View Full Version : Are rubber feet universal?

Andrew Petrie
August 27th, 2003, 02:28 PM
I can't find any photos to compare with, so maybe you fine folks will know. I'd like to get rubber feet for a tripod (have not got it yet). If I can avoid paying Vinten's crazy $70 price tag for feet, and instead buy a bogen set for $20... I'd really like to, I'm sure everyone would agree. But, I'm not sure if all tripod makers use similar spike designs - is it an industry standard?

Jeff Donald
August 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM
In a few cases the feet from one brand can be adapted to another brand. But as a general rule, they are not interchangeable.

James Hall
August 28th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Between Vintens, Sachtlers, Cartonis, Libecs, etc., about the only thing I've found to be interchangeable is the screws for the tripod plate.

Right now, I have a Cartoni, a Libec, and a Bogen and nothing but the screws can be exchanged. I was hoping to avoid the expense of multiple spreaders, but I was disappointed there too. I also tried the feet, but the threads were different. On pan arms, the tube diameter, and the rosetta were different.

Oh well...I guess they all need the revenue.

JH

Jeff Donald
August 29th, 2003, 03:23 AM
You can't take a wheel off a Chevy and put it on a Ford. Manufactures really don't have a reason to make parts interchangeable.