View Full Version : Airport security and your XL1

wefdenver
May 6th, 2002, 11:32 AM
I've been hesitant in taking my XL1 along on trips what with all the new security hassels. Has anyone had any problems getting their XL1s though security?

Chris Hurd
May 6th, 2002, 12:05 PM
For me it has not been a problem. On rare occasions you may be asked to power up and record, to prove that it's really a camcorder. So always keep a battery and tape handy. See my recent Kata bag review on the Watchdog for a good carry-on case for the XL1; also CasesPlus makes a nice carry-on hard-shell.

Peter Koller
May 6th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Never. I usually have it in my carry-on baggage and have it sent through X-ray at the security. Thatīs it. Only once the security personnel openend the case to inspect it by hand.

Another issue is customs authorities, I always carry a copy of the receipt of the camera with me, because you might run into trouble when you return home and canīt prove you did not buy it abroad. I know the chances this will happen to you are very, very slim, but it happend to Adrian Douglas and he went through a big hassle because of that. The whole story about it is somewhere on this forum.

Cheers, Peter

ja135321
May 6th, 2002, 10:21 PM
I just flew to Intercontental from Orange County. Heres the scoop. Instead of buying a carry-on case specifically made for the camera, I just used my regular carry-on with wheels. I used egg foam pieces to completely pad the camera, extra lense, videowalkman, batteries, tapes, films. I put it on the conveyor belt and it went thru the xray machine without incident. I was good to go until boarding, they singled me out and searched me again with a metal detecting wand and asked me to open my case. I opened it, the screener barely rifled thru it and said ok. And I just closed the case and got on the plane. On the way back, at the BIG airport, it when thru without incident again and I boarded with such lax security I was concerned for my own safety...haha. Anyway, my camera was fine. I didnt have to power it on or anything for anyone.

Adrian Douglas
May 7th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Not to mention the AUD$1600 I had to pay to the thieving @#%$^$#!.

Steve Nunez
May 12th, 2002, 12:23 PM
At JFK airport in NYC they didn't bother at all with checking- basically if it get's through the X-ray machine OK- you can carry right onboard....

As an interesting sidenote- I was photographing my son at the airport while waiting for our departure flight with a digital camera- and airport security asked to see the photos and made me delete any images which showed any part of the security area- found that a bit strange- but considering our heightened security I guess they have their reasons...

..I'll post my return flight experience from FL when I get back home- let's see how Tampa Intn'l handles my XL1S on return....

Chris Hurd
May 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
This is a nation-wide deal here in the US. Some airports are more clear about it than others... I think it was in Orlando where I saw large signs stating "no photography allowed of any kind."

I think they were very cool in making you delete only those certain shots showing the security areas, and not the entire card.