View Full Version : EF Lens adapter / EF Lenses / EOS Lens

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Virginia Benedict
September 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM
With the XL1s:
I use the Canon 100mm f/2.8 EF USM Macro Lens with the EF Adapter.

I like what I capture. Soft on the edges though.

I also like the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo.

What I do not understand is why Canon (has stopped) or does not produce an EF Adapter for the EOS lenses that does not kill the automatic functions of the Camcorder and the lens.

After all this is an extensive and expanding market and these lenses are not inexpensive!!! We are paying for features we cannot use.

With the GL1:

I use the Century Optics 4x and 7x diopters. Seperately and mounted on each other in either configuration.

BTW, if you contact Canon they will send you a booklet called "EF Lenses for EOS Cameras."

It offers really good basic technical feedback on each lens in the EOS Collection.

Gareth Trezise
September 22nd, 2003, 04:13 PM
I am very pleased with the results I get with the 100mm macro lens too.

For other wildlife applications I find the 28-135 lens very good and I also use the 100-400 lens.

I posted a thread earlier on in the year about the 100-400 for a trip out to the Masai Mara, Kenya. I was extremely pleased with my footage and because of all the advice people gave I was aware of the many problems I could/would encounter using this lens and I did encounter them but when the conditions were right the results were stunning!

Century seems to be the favourite choice of most experienced people re close up adapters.

What size subjects do you use the 4x and 7x for Virginia and when using those are you using the standard 16x lens or the full manual one?

Gareth Trezise

Jeff Donald
September 22nd, 2003, 07:02 PM
I think that was an adapter for the XL1 series predecessors (L1, L2). They were Hi8mm and had interchangeable lenses too. None of the optical accessories are interchangeable.

Virginia Benedict
September 23rd, 2003, 06:25 AM
Gareth,

I am assuming that you are using Canon Lenses... However, since many Videographers use several different brands: Can you possible specify exactly what brand/model equipment you are using when referring to it? Thanks.

Century is the favorite of most simply because to my personal experience they are responsive, they give you clear and professional answers. No matter whom you speak to in the company.

They are also a Division of Schneider Optics.

I use the Century Optics 4X & 7X with the GL1. The Canon GL1 does not have exchangeable lens capabilities. It comes with an on camera F/1.6-2.9, 20x power zoom, 4.2-84mm.

Because these Diopters are essentially lens attachments one does not loose any of the features of the lens and camcorder and one can deploy any of its setting combinations.

I use it for Micro Biology and Vegetation in combination with other Cams and lenses.

I also work with telephoto and wide-angle lenses for larger wildlife and scapes.

Gareth Trezise
September 23rd, 2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks.

Apologies, you assume correct though. I am referring to Canon Lenses.

G

Virginia Benedict
September 24th, 2003, 05:58 AM
No apologies required... Thanks for sharing, Gareth.

VB

Jeffrey A. Dear
September 26th, 2003, 05:12 AM
I'm considering purchasing the EF Lens adapter, along with the EF 17-40 mm f/4L USM lens (ultra-wide zoom). I understand that the focal length will increase 7.2X. Won't that affect the degree of wide angle at the most open position, originally 104 degrees, decreasing the width of view?

Thanks,

Jeffrey

Steve Nunez
September 26th, 2003, 08:11 AM
you're definitely not gonna be able to shoot wide- but I did get really nice results with a 50 mm- ...the EF adapter and a decent EOS lens makes for absolutely sharp video- you're in for a treat!

Jeffrey A. Dear
September 26th, 2003, 04:11 PM
What is the widest angle lens possible with the XL1s, the 3x wide angle video lens?

Jeffrey

Adrian Douglas
September 26th, 2003, 10:51 PM
The 3x lens is the widest lens available. If you want wider you can go with a fisheye or a Century Optics (http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/prodv/xl1/xl1.htm)wide angle adapter.

Don Palomaki
September 27th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Keep in mind that the 7.2x focal length change is an approximation based on relative field of view. Just as the 5.5 mm wide position of the standard lens roughly corresponds to a ~40 mm lens on a 35 mm still camera - the 7.2 factor.

When you move the 35 mm still lens to the XL1 you are using the lens on a much smaller image sensor (nominal 1/3" CCD rather than a ~1"x1.5"" frame of film, thus the apparent telephoto (smaller field of view) effect.

Jeffrey A. Dear
September 27th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the great feedback. For now, I'll try the 3x wide angle.

Jeremy Monroe
October 4th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Hi there-

I understand that using eos lenses on the XL1s multiplies the focal length by a factor of 7.2. I'm shopping EOS lenses and I'm wondering if there's a conversion factor (or a guesstimation method) for the closest focusing distance of an EOS lens. I'd also be interested to hear how well focus can be judged through the standard viewfinder. Thanks for your time!

Jeremy

Jeff Donald
October 4th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Minimum focus distance will stay the same. Judging focus is difficult for most people using the standard color view finder. Practice with standard view finder helps, but many users switch to a supplementary LCD or CRT monitor to help judge focus.

Don Palomaki
October 5th, 2003, 08:02 AM
A minor point: the focal length remains the same, but because the CCD is much smaller than a 35mm film frame, the effect on the field of view is as if the focal length was 7.2x longer.

For close focusing (closer than the standard lens) consider a diopter adapter. High quality models avalable from Canon and Century, low cost "close-up" adapters offered by several filter makers.

Jeremy Monroe
October 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the help!

Patrick Falls
December 23rd, 2003, 10:07 AM
are the results and science of theXL EF adaptor combined with 35mm canon
still lens the same as using the mini35 or the augus35 that is now currently in production on this forum

if not, what are the differences?

thanks in advance.

Rob Lohman
December 23rd, 2003, 10:14 AM
No it is not. The difference is, is that the Canon EF adaptor
increases the focal length of the lens 7.2 times (so the lens
"zooms" in much more and is 7.2 times less wide). Because of
this you are also loosing the DOF (Depth Of Field) characterics
of the 35mm lens.

The mini35 (and Agus35) use a glass inbetween the lens and
the camera to capture the full frame and keep the DOF the same.

Patrick Falls
December 23rd, 2003, 07:02 PM
thanks for clearing that up for me Mr. Lohman. i guess i'll be waiting for a commercial version of the Agus35, i can't wait until someone has a good working model that can be used on the xl1.

Rob Lohman
December 24th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Ofcourse there is a commercial version already available: the
mini35. If you want to buy it, it will cost you around $8000
excluding lens(es). Ofcourse it is available in a lot of countries
as a rental unit as well.

Keep in mind that the mini35 or any other unit that will let you
use 35mm lensen will require a very good knowledge of your
camera, shooting experience and knowledge / experience with
35mm lenses. It is much more difficult then a DV lens!!

Patrick Falls
December 24th, 2003, 03:38 PM
i think i'll wait on the augus35 to develop into a more reliable tool.

TingSern Wong
January 31st, 2004, 09:41 AM
I have verified with Canon Singapore that NOT all EF lenses with IS function will work with the XL1 EF adaptor. The lens will work as advertised - you have to use manual focusing, the camera controls the aperature. BUT, if you are thinking about using the IS feature, please double check the proposed lens you have in mind with Canon first ....

I know that the 75-300 EF IS does NOT work with XL1 EF adaptor (just the IS function only).

I am now asking Canon for a list of lenses that the EF IS is functional - still waiting.

TS

TingSern Wong
February 3rd, 2004, 12:49 AM
Just got the last word from Canon Singapore ... NO EF lens with IS function will work on the XL1 with EF adaptor. Be warned.

Adam Clark
February 29th, 2004, 01:03 AM
hi-

i am curious if anyone has worked with the Canon EF to XL-1 Mount that is on www.xl1solutions.com. aside from my xl1s, i have a d60 and i love the idea of being able to use my ef lenses with the xl1s. i have been turned off by the 7.2x thing with the canon eos adapter, but the product on www.xl1solutions.com says:

"The good news is that you do not get a 7x effect, meaning if you have a 100mm lens it gives you 700mm. This adaptor is only 2x or 1.5x, all depends the lens, and therefore a 100mm lens is a 200mm lens."

can someone confirm this? has anyone worked with it? i have done searches on the forums, but i have found only minimal conversation on this product in only one thread... and there seemed to be some argument in the validity of the manufactuers claim.

thank you for any insight.
cheers.
-adam

Jeff Donald
February 29th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Adam, do a search here and you'll find several threads discussing the adapter. This thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11144) will get you started, but you might just want to skip to page 4 and 5. The bottom line is the adapter does not work as many had hoped.

Adam Clark
February 29th, 2004, 11:54 AM
thanks for your response. this was the thread that i mentioned in my post. i had the feeling from the lack of discussion after the axe fell (especially that from the manufacturer) that this was the case.

well...as i have a d60 already and some ef lenses, i may purchase this adapter and quickly test it to see for myself...and if it does not work right, i will send it back. if i do this, i will post images and my experience with the unit.

thanks again jeff. nice wildlife photos by the way. i love the armadillo shot.

Jeff Donald
February 29th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks. Be careful and check the return policy of XL1 Solutions. Some members said they could not get a refund.

Adam C Bowman
March 2nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
I have been considering the ef adapter and eos lens options for a documentary out in Wyoming. And the tests you posted Michael, are exactly what I needed to see to make up my mind. There doesn't seem to be a better bang for your buck way for wildlife video on the xl1! Thanks for taking the time to post.

Mike Francis
May 28th, 2004, 06:18 AM
I have an XL1 video camera & I'd like to buy a 300mm EF lens coupled with my EF lens adapter to shoot distant objects like the full moon.

I was told that the adapter would make the 300mm into a super telephoto, approx. 2100mm because of the conversion from a SLR lens to a video lens.

I also have a 1.6X adapter, so would that give me a 3360mm result???

Thanks for your insight into this. If you've had success, what EF lens would you suggest I look at buying? If you've had problems with this set-up, what should I be concerned about?

Many Thanks!
Mike

Andrew Paul
May 29th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Does anybody know where I can buy an EF adaptor for the XL1S in the UK. Have tried various sercahes but just keep coming back with details on the actual camera.

Thanks

Rob Lohman
May 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM
The best place I know is from OpTex (https://secure.xl1s.com/cgi-bin/shop/commerce.cgi?product=canacc)

Duncan Wilson
June 3rd, 2004, 08:07 AM
Mike

The magnification factor is slightly higher than x7, but your figures are close enough. I use telephoto lenses a great deal using the XL1 and EF adapter, and the results can be outstanding.

I can't afford Canon primes: I use a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO and a Sigma 120-300mm EX f2.8. I haven't owned the latter for very long but so far I like it a lot.

The following points are worth bearing in mind:

1. When using long, heavy lenses, you need to support both the camera and the lens. I use a home-machined long plate.
2. A sturdy tripod / head are mandatory.
3. It takes quite a bit of practise to use such huge lenses - locating the subject in the viewfinder can be difficult (I shoot birds: the moon shouldn't be too troublesome ;-), and panning / pulling focus without introducing camera shake can be tough.
4. Even fairly light winds can shut you down if you cannot shelter your camera.
5. I have had disappointing results with extenders.
6. Buy the best glass you can afford - despite the relatively low resolution of DV, good quality optics allow the XL1 to really shine.
7. Shallow DoF can be an issue.

Cheers

Mike Francis
June 3rd, 2004, 09:08 AM
Thanks Duncan

The info you gave me gives me the confidence I need to explore this option.
With the high magnification, I see why a good support system for the lens & camera is important. I'll give it a try ;)

Mike

Jeff Wros
June 8th, 2004, 12:11 AM
I've had good luck with the 70 -200 and 1.4x EF extender.

Being able to zoom wide(er) helps to find the subject in the frame. The 70-200 non IS model is roughly the same money as the 300mm IS. Both are good optics.

I've also used my 28-70L with the XL-1 and have come away with amazing macros!

Grab a 10D or a used D60 or D30 and you'll have the makings for a fun still photo kit as well.

Enjoy!

Roger Moore
June 9th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Michael, your pictures are a big help because I was confused by the wording on the canon site about the ef adapter:

"EF Adapter
Item Code: 3162A002

The optional EF Adapter fits onto the XL1S allowing use of Canon EOS EF lenses for quality still imaging."

Why on earth would they use the wording "quality still imaging"?

This implies that when the ef lenses are mounted the camera can only function in the still-capture mode.

I have 3 ef lens: 70-200 L IS, 16-35 L, and the 50 1.4... and being able to port them over to video on the XLxx is a major factor in my decision to go canon (I'm waiting for the XL2 before I buy).

Josh Allen
June 9th, 2004, 11:45 PM
Yeah Roger, that wording threw me for a loop as well.

Great pics by the way, Michael. The close up of the duck in particular looks good.

Adam C Bowman
June 16th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I also am using a eos adapter and a 70-350 lens. I have noticed that there is a lot of what looks similar to heat waves on windy days. Looking at the stills posted on this thread, they didnt seem to have them. I wondered if it was due to a completly windless day, or if certain lenses pick that up differently. I doesn't make sense that they would, but it's worth asking about others experiences with the extreme telephoto.
thanx,
adam

Robert Bingham
June 27th, 2004, 09:50 PM
I have a Canon EF 300 2.8 I'd like to play with on the XL1 but have not found a suitable mounting attachment. Is there something on the market that might work?

Mike Francis
June 27th, 2004, 09:58 PM
This is key to good stable images, but I have not heard of any on the market specifically for the XL1. If I come across any info, I'll drop you a note. Please do the same for me if you come across any news on this.

Thanks

Jeff Donald
June 28th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I've had several adapters custom made to support long lenses. I have them machined out of aluminum and usually cost $100 to $200 at a job shop. I may have one of my recent ones available. I had it in the classifieds a long time ago and don't remember if it sold or not. if you're interested, let me know.

Mike Francis
June 28th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Thanks, Jeff

Right now I don't need it, but I'll keep you in mind in the future. You may want to contact Robert (address below) to see if he might want to purchase what you have.

Robert Bingham
http://www.gliderking.com

Thanks again for the info...

Robert Bingham
June 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Jeff, you have email from me. I'm interested!

Chris Powell
July 5th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I'm using the canon 100-400 usm lens amongst others to capture red kites in flight.
A large number of times I find that the image I believed to be crisp is in fact just off and therefore not useable. The colour viewfinder does not give enough information to be accurate.

I've read the report on the black n white viewfinder but before I make a plunge for my wallet I wonder if the 5" LCD viewers such as vari-zooms would give me enough visual info (and save me a packet!).

I'll look forward to your thoughts guys.

Chris Powell
July 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Ok, dumb question!
I've no access to these things and they are are expensive tryouts hence my query.
So I take it that the large LCD viewers are not suitable for focusing and that I'll have to shell out for the viewfinder.

Cheers anyway

Duncan Wilson
July 7th, 2004, 02:04 AM
Hi Chris

How long have you been using your set-up? The reason I ask is that it took me a little while to get the hang of focusing long lenses on the XL1. The colour viewfinder isn't great, but I can live with it.

I assume, perhaps incorrectly since it's Wales we are talking about :), that you generally have plenty of light when shooting flying raptors, and can therefore use a fairly high f-stop. Most of my raptor experience is with Marsh Harriers, and I typically shoot in the f15-22 range even on overcast days. This gives a reasonable DoF, and I can generally get well-focused shots. Obviously, it's more difficult if the birds are relatively close and flying towards the camera.

If your shots are just slightly soft, have you considered the possibility that the problem is with the lens rather than your focusing? I have used the Canon 100-400 very little, but my impression was that beyond 300mm it wasn't pin sharp, especially at wider apertures.

As a final thought, have you tried sharpening your shots in post? I find that slightly soft focus can be dealt with pretty well by good NLEs.

Cheers
Duncan

Chris Powell
July 8th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Hi Duncan

I’ve had the XL1 a couple of years but have gone for the long lenses in the last 12 months as they give me so much more freedom.
I must admit I'm having increasing time gaps between filming, because of the numbers of visitors we are see here this year, so I guess you are saying 'more practice' :)

And, yes, we do have our share of sunshine in Wales..

I also have a 400mm 2.8 that has wonderful light gathering capabilities and a huge focus wheel that runs like silk but it’s so difficult to find the target in the first place it’s hardly used so the 100-400 is the tool of choice.
f15 – 22 is my usual range on this lens.

Rarely do the kites fly directly towards me but their flight has no pattern and as both vertical and horizontal distances open and close with such speed one hand is constantly on the focus.
It’s just that final tweak that is eluding me on so many occasions.

Before the XL1 I was using a Panasonic SVHS and its crt viewfinder – hence the yearning for the clarity.

I took your point on there being a softness to the longer lens so I've
been experimenting with FCpro sharpening tools. I’ve now made a few trial runs and have found they help some of those files I’d previously thought borderline. Until your post I’d not looked at them.

Many thanks

Duncan Wilson
July 9th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Chris

It sounds like you have plenty of experience with the set-up, so you probably have reached the limits of the colour viewfinder. I'm guessing that the 400mm lens you have is high quality given the f2.8, so I doubt it would be soft even wide open.

I must admit that I have been tempted by the B&W viewfinder but, as you say, it's not exactly cheap - in relation to the cost of the camera, at least. If you do take the plunge, I'd be very interested to learn how you get on with it.

I bet the Kites are pretty challenging subjects on the wing - presumably you are able to video them on the deck if you have a feeding station?

Cheers

Duncan

Jacques Mersereau
July 9th, 2004, 02:46 PM
I too would like to own the CRT viewfinder. It is difficult to *know* you are in
exact focus with the regular viewfinder. One trick is to over expose
and use the zebra to help get closer, but at the end of the day you can
still be a tiny bit off on some shots and not know it.

LCDs are not usually dense enough to be much better IMO. Most of
the cheap ones have no more lines of resolution than the color viewfinder.

Funny thing, have you tried to get focus on your old 16X lately?

The last time I used the 16X lens I swear EVERYTHING was out of focus.
Even auto focus didn't (seem to) work.
The deal was I'd become SO spoiled by the
far sharper image provided by Canon 35mm glass and couldn't go back.

Chris Powell
July 9th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Duncan

That Canon 2.8 is a fantastic piece of glass but fixed at the equivalent of 2880mm on the camera it's not that useful when looking for the target
With regard the kites – they stoop and grab at xx mph much like ospreys but without the pause! The only ones to land are those we've rehabilitated but they’ve got large tags and have not taught the others this habit.
I’ve a few short QT movies on my site http://tinyurl.com/2txt3

Jacques

Although the 16x was fine on stationary objects too many times it either went hunting in auto or else in manual that continuous focus wheel was no asset at the range I was operating.
I now stand much further away from the action and with these longer lenses I'm at least able to follow them in some shape!

Thinking hard about that viewfinder - shame, but I've not found anyone in the UK willing to hire one out for a trial run.

Cheers

Chris Gaston
August 17th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Has anyone used the Canon EF 100-400 Zoom lense with their XL1? I checked this out at a local dealer and it appears to give excellent results. However, as it is over £1100 worth of lense, any comments would be appreciated prior to buying. My interst is wildlife and, in particular, eagles, hawks etc..