View Full Version : Any recommendation for this book...

Charles King
December 6th, 2003, 09:59 PM
'Lighting for Digital Video & Television' by John Jackman? Maybe there are better books on lighting. Preferably one with lots of diagrams, pics etc. I always think pics tell a thousand words. Thanks!

Ken Tanaka
December 6th, 2003, 11:16 PM
It's an excellent primer, well worth its modest price. John Jackman is a member and frequent visitor here, so if you have follow-up questions after reading the book he may be able to answer them here (in our "Photo Management" forum).

Charles King
December 7th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Thanks Ken. Does the book offer any pics or diagrams on how to position the lights for the best effect etc?

Aaron Koolen
December 7th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Charles, there are various lighting diagrams in the book explaining the setups to achieve various looks. How to use lights, reflectors, flags etc etc. Along with these are pictures of the results also. There might not be as many as you wish, as the book doesn't tend to have 100 pages on say "lighting a two person scene" but will take you through very practical solutions to problems like:

Lighting interiors of cars, Lighting darkness, a bit on product lighting, setting mood, lighting dark complexions etc. I prefer a book like this as it's very practical and immediately applicable.

Cheers
Aaron

Charles King
December 7th, 2003, 01:31 PM
thanks. I'll go ahead and get it then.

Marco Leavitt
December 7th, 2003, 05:53 PM
I just bought this book and I'm fairly obsessed with it. This book is fantastic. I've been reading non-stop for the last two days.

Barry Gribble
December 7th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Yeah, it is not full of diagrams and it says so, and by the time you are done with it you are glad it wasn't. John touches a lot on very important fundamental issues and answers the questions that you didn't know to ask .... I strongly reccomend it.

Charles King
December 8th, 2003, 02:25 AM
Well it doesn't have to have the entire book filled with diagrams or pics. I just thought it would have some illustrations along with some pics to make things more understandable while reading the text. You must admit, things are so clear when a pic or illustration version is done to show people. I think so. I usually grasp things better this way.

Aaron Koolen
December 8th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Then I think you'll be satisfied with it Charles. It's sort of one of the standard texts that every person and their dog recommend for people new to lighting (Along with audio equivalents like "Producing Great Sound for Digital Video" by Jay Rose).

Is is solid, professional and has wide ranging information. I don't have an extensive library or experience to draw from to say whether it's the best out there or not, but I have found it to be a great source. And I like his writing style ;)

Cheers
Aaron

Charles King
December 8th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Thanks Aaron. I've already made the purchase.