View Full Version : Mid level spreader vs. ground level spreader

Max Allen
March 22nd, 2004, 02:31 AM
Hello everyone,

Is there any reason to use a mid-level spreader other than uneven ground or floor, or needing to extend the legs at different lengths to securing them.

A ground level spreader is more stable than mid level, do you agree?

Frank Granovski
March 22nd, 2004, 03:20 AM
Yes, it's a lot more stable. For which tripod?

Chris Hurd
March 22nd, 2004, 08:31 AM
I prefer mid-level spreaders outdoors, fewer tripod parts to get dirty.

Max Allen
March 22nd, 2004, 02:34 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : Yes, it's a lot more stable. For which tripod? -->>>

I think ground level would be more stable because the physics are pretty much the same for any pro level tripod. Was just wondering if anybody had other reasons for using mid-level.

Robert J. Wolff
March 22nd, 2004, 03:41 PM
I can only give you my experiences over several decades.

On a "Shoot & Scoot", you are more likely to forget to retrieve the ground spreader. When you return, it will have been "salvaged", for use by a comrad in the business. If you are the boss, you curse yourself, for being stupid. If you are not the boss, you WILL be called a dunce, and, you may have to pay for it.

I am neutral as to what people call a stabile platform.

In a fast pace shoot, the mid has the edge in set up time. And, since it is intregal to the TP, you only lose it, when you loose the whole thing.

At that stage, I would move to the other coast.

Max Allen
March 22nd, 2004, 10:30 PM
For a spreader that has to be detached before moving the tripod every time you have a couple of points but I've never used a ground spreader that isn't attached to the sticks nor have I seen the need the to. Why would you use that, perhaps more rigidity?

Ken Tanaka
March 22nd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Mid and ground spreaders each have beauties and blemishes. I have tripods that feature both designs and cannot honestly say that one is inherently better, or even more convenient, than the other.

One attribute often overlooked on this subject is that of leg splay. Mid-level spreaders generally have a fixed diameter. Ground spreaders feature a variable diameter enabling the legs to be spread to the degree desirable. The best ground spreaders, such as the one on my Vinten, feature calibrated markings on each wing which enable you to easily set relatively precise spreads. Space permitting, the broader the stance of the legs the more stable the tripod. (Like a sumo wrestler.)

But, again, each design has advantages.

Jeff Donald
March 23rd, 2004, 08:15 AM
adjustable mid-level spreaders are available from both Sachtler and Vinten. This allows for a greater lateral extension of the legs. Mid-level spreaders are smaller, thus lighter weight.