View Full Version : XL1 / XL1S various posts

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

Joji Minatogawa
August 26th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks, Jeff, will try out your suggestion with shorter tape. Will also try recording over a section with distortion and see if distortion happens at same spot. If so, then it may be that tape has bad sections, which would be annoying but better than if the camera has some faults.

If any other suggestions for finding out source of problem, would be appreciated.

redcanary3
August 29th, 2002, 01:37 AM
Is there anyway to keep my XL-1 from doing the auto shut off thing after 5 minutes of not recording anything?

Thanks Todd

Chris Hurd
August 29th, 2002, 02:39 AM
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: See the article "XL1 Standby Mode Explained" in the XL1 Articles Menu of my XL1 Watchdog site at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- hope this helps,

August 30th, 2002, 01:22 PM
I don't know how many people watched the MTV Music awards last night but I was captured by the new film kind of look on several of their cameras. Any chance that they might have been using Canon Xl1s for the shots. I sent in a question to MTV asking what camera they used for that show ( hope i get reply back).

Chris Hurd
August 30th, 2002, 02:07 PM
This particular topic is already being discussed elsewhere on the Community forums: please see

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3448

If you have any fruther input, please reply to that thread. I'm locking this one to insure that we're keeping everything in one spot so it's easy to find and read. Hope this helps,

Zac Stein
September 1st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Hey all,

I have been asked to shoot some video for a friends short movie,
Either a sony pdf-150 or Canon XL1s, and i am almost positive it will be the canon will be used.

He wants to do a very rap music clip style effect where there is a very very very apparent distinction of distance to the camera.

I am not refering to a shallow DOF, i mean like in a rap video they are usually dollying accross with a rapper leaning back and forth towards the camera and it is incredibly noticable, the imagine has an almost 3d like quality, but focus looks almost like it is set to infinity.

I assume this is done with extremely wide lenses, but i am not 100% sure how it is done... he is making a sci-fi movie and wants the set to have a very non-flat look and a very apparent depth, some of this will be lighting, but i am sure their are some lense tricks needed too.

kermie

Barry Goyette
September 1st, 2002, 12:38 PM
kermie

I think you are referring to essentially a fisheye lens.....ala the other thread you have going right now....or certainly a superwide solution like the century .3x on the stock xl1s lens.

Barry

Todd Dilley
September 3rd, 2002, 12:37 AM
I was wondering which Firewire cable I need for my Canon XLS-1?
I have heard I need the CV-150F 4-pin to 4-pin to connect from my camera to my computer to edit my movies.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Adrian Douglas
September 3rd, 2002, 01:23 AM
It depends on the connection on your computer. The IEEE1394 connection on your camera is a 4 pin connection, a 6 pin, which is found on most 3rd party capture cards/interface cards is a rectangular USB looking connection that is rounded on one end.

It's a good idea to have one of each in your production kit as you never know when you migh need to connect to one or the other.

Don Berube
September 3rd, 2002, 01:43 AM
I agree with Adrian. Always carry both in your bag. You never know.

- don

John X. DeMaio
September 5th, 2002, 06:18 PM
I need to send my camera back to Canon because it has a great time eating tapes when I try to rewind them with the tape heads disengaged - one of the scariest days of my life - but on to my question:
Where do I get the number for the Owners Club Hotline? I have a membership number that I got from Canon when I asked about sending the camera back but I can't find the number anywhere. Any ideas??

JXD

Jeff Donald
September 5th, 2002, 08:02 PM
I'd contact the New Jersey Service Center. The address and numbers are listed on the watchdog under XL1 Skinny http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm lube, Oil Service. Good luck.

Jeff

SammyLeopold
September 13th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Hello All,

First of all a big "Thank You" to whoever suggested to me check out Storm cases. I just got it and boy is it beautiful!!!! Which brings me to my next dilema, how do you suggest I go about cutting the foam inserts that came with the case? Is there a special tool I should get or will a plain old x-acto do it? Also how do you suggest drawing the pattern for the camera? Should I just place the camera on the foam and trace around it with a sharpie? Are there any other suggestions you all can offer!

Thanks!
-SL

Jeff Donald
September 13th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Hi,

I am glad you found a good quality hard case that suits your needs. This is almost embarrasing to admit but after 20 some years i have finally found a way to cut open cell foam. I've tried x-acto knives, razor knives, razor blades, wetting the foam and freezing, you name it, I tried it. I also butchered alot of foam rubber. So what have I discovered? Steak knives. The serrated edge and the back and forth sawing motion goes right through foam rubber. It works.

I trace the outline onto the foam with a marker. Try to keep the outline tight. You can always cut a little more off, but it's real hard to glue foam.

Jeff

Travelreview
September 15th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Sorry about adding yet another thread on this subject, but previous postings have not really answered the question.

Is there anyone out-there using an XL1s and a Glidecam 4000Pro with the bodypod and/or the armbrace attached. Is it a good solution to tracking, simulated dolly shots, and extended use in the field (30 t0 45 minutes straight).

I realize it is not a Steadicam, but with the armbrace and bodypod will it still be too unweildy and heavy for these extended periods of time.
RON
TravelReview@Hotmail.com

Rob Lohman
September 16th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Great suggestions Jeff, thanks!

Dean Sensui
September 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM
I've worn a V-16 for up to an hour without passing out.

Of course I'm perspiring like a horse and end up standing with a definite backward lean at the end of the day.

Glidecams, or even Steadycams, don't work well in crowded, narrow places where the sled or support system gets bumped. So that would be something you'd have to take into consideration.

Also, be aware of the weight limitations. If you're using an XL1 without a wide angle adapter or wireless mic receivers then you can probably use the 4000. Be aware that it's limited to 10 pounds. My XL1, when fitted with a Century Wide Angle adapter and Lectrosonic receivers, weighs in at 13 pounds.

Jason D. Moore
September 16th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Hey everyone, I'm looking into purchasing an XL1s and am interested in some low light footage if anyone has any. I've seen a lot of stills, but no actual footage. Can someone please contact me if they have some? Thanks

Moore

Stembridge
September 17th, 2002, 06:06 AM
I mentioned this in a previous post; but thought I'd list as separate post.

is there a good solar charging pac for the BP series batteries for XL1s?

Thanks!
David

Jeff Donald
September 17th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Hi,

I found this at the NRG Research site http://www.nrgresearch.com/prod.php3?var=00690P I don't know of any other chargers, maybe someone else does. Have you searched google?

Jeff

Chris Simmons
September 19th, 2002, 01:12 PM
How do I eliminate or reduce the hum that I am getting when recording to VCR using the AV wires provided with the XL1s? It's really loud.

Thanks.

Art Conway
September 19th, 2002, 05:35 PM
I own a Canon XL-1 (NTSC) and I'm shooting a project with it in the next month or two around the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I aiming to try my XL-1 out with different lenses and attachments available.

Does anybody know of any rental place that might have any of the list below:

- Canon 3x XL lens
- Century Optics .6x wide angle adapter
- Century Optics .7x wide angle adapter
- Century Optics 1.6x tele-converter

or a 16:9 lens adapter

I tried looking but there isn't much out there.

Also, if anybody knows of any good Austin places, then that would be fine cause it could be worth the 3+ hour drive.

- Art
artman009@hotmail.com

Vic Owen
September 19th, 2002, 08:34 PM
That's pretty unusual. I'd first try a different cable -- you might have a broken ground connection.

If that doesn't work, try isolating the VCR from ground (use a 3-prong adapter without the wire connected to anything.

If that doesn't work, connect a separate ground wire from the frames of both the VCR and the camera.

If that doesn't work, try running the camera on battery only.

If that doesn't work, just nuke the whole setup!

Brad Herbert
September 20th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Try www.mpsfilm.com They are located in Dallas off of Regal Row and 183. I know they have an XL1 and P+S Mini 35 Adapter for rent, so there is a good chance that they might have the other accessories from Century Optics for Rent. They have tons of stuff, and a large studio you can rent oo.

I don't know if they make 16:9 Anamorphic Adapter for the Canon XL1 Series.. I think companies (Optek and Century Optics) are in the works on making one, but haven't released on yet..

What kind of shooting / work do you do? I live in the Dallas area, and am always curious what my neighbors are up to.

later.

-Brad

Dylan Couper
September 20th, 2002, 11:57 PM
How far can you run a non-XLR (is it un-shielded or un-balanced?) microphone wire, before having to worry about any sound loss/interferance/other problems? Assuming I don't run that wire past any live extension cords or anything.

I have a Sennheiser MKE300 which is has a mini-plug jack. I'd like to put it out on a boom and get it off my camera.

Don Palomaki
September 21st, 2002, 06:45 AM
With low impeance mics it depends on how electrically noisy the environment is, the quality of your cables, and how demanding you are. You might be able to go many 10s of feet with acceptable results, or a few feet may be too far.

With high impecdance mics high frequency loss becomes a real isseu above around 15 feet or so.

Note that you could put an unbalancd- to-balanced transformar at the mic, run you cables, then a balancd to unbalanced at the other end again. For best results use transformers around 600-to-600 ohms that are designed for audio.

Robert Knecht Schmidt
September 21st, 2002, 09:26 PM
See, I've got this problem.

I have a hole, the size of a doorknob hole in a door, that I'd like to fit an XLR cable through. The cable itself will fit, no problem. It's getting either end of the cable through that's the tough part. The XLR connectors are just a bit too thick.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Jeff Donald
September 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM
Is this a permanent or temporary installation? If it is permanent, just desoldier one end and then feed the cable, re soldier the XLR connection. If it's temp. just splice it. Wires are color coded so just match them up and tape away.

Jeff

ismertrobert
September 23rd, 2002, 11:49 AM
HI.

I can't hook a tv directly to my PC. I am using Adobe Premiere and I would like to preview my movie on a regular tv. Is there a way to play the PC video through the xl1s and onto a tv?

thanks for any help.

Edward Troxel
September 23rd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Yes. Put the XL-1 in VCR mode, connect the XL-1 to the computer via firewire, and connect the XL-1 to the TV using the RCA connections. This will allow you to view what is coming over the firewire on the TV. NOTE: The sound will still come through the computer speakers.

Edward Troxel
September 23rd, 2002, 02:47 PM
Make the hole a little bigger?

Chris Simmons
September 23rd, 2002, 04:23 PM
You will have to press play in the premiere window to activate the program to output through the camera to the tv. If you apply effects you will have to render them or press <alt> + left mouse click on time line where you have effects applied...otherwise, you get a red x on the tv.

William Brunk
September 25th, 2002, 02:04 PM
I have an option to buy a 3 year extended warranty for my XL1s for $486. I assume this is about average for such a warranty. I was wondering what kind of repair bills can be expected for this camera ? The only post I could find was a fellow paid about $1000 for repairing some dead pixels. So far the camera has worked great what little I've used it over the last year so I am on the fence as to what to do.

Chris Hurd
September 25th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Get some more details:

Determine who is going to be performing the service on the camera past the one-year date (Canon provides its own one-year parts and labor, provided you've bought from an authorized Canon dealer).

If you're assured that it's going to Canon service, then you might consider the warranty.

If you're told it's going to Hermline Electronic Repair in Kenosha Falls, Wisconsin (or some similar third-party outfit), then walk away from it.

In the USA, only the Canon service facilities in Irvine, CA and Jamesburg NJ are properly equipped to repair an XL1S. Any service contract not involving Canon directly is worthless.

As an example of an extended warranty that does work very well, is the nationwide retail chain Ultimate Electronics. They interface directly with Canon service for their extended warranty. Hope this helps,

Don Palomaki
September 26th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Extended wararnty is really a pre-paid maintenance agreement rather that a true warranty. Consider it a form of insurance, and like insurance, the seller and the insurance company usually make the money (especially the seller). Most individual buyer net a loss, but the few who have major covered problems may make out. IMHO: In the long haul it is not worth it averaged over many items. It may be worth it if you can afford the price of agreement but would have a problem comming up with the money to pay for a unextected repair, or if know that you are an unlucky soul who routinely has gear fail shortly after going out of warranty.

Chris' make good points. Historically a lot of folks have been left holding worthless agreement certificates when a fly-by-night outfit folded its tent, so research the provider carefully to be sure you are getting an agreement from a company that will be around 3 years from now.

Also, it is three years beyond the end of the Canon warranty? or three years from when you bought the XL1s, meaning effectively only two years? Other factors to consider are turnaround time, loaner gear, pickup and delivery, and arbitration of complaints/disagreements over coverage.

dvmonkey2
September 27th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Ive been looking for some comparisons to the Xl1s. Has anyone worked with this camera before?

Ted Jan
September 27th, 2002, 04:00 PM
the camera hasn't come out yet. It's not due to ship till Oct. 10th.

ScotlandScott
September 28th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Do any of you have any good name XL1 accessory dealers in Scotland or United Kingdom.

Im wanting to buy an attachable viewing monitor for my XL1.
I have noticed the 5" nebtek monitor on this site, but i cant seem to purchase it from a delaer in the UK. Im not too sure if Nebtek will send me one over from the US.

or is there any other good attachable monitors available in the £300-350 mark - around about $500 that i can purchase in the UK

Andrew Leigh
September 29th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Hi Scott,

try John at JMC Video, I think he also does second hand units.

john@jmcvideo.co.uk

Good luck
Andrew

David Phillips
September 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know if there is a UK XL1/s users club yet?

Jeff Donald
September 29th, 2002, 07:12 PM
I don't believe that a club has started yet. Some post here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2948 have some interested owners as well. Sounds like you might have to team up and start one. Good luck.

Jeff

Norman Woo
October 1st, 2002, 11:43 AM
Hi folks

I'm planning to purchase the Azden WMS-PRO to use on my Canon Xl1. I notice that the output plug from the receiver is a miniplug. I have an MA-100 attached on the XL1. Where on the XL1 do I plug this miniplug? Or will I have to purchase a mini-to-XLR converter so that I can use the MA-100? Or a mini-to-RCA and use the RCA jacks on the handle?

Thanks

Ken Tanaka
October 1st, 2002, 12:14 PM
Not being a WMS-PRO user you'll have to take this as somewhat speculative. But if it has a mini plug connection I would think that you would plug it into the Mic port (towards the camera's head) where the standard XL1 mic normally attaches. Note that there are two ports there. One supplies power to the standard mic and the other is a standard mini plug audio connection.

You could also get an RCA adapter to use one of the audio ports on the back of the handle. In general, my philosophy is to use the fewest such adapters as possible to keep the signal as clean as possible.

Don Palomaki
October 1st, 2002, 07:01 PM
Check the specs on the receiver. Some Azdens have balanced output, and if you use a stereo cable to connect the output to a camcorder mic input jack, you will get left and right channel out of phase, a potential problem.

The approach I use is to is to use a RCA-to-Mini phone mono patch cord and connect that directly to the left (or right) channel of Audio 1 input. I can can copy the audio to the right channel in post if I want to.

Josh Bass
October 2nd, 2002, 02:10 PM
I recently imported some footage I'd shot in frame mode into VV3, and noticed that in addition to the black bar in frame mode along the bottom of the screen, there is now an additional one on the top and sides, creating a black frame on the picture.

I looked at some footage shot in regular 60i, and there's a smaller, but still present black bar on the bottom, and on the left side, the very edge looks a little funky, slightly brighter than the rest. Right and top are normal.

What's going on here?

Chris Hurd
October 2nd, 2002, 05:17 PM
This issue is discussed in pages and pages of detail at this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1743

Long story short, the black edges are well outside of the TV-safe area, therefore for most folks it's not a problem. If you're doing video for final viewing on a computer display, then you should crop the image down to the TV-safe area (which is always a good idea regardless).

Much more in the thread linked above. Hope this helps,

Josh Bass
October 2nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks Chris. . .but once again I've must've hit the retard button when I woke up. I somehow adjusted the track motion just enough to create that frame, but not enough so that I knew it wasn't some camera problem. Live and learn all that.

Ed Smith
October 4th, 2002, 09:31 AM
For monitors:

First of try the sponsors of these web pages:

Varizoom now deal in the UK, web: http://www.varizoom.com/uk/index.htm

No luck with them try:

Ntrac, web: http://www.ntrac.co.uk/ - I bought my 5.6inch monitor from them whole pacakage £320 (Monitor, battery, mains, bracket to fit on camera, charger, audio video cable and desk stand)

Or

OpTex: www.optexint.com or www.xl1s.com

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

dvmonkey2
October 4th, 2002, 01:14 PM
I remember seeing a website that showed the differences in lenses, how a 14x looked zoomed out all the way and how a 16x looked and whatnot.

One was a picture of a construction worker on a scaffold I believe

It may have been examples of a wide angle lens comepared to a regular and whatnot.

can somebody help?

Chris Hurd
October 4th, 2002, 01:37 PM
I'm not familiar with the page you're describing.

As previously pointed out, there's no real difference between the 16x auto, 16x manual and 14x manual when they're zoomed all the way out at the wide end. The 35mm equivalent focal length of all three of these is approximately 40mm.

The 3x lens at full wide is equivalent to a 24mm lens in the 35mm photo world.

For more info, see Canon's lens guide page at:

http://www.canondv.com/xl1s/a_lenses.html

Plus my own "Guide to XL Lens Options" in the articles section of the XL1 Watchdog at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Also on the Watchdog is a review of the 3x lens which shows some comparison shots with the standard 16x. Go to the Watchdog > Artcles Menu > Lens & Optics to locate this article.

That's the best example page I know of. If somebody out there has the gear and would like to provide a new set of comparison shots, I'll be happy to add it to the Watchdog.

This is about as full an answer as I know to give you. Hope this helps,