a white balance card from Lastolite (though any white card would do) - it's made from fabric, and can fold up pretty small without getting damaged.

I also keep a careful eye on the histogram and zebras to try to get the exposure right. Not sure if you can get those on the FX7.

Apart from this, I don't use any magic picture profiles. I tried the above combination for the first time at the weekend - instead of normal iris settings and preset white balance - and it gave me some lovely shots (cliffs/wildlife/rocks/plant life).

Oren Arieli
May 13th, 2009, 09:03 AM
These cameras get pretty good images right out of the box...but I would focus on what would truly make your footage more like 'being there'. First, practice smooth pans/tilts and make sure your tripod is up to task. Learn the basics rules of composition (and use them). Make sure you're not doing the typical 'vacation handheld 360' where you stand in one spot and pan your camera all around while describing what you see. Save the voice overs for post (but take notes in the field). Mix up your wide/medium/close up shots. Stay off the zoom whenever possible. Make a 'story' out of your trip, come up with a theme (the environment, the history of the area, the geography). Find some park rangers to interview (informally). Better yet, read about the area, come up with some 'must have' shots for a mini-doc you can put together.
I understand the need for a quick-fix to get good pix, but I can promise that a good story will overcome bad camerawork (think Blair Witch), whereas good camerawork cannot overcome a bad story (Ishtar).

Stephan Stryhanyn
May 13th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I know that leaving all on auto would work, but just wondering if there are things I could do to make the video even better, clearer, more like being there.Well, yes and no... I've had footage from some trip abroad that was ruined by that very auto behavior. The HDR-FX7 is temperamental. It also depends on how high your expectations are. So make sure you've checked & understood your camcorder's behavior in the color / focusing / sharpness departments, and if necessary adjust your practice accordingly. Plenty of practice tips & tutorials available from your friend Google.

Regarding the pools in Yellowstone, the white ground will drive your shutter speed up and give a strobing effect on the water projections (ugly!) So the advice for the ND filter is a good one so as to keep shutter speed @ 1/60 for those shots. Don't settle for cheap, buy a high quality one because cheap NDs aren't so exactly, totally neutral. But again, it depends on your expectations.

Bill Ravens
May 14th, 2009, 07:45 AM
After many years of shooting in the deserts of the American Southwest, I've found the following general rules:
1-NEVER use any automatic settings
2-use ND filters, either built in or screw on, to keep lens apertures around f/2.8
3-depending on your cameras metering system, always expose for the blue sky. Setup your zebra function to 100% and use manual apertures to barely get the zebra to disappear. If you allow the camera to set up an average exposure, you'll blow out sunny, blu skies every time.
4-there are some situations where a gradient filter works wonders to make spectacular sky/foreground shots.
best of luck

Garry Moore
May 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I've saved a picture profile you might want to try on my V1U;
COLOR LEVEL +7
COLOR PHASE 0
SHARPNESS 10
SKINTONE DTL off
SKINTONE LVL 4
WB SHIFT +7
KNEE POINT auto
BLK COMPNSTN stretch
CINEMATONE GAMMA off
CINEMATONE COLOR on

I start with this, check white balance,zebra 100, use ND 1 or 2 for sunlight and keep everything manual and adjust for aperature, shutter speed. Try it, I am happy with the results! Dont forget to use shot transition for focusing close on spring flowers and then panning back to the mountain vistas! Time lapse is good too but I dont think the FX-7 has that. Show off your samples on your return. Good Luck

Garry Moore
May 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I've saved a picture profile you might want to try on my V1U;
COLOR LEVEL +7
COLOR PHASE 0
SHARPNESS 10
SKINTONE DTL off
SKINTONE LVL 4
WB SHIFT +7
KNEE POINT auto
BLK COMPNSTN stretch
CINEMATONE GAMMA off
CINEMATONE COLOR on

I start with this, check white balance, zebra 100, use ND 1 or 2 for sunlight and keep everything manual and adjust for aperature, shutter speed. Try it, I am happy with the results! Dont forget to use shot transition for focusing close on spring flowers and then panning back to the mountain vistas! Time lapse is good too but I dont think the FX-7 has that. Show off your samples on your return. Good Luck

Mike Burgess
May 15th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks to all.
I have shot hundreds of hours of video on my old Sony digital cam, and on my SR11. Have shot everything from Lake Michigan shorelines to the desert southwest. However, for this trip, I am very nervous, in that it may be my last time visiting there (been to these parks four times before), and since this is the first time with HD camcorders, I want to make it the best possible with outstanding video.
I will be taking the camcorder out during the next two weeks or so, and do some practicing. I will be taking a copy of these responses with me and trying the things you all have given.

Thanks again.

Mike

Stephan Stryhanyn
May 16th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Mike, have you checked the HDR-FX7 tutorial (http://www.friendsofhdv.com/hdv-tips/sony-hdr-fx7-hdr-fx7e-tutorial) lately? There's maybe a couple of tips there you might find helpful if you're looking for a comprehensive checklist when on the go.

Hugh Mobley
May 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Shoot in default mode, and color it in post, Magic Bullet is good to use

Mike Burgess
May 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Mike, have you checked the HDR-FX7 tutorial (http://www.friendsofhdv.com/hdv-tips/sony-hdr-fx7-hdr-fx7e-tutorial) lately? There's maybe a couple of tips there you might find helpful if you're looking for a comprehensive checklist when on the go.

No I haven't, but I'll give it a look. Thanks.

Mike

Mike Burgess
May 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Shoot in default mode, and color it in post, Magic Bullet is good to use

Something else to think about. Thanks, Hugh.

Mike

Hugh Mobley
May 17th, 2009, 05:34 PM
check out Philip Blooms' tutorial on Magic Bullet on Red TV

Mike Burgess
May 17th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Hugh. Not familiar with Red TV. Will google it. Thanks.

Mike

By the way, Hugh, looked at some of your stuff, very nice.

Stephan, just downloaded the tutorial. Seems like some good stuff. Thanks again.

Mike

Terry Jacob
May 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I dont have any info but all I can say is that yellowstone is amazing. The Grand Tetons even more amazing. Im 16 now, so about three years ago when I was 13. My family and I took a road trip out to Jackson Hole, Wyoming to visit cousins. Went went to Yellowstone. And so far every christmas we have gone there to ski. It is amazing. Breath taking views, the wildlife, every aspect of it is amazing. Good luck and have tons of fun.

Mike Burgess
May 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks Terry. I have been there three previous times, so I know what you are talking about. Really looking forward to giving my camcorders a good workout there.

Mike

Terry Jacob
May 29th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Hi again, when you get back form your trip can you post the video on here. I would love to see it. thxs

Mike Burgess
May 30th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hi again, when you get back form your trip can you post the video on here. I would love to see it. thxs

Not sure how to do that, having never even given thought to that. Also, between my two HD cams, I will have hours of unedited footage. But if I can ever figure it out, I will put some samples out.

I plan on getting as much as I can of quality HD footage, in the event that I may not ever be able to get out there again. I will have two HD cams (SR11 and FX7), two good tripods, several extra batteries, lots of tapes, extra lenses, and sunscreen and bug juice. I love that area and the thought that this might be my last time, is very disheartening. But I want to at least have five to seven fantastic hours of carefully edited HD viewing on my plasma to help dull the pain of not actually being out there any more. Hence the HD cams. Believe me, this is definately a labor of love. That is why I will be spending extra time out there this trip, so as to take my time and get as much as possible, with the familiar sights and the not so familiar ones. The FX7 will be for shorter hikes, wide panoramic shots, etc., while the SR11 will be for the longer hikes. Between myself and my wife, I hope to come home with ten to twelve unedited hours of footage. One week to wait and then I am off. Can hardly wait. Even have my cowboy boots and hat ready to go.

Stephan Stryhanyn
May 30th, 2009, 11:11 AM
10-12 hrs raw footage for 5-7 edited?!? The ratio seems odd to me. Take more spare tapes, they are so cheap and you never have enough - esp. in the middle of beautiful WY. Better have too many than be sorry.

Adam Gold
May 30th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Stephan's absolutely right. Plan on about a 10:1 ratio of unedited to good edited footage. Shooting only 12 hours will be unlikely to give you more than about an hour of good edited (non-boring) footage. So either shoot more or plan on having less finished product.

Otherwise, your philosophy is dead on. Better to bank extra footage now and spend time editing later.

Stephan Stryhanyn
May 31st, 2009, 01:35 AM
5-7 minutes of finished footage per 60-min tape is also what I experienced. That's based on live shots of 12-30 secs each, resulting in 4-10 second segments on the editing timeline. Up to 1 tape per day esp. if you're lucky enough to travel the scenic byways, although I found the geyser basin near Old Faithful to be esp. taxing.

Leslie Wand
May 31st, 2009, 01:55 AM
wow! 10:1.....

for corporates i find i usually shoot 3:1, doco's around 5:1 on scripted / briefed parts - there's usually a lot of extra cutaway, overlay stuff shot when time permits.....

i would think it both a luxury and a pita shooting 10:1 - it would seem to be shooting blind? in other words, not composing or thinking about what you need (or see) before shooting.

Stephan Stryhanyn
May 31st, 2009, 05:55 AM
Not the same situation, purposes, or constraints here.

Mike Burgess
May 31st, 2009, 06:56 AM
I find the suggested ratios also surprising. But then, I am basing my projections on my previous experience of shooting railroads. Over the past several years, I have found my ratio to be almost 3 or 2 to 1, with it getting better and better as time goes by. That is undoubtedly due to; 1) I am getting better at planning and picking my shots, 2) I have gained more experience and have a better knowledge shooting and working with my chosen subject. So given that, the advice for a ratio of 3, 4 or 5 to 1 seems appropriate. However, 10 to 1 does seem excessive to me. I could be wrong (and may very well be).

Given that I have been to the area three times before, and I have already shot video of some areas with my old equipment, I am hoping that some of the unknowns have been reduced. Also, I am somewhat of a perfectionist (aka "anal"), in that I do take the time to think things through, map out my shots, account for lighting, etc. And yes, I am fully aware of all the unknowns and the unforeseens that can occur in nature; rain, clouds, wind, insects, uncooperative wildlife, my own glitches, possible accidents, and of course, rude tourists.

I am also a realist and know that I should indeed plan for all possibilities and that two or three or more shots of the same subject is well within the bounds of common sense and practice. Therefore, I will take your advice and purchase more tape (from ten to fifteen) in the event that I will find that 10 to 1 is closer to being necessary. Remember that my second cam is an SR11 that will capture up to 7 hours of additional footage.

I do appreciate all the responses from all of you, and do take it all seriously. After all, as I am constantly reminded by my wife, I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING.

Mike

Adam Gold
May 31st, 2009, 11:37 AM
in other words, not composing or thinking about what you need (or see) before shooting.Wow, aside from that being incredibly insulting, it is in fact the result of MORE planning, thought, professionalism and care -- and the knowledge that comes from experience of knowing you must cover yourself sixteen ways from Sunday to assure good footage once you are in your edit bay thousands of miles and many months away from your production location.

Not to get off on a rant here, but this is what distinguishes those who shoot like tourists from those who shoot (and edit) like professionals. Tourists wave the cam aimlessly about and include every frame of footage in their final projects; this is why their friends stop coming over.

The hard part about editing is not figuring what to include, but what to leave out. When we do sports, our shooting ratio is closer to 100:1, and for reality shows like "Survivor" I know for a fact it is similar -- how else could they condense three days, with 18 people to cover with 10 crews, into 44 minutes of show? When I'm traveling, every object I shoot gets a close, medium and wide shot; zooming in and zooming out, both slow and fast; and panning right and left and tilting up and down. Maybe we'll pull focus as well. And each of these needs to be no less than 10 seconds in duration. And this further assumes that no one walks in front of the camera while I'm shooting (sound is rarely an issue), and that every move is perfect and doesn't need to be done again, and that focus and exposure are perfect in every case (as they usually are, because I've learned the hard way that my cameras are smarter than I am and it never pays to try to out-think them).

You can certainly have a vision of what you think your video will be like before you leave the house, but in documentary work, you never know what you're going to have until you begin reviewing your footage on the PC, when it is too late to go back for re-shoots.

Mike Burgess
June 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
Wow, I guess I am not as good as I thought I was. The final proof will be in the pudding when I get back. Fortunately, this production will not be for anyone but me. And while I will be very picky and fussy in my edit bay, there will be no critics but me. BUT, I am getting extra tape, as suggested.

Thanks again to all who have responded with your suggestions. I do take them all seriously and do tend to follow good advice.

Lets see now, is there anything I have forgotten?

Mike

Stephan Stryhanyn
June 2nd, 2009, 12:10 AM
When I'm traveling, [...]These are all the very reasons I meant. In addition, the dear ones who accompany the travelling videographer like to believe (oddly enough) that they live in an unscripted, uncontrolled world ("having a nice time" did we figure they call it? ;-) which may require a bit of flexibility rather than scripting one's way around.

The audience seems to be dual - the videographer tends to like watching what he/she most dearly planned for, whereas the travelling party seems to prefer watching those unexpected events they brought back as their most vivid memories maybe?

Mike Burgess
June 5th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Well, I leave tomorrow. My only real concern, after procurring extra tapes, is what the weather will be. Can't control or do anything about that. If Yellowstone blows up, I'll have great video of it (ignoring the fact that it would not survive the blast).
See ya all in three weeks.

Mike