View Full Version : Howdy from Texas!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Mike Teutsch
July 4th, 2006, 12:54 PM
For the DV challenge can I start with news stories that I've done and then short stuff later?

Oh no no no! There will be a theme posted at the start of the contest, and you will have to shoot new footage/new movie for the contest. It is cool and a great learning experiance. I hope that you join us.

Check out the DV Challange forum for more info and past entries. Have fun!

Mike

Shedrick Mask
July 4th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Oh no no no! There will be a theme posted at the start of the contest, and you will have to shoot new footage/new movie for the contest. It is cool and a great learning experiance. I hope that you join us.

Check out the DV Challange forum for more info and past entries. Have fun!

Mike
Oh ok I def. try to compete. I'll look it up once I I get a break from work.

Chris Hurd
July 4th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as soon as I could. Always nice to see yet another Texan on DV Info Net. Welcome aboard,

Joe Carney
July 5th, 2006, 02:01 PM
My family moved to Waco Tx right after the Civil war, I unfortunately, was born in Buffalo NY (thanks to the Fed govt), then moved back when very young. My brother was born in Chorpus Christi and I have relatives in Houston/Galveston areas. I've been in Europe, Turkey and all over the USA since.

Lived at Ft Hood 18months, hated Killeen and Copperas Cove, fell in love with Austin. Been hoping to move back for decades, but can't seem to find a job around there. Dallas maybe, but not Austin. Drat. Dallas too conservative for me, Houston to spread out and urbanized. Austin, and surrounding area perfect, at least 10 years ago. Prefer country if possible.

I'm also a dyed in the wool Cowboys fan, even when they suck, which is a lot lately.

Shedrick Mask
July 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
My family moved to Waco Tx right after the Civil war, I unfortunately, was born in Buffalo NY (thanks to the Fed govt), then moved back when very young. My brother was born in Chorpus Christi and I have relatives in Houston/Galveston areas. I've been in Europe, Turkey and all over the USA since.

Lived at Ft Hood 18months, hated Killeen and Copperas Cove, fell in love with Austin. Been hoping to move back for decades, but can't seem to find a job around there. Dallas maybe, but not Austin. Drat. Dallas too conservative for me, Houston to spread out and urbanized. Austin, and surrounding area perfect, at least 10 years ago. Prefer country if possible.

I'm also a dyed in the wool Cowboys fan, even when they suck, which is a lot lately.
Killeen has grown in the time since you've been here, it actually bigger IMO than Waco. Austin I've only been there once and that was back in High School. I so want to work while travling the world I just haven't found that job yet. So until then I'm here, honing my shooting skills in the boonies of Central Texas.

Tyler H. Smith
July 7th, 2006, 01:04 AM
So I was checking out info on DIY stuff and I found this forum.

It is amazing. Thank you Chris and anyone else affiliated with the site.

Ok well, I live in Houston as of now, but later this year I'll live in Arlington. I'll be there for college at UT Arlington and may transfer to UT Austin. I have been interested in movies since I was very young and have used super8, Hi-8, and DV cameras. I have yet to check out the HDV cameras, but hope to get one for school with the money from work and graduation.

As of now, the FX1 is the only feasible HD option for me. I really want to try out the M2 micro35 adapter; if James could maybe hook me up with a student discount or maybe an in-state discount.

Check out some videos at http://rockbottomproductions.googlepages.com/

Thanks,
Tyler

Rob Lohman
July 7th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Hi Tyler, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Daniel Wang
July 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Houston (Bay Area/Clear Lake) down here! I know that there are a bunch of cowboys (ha ha...pixel wrangler?) round' these parts.

Tyler H. Smith
July 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Ya, there seem to be quite a few Texans on the forum.

After saying all that about the FX1, I think Im going to go with standard def. I just won't have the money for everything needed. Im looking into DVX's as of now.

Thank you all for the replies,
Tyler

John Dawson
December 13th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I live about 300 miles south of Waco. I am trying to do some Weddings I use a Cannon GL2 with a FS-4 recorder.

Nathan Stout
February 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Hi all,

Just got my XL2 in day before yesterday. It's gonna take a lot of learning to master this baby.

I work in IT and have a public access tv show that ran in Fort Worth but runs online for the most part now a days. www.accordingtowhim.com

I am hoping to put this camera to good use!

Rob Lohman
February 15th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Hi Nathan, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Congratulations on the purchase!

C.K. Thurber
June 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Hey, my name is C.K. Thurber and I have been a filmmaker for over 10 years now. My specialty is in videography, but I have played with every role on a film set. I graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in Radio-TV-Film.

I found I had skills in producing, the business side, so I am now getting my MBA in digital media management at St. Edward's in Austin. Now with the new tax incentives in Texas, I hoping to be working a lot more.

Currently, though, I am working at b-side entertainment, an online niche indie film distributor that catches those festival gems that are not lucky enough to receive studio distribution.

Anyways, it is great to be here. Nice to meet you all!

Greg Boston
June 12th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Welcome aboard, C. K. Please be sure to review our posting policy. This board runs a lot differently than what you'll find elsewhere on the internet. We keep it clean and neutral, with lots of info, and little or no garbage. I'm just north of Dallas.

regards,

Greg Boston
Moderator (Wrangler in Texas talk)

Chris Hurd
June 12th, 2007, 09:19 AM
It's always nice to see the state-standard "Howdy from Texas!" greeting. It was my regular salutation when I posted online elsewhere on the web, and I used it for the very first public post here at DV Info Net: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=7

Great to see a fellow Longhorn too. I graduated from the U.T. Austin film school back in 1990. Spent many a long hour in the OLE bays up in the Box Car. Burgers and Shiner Bock across the street on the Drag at Hole In The Wall... sometimes I really miss those days! Dang, I just made myself hungry...

Welcome aboard,

Trey Dillen
June 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I'm about to go into my senior year of high school and I need to narrow down my choices for college. I live in Pittsburgh, PA but Texas is one of the top schools on my list right now. How was your experience at UT? Do you recommend it? ...just trying to narrow down my choices and any comments would help..thanks

C.K. Thurber
June 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
First of all: any film school is only as good as you make it. If you don't volunteer for projects or try on every role on the set, you will not get the best education.

With that said, I think UT has a great film and video program. They are one of the few state schools (i.e. cheap) that actually focuses more on film production than television (and since television is becoming more like film, it's highly important to know one camera shooting versus three style).

They are a little loosy goosy on allowing you to take nearly any class you want. This is great because you can take cinematography and sound classes one semester and editing and production design classes another. It's can be bad, though, as many students do not take requirement courses in the mean time or take too many RTF courses and end up there 8 years (so if you are sensible about planning courses, you'll be fine).

If you are looking for producing, John Pierson (Clerks, Reel Paradise) teaches. If you are looking for screenwriting, Bob Foshko and Richard Lewis teach. If you want to get your shorts festival ready, Scott Rice is your guy. While not all the faculty is great, the majority are working filmmakers who know their craft.

Austin is a great town, and there is a new studio being built here (and tax incentives just got passed), so there should be a lot of work here. However, UT is just a training facility. They will not do anything to help you get a job. It's not like USC and UCLA that has apprenticeships in place. There is a film "studio" attached to UT, burnt orange productions, but most of the key spots go to grad students or who the outside directors hire.

UT will give you a lot of the great experience and resume builders you need, but you will have to learn to shop yourself around afterwards... there's no free meal here. A lot of my peers are working, but many are also not. It is, however, the best bang for your buck and when you get done with the program, you will have a bachelor's degree so you can at least get A job when you get out (as opposed to the film intensives).

I'm sure you already know the site, but it's http://rtf.utexas.edu . Be sure you do your research and visit the school (you may not be able to stand the August heat here!). IMDB has a fairly extensive list of film school sites (http://www.imdb.com/filmschools).

If you have any other questions about UT, do not hesitate to contact me ckthurber@bside.com .

Jeff Anselmo
June 13th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Welcome C.K., and a big howdy to y'all from The Pass (although I think I'm the only El Pasoan using that term).

This site is a wonderful font of knowledge, effervescing with helpful, critical, honest, and oft times humorous people. Chris certainly runs a nice show!

Trey--

I went to a "small" film school in Southern Calif. (Chapman Univ) for three years and found it a very great experience. Like C.K. said utilize your time well, get on a set as soon as possible and learn every position as much as possible, help out your fellow classmates (but be humble and nice about it :), establish friendships and connections for now and in the future, and last but not least, have fun! (Cause you'll be paying those school loans soon enough!)

Best,

--JA

Trey Dillen
June 13th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks a lot for the responses CK and Jeff...I have already visited UT but we did a general UT tour, not the RTF tour so we really didnt get any questions answered pertaining to the film school, just the overall stuff. Thanks again!

Rik Sanchez
June 13th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hey C.K. welcome to the boards. You are gonna like it here, lots of info and some of the best people around.

Jeff, glad to see another El Pasoan on here, I'm also from there, what I wouldn't give for some Chico's Tacos. First time I have heard someone refer to ELP as The Pass.

With so many Texans on this forum the little icon next to the website address at the top of the browser ought to be a Texas flag:-)

Greg Boston
June 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Burgers and Shiner Bock across the street on the Drag at Hole In The Wall... sometimes I really miss those days!

Whoa...wha...you mean they had Shiner Bock back then? (hehe)

-gb-

Chris Hurd
June 14th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Well they also had Pearl back in those days... best thing about that beer was its cheap price; a college student could actually afford it. Pearl beer bottles had little graphic puzzles under the bottle caps, such as a house over a stove (home on the range). The more you drank, the tougher the puzzles seemed.

I didn't learn anything "technical" at U.T. that wasn't already obsolete, but they have always had a top-notch faculty, including their graduate student teaching assistants -- as an undergrad I was particularly fond of Jim Wehmeyer and Eithne Johnson. Personally the best thing about film school was that it motivated me to learn, really taught me how to learn. The experience isn't about getting your hands on the gear so much as it is about networking with your fellow colleagues in an academic environment and the relationships you make there.

Jeff Anselmo
June 14th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Hi Rik--

Yeah, I'm trying to start a trend (re: futile!) by calling El Paso, The Pass.

(Just like when people not from Orange County started calling it the OC.)

Wish me luck!

--JA

Malameel Shawky
June 23rd, 2007, 12:13 AM
I am in Dallas as well. Just sending a shout out.
M

Brandon Fisher
June 23rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Here's a howdy from a part of Texas that's NOT Austin or Dallas....howdy from Corpus Christi! I just finished my first film for Corpus's first film festival (that I know of), the Corpus Christi Seven Day film project, screening films next Thursday at House of Rock. If anyone is curious what we've been up to waayyyy down South, stop by on Thursday-Friday, I believe they are screening 28 8-minute films for around a $2 entry fee. Their website is www.corpuschristifilmsociety.com. Take it easy!

Adam Vanderveer
July 22nd, 2007, 12:09 PM
Hey everybody.

My name is Adam, and I'm a 21 year old student. I'm at the lowest level of knowledge in filmmaking you can be, so it has been quite a thrill seeing all that this site has to offer. I've always been addicted to movies, and I've taken a few classes on the 'History of Film' and 'Music in Film'. I'm currently in the process of buying a Canon XL2. I have been saving for it for a while, but recently I was on the Family Feud with my brothers and their wives and we won $42,000, so I can finally buy most of what I need to get started.

I can't wait to learn more and develop friendships on this site.

Rob Lohman
August 5th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Hi Adam, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Is your last name Dutch?

Ryan Paige
August 29th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hey, sorry for the very delayed response. But welcome to the Board from another Metroplexer.

Congrats on the Family Feud win, too.

Martin Catt
August 29th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Close group. I'm in The Colony.

Martin

Zach Stewart
August 29th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Welcome Adam, I'm in Grand Prairie (for non-texans i just say Dallas). Channel 27 no longer airs family fued during my lunch break...but i watched it all the time when it was on. Now its MASH or some stupid court tv drama....bring back family fued and happy days during the lunch hour!!!

Greg Boston
September 3rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
Close group. I'm in The Colony.

Welcome to the forum, Martin! It's getting closer all the time as I'm also in The Colony.

Just a reminder to a new guy, we keep it very friendly and professional here.

-gb-

Martin Catt
September 3rd, 2007, 08:36 PM
Greg:
Noticed you were a "local" when I registered. Thought about saying hi, but figured I'd give it time.

Don't worry, I'm housebroken and well-behaved.

Martin

Matt Sawyers
November 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Shedrick Mask living in Waco, Texas working as a News Photographer for News Channel 25. I have been working here for over a year now and just started buying equipment for my own personal use. I recently brought a HVR-A1 to start practicing shooting in HD. If any of you are near my area let me know there is still a lot stuff I want to learn as far as shooting scenes and would like your expertise.

Thanks

Shedrick

Hey Shedrick,

I live in Waco now. Iam attending Baylor University majoring in Film & Digital Media. If you ever want to talk, let me know!

Corey Williams
December 20th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Allen, TX here, by way of New Orleans. Fellow Metroplexers, check out www.mca-i.org We have a dfw chapter.

John Longoria
December 21st, 2007, 12:39 AM
Greetings from San Antonio! Been a member here for a little while, but lurking for much longer. Have learned a LOT and am greatful for this resource.

Scott Vystrcil
December 21st, 2007, 09:12 AM
I am in McKinney right on the Frisco border. I go to (and work) at a church in Frisco. We really need to have a North Texas Meet-N-Greet sometime in the near future.

Chris Hurd
December 21st, 2007, 09:36 AM
Seems like we'd need at least three meet & greet sessions in Texas... one for D/FW, one for Houston and one for Austintonio. Kind of leaves out West Texas, but that probably doesn't matter since no matter where you live out there, everywhere else is too far to drive anyway.

Matt Sawyers
December 21st, 2007, 09:49 AM
I am about equal distance from all 3 lol

Adam Vanderveer
December 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Wow, so it has been forever since I posted my intro... I'm the guy who was on Family Feud. Long story short, it took 3 months for us to get our check, but we did, so no worries.

I originally wanted to get a Canon XL2, but I recently decided to go with HD, because it just feels like it will be a lot more useful in 5 years than just a simple SD camera. Anyways, I went with a Sony HVR-A1. If anyone has had any bad experiences with this camera, please let me know within the next 30 days ;). So far, I love it.

Seriously, though... I'd be all for a meet and greet. Not a better way of learning (and boy do I need me some learning) than watching seasoned veterans do their thing.

Taky Cheung
December 21st, 2007, 09:27 PM
I went to school in Abilene, TX. It's in the middle of nowhere.

Don't mess with Texans

Jeff Anselmo
December 23rd, 2007, 11:52 PM
Didn't you guys know Texas is a big state :) That's why I stopped driving, and ended up in El Paso.

I guess there's not much love out here in west Texas (this from a boy coming from LA).

Merry Christmas, y'all!

--JA
www.madjavaproductions.com