View Full Version : Hello from Vancouver

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Ronald Lee
March 29th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Dylan, you posted a picture where eveyone looks like sh*t. Haha. I look like I'm constipated, and oboy, look at Keith.

And low light! Shame!!

Keith Loh
March 29th, 2004, 03:07 PM
We all look like zombies.

Frank Granovski
March 29th, 2004, 03:09 PM
I see that my Nikon changed it's name to Canon. :-))

Rob Lohman
March 30th, 2004, 02:21 AM
And I doubt the bag had that print on it either <g> Looks like
you guys had fun!

Vishal Gurung
June 3rd, 2004, 05:28 PM
Hi all

Just wanted to introduce myself as a brand new dvi member. I've just recently stumbled upon this site as i was perusing online and it blew my mind watching some of the videos here and reading the comments made by people. Just spending 20 mins reading i've come to realize there's so MUCH more than i thought i knew and you guys certainly should be commended for sharing that knowledge.

Just a little bit about me, am 28 year old aspiring filmmaker but i currently am running my own video production company (with a partner) and we're just doing promo work right now for our portfolio. Am based in Vancouver B.c and have been doing video for about 3 years now and am totally in love with FCP and Combustion.

Anyways, cheers to everyone and nice 'meeting' yas

Keith Loh
June 3rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
Welcome Vancouverite!

Vishal Gurung
June 3rd, 2004, 05:32 PM
lol geez that was quick, thanks!

Rob Lohman
June 4th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Welcome aboard Vishal! Good to have you with us.

Ruchika Tekkeveetil
June 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Hi- My name is Ruchika Tekkeveetil. I produce video - camera and editing as a freelancer- I am looking to network with likeminded people in multimedia and maybe find someone I can work with.

I have graduated with a Diploma in Multimedia from the Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand.

I am highly advanced with programmes including Adobe Photoshop, Premier Pro, Director, Premier, After Effects and Dream weaver. I have experience as a reporter for the television series “Living on the Edge”, which won the prestigious Panda Award in 1996. The Panda award is the highest award for an environmental series worldwide.

Thanks,

Please contact me on ruchikaallen37@hotmail.com

Bankim Jain
June 5th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Hi There Vishal ... R u Indian ?

Vishal Gurung
June 5th, 2004, 12:17 AM
nopes... Half Nepalese/Half Chinese all canadian hehe... hence the name Vishal.. i get that all the time believe u mean.. i just look like a really dark asian dude *grin*

Bankim Jain
June 5th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Hey Vishal,

Just to correct ya a lill bit abt the Asian Dudes...all are not dark as you might think so... ;o)

Anyways cool to have as a new board member hope to see you more than just ofen and putting ur querries and posig your replies ... apart from this intro duction page ;o)

CU !

Liviu Pasare
July 12th, 2004, 10:56 AM
dang! i have the same camera, a mx2500 i bought off ebay. i have been trying to babelfish the pdf manual, but it's a horrendous work. i got through about 1/5 of it but so far it's mostly trivial stuff. i have yet to get to the menus and the good stuf, that, unless you are kind enough to direct me on how to get my hands on a already translated manual of the same or equvalent camera.
thankyou
edit

nvr mind. it seems that the PV-DV952 its the us equivalent of the NV-MX2500.

Keith Loh
July 12th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Welcome fellow Vancouverrite.

Michael Moore
July 15th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Welcome aboard,

These guys are the best I you have a questions about anything film related this is the place to ask. I kinda know how you feel "Nobody seems to have the same camera as me" I have a DVC80 and as far as i know i am the only person in Vancouver with one.
welcome again to DVINFO
Michael

Keith Loh
July 15th, 2004, 05:33 PM
But Michael, you are strange.

Corey Cook
August 17th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Ronald!

Would you mind giving me directions to Rearview Hospital? I would like to go and shoot there. I live in the U.S.

Thanks,

Corey C.

Ronald Lee
August 18th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Sure, it's easy. Best case is to get a map, but direction are:

go east on Hwy #1 and take exit 44 (United Blvd) and stay on the right hand side of the fork.

Follow it around to united which will take you quickly to a loop. At the end of the loops is another intersection/traffic light.

You want to take a left hand turn there to get on Hwy 7.

Then it's just a few blocks up on your left hand side. Look for the signs.

Hope you find it.

Dylan Couper
August 23rd, 2004, 07:37 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Corey Cook : Ronald!

Would you mind giving me directions to Rearview Hospital? I would like to go and shoot there. I live in the U.S.

Thanks,

Corey C. -->>>

Corey, do you mean Riverview?
If you are planning on shooting more than some home video footage, make sure you phone and get permission first or security will (very politely) kick your butt out. :)

Corey Cook
August 27th, 2004, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I meant Riverview. I am planning to shoot part of a film there- anywhere that I could find directions? (don't worry, I'll get permission before I go).

Alex Melnikov
August 27th, 2004, 04:28 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Corey Cook : Yeah, I meant Riverview. I am planning to shoot part of a film there- anywhere that I could find directions? (don't worry, I'll get permission before I go). -->>>

If you know the address you can get directions at www.mappoint.com.

Alex Melnikov
December 28th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Bump :)

Thought I'd make an update. Recently bought a JVC GR-HD1 cam. Also built a new computer to be able to handle all the HD resolution so look for my posts with test footage in the near future, hehe

Ronald Lee
December 28th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Why did you go with the JVC? Did you research before you bought it? Not a really good choice today....

Glen Chua
January 12th, 2005, 02:14 AM
New guy here, but I'm from Surrey

Brett Goosen
January 19th, 2005, 01:25 PM
hi guys
would you like to meet us
6 young road empangeni south africa
we have the best beer
no coffee

just kidding

Ozan Biron
January 20th, 2005, 03:13 AM
damn.... i havent posted on this website for awhile!
Im also from vancity... north shore that is!

Keith Loh
January 20th, 2005, 10:46 AM
How's the rain? Is your house sliding down the hillside yet?

Earon Kavanagh
January 21st, 2005, 12:44 PM
I'm on Main and 10th.
Earon

Dan Diaconu
January 30th, 2005, 11:51 AM
North Shore as well.
Who's got pro plans in the camera field?
Let me know, I might be able to help.

www.dandiaconu.com

Lorinda Norton
March 13th, 2005, 08:01 PM
All right. Which one of you told my 20 year-old son that the drinking age in Canada is only nineteen? ; )

He and some college buddies were in Vancouver this weekend for a judo tournament. Last night they sampled the refreshments in several of your bars, with "some Irish pub" voted by the group to be the most fun.

I asked if I can expect more weekend sojourns, but apparently, it's an eight hour drive from their school in North Idaho. So, if any of you were in town last night and saw some unfamiliar-looking rowdy boys, one of them was probably mine. He was so innocent when he left home....

Earon Kavanagh
March 13th, 2005, 08:09 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Lorinda Norton : All right. Which one of you told my 20 year-old son that the drinking age in Canada is only nineteen? ; )

He and some college buddies were in Vancouver this weekend for a judo tournament. Last night they sampled the refreshments in several of your bars, with "some Irish pub" voted by the group to be the most fun.

I asked if I can expect more weekend sojourns, but apparently, it's an eight hour drive from their school in North Idaho. So, if any of you were in town last night and saw some unfamiliar-looking rowdy boys, one of them was probably mine. He was so innocent when he left home.... -->>>
It wasn't me...honest. I used to play in celtic bands in a few irish bare in vancouver. i can't say which pub he was in, but there's a few thhat are a lot of fun on a saturday night.
earon

Shane Ingles
March 14th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Hey there... Im in Vancouver! I also wanted to post about some upcoming opportunities on our production filming April.6-11 and then 14-19 in Vancouver. Were looking for any and everything if your interested. All you need is hands and common sense. so please email shane@1501films.com for info.

Cheers... And here is the original post.

1) Has anyone heard about a seperate focus and/or zoom controller for this beast of a camera? Looking for something so we can use a steady cam and have all the functions in hand.

2) We are a Vancouver based filmmaking commune and are currently in pre-production of our second feature which is a scifi comedy/interactive project. Which will be shot in a Vancouver studio between April. 6~11 and April.14~19.
We are attempting to do some pretty interesting things with this project and are looking for anyone interested in helping out, while also learning at the same.

What were looking for is anyone with the new SONY HD Camera. We are planning to have a couple ourselves but are looking for quite a few for atleast one day, when we are going to attempt an atleast 10 camera BulletTime sequence.

So... If you have one of these new cameras and are looking to test it out with a new and innovative project. Please send a general email to shane@1501films.com and in the meantime please check us out at www.1501films.com and 2 of our other cast/roomates pages at www.dustinladd.com and www.aubreytennant.com and then within the next week or so we should have the actual movie website up at www.labcoatunderground.com

Don't be shy about replying were a bunch of funny and interesting Vancouver residents. So if your interested in this project, please ask any questions you like.

And does anyone know of there being a zoom/focus controller for the SONY DV camera?

Cheers

Lorinda Norton
March 14th, 2005, 10:00 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Earon Kavanagh : It wasn't me...honest. I used to play in celtic bands in a few irish bare in vancouver. i can't say which pub he was in, but there's a few thhat are a lot of fun on a saturday night.
earon -->>>

Okay, Earon; you're off the hook. : )

He said he thinks the pub was Doolin's. Then he rattled off something about Sky and a couple of parrots (??). It sounds like they had a fabulous time!!

Thanks for the reply!

Earon Kavanagh
March 14th, 2005, 11:59 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Lorinda Norton : <<<-- Originally posted by Earon Kavanagh : It wasn't me...honest. I used to play in celtic bands in a few irish bare in vancouver. i can't say which pub he was in, but there's a few thhat are a lot of fun on a saturday night.
earon -->>>

He said he thinks the pub was Doolin's. Then he rattled off something about Sky and a couple of parrots (??). It sounds like they had a fabulous time!!

Thanks for the reply! -->>>

Lorinda,
Doolins is downtown and he'd have a good time there. But a far better time this Yhurdday - Paddy's Day. Tell him you've got spies everywhere :-)
cheers,
earon

Dylan Couper
March 15th, 2005, 12:21 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Lorinda Norton : <<<-- Originally posted by Earon Kavanagh : It wasn't me...honest. I used to play in celtic bands in a few irish bare in vancouver. i can't say which pub he was in, but there's a few thhat are a lot of fun on a saturday night.
earon -->>>

Thanks for the reply! -->>>

Tell him to go to Brandy's next time. It's a great... cough... pub.

As for the other recent posters, there are a lot of us DVinfo members here in Vancity.

Shane, we have specific forums for your questions, please ask them there. You'll get answers.

Maybe it's time for another DVinfo Vancouver meeting. The last one turned out well enough.

Alex Melnikov
March 16th, 2005, 11:17 PM
-->>>

Maybe it's time for another DVinfo Vancouver meeting. The last one turned out well enough. -->>>

Yes, we definitely need another one. Just make sure to plan it a few weeks in advance and remind me a week prior :-)

Dylan Couper
March 17th, 2005, 12:04 PM
ANyone else interested that are reading this thread?

Dan Diaconu
March 17th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Count me in.

Earon Kavanagh
March 17th, 2005, 06:21 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : ANyone else interested that are reading this thread? -->>>

count me in too.
earon

Rob Lohman
March 19th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Can I come too? <g>

Dylan Couper
March 19th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Rob, you make it here and I'll buy the sake.

If we did another meeting, any preferences of location? Sky train accessible?

Dan Diaconu
March 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Anything downtown will be good for all (central). Anytime.

Earon Kavanagh
March 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Diaconu : Anything downtown will be good for all (central). Anytime. -->>>

There's a great place on 7th 1/2 block east of Main - ncalled the Whip. They sell Cloud beer. Very good.
earon

Dan Diaconu
March 19th, 2005, 12:21 PM
OK. If is not too noisy (so we can all talk) Starbucks just as well....Who else is coming and when? A week from today? What time? Others?

Earon Kavanagh
March 19th, 2005, 03:27 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Diaconu : OK. If is not too noisy (so we can all talk) Starbucks just as well....Who else is coming and when? A week from today? What time? Others? -->>>
week from today is goog.
earon

Ronald Lee
March 19th, 2005, 06:10 PM
if you do decide to hold one, please email everyone in this thread individually as well.

Dan Diaconu
March 19th, 2005, 06:18 PM
here here!!!
What time would work for you guys?
Morning, noon, afternoon, eve? should we vote?;-)<

Dylan Couper
March 20th, 2005, 05:48 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Ng : if you do decide to hold one, please email everyone in this thread individually as well. -->>>

Hell No. Do I look like a secretary? :)

You guys pick the time and place, the last time we did it was at a place on Commercial, in the evening. I think the best bet would be to make it a weekday evening after the dinner rush.

Alex Melnikov
March 20th, 2005, 06:16 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : <<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Ng : if you do decide to hold one, please email everyone in this thread individually as well. -->>>

You guys pick the time and place, the last time we did it was at a place on Commercial, in the evening. I think the best bet would be to make it a weekday evening after the dinner rush. -->>>

Evenings sound good to me too (after 5:30pm), I wouldnt mind a downtown location either. I do take a skytrain to and from work, but I am fine if I have to walk a few blocks.

Earon Kavanagh
March 20th, 2005, 08:53 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Melnikov : <<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : <<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Ng : if you do decide to hold one, please email everyone in this thread individually as well. -->>>

You guys pick the time and place, the last time we did it was at a place on Commercial, in the evening. I think the best bet would be to make it a weekday evening after the dinner rush. -->>>

Evenings sound good to me too (after 5:30pm), I wouldnt mind a downtown location either. I do take a skytrain to and from work, but I am fine if I have to walk a few blocks. -->>>

Ok so after 5:30 during the week. that's a start. now where?
earon