View Full Version : XL1 / XL1S various posts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40

Jon Pavli
November 1st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the words of advise. I have already scoped the place out and I was planning on doing exactly what you suggested. I feel a little more at ease, so thank you for responding so quickly to my post.

cheers, Jon

Doug Bennett
November 9th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Interested to hear your experience with this

thanks

Don Palomaki
November 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I have used it once ot twice on the XL1, gets about a stop brighter, but motion is not as smooth. I did not care for the effect, and I do not use it anymore for what I shoot.

Waldemar Winkler
November 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I will use 1/30 shutter if there is no other option, like additional lighting. That additional stop of aperture is sometimes necessary. It is way better than pushing gain up to 18db. The result is OK, but I am careful to avoid shooting any fast action, as I find myself limited in post.

Chad Ream
December 8th, 2006, 08:22 AM
This last summer I posted a thread about my first attempt at makeing a no budget music video. (except for my time). I received feedback from forum members, which was appreciated, as well as the band members. The video very well may not get any farther than family and friends, but its a start. Take a look at it and provide any feedback.

www.reamenterprises.com/18Key256WMV.wmv

We used the XL1s as our primary camera, with a GL1 on hand for some additional pick up shots. We did use a light kit and in some shots it is obviously to bright. After the fact we have a field monitor to have on hand.
The sign was fabricated and shot creatively with it posted under the original street sign. Everyone who you see around the fire was friends - which was impressive to see so many people come out and support the band.

Thanks,
Chad

Mark Bournes
December 8th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Chad, it's good, especially for no budget, give yourself a pat on the back. The pacing is really good. You kept it simple and it works well with the song. Good job.

Chris Trainor
January 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
i have an xl1s, and a panasonic SDX900 with footage shot in 50 bit dvc.

my dvc deck is having issues with the firewire port, and not working.

so my question is this...

can i run a bnc out of the SDX into the xl1s, and then thru the xl's firewire straight into my NLE? i want to capture this video via firewire that is working on the xls. but when i put the firewire in, the composite signal disappears.

is there a way to make it just pass thru the xls from the sdx into the nle w/o having to actually record it onto mini dv then dump down?

does this make sense?

thanks!

Chris Trainor
January 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=20972&highlight=firewire+composite

looks like it wont work?

Chris Hurd
January 4th, 2007, 11:12 PM
As that linked thread indicates, there is no pass-through on the XL1S. However, you can record on the XL1S from the analog inputs, and then rewind the tape and play it back out over FireWire.

Michael Sweeney
January 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM
just curious if this beachtek device will work with the xl1s.

DXA-6 Dual Phantom Adapter

Don Palomaki
January 5th, 2007, 05:45 AM
I've not used it, but it looks like is should work.

Waldemar Winkler
January 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Like Don, I have not used this device. However, the connection to the camera is identical to other beachtek products I have seen as well a my Sign Video version, which I have used on my XL1s with no issues.

Don Bazley
January 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
I shot an interview for a documentary yesterday. I've had my XL1 for years but haven't been using it much because it's basically my "play" camera. The only time I've captured with it was systems at work. I now have a new system with the Adobe bundle at home.

I recorded ch. 1 cam mic (for backup) and ch.2 was a wireless via the XLR adaptor. Audio sounded fine in the field. Sounds fine now though phones. The problem is that via the firewire I can only hear the ch. 1 mic. I've played a bit with the monitor button and the audio out via the menu. I've only had a few minutes to look at it and I have to run out right now. I figured I'd post before I come back to look at it more later. Through the phones (using the audio monitor button) I can hear the good ch. 2 audio clearly, I just can't get it to go through the firewire. Any thoughts?

-Don

Waldemar Winkler
January 26th, 2007, 04:56 PM
I don't know Adobe. Use FCP. Nonethless, I believe all good NLE system allow selection of which audio tracks to capture in the project set up menu. Just a thought.

Don Palomaki
January 26th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Sounds like you did 4-channel sound. Many NLE/capture software combinations cannot capture 4-channel sound, only 2 channel.

If that is the case, an dif you do not have a NLE capture program that can deal with 4-channel audio, an option is to capture the Audio 2 channels via analog output form the camcorder.

Some folks use Scanalyzer (I think) to deal with 4-channel sound. You could do a search of the forum for more info.

Scott Lovejoy
January 28th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Hi,

I have an XL1S that I've used a few times, but not very extensively. I had shot a tape in it, and had a few others lying around. Recently, after the camera had sat for a little while, I tried to playback a tape in it. I turned the camera to VCR, like I normally do, and played a bit of the tape, but it was a blue screen. It seemed that the camera couldn't find the scenes I had shot. I went through a few other tapes that had footage on them (that I KNEW had footage), and still nothing. I've seen the tape cleaning suggestion, but could it really be that simple?

Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

Lorinda Norton
January 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Scott,

You won't hurt it by running a head cleaner just to see. If that doesn't help, give Canon a call. :)

Canon Factory Service
Attn: Video Service
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
Tel: 732-521-7007

Scott Fien
January 29th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Here's one for ya: shooting on the XLS and preparing to load raw into the NLE. I remove the tape from the camera, and drop it into our Panasonic Mini DV deck. Video is crystal clear, audio pops with static, almost electronic noise - not at all clear. But hooking up the camera to the deck using component cables, playback through the camera and audio is perfect. What the heck?

Don Palomaki
January 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Error correction in the analog playback/output circuits that is not found on the digital output stream.

G. Scott Roberts
February 3rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hello all, have a new problem/question related to my XL1s... did a shoot today of a live military band playing on a well lit stage. I just got my camera back from Canon so just recorded the hour + on full auto. The stage was very well lit. The problem I had was that even though through the stock color viewfinder the colors looked good, playback on the TV or CPU was very bright. I viewed it through RCA to the TV and the uniforms are darker green (Army) and their heads are lighting up like a lightbulb. Also currently burning to CPU through the firewire and it is the same as the RCA, Bright! I know the video size in viewfinder is a bit smaller than what actually records, but I don't remember the video brightness being so different between the viewfinder and the external playback... any ideas?

Dan Keaton
February 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
I recommend that you connect your XL1s to a field monitor or a TV. Use the RCA or S-Video out if possible.

Turn on the color bars and adjust your field monitor or TV so that the color bars are proper.

Once you have your TV or field monitor properly calibrated, the color bars should look good. There are procedures on the web, search for monitor calibration.

Then adjust your viewfinder, using the colorbars. There are brightness and contrast adjustments underneath the viewfinder, if I remember correctly. There may also be menu items (I don't have a XL1s manual handy, sorry).

Then record a test using both the color bars and live footage. Play it back so see if the levels are correct.

Michael Sweeney
February 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM
i was wondering if anyone here has tried those 35mm lens conversions devices out there. the ones that let you use 35mm lens with your xl and get the shallow depth of field and wide angles.

mike

Ben Winter
February 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM
See the Alternative Imaging forum. (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=70)

Chris J Martin
February 8th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Pal XL1s.
I set the camera up today after about 2 months of not using it.
Preparing to shoot a trailer tomorrow, I took some footage and played it back in VCR mode on my monitor connected to the camera and also via svideo to my TV. There is terrible distortion on the picture. Straight lines (eg a picture frame) are wavy in sections where it looks as if something has cut across it and other images carry a trace or shadow from left to right across the screen. This is not apparent in the EVF viewfinder at the time or in the EVF at playback.
When the camera is connected to the TV via svideo but not recording the fault is also visable.

I am running out of time. Any help as ever, much appreciated
Thankyou
Chris

Chris J Martin
February 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Ok sweat is over !
This was just a problem with the svideo connection.
Captured and viewed with premiere pro all is fine.
Guess i will hook up to monitor using video out rca plug

Ta

Chris

Glen Irvine
February 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Dear Members,

I'm sure this is a fairly simple question for many of you. I'm shooting
a simple documentary on my XL1s. I understand that the color space
the camera shoots in is a prosumer color space and that if the doc was
ever to be broadcast, it would have to be converted to a broadcast color
space ( 4:2:2:? ). Is this conversion a simple process or is it complicated
and expensive. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Regards, glen

Alex Sprinkle
February 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Does anyone know the rate of renting an XL1s for one day? Just the camera (stock).

Richard Alvarez
February 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Price for gear rental, much like anything else, is dependent on location. The price in Houston is different than L.A., or S.F. Why not call the nearest local produciton house, ( or Google them) to find their rates?

Jack Smith
February 26th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I don't know what country your in, NTSC or Pal, but the XL1S does shoot in 4:2:2 in NTSC .I've not had to convert to any other colorspace for broadcast.
Just make sure that it's at "legal" broadcast as per the broadcaster specs.
eg. 7.5 IRE
If your talking about conversion to film, contact the house that you plan on using FIRST.

Charles Culpepper
February 27th, 2007, 11:11 AM
I have a Canon XL1 and a Sony Mini DV player. I'm using a Sony Mini DV tape to record. When recording from XL1 and playing back through my mini DV player as well as one other Mini DV player that I tried, the image is heavily distorted when panning. Playback through from the Canon Xl1 viewfinder looks fine.
So I sent off the camera to Canon to be fixed and they replaced the Drum. I have the camera back now and it's doing the same thing. If I play back from the camera in the viewfinder the image looks fine. If I play back on Final Cut from the camera image looks fine, and if I capture a clip from the camera the image plays fine.
However if I try to do any form of playback from the mini DV player the image is heavily distorted.
One last note, I also have a Sony mini dv camcorder (trv 950). If I record with that on the same tape, and play back on the same mini dv player, the image is fine. The image only distorts when playing video that was captured on the XL1.
I called a video shop where I live and they said the mini dv players were very sensitive, and that the problem was not the tape, but that the Xl1 needed to be aligned.
So I'm a bit perplexed at this point as to send the camera to be repaied again. or not. I don't want to do all the playback from the camera itself. Thanks.

Richard Yamcek
February 27th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Hi,

im very new to this forum so if this is in the wrong place please move it.

Too the point,
i just bought a xl1s and i use magix 10 for editing the quailty looks ok however there is a line that runs across the bottom of the screen that looks out of focus, how should i get rid of this?

Thank you

Waldemar Winkler
February 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
When Canon repairs a camera, it is given a thorough system test. Unless camera behavior is completely outside the rather broad system parameters I feel it would be extremely odd to a camera to still have a malfunction following repair (although that could still be a possibility).

I don't own a SONY mini DV player, but have used a friends on occasion. If I recall correctly, these players are built to read a slightly longer helical scan (DVC-PRO?), but will read Mini-DV. If the player has a defect, then this might point to a problem.

I would give all other componets in your system a thorough check before returning to the camera.

Allan Phan
March 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Hi:

I have a Samson Micro 32 Lavalier Series that I wish to connect it straight to my XL1s. The Samson Mircro 32 lav system has a MINI XLR output so I need to find a MINI XLR female to MINI Stereo male adapter but I can't find it anywhere.

I found a bunch on Markertek but none listed as MINI XLR. From the picture I can't tell whether it is MINI or Regular size of XLR. Can some one kindly point me to the link that offer Female mini XLR to Male Mini Stereo adapter please?

Thanks

Don Palomaki
March 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Sampson offers adapters/cables as accessories. Check their web site for part numbers.

How do you propose to connect it? Via a MA-100 or Beacktek, Studio 1, or Sign Video adapter, to the RCA jacks, or the MIC input jack on the camcorder? BTW: The MIC input jack is for mic-level sources, not for line level.

Be aware that if you connect a balanced source to the mic input jack (the stereo mini-phone jack) with a simple gender-bender adapter, you will end up with equal but out of phase sound on left and right. That can sound funny on a stereo syste, and may result in essentially no sound on simple mono systems. You could go from the Mini 32 unbalanced output directly to the Audio 1 inputs, that should work OK and uses a simpler adapter available at Radio Shack, etc..

Allan Phan
March 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM
thanks, I'll try radio shack

Alex Cory
March 15th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I am wondering what will happen if I record the video for a 2 hour rock concert on an XL1s but record the audio onto a seperate mini disc. When I import them into FCP are they going to be out of synch?

I read about the camera's motors having to be specifically setup so they run at a constant speed....is the XL1s setup this way?

Waldemar Winkler
March 15th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I am wondering what will happen if I record the video for a 2 hour rock concert on an XL1s but record the audio onto a seperate mini disc. When I import them into FCP are they going to be out of synch?

I read about the camera's motors having to be specifically setup so they run at a constant speed....is the XL1s setup this way?

Why not get a line audio feed from the sound board for your XL1s? That would resolve all synch issues. This is, of course, based upon the assumption you can get a line audio feed from the sound board.

Only once did I use a mini disc for audio backup. That was for an approx. one hour Jewish wedding. No issues with audio sync in post. At least none I could identify. Since that event I acquired an iRiver mp3 recorder which is usually attached to the DJ's sound board and allowed to record for 3 or more hours. Again, no issues with audio sync. With the iRiver I always set the sample rate at 48k. I use FCP, by the way.

I think the only reason for variable speed motors on a video camera would apply to those cameras that record directly to an optical disc. Tape cartrige cameras, like those recording to Mini-DV, must have constant speed motors. The tape has to be pulled over the record heads at a constant speed or the spacing of the helical scan would be horribly disrupted and cause an unrepairable loss of syncronization. Years ago some very special 3/4" analog Video players had the ability to adjust playback speed with no loss of synchronization. I don't think that kind of machine is available for mini-DV tape players. I have absolutely no knowledge regarding cameras recording to flash cards.

Vince Halushka
March 16th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Is there a way to check how many hours the heads have?
I have been noticed vertical lines, dropped frames and a few glitches lately. I have been using the tape cleaner but feel it might be time for a canon service and new heads to be safe. The last time I used it the clean heads message came up again.
Where can they be serviced in Canada?
How much for drum and head reoplacement?

Don Palomaki
March 17th, 2007, 07:13 AM
There is no run time/head hours indicator on the XL1s that anyone has ever discovered/reported.

Routine annual servicing is a good idea if you are a heavy/professional user of the camcorder. Casual user can get away with less often

Back of the manual should have the Canon Canada contact information, my XL1 mmanual says ca.. 1-800-828-4040, (same number as USA) and they should be able to give you assistance finding Canon repair/service.

Sam Rosado
March 24th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Hey alex,

What I use is a flash recorder. edirols r9 has not let me down. You can record wav and load into your system via usb. I used to use minidisc but every once in awhile i would find myself importing into my DAW to stretch. The cool thing is that I can import my movie(I use DP5.0) and sync without hassle! the best!

Scott Dreval
April 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I dropped my CA-920 charger and although there is no visible damage to the exterior, it stopped working (doesn't supply any power to camera nor does it charge batteries). It simply makes a faint, high-pitched whining sound. Any ideas on what can be done?

Thanks,

Scott

Don Palomaki
April 20th, 2007, 04:14 AM
Sounds like perhaps a cracked circuit board trace or loose connection. Short of you being a well qualified electronics technician, no suggstions other than to call Canon and find out whether or not it is worth sending in for repair or just buying a new one.

Jeff Mayne
April 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
I am looking to purchase a Video Light for my XL1s for low light interviews... Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Waldemar Winkler
April 22nd, 2007, 05:23 PM
Probably any on camera video will do for a start.

There are three issues, in my opinion.

1st: If the interview is close to you, less than 6', 10 watts of quartz DC light is more than adequate.

2nd: Diffuse the light so it has a softer, and less spectral quality.

3d: Figure out a way to extend the position of the light so it is at least 10" above the lens. Most on-camera light manufacturers seem to think the the camera built-in elevation between lens and shoe mount (abour 3-4 inches) is enough to avoid bright light complaints from subjects. They are dead wrong.

After that it is power supply and convenience of use. I've beenm using my on camera lights for 20 years.

Mark Holland
April 23rd, 2007, 11:05 AM
I am looking to purchase a Video Light for my XL1s for low light interviews... Any suggestions?
Thanks,

You might check into the NRG line. Specifically the Varalux Pro. You can control the intensity from 10 to 100% of capacity, (10 watts to 100 watts with a 100 watt bulb), plus the head tilts up so you can bounce the light and avoid complaints, while diffusing the light. A very versatile light!

Mark

Seth Kanne
May 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
What's the best capture settings for my XL1s footage, shot in frame rate? I'm guessing 23.97? What about advanced pulldown removal? What about 24fps? I'd really appreciate any input.

Jeff Mayne
May 3rd, 2007, 09:27 PM
On the Canon XL1S Watchdog under exploration of new features it states:

EVF Color/Black and White -- according to the XL1S instruction manual, you now have the option of turning off the color information in the EVF, converting it into a black and white LCD display. This is not as good as the more expensive B&W CRT viewfinder, but some shooters may prefer B&W in the LCD display instead of full color

I scanned the manual and cannot figure out how to do this, any ideas?

Adrian J. Hare
May 6th, 2007, 05:55 AM
As I have had this "Clean Heads" come up everyday I use this camera and I have ran a "Panisonic Dry Head cleaning tape" through the camera about 6-7 times and I still seem to get the same message with the same problems as jeff has, I came to wondering if anyone has ever tried cleaning the heads with a damp quewtip and alcohal and had this problem clear up.

I'm running out of ideas and am planing on going to get another head cleaning tape to try, I may also grab the Sony tape and try it. As I see it I'm going to have to send this camera in, so I may as well try to see if I can get another few weeks out of it...

Whats your thoughts on the damp quewtip or is it a bad idea ?

Don Palomaki
May 6th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Wet cleaning carries additional risk. MiniDV video heads are very small compared to VHS, Beta, etc, and a wet process could leave residue or debris/fibers from a poor cleaning swab (and a cotton tipped Q-tip is a very poor head cleaning swab) that might make things worse, which is I suspect why Canon does not recommend it.

If several dry tape cleanings does not help, best to send it to Canon for a servicing. Note: just a thought - have you checked the heads with a new, freshly recorded tape after your cleaning? A tape made just before the cleaning may have had a problem during the record process.

Adrian J. Hare
May 6th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks Don for your feed back,

To answer your question , yes sir I have. I have tried everything possible to clear this up but it has never got any better and seems to be getting worst as time goes on. I'm beginning to get a lot of Blue screen recordings.

I understand the frustration jeff is having as I have lost tons of footage I can not regain.

I'm using the Panasonic Mini DV Professional tapes and as I was told the owner I bought the camera off used Panasonic as well in this camera.

I have to wonder if the cleaning tape i have is a Nil tape, so I'm going to get another today...

Thanks again