View Full Version : Hello from Vancouver

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Corey Callahan
July 29th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Hi guys,

I'm from Vancouver as well, I just wanted to throw out a question for you all.

How often do you ever need a live production switcher? Have you ever rented one? What did you get and what did you use it for?

Thanks all!

-Corey

Dan Peruzzo
July 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Hi. My name is dan. 36 & I like to goof around with making small flicks. I found this site 'cause I was having trouble burning a VCD in Premiere 6.5. I'll look thru some threads & see if I can find some answers, If not I'll post a question. Look forward to chatting & sharing info. Cheers...D

Ken Diewert
July 31st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Hey Dan,

Small world (or island). I live in Chemainus. I'm an old fart (43). I'm working on a couple of docs and special interest fishing shows, but always had a thing for the creative side (couple of scripts I'm working on).

If you want, we can hook up sometime and talk film. There's another guy in town who just finished his script and looking to produce locally. Also another guy in Nanaimo doing some snowboarding type stuff.

701-8378

Rob Lohman
July 31st, 2006, 05:42 AM
Hi Dan, welcome aboard (H)DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Ryan Leiderman
August 1st, 2006, 09:44 PM
Hi Vancouverites....

I'm an American that studied culinary arts for a year in your fine city..I'm now in New York and have been doing some TV and Film PA work with a little filming recently. Can anyone give me any advice on trying to break into the industry in Van? I love the city so much and really want to move there. If you can, my Email is R*M*L*E*I*D*E*R@yahoo.com without the *'s.

Evan Digby
August 8th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I'm from Vancouver ;)

Ronald Lee
August 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Hi there!

Is anyone free this weekend? I am doing some video shooting of a martial arts seminar for both mornings and afternoons and would love someone to help. Actually to operate the camera.

The topic of the day is tai chi, and how to push people very far, and how to move people without touching them. Sounds strange I know, but this is all from a martial context.

If you are interested in helping this Saturday and Sunday, August 19 and 20, please email me at eb7g@shaw.caNOSPAM.

Ronald

Eric Gan
September 9th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Hello Vancouver DVinfo'ers,

I have an idea that I thought I'd throw out here. Would anybody be interested in a little Steadicam get-together? By that, I'm including owners of any type of stabilizer - Glidecam, Ind!cam, homemade...whatever.

My idea is this: we each bring 2 tapes with us, and our stabilizer/camera rig. We'll take turns filming a tracking scene, and with the 2nd tape in someone else's camera, you are also being filmed on your technique so that you can watch yourself afterwards. That will really allow us to see what we need to work on in terms of technique. We'll use a clapper board so we can sync it up easily in post.

I'd like to try this before it gets too cold outside (which means soon!). If you're interested, send me an email - ericgan at gmail dot com. Let me know what you'll be flying. We need 3 people minimum, but it would be a lot more fun if we can get 5 or 6 to come out. That way, we can setup more complicated shots. Or I suppose we can always bring some actors.

My setup is Glidecam 2000/Smooth Shooter/FX1. This could also be a good opportunity to try out other stabilizers other than your own - if the owners don't mind, of course.

Ronald Lee
September 12th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Hi Eric,

This sounds interesting. I'm into it. I have a PDX10 with a Steadicam Merlin.

audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM

Ronald Lee
October 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Hi there,

I am looking for help in two things this weekend in Vancouver.

1) I have about 8-10 miniDV tapes that I would like to be duplicated. I give you the tapes and you make copies and give them back to me. This is paid, to be discussed.

2) I also need someone to do a day of shooting (preferrably on a Sony miniDV/DVCAM camera), on Saturday. Perhaps for more days. This is paid as well.

If you can help, please call me at 604-781-7093.

Thanks,

Ronald

Shawn Anderson
October 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Hey all, Just moved up from Denver CO, (nice to be out of the high desert...missed the water) and am looking to stay busy, Have a fully tricked JVC HD100U/A with HHD recording, Steadicam, and a one ton truck with Kinos Tungstun HMI Jib and other toys. lookin to stay busy so Im real reasonable. Drop a line anytime, 303-875-1177 or just email to say hi! reel and eqipment list on my site www.andersonlivemedia.com

Stephen Peszel
January 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
Recently joined DVI, found it very useful already, just bought Canon XL2, arm hurts already, trying to figure it all out so I can make the best use of the beast, I want to make my own short aircraft maintenance and operations videos, seemed to be the best way. Oh God what have I done!
Really impressed with the level of support here, really impressed with the XL2, blew us away when we saw the quality of my first "playing", think what I could do if I actually new what I was doing.
Head of Training for the world's biggest helicopter operator - in 34 countries, I need no excuse to go travelling, now I have to figure out how to get the XL2, my 20D, laptop etc etc in the carry on baggage.

Rob Lohman
January 24th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Hi Stephen, welcome aboard DV Info Net, good to have you with us!

Jeremy Clark
March 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM
I'm down here in Seattle, but would love to hook up with fellow videographers for Mt bike shoots in North Shore. Never been there, but I frequent Whistler and will post a short Crankworx '06 vid soon.

Dylan Couper
March 12th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I need no excuse to go travelling, now I have to figure out how to get the XL2, my 20D, laptop etc etc in the carry on baggage.

On one flight, I crammed 2 Canon XL1's and a 10D+ lens into my carry on bag. I just hoped they didn't ask me to pull it out to turn it all on. :)

Anyway, if you need an extra camera on the other side of the world, put me at the top of your list. :)

Kyle Ross
April 13th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I'm taking my first steps into feature length film with a whole bunch of friends, and thought this would be a cool place to be able to ask for advice etc! I've made all sorts of shorts with a cruddy consumer panasonic, which have really taught me an appreciation for proper lighting, a nice story and good cuts, because with picture that bad you're gonna need everything else!

So when I told my friend that it would be cool to make a feature length, he was totally on board. What kind of movie did we want to make? Horror! We've done all sorts of comedies, but horror was what we'd never tried. Funny too, since he loves horror movies. So what's the scariest thing we could think of? Well, zombies. I've always loved those squishy monsters since I first played Resident Evil, and I've finally got a chance to take my own spin on 'em. Furthermore, I've got 30 or so extras waiting to donn their zombie gear.

Now I've just gotta piece together how to make a high quality movie by the time shooting starts late August. My gear so far...

Canon XL2

It's gonna take my former panasonic camcorder cameraman a while to figure this thing out, but we've got three months of test shoots ahead of us, so fingers crossed. The thing that doesn't scare me is lighting. I've got that down pat. The thing that does scare me is audio. I originally thought I'd borrow/lend/rent another XL2, and then use Audio from only one of them. Then I heard I should be using a shotgun mic on a boom. Ok, cool. But THEN I heard that it needs to be wired into a mixer, or something. I always thought I could just wire it into one of the XL2s?

Can't wait to start shooting!

Rob Lohman
April 13th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Hi Kyle, welcome aboard DV Info Net, it's good to have you with us!

Good luck with your movie,

Amish Solanki
October 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Hey peeps,

Old post, but I figured I'd chime in. I'm also from Vancouver (Ditchmond technically).

I've always been interested in the video scene ever since highschool (9 years ago).

Infact, (I'm probably embarrassing myself by posting this, compared to the caliber posted on these forums), but for several years I ran a website (still live) called Goonish.com (http://www.goonish.com) . It was a joint site that I good friend of mine and I (along with a few others) posted several short videos that we put together. Some of the videos were recorded with a Sony Hi8 (ek!), then finally miniDV (canon) and finally a better XL1S.

Editing wasn't our strong point, but we did our best. We still keep the site live, just to have a good laugh every now and then. Have a look thru, and enjoy.

Right now, I finally have a HV20 after my long issue trying to get my HV10 fixed by Future Shop. I'm looking at learning the ins/outs of this camera, and using this camera to record some behind the scene shoots as I shoot wedding photography.

Ronald Lee
October 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Hi there,

Looking for a shooter for Nov 4th afternoon. Please email me and I'll tell you about the gig. If you are interested in learning about dating and seduction, even better.

Thanks.

Saturnin Kondratiew
October 31st, 2007, 09:23 AM
yo yo guys.. hahahaha the crew...

nov 4 u say, i would help u out but i cant make it.

Ronald Lee
December 27th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Hey there, just thought I'd check in and see who is still around.

I may be shooting some for fun projects coming up, early 2008, if anyone would like to come on and help, let me know asap.

I shoot with a PDX10, but would love to shoot with a PD170. Anyone have one? No, haven't needed to make the HD jump yet.

Email me back directly, audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM.

Best,

Ronald

Saturnin Kondratiew
December 27th, 2007, 08:32 PM
i'm always around dude... have a good new year

Ronald Lee
December 27th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Hi Sat! Happy holidays.

Didn't they amputate your leg? With crutches, you are like your own tripod!

heeee

Saturnin Kondratiew
December 27th, 2007, 11:46 PM
i'm 80% done doing my 2nd bike doc.. be out in summer 08

check out trailer

http://youtube.com/watch?v=06i5nBhVqXc

Ronald Lee
February 19th, 2008, 11:55 AM
WTB: any cheap miniDV camcorder to use as a deck

I am looking for a cheap (like $50ish) miniDV camera to use as a deck. I'd prefer Sony, as my tapes were taped on a Sony, but any is fine.

I know that a lot of us here will probably have an old miniDV camcorder that is just sitting around. If you want to sell it, please email me, audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM.

Of course it's gotta be working, with firewire. I am in Vancouver.

Saturnin Kondratiew
February 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM
did u check out cragislist yet? i odnt know if u can get one for 50 bux but i'm sure 150-200 will score u a unit

Ronald Lee
March 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Any shooters with camera in Abbotsford? I am looking for someone on the weekend of March 28-30. email me at audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM if you are there and available.

Saturnin Kondratiew
March 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
ya let me know what u need ron, i should be in town.

cheers
SAT

Matt Pothecary
March 24th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself, I am a 17 year old videographer hailing from Port Coquitlam, which is a suburb of Vancouver. I have been looking at this forum for a while now, there are so many knowledgable people and so much useful information to be found. I finally decided to join myself.

I co-run a wedding videography business, if anyone wants to check it out it is www.stonethrowstudios.ca .

Glad to be a part of this community,

Matt Pothecary

Ronald Lee
March 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Ok, anyone want to help with a shoot this weekend in Abbotsford? Really simple shoot. You bring the camera and I'll supply tapes.

Let me know if you can help, audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM ASAP.

Lorinda Norton
May 25th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Hey Vancouver! Your city gets my vote for having the most bizarre news story of the week:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24799880&GT1=43001

In particular, check out the findings of the U-DUB prof who studies floating objects...

Frank Granovski
May 27th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Either sharks or St. Pauls is dumping their diabetic amputations in English Bay during low tide.

James R. Leong
May 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks Frank! So that's why St.Pauls is so creepy! More theories just in:

1. British Columbians don't like right feet and usually get rid of them.
2. A mad scientist on Bowen Island is cloning right feet for the 2010 Olympics and these feet escaped.
3. Lionsgate is shooting Hostel 5: The Feet. Just free publicity folks!
4. Uwe Boll, Vancouver's greatest moviemaker went bonkers, stopped boxing and started feet chopping!
5. This is X-Files territory. What did you expect?