View Full Version : How to recuperate lost clips on an SxS card

Francois Dormoy
January 3rd, 2009, 04:34 PM
I transferred the full contents of a 8 Gb Sony SxS card into my hard drive without checking the files, since this process is done frequently with no problem. And I then erased the contents of the card using the Erase command from the Sony EX1 camera.
But I realised that the contents of the directory on the hard drive had only a couple of clips.
Now that I have already erased the contents of the card, is there a way to "undo" or re3cuperate the clips I erased too hastily?

Tuomas Sebastien
January 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
I once was able to return lost photos after accidentaly deletion from CF card with some undelete program I had simply googled to find. So the data probably is still there. You shouldn't record anything to that card before attempting to restore the files.

Francois Dormoy
January 3rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I found the program WinUndelete that I installed, but it did not work for that precise purpose. I cant tell you why.

Andy Nickless
January 4th, 2009, 12:46 AM
I make it a rule to copy my BPAV files to TWO HDs before I erase the SxS cards but of course this may not have helped in your case.

I don't check the transferred files though - never had a problem (Apple Mac).

What's puzzling is how the data was lost in the transfer.

Craig Seeman
January 4th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Did you use ClipBrowser with CRC enabled? That's the safest way.

I'm not sure how you can end up with only a couple of clips (vs corrupted clips) short of interrupting the copying process. Please explain how you copied and what you mean by "a couple of clips." How are you checking this?

Francois Dormoy
January 4th, 2009, 09:11 AM

I'm not sure how you can end up with only a couple of clips (vs corrupted clips) short of interrupting the copying process. Please explain how you copied and what you mean by "a couple of clips." How are you checking this?

I downloaded all the clips into an external hard drive using the XDCAM Clip Browser as I each time. Up to last month, I was regularly checking the imported files that I burned on a DVD before erasing the clips from the file. But this time, I said to myself that since in all occasions (I made so far 45 downloads), I never had a problem, this time I will not really need to check the file and I took the decision to erase them from the card using the ALL Clip Delete function of the camera. BUT !! What never happened to me in the past did happen yesterday!!! and have not yet found the right software to recuperate these lost files.
I cant figure out what really happened. The process may have been interrupted by an unknown event and only the first 3 clips were kept and of them only the first 2 could be read. The third one had a reading error. Frankly, I did not realised if the download process took the same time or was much quicker. My attention was not caught by any unusually short transfer time...

Ola Christoffersson
January 4th, 2009, 09:21 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your lost clips. I too lost some clips in my early days before I figured out reliable routines. This is my workflow.

1. Have enough cards to last all day. SDHC cards with an adapter was the solution for me. This saves you from fiddeling with offloading clips on a shoot which dramatically increases the risk of mistakes.

2. Always transfer the clips to two harddrives before deleting the media off the card.

3. It is not often practical for med to check all shots in the clipbrowser but I at least compare the size and number of files in the BPAV folder after completing the copy. (This step would probably have saved your situation.)

Keith Anderson
January 4th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Is there any benefit to using clip browser for file transfer as opposed to simply dragging and dropping the BPAV folder?

Many Thanks
Keith

Francois Dormoy
January 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Yes, I have learned an important lesson for establishing a rigorous workflow and systematically check all downloaded files before doing any clip delete. Overconfidence can kill your work!!
I found a little bit confusing to keep the files in my cards while using other cards.
Fortunately this did not happen for clips I made on an helicopter ride, but simply family scene at home during XMas. So I can live with this situation and will teach me not to be overconfident...

Alister Chapman
January 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM
If you enable CRC checking clip browser will check that the copy is valid, plus of course you can open the copied clips to check them.

I use shotput as it will copy to multiple destinations at the same time and then check and confirm that the copies are OK.

Francois Dormoy
January 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM

What I normally do is to copy and paste the contents of the BPAV folder to an exsternal drive using Windows Explorer, then I look at the clip using the XDCAM CLipBrowser.
Is it possible to do that using the clipbrowser instead of using Explorer in a safer way?

Craig Seeman
January 4th, 2009, 10:32 AM
NEVER use Windows Explorer to copy clips. That's an accident waiting to happen . . . and that's what happened. These are your MASTERS.

Use ClipBrowser. In ClipBrowser use Copy All. Use CRC as Alister notes to make sure files aren't corrupted.

ClipBrowser is for copying and moving clips. Beginning and end of it. Use nothing else . . . except ShotPut which is also designed for the same purpose.

I can't say this emphatically enough, nothing may happen hundreds of times but it only takes one accident to permanently lose a master, a job, a client, the cost of a reshoot.

You can drive without a seatbelt for years and then one day the accident happens.

Wear your seatbelt, use ClipBrowser (or ShotPut) and NEVER NEVER NEVER drag and drop files using Windows Explorer or Macintosh Finder. Sony warns against it for good reason.

What I normally do is to copy and paste the contents of the BPAV folder to an exsternal drive using Windows Explorer, then I look at the clip using the XDCAM CLipBrowser.
Is it possible to do that using the clipbrowser instead of using Explorer in a safer way?

Ross Herewini
January 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Bonjour Francois,

Here's a post I made on the same problem...

"...I'm sure others know more than me, but I'll throw in a couple of thoughts...

One of my colleagues accidentally deleted a card and he tried a program called "THE UNDELETE" and met with relative success.

I just cleared a card and then recorded 4 clips onto it, copied the clips onto my laptops hard drive, and reformatted the card in the EX1. Checked using the laptop, all the clips were gone.
Downloaded "THE UNDELETE", and pointed it at the SxS card, and it was able to see all the files that were deleted, and some others that were also still on the card.

I checked the directory structure against my copies on the HD and they all lined up.

The next step in the recovery required me to purchase the software... well I'll leave that one to you. Can't guarantee anything, but it looked good to me.

I think these SxS cards are like MiniDisc, the data stays on the card until overwritten, with the TOC ( Table of contents ) the bit that changes. As long as you don't write anything further to the disk you should be ok.

I think."

I would have thought you would be in better shape after deleting the clips rather than by a reformat, as only the TOC has been rewritten, and the actual data has not been written over.

Once you write to the card then the chances of recovering anything useful diminish.

Sean Seah
January 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Try File Scavenger. Works quite well for me.

Paul Newman
January 5th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Undelete doesn't work, I've tested many of these programmes with SXS, they recover the files and trash the mpeg file structure, they are un-playable and un-repairable -so far that is in my tests - the files have damaged atom structure, or missing atoms.

I've had some success though, when testing files on SDHC cards - even more reason to dump SXS!!

Paul

Alister Chapman
January 5th, 2009, 04:07 AM
If the footage is really important contact Sony. They have a data recovery service.

Vaughan Wood
January 5th, 2009, 05:09 PM
That's funny!

When I unfortunately trashed some files and rang up Sony Australia, I was told no such service exists, although there was talk of it on forums when the format first started.

Cheers,

Vaughan

Alister Chapman
January 6th, 2009, 11:02 AM
There is a Sony office in France that is dedicated to data recover and media restoration. It called Sony Professional Media Services I believe. I think there is a similar service in the USA. I know they have recovered data from damaged cards and XDCAM disks. I doubt it's a free service in the case of recovering media from an erased card.

Jay Gladwell
January 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Why does it appear from where I'm sitting that Sony customers in Europe get far better treatment than those of us in the USA? Is it something we said or did?

Alister Chapman
January 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Might be why we pay so much more for the same piece of kit.

Warren Kawamoto
January 6th, 2009, 11:40 AM
How would someone recover data if the same situation happened with an SDHC card? A hard drive recovery service?

Francois Dormoy
January 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM
OK, I thing I am going to give up trying to recuperate these files. First of all I did the wrong transfer process by using Windows Explorer. It worked well until last week. But failed last time with no warning. I have taken good note of what Craig Seeman said.
I was really sad to loose all the clips of my Christmas party.
But this sadness has been offset by the happyness of having found that now I can use 16 Gb SDHC Cards at $30 to replace the $800 SxS Sony cards to save my future clips.

Francois Dormoy
January 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
NEVER use Windows Explorer to copy clips. That's an accident waiting to happen . . . and that's what happened. These are your MASTERS.

Use ClipBrowser. In ClipBrowser use Copy All. Use CRC as Alister notes to make sure files aren't corrupted.

But I cant find how to copy the contents of the SxS card into my laptop. I have the version 2.0 of the XDCAM Clip browser. In the meny, I can specify as you said "Copy all to: " and then I specify the directory in my laptop. Then what should I do after that? I found nothing in the menu bar at the top which guide me on how to retreive these files !!

Craig Seeman
January 17th, 2009, 11:53 PM
In ClipBrowser preferences, you point where the files go. They should be at that location. Once you do that you can point the bottom window (you can actually open several) to that location to confirm their arrival. Of course you need to be careful no to delete from that location.

Federico Lang
June 27th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Go in here Aero Quartet: Video gets Personal on your Mac (http://www.aeroquartet.com/) they have this software called Treasured that can get the files from a formated sxs card or SD card. It's a specialiced software, it costs about $159 but it works, i saved a whole project ($1800 worth) with this guy

Giroud Francois
June 27th, 2010, 08:24 PM
but you can ask
Customer Service Department
ALERT TECHNIK
Clos des Bellevues – Bât B
Avenue du Gros Chêne
95610 ERAGNY
France
Phone: +33 1 34 30 76 40
Fax: +33 1 34 64 45 38
seems they are still working for compact flash
Storage & Recording Media*|* Sony Support Europe (http://support.sony-europe.com/rme/index.aspx?site=odw_en_GB)

Bob Jackson
October 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Go in here Aero Quartet: Video gets Personal on your Mac (http://www.aeroquartet.com/) they have this software called Treasured that can get the files from a formated sxs card or SD card. It's a specialiced software, it costs about $159 but it works, i saved a whole project ($1800 worth) with this guy

Do you buy the app, or do you have to pay per file recovered?

Leonard Levy
October 3rd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I had an error few years ago where a card had been accidentally ejected while still recording. When copied by clip browser, the final clip - 30 min or so never showed up. However the clip was on the card. I also tried copying the card with the finder and found I could open the clip fine with log and transfer in Final Cut Pro.

I posted here and a Sony rep saw the post ,took it very seriously, contacted me to learn the details and then later said the problem was now fixed in an upgraded version.

The entire affair left 2 tastes in my mouth. One I was very impresssed by how Sony handled it, but on the other hand it made me wary of Clip Browser & I always check to make sure all my shots are there. I think the safest routine may be what a friend of mine does. He uses the finder to copy his cards then using Get Info, he double checks the number of bites on the BPAV folders of the original card vs the copy. He says if the bites match exactly - the card is copied exactly. Clip Browser copies won't match exactly though.

What I still like about Clip Browser is still that I can put multiple cards into a single BPAV folder, which simplifies workflow, and it re-links spanned cards from the get-go.

Duplicate hard drive copies before erasing anything of course!!!! ALWAYS!

Lenny Levy