View Full Version : Helping Hands from 2005

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Brent Marks
January 1st, 2005, 11:41 PM
Hey guys....

I'm a new member to the forum....

But I've been lurking for a while...

I just ordered the new Sony HDV cam... (FX-1)...

If anyone is interested in using/testing the camera....
Let me know

I am located in Houston, TX...

Contact me at resmedia at gmail dot com

Josh Bass
January 2nd, 2005, 09:10 AM
Hi! Welcome to my city, sometimes referred to as Basstown. . .okay, not really. But the welcome still applies.

Joshua Starnes
January 2nd, 2005, 11:43 AM
Welcome to Houston, pal.

Brent Marks
January 2nd, 2005, 05:00 PM
Josh and John.... What kind of work do you guys do here?

thanks!

Josh Bass
January 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM
Not much!

Oh wait. . .I meant to say "videography and stuff." Look to the sig, good sir. Look to the sig.

Brent Marks
January 2nd, 2005, 08:30 PM
Wow.... nice to know someone is making a full-time living in Houston doing small productions!

Kick Butt!

Josh Bass
January 2nd, 2005, 08:54 PM
Whoa whoa. . .where'd you get that? I wish! Not by any means.

Joshua Starnes
January 2nd, 2005, 09:28 PM
And I'm in pretty much the same boat as the other Josh. Some weddings, occasional commercial or music video - and every once and a while a film. And when I can get the scratch together, one of my own projects.

But most of the time I sit on my hands and find other things to do to keep the mortgage paid.

Ronald Lee
January 2nd, 2005, 09:55 PM
HI Gary.

The best thing to do at your level and experience and intereset is to go to the library and get some books, on both film and video producing.

good luck.

Josh Bass
January 2nd, 2005, 10:03 PM
Yeah, bingo. Hopefully things'll pick up, but so far I've only had a handful of gigs. I've even (gasp) started to be a PA on big budget shoots.

Ronald Lee
January 2nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
Hi there!

I may be shooting a ENG/Documentary video in Las Vegas this weekend, so I'm wondering if there is anyone there now who can help with some odds and ends, from helping me buy Sony miniDV tape to renting wireless mics or etc...

OR - If you have an interesting in learning how to meet fabulous hot women, have some equipment, and are free from the 7th to the 9th... let me know asap. I have some video work you may be interested in.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

rOnald
audio90@shaw.caNOSPAM

Brent Marks
January 2nd, 2005, 11:56 PM
Josh... I enjoyed your demo reel, it was very good... We have talked before thru another email I believe...

John... Do you have a demo reel I can look at ?

thanks

Brent Marks
January 3rd, 2005, 12:11 AM
Sorry, I meant Josh and Josh :)

Josh Bass
January 3rd, 2005, 01:02 AM
Ok wait. . .whose reel did you enjoy and whose did you want to look at? I think the guy that's NOT me goes by "Joshua", where as I go by "Josh," "the Bass", "Basshole," or "Daddy."

Brent Marks
January 3rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
Bassman... I saw yours and it looks fantastic!

Great work!!

B

Josh Bass
January 3rd, 2005, 07:36 AM
You can't see it, but I'm blushing and batting my eyes at you.

Bob Costa
January 3rd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Girlz Gone WIld?

Joshua Starnes
January 3rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
I also go by Josh, but Joshua here to cut out confusion. Or Greatest Director on Earth. You know, whatever you want to call me.

I don't have any thing online but e-mail me at jstarnes@houston.rr.com and we can swap address and I'll mail you something.

Josh Brusin
January 3rd, 2005, 10:56 AM
wow... that suburban sasquatch looks like a HOOT!

Mark Argerake
January 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Josh Brusin : wow... that suburban sasquatch looks like a HOOT! -->>>

It's actuaally really good for an indie - personally I like the producers other film too Fungicide. More corny but faster paced - very fun

Ronald Lee
January 3rd, 2005, 04:42 PM
Interesting. I doubt girls would want to expose their chests in the freezing tempertature though.

Has there been a post on the legalities of this type of video?

Brent Marks
January 4th, 2005, 03:39 AM
I'm in Houston, contact me at resmedia at gmail dot com

Michael Gibbons
January 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Ronald Ng : HI Gary.

The best thing to do at your level and experience and intereset is to go to the library and get some books, on both film and video producing.

good luck. -->>>

I disagree with this, but only a little. Go out and make a short short maybe 5-10 minutes. Cut it and watch. After you're done crying, go to the library and get some books on both film and video producing. I really think you'll get more out of your reading after just a little bit of experiance...

Andres Bant
January 6th, 2005, 08:08 PM
are there any websites which have a list of people that you can find depending on their area, that are involved in film / may be willing to help on a film? Or in which I'd be willing to help on their film. Basically a website for people like us to directly contact depending on their skills?

Jamie Walker
January 7th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Hi,

First *I* don't work for IGN, I was just on their website and came across this job offer. I thought some you folks who live in the area <of this job> may be interested. :)

take care

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/577/577547p1.html?fromint=1

Jamie

Samuel Birkan
January 7th, 2005, 10:04 AM
You mean like this !
http://www.mandy.com/

Brandon Murphy
January 7th, 2005, 10:47 AM
mandy.com is a good one. You may also want to check your state or cities local film production office. For instance, Philadelphia's local film office website is www.film.org and has listings for cast,crew, staff positions, interns etc.

Keith Loh
January 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Occasionally craigslist has postings.

http://www.craigslist.org/

Andres Bant
January 8th, 2005, 01:52 AM
wow! those are great, thanks!

Ahmed Malik
January 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
I was going to shoot a feature length film with the help of a cameraman from Staten Island, but with the winter weather he got into an accident that was not his fault at all and his camera was wrecked. Thank god, he is okay. He was very apologetic about the entire.

I wanted to ask if there was anyone here who might be willing to help me out? My e-mail is : ahmedmalik@optonline.net.

I hope there is someone who would be open to this. I'm in a really tight spot. The shooting would be in Dover, NJ. I can send you the script in a heartbeat.

I am willing to give you a producer credit.

Bob Costa
January 9th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Check out this one. Listings by State

http://www.indieclub.com/

You can also check my video index at:

http://www.bobcosta.com/menumap.php?Links=410

Haasim Mahanaim
January 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I'm shooting a candlelight wedding in Toronto, February 2005 and I want to team up with an experienced wedding videographer. This is a paid shoot and I will be editing the video myself. Owning your own equipment would be ideal, but not necessary.

If you're interested, please send me a brief letter outlining your style and experience. If you have an online demo reel, great, otherwise, we can arrange for a meeting.

Jeff Toogood
January 10th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Message sent

Marcin Tyszka
January 11th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Hi guys I'm a film student at Brooklyn College. I was thinking that my choice would be moving back to Europe.. England, Ireland or France......do you think guys I would have some possibilities there to develop my film carrier????? I love US and would like to work here , I was just thinking .. Well please let me know what you think... Thanks

Brad Henkel
January 12th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I have had someone come to me and ask if I can change my terms, and I have agreed. If you do not live here in Colorado you are more than welcome to rent my XL1. Here are the terms I am willing to deal with. You may rent the camera and associated equipment if you send me a cashiers check or money order for the amount covering the cost of my equipment plus the cost of shipping and the amount of time you are scheduled to use my camera. Personal checks will not work for me.

As far as time frame goes, this offer I am making to rent my camera is not for a limited time only. I will be renting out my camera as long as I can find people who can get some good productive use out of it. I rent out on a first come first serve basis. If you have any other ideas please contact me, I am open to reasonable requests.

To view the equipment I have, click the link at the bottom of the page located at... www.photographcolorado.com/xl1/

Paul Pelalas
January 13th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Anybody in Cleveland Ohio renting a Panasonic DVX? Let me know of your rates for camera rental. Thanks

Rusty Williams
January 13th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Hi, Folks...

As some of you may know, having seen other posts of mine on these boards, I am going to be shooting a feature in April.

Due to the fact that the feature is directly based on a short I've already produced, I will be acting in the movie.

Because of this, I'm finding it EXTREMELY difficult to set up all the technical aspects, while also arranging the rest of the prodcution. (Coordinating rehearsals, rewrites, props, etc., and all the while drumming up interest in the piece from my contacts acquired in over 20 years of screenwriting.)

So, what I'm looking to do is to see if I can find someone willing to come in and shoot the movie for me. I will take care of everything from there, but if I can work out a deal with someone to simply get everything on miniDV, that will allow me much more precious time in trying to tie the production together.

I am planning on a 3-camera shoot, with all 3 cameras stationary on tripods. - I know this sounds bizarre, but once you learn the premise of the movie, you'll understand.

The shoot will be one long day. (Tentatively, Saturday April 9th.)

I will be right up front in letting everyone know that I don't have a ton of money, but I will work out finances with someone to the best of my fiscal ability. Of course, if you're driving in from a distance, I will provide a room for the night at a nice little hotel just off exit 28 of the Thruway. (I live nearby, and the shoot is just 10 minutes up the road in a warehouse in Johnstown, NY.)

I do have a very decent number of industry contacts, most of whom have already agreed to watch the trailer, and a few, the entire production.

I will also give full credit to you under whatever heading you prefer (cinematographer, co-producer, etc.)

Most of all, I'm aiming to have this experience be a lot of FUN for everybody. To me, there's nothing better than making movies, and I like the whole process to be a good time for everyone.

If you're even a little interested, please drop me an email, and I'll explain more, as well as send you a copy of the script and the completed short that will be integrated into the final production.

My email is rusty21@nycap.rr.com

Thanks a lot for reading this lengthy (I told you, my background is in screenwriting... and writers are wordy!) post!

-Rusty-

Rusty Williams
January 13th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Oh yea...

I also forgot to add that, if it's something you could use, I will also throw in screenwriting services as part of the exchange.

If your forte is in production, and you're in need of anything scripted, up to and including an entire script of your feature-length premise, I'd be willing to write it for you.

Or, if you have something, and you'd simply like a critique or some help polishing, I would be glad to help out.

Of course, anything I write for you would be yours alone, as part of the return for helping me. I wouldn't require any credits, etc. from the eventual production.

-Rusty-

Norm Li
January 14th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a DVX100 for rental if anyone is interested.

Most rental companies charge about $250CDN/day for the DVX alone but I'm charging $215CDN/day. If you find a different price, I'll guarantee to beat the price of any rental house.

Comes with 3x 10hr batteries, Pelican case, manual, and charger.

One important note, you must provide equipment insurance for the duration of the rental.

If you are interested or if you know anyone who may be interested, feel free to contact me anytime.

Norm Li
nli@q-films.com
604-764-5718

Michael Moore
January 14th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Norm

First I have to say good idea I am sure someone will be interested (I have my camera).

What I really want to know is who did your web site and how much did it cost? I am in the market for a new site big time and I really I mean REALLY liked your site. Please let me know and good luck with the renting.

Michael

Keith Loh
January 14th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Yes, quite a nice Flash site.

Norm Li
January 14th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the compliments.

I actually purchased my website from template-monster.com and then I modified the graphics, text, and frames myself.

They have a huge selection of Flash templates.

Good luck!

Norm

Tom Blair
January 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM
I'm looking for a DV camera shooter to help me as a 2nd or third camera on some unique wrestling production shoots initially in Queens.If you have a good eye and your price is right this could quite probably lead to steady work and extensive travel including internationally (mostly in and around weekends).
You must have a decent Dv camera preferably a Canon XL-2 or Panasonic DVX100a or Sony PD170.
Editing and/or lighting knowledge is a definite plus. My fax is on the mend so you can respond here or just email me with some info at harborimages@optonline.net or at foxcam5@aol.com thanks-Tom

Mitchell Stookey
January 14th, 2005, 06:31 PM
I am new to this site since I am new to the world of owning a quality DV cam. I must say I already love it! The people so willing to help eachother and the community established here are wonderful to see. I feel like I could accomplish anything with my DV, even if I don't know how to do it... yet.

I am a co-founder of a website that we made in hopes of getting people together (similar to this) with the purpose of making little short films and submitting them for everyone to see. It is www.filmforall.com. Anyone is welcome to join. We post projects each month and anyone who wants can participate and then upload their short onto the website. Users (its free) can vote on their favorite and it will be archived to the website. We would like to see it grow because its something we'd like to share with alot of people, so anyone that is interested, has free time, likes making movies, wants practice etc feel free to join. I hope to see some new members from around the world someday!

Mitchell Stookey

Jim Sofranko
January 14th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Tried both emails but they bounced back.

Rhett Allen
January 14th, 2005, 09:40 PM
the domain "optonline.net" is one of the biggest spammers I've ever seen! I blocked them in all of my email accounts. You might want to try a different email handler, they don't inspire much confidence.

Robert Martens
January 14th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Just a quick note, "optonline" is short for "Optimum Online": the ISP end of Cablevision--the cable company here on Long Island--and the only choice I've got for broadband (no DSL at my location, and too many trees for satellite, if I wanted it). It's ridiculously fast, if a bit expensive.

My point being, by blocking that domain, you're blocking an entire ISP's worth of email addresses, not just one email service. If you don't know anyone who uses it, I suppose it's no big deal, but still...

And I suspect the reason your emails bounced back, Jim, is because the "www." should not be at the head of an email address. Try getting rid of those, it might work.

Sorry to clutter the place!

Kevin Gilvear
January 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post but here goes:

I am currently writing a script for a film that will hopefully be between 60 and 75 minutes and I hope to shoot around Summer/Autumn. My main concern at the moment is raising a budget. I can save around £3000.00 I think but I could do with more as a back up. Can anyone give me any advise as to how I can get together some more money for this? Bear in mind that I am an amateur, have no prior films to showcase so in all not a lot going for me, save for an unfinished script. I live in the UK also.

I have contacted several areas I wish to shoot in and have spoken to local councils, I've also contacted an actor to which I received a positive response and likewise a musician. For interior locations I may need to spend the bulk of my budget, it's too hard to say for sure.

I want to raise funds hopefully without going through any film institutes as many seem to be just too awkward and not guaranteed anyway and I still want to keep this as independent as possible. So if anyone has any ideas as to how I can go about this or cut costs altogether then I'd really appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Kev

Jim Sofranko
January 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM
Duh...of course.

Robert, thanks pointing out what I should have noticed.

Tom Blair
January 15th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Sorry folks for not being able to get through on the email addresses.Meanwhile I have a shoot on January 29th and some weekly cable show stuff coming up soon also.
Just post a reply if you're interested.-Tom