View Full Version : Helping Hands from 2005

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Aanarav Sareen
May 10th, 2005, 12:16 PM
but me thinks we'll see your name on the credit roll running a close second to the cast in the near future.

Thank you. Working towards that day my self :D

Charles Papert
May 10th, 2005, 01:51 PM
It's Instant Films time again! Our third anniversary and 18th festival. I'm directing once again, and once again scrapping around for crew! Looking for helping hands of all stripes for this Saturday the 14th, particular if you have sound experience (no mixer--recording straight to camera with a 416 and boompole) and grip/electric, or just interested PA's.

We'll be shooting on the Los Angeles Center Studios lot this time around. As always, there's the bonus of coming the next night (Sunday the 15th) to see the finished results on the big screen with 400 souls in attendance (and there's a party with food and drink afterwards too).

Those who have done it in the past have found it a good experience. If interested, you can email me directly at charles@instantfilms.tv.

Thanks!

Nick Hiltgen
May 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I just want to let everyone know how much fun the instant films shoots are it's a total blast and seeing the things that come out of this in such a short period of time will blow your mind. I would totally help out this week if I wasn't 2300 miles away in Atlanta.

Charles Papert
May 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks Nick!

BTW, "Cry for Help" is finally done...a short version played at Sundance, but the complete version was just buttoned up this week. The "rapture" effects (people disappearing) look great. Have fun in Atlanta!

Robert Knecht Schmidt
May 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM
I'm going to be in town 19th-29th. Anything I can come/do/see on those days?

Charles Papert
May 10th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Not Instant Film-wise, I'll be just about recovered from lack of sleep by then!

If I have any other shoots going in that period, RKS, I'll let you know. What are you in town for?

Robert Knecht Schmidt
May 10th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Not business this time. Pleasure.

Drew Meinecke
May 13th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I'm looking for D.P.'s and editors for a movie that will be filmed in 2006.

Gary Siu
May 13th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Hi. Not sure where this should be directed too? Dylan???
I need someone qualified to fabricate me a voltage regulator (to fit behind an Anton Bauer battery plate) to knock down 14 volts to 12.......... (The battery voltage can be as high as 18 volts coming off the charger, but the camera is only rated at 12 volts +2/-0.5) Any know anybody or themselves that can offer sugesstions or I will pay someone tho do it. Thanks.

Dan Diaconu
May 13th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I can make it tonight, so you can pick it up in the morning.
Better yet, call me 604-780-1818. (you may need an enclosure of some sort to mount it in/on)

Brent Marks
May 15th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Sony HDR-FX1

Dell Dual Xeon, 1terrabyte raid

Hit me up at http://www.resmedia.com/

Adam Rench
May 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM
I'm working on a script at the moment. I'm about halfway done. If anyone wants to help out, I'd love the help. I have all the hardware, software, mics, etc.. to make a feature film and the XL2 to boot.

Just let me know. :)

Sergi Bosch
May 18th, 2005, 09:09 AM
i've also got scripts and equipment. lets get together and discuss. i live in Chicago (bucktown). sergib@earthlink.net

<<I'm working on a script at the moment. I'm about halfway done. If anyone wants to help out, I'd love the help. I have all the hardware, software, mics, etc.. to make a feature film and the XL2 to boot.

Just let me know. :)>>

Gary Franks
May 18th, 2005, 11:01 AM
I am in the early stages of Pre-production for a horror film in the Gaithersburg, MD area. The shoot will be break neck speed over 4 weekends starting in Mid August. the Budget is approx $1,000 to $1500.

I am looking for the following...

Director of Photography
Persons with GL1 or better Cameras (Canon or Sony) to help out as Camera B & C and some 2nd unit stuff.
Someone to help with editing.
Anyone with props suchs as guns, arms, legs etc etc
Make-up Artists
75-100 extra's to be zombies. (bring the rattiest clothes you can find)

As stated the budget is low, however I am trying to work things out to make sure key people involved get some kind of compensation. Even if it is Gas Money.

Food will be provided each night of the shoot. The shoot will begin 2nd weekend in August on a friday night and run until Saturday morning, Break til 4pm Saturday then work from 4pm til sun up sunday morning. That schedule will last 2 weekends at most.

Break for Labor day holiday weekend

Shooting restarts Saturday morning 6am til 8pm then re-starts Sunday 6am til 6pm sunday afternoon. This will go on 2 weekends in a row in september.

a 3rd weekend in September will be reserved for re-shoots.

I am hoping to do something at least Grade B or C level, but most of all I want it to be a fun and open environment. Since this will be my first directing project, with DV no less, I am open to any technical input from those will to lend a hand.

If anyone is interested in jumping on board... please email me at Shufflingzombie@yahoo.com or IM me @ Yahoo Instant Messenger Shufflingzombie is the name.

Thanks for reading!

Gary

Pete Mander
May 18th, 2005, 11:32 AM
To everyone so far who has contacted me .i have had to put my other PC online . but in the meantime have lost all my previous emails up to about 4 days ago now to almost 3 years..

You can email me now at the same adress pmander@cogeco.ca

sorry for the mixup

Pete

Mick Isdes
May 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Hello!
I'm just checking in. I'm located in beautiful Columbia, Mo. The University of Missouri is the center of everything here and on the plus side 10 minutes out of town is some pristine country to shoot.
Thanks,
Mick

Gary McClurg
May 18th, 2005, 02:52 PM
We have some things happening here in Springfield as well.

We have a film festival in October.

We'll be looking for entries.

Plus working on lots of guests as we speak.

Both in front and behind the camera.

Renat Zarbailov
May 18th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Innomind.org is shooting a documentary on Azerbaijan, called "Mountain of God". This project requires traveling to Azerbaijan and staying there for production for two weeks. You must have an HDV camcorder - Sony HVR-Z1. No filming experience necessary, since I am not shooting an ordinary style of documentary. If you want to experience the magic of Azerbaijan and looking for a challenging adventure, willing to be a cameraman, this is your opportunity. Contact Renat at 646.522.8667 to discuss in detail before May 21, as I am researching on the best rates to fly there from NY.

Thanks

Gary Siu
May 18th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Hey Dan, just want to thank you again for helping me out, and starting a new found friendship. You marvel at your talents and I really enjoyed our conversation. The regulator works great, and in the winter I can use it as a hand warmer! HAHA (Just joking Dan.) Thanks again.

Harikrishnan Ponnurangam
May 18th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Good to see you all. Columbia is a nice town with the Univ. If you need any help in Post prod after june 1st week i will be having FCP5 and Shake4 to work with. Please feel free get in touch with me.

harikris@prodigy.net

Dan Diaconu
May 18th, 2005, 05:37 PM
You are welcome Garry,
I am glad I was able to help and the contraption works well. I forgot to take a pic, maybe when and if you have time, you do it. I like to have pics of all "toys" I make. Very nice to meet you too.

Jack Matthews
May 19th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hey Lisa,

You're from England? Cool same here. I really admire your courage and dedication towards this. I myself am from Cambridge, and although i'm not all that experienced in Film (previous experience was with Stage Theatre) if there is any way i can help please do let me know.

Jack Matthews
May 19th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Hey,
I'm Jack, from Cambridge - England, and am very enthusiastic about getting into the film-making industry. I've previously been involved with small scale theatre productions but am now looking to start with amatuer film making. I have an idea, and a very basic script, however i am not the best of writers (English is actually my second language) and was wondering if there was anyone out there who could help me with the writing (or knows someone who could help). Any references or help would be most appreciated. (or anyone who is willing to review my very basic script and offer suggestions).
Thanks

- Jack

Lisa Heard
May 19th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Hey Lisa,

You're from England? Cool same here. I really admire your courage and dedication towards this. I myself am from Cambridge, and although i'm not all that experienced in Film (previous experience was with Stage Theatre) if there is any way i can help please do let me know.

Thanks, what do you do then? Isn't it funny how us Brits have stuck together in this topic?!?

Jack Matthews
May 19th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Thanks, what do you do then? Isn't it funny how us Brits have stuck together in this topic?!?

Yeah. Haha. Well, i'm attempting (this is all future planning as i plan to complete my studies - which will take 1 1/2 more years) to set up a Production company and be a producer. I do wish to get involved in Directing as well. I've posted in another topic about a script i want someone to look over and help me 'flesh out' and expand, or give any form of feedback on.

Edit: feel free to contact me at kitol88@hotmail.com

Keith Loh
May 19th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Is it a feature or a short script? If it is a short script I could look it over.

For basic reference, there are many online sources where you can download scripts to get the formatting down.

http://www.script-o-rama.com/ ('http://www.script-o-rama.com/') for one. (I recommend you look at the .pdf versions of the scripts - NOT transcripts).

Also if you do a search for 'screenplay', 'screenwriting', and any other script related terms on DVInfo, you will come up with a number of other threads started here on this subject.

Lisa Heard
May 19th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I'm really into screenplay writing at the moment. I'll have a look at it tomorrow if you don't mind. Good luck with everything.

Jack Matthews
May 19th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Yeah no problem. Thanks

How am i supposed to get it to you btw? (n email or something?)
Thanks again for the help.

Lisa Heard
May 19th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah email it to me: Leesa2003@hotmail.com

Jack Matthews
May 19th, 2005, 01:27 PM
It is, at the moment, a very short script. A few pages only. I just want someone to look it over and tell me if they idea works and if so how to improve on it before i get help fleshing out the dialogue and getting things done properly.

(How do i get the script sent to people? Email perhaps?)

K. Forman
May 19th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Keith- is the script forum still going?

Keith Loh
May 19th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Jack, you can email me (keithmengweiloh@NOSPAMgmail.com - remove the NOSPAM and it will work). I'm having a slow day so I could even sneak it into work (err.. lunch hour).

Keith, yes the forum is still up. Still private and has three of us exchanging scripts around.

Locally, I also joined two screenwriting groups to expand the range of feedback. Jack, you might consider seeing what kind of groups are available locally for you as well.

Justin Sammarco
May 19th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Gary,

good luck with your film. Sounds exciting.

I'm not in or around that area you are shooting. However, I'd like to help out any way that I can. I do have several people i can contact for you in that immediate area.

i'll forward them your email address.

Justin

I am in the early stages of Pre-production for a horror film in the Gaithersburg, MD area. The shoot will be break neck speed over 4 weekends starting in Mid August. the Budget is approx $1,000 to $1500.

I am looking for the following...

Director of Photography
Persons with GL1 or better Cameras (Canon or Sony) to help out as Camera B & C and some 2nd unit stuff.
Someone to help with editing.
Anyone with props suchs as guns, arms, legs etc etc
Make-up Artists
75-100 extra's to be zombies. (bring the rattiest clothes you can find)

As stated the budget is low, however I am trying to work things out to make sure key people involved get some kind of compensation. Even if it is Gas Money.

Food will be provided each night of the shoot. The shoot will begin 2nd weekend in August on a friday night and run until Saturday morning, Break til 4pm Saturday then work from 4pm til sun up sunday morning. That schedule will last 2 weekends at most.

Break for Labor day holiday weekend

Shooting restarts Saturday morning 6am til 8pm then re-starts Sunday 6am til 6pm sunday afternoon. This will go on 2 weekends in a row in september.

a 3rd weekend in September will be reserved for re-shoots.

I am hoping to do something at least Grade B or C level, but most of all I want it to be a fun and open environment. Since this will be my first directing project, with DV no less, I am open to any technical input from those will to lend a hand.

If anyone is interested in jumping on board... please email me at Shufflingzombie@yahoo.com or IM me @ Yahoo Instant Messenger Shufflingzombie is the name.

Thanks for reading!

Gary

Justin Sammarco
May 19th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Hello Rusty,

i'm not quite sure where Johnstown NY is, but I'm in the Buffalo area if that isn't too far.

Are you still looking for any assistance in your production as far as sound is concerned?

I may not be able to do it myself howver I can definately point you in the right direction if not get someone that will do a great job for you..

let me know

jsammarco@filmboypictures.com

Hi, Folks...

On April 9th, I'm shooting the final footage for my feature "One Last Kill" in Johnstown, NY. Another guy from the boards here, Mike Cavanaugh, is helping me out with the shoot.

Mike and I were discussing technical aspects today. While Mike is much more well-versed than me, neither of us specialize in sound, and that's our main obstacle.

So, I'm coming here to ask if any of you sound guys in the area might be willing to help out my No-Budget production?

I realize I'm offering a helluva deal: A long day for no pay; but I'm hoping someone might be willing to come along for a good time.

Of course, you would get a full screen credit and access to our day's delicious menu (Dunkin' Donuts, Coffee, Sandwiches, etc.). And I would, of course, be glad to return the favor at any time you need. (I shoot with a GL-2, and I have EXTENSIVE background in front of the camera should you need acting talent.)

All we would need is for you to grab the sound for us. The location is a warehouse, and the activity would be in a VERY limited area.

I have very decent industry contacts from many years in screenwriting, so the finished product will have every opportunity to get picked up for distribution at some level.

You can check out the background of the movie at http://www.onelastkill.com

If anyone is interested, please respond here or email me at the address linked to dvinfo.net or at curtis@onelastkill.com

Thanks a lot!

-Rusty-

Rusty Williams
May 20th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Hi, Justin...

Thanks a lot for the offer - I really appreciate it - but we've already wrapped.

-Rusty-

Gary Franks
May 20th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks man... I appreciate it.

I just finished the script... and in 2 weeks I am gonna handle some insert shots on my own... Just stuff to fill in as I go. My buddy and I are gonna handle that.

The time I need the people is for the Big massacre night...Thats when I need the extra's and techs on the spot. I am hoping to get so much stuff done between now and then I can cut the schedule down to 2 weekends.

1 weekend for the action stuff, another for the massacre.

You can also have the email the production email account.

Here is the status on the project:

TITLE: DEADLANDS
Director: Gary Ugarek
Writer: Gary Ugarek
Genre(s) Horror/Action
Sub Genre: Zombie Apocalypse

Cast: Brian Wright, Gary Ugarek, Matt Williams, Matt Blazi, Kevin Wright

Budget: $1500.00 US DOLLARS
Equipment: Canon GL1

Approx Run time: 38 mins (this will be a feature-short)

This will be a gory film... So extra's beware.

deadlandsthemovie@yahoo.com

Patrick Jenkins
May 22nd, 2005, 10:15 PM
Emails sent!

Mike Cavanaugh
May 24th, 2005, 08:04 AM
I need shooters with decent equipment (3-chip cam, lights, lav mics etc.) to do a short interview in the following areas:

Cleveland OH (Cleveland Heights)
Seattle, WA
LA/Burbank area (Sierra Madre, CA)

This is for a 60th anniversary video for a couple whose children are spread throughout the country.

We can offer some modest pay and lots of thanks.

Please contact me via e-mail for details.

Alan Galbraith
May 24th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I'm booked into taping two segments for a pilot I'm putting together here in Nor. Cal, and cant make the trip to Palmdale.

The shoot would be at the Antique Nationals at LA Country RaceWay. Its vintage car and motorcycle races. Think rat rods and rockabilly, and you got the picture. Would need interviews with vehicle owners, B-roll details of vehicles, a short interview with the organizer about the event, footage of the people, the fashion, the racing.

Something I could cut together into a 3-5 minute segment about the event.

Willing to pay, but I aint got alot of $.... as it is for a pilot, and I'm footing the bills personally.

Would NEED to have a lav. mic to hook onto interviewees (the sound from on camera shotguns aint going to cut it at a motorsports event).

3-chip camera required (something like a VX1000 would do in a pinch, but I'd prefer something with a nice peice of glass out front ... ala at least a DV500), MiniDV or DVCAM is fine. 29.97 please.

email - agalbraith@vintageracingnews.com

Rob Lohman
May 25th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Lisa: have you lost track of your "other" thread?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=42784

Yohann Kouam
May 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM
hey,

some of you probably remember me. i posted a thread a couple of months ago to get advice on how to find an internship or job in NYC this summer. i sent a lot of resumes, replied to a lot of adds ans stuff but not ONE single reply. i guess it's just normal since i'm right now in Spain, i can not be interviewed or anything so why should they waste their time. so my plan is to go straight up there and look for a job on the spot. my question now is how risky is that given i intend to show up early july?
am i about to comit suicide??

by the way if anyone is looking for someone in NYC(shooter, FCP editor, colorist, photographer, P.A.,etc...) i'm fully available. here's a link to a divx version of my latest short:
http://www.euromedcafe.org/winner.asp?lang=ing&documentID=219

thanks and take care

Yohann KOUAM

e-mail:digitalfilmmakers@yahoo.fr

Jim Sofranko
May 25th, 2005, 01:28 PM
First, no job is worth suicide...kidding or not.

I'm not certain what level of work you are seeking but here are a few suggestions.

You may want to check into Mandy.com for they always have job listings in NYC especially for low budget, entry level work that may be of interest to you. If you are lookng for someting lucrative you could try to shop your reel around to production compnaies. But be aware that it is very competitiive in NYC and you would be lucky to get an interview much less a good job.

Many companies get slow in August as most people take vacations then. So don't let your expectations get too high. Instead, try to visit NY and get a sense of the business by working on lower paying gigs. That may be a stepping stone to better paying work in the future.

Hope this helps.

John C. Chu
May 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I'm sure you've checked these two websites...but just in case...

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/html/home/reeljobs_download.shtml

And of course...

http://newyork.craigslist.org/

Just watch out for "scammers" on Craiglist though...

Yohann Kouam
May 25th, 2005, 02:41 PM
haha what i meant by comitting suicide is wether i'd go to new-york to find nothing...
and a non paid job will be fine with me, all i search is experience...

thanks for the advice give me some more!

Bruce S. Yarock
May 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
I'm thinking about getting the fu-1000 monochrome viewfinder for my xl2. I was unable to find one to rent and was hoping that some one down here is using one. If so, I'd apprecite checking it out.
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock

You can email me at yarock at aol dot com.

Dietmar Zonewicz
May 25th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Have you ever thought aboout building your own? you only need a old vf from an old betacam and a soldering iron. and of course some skills in elektronics ;)

dietmar

Patrick King
May 25th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Dietmar

Post the schematic and you might be very famous around here!

Don Donatello
May 25th, 2005, 10:11 PM
from my experience based in LA ...
i received many calls from students that went to the same university that i attended ...when i received these calls asking for advice/help i told them all if they came to LA i could give them names , they could come out to what ever set i was working etc .. i have to say that over 15 years of taking 100's of calls not one person that said they were moving to LA that lived outside of LA ever showed up ..

the "film " business is a who you know business = if i need a PA next tuesday i'll ask my current PA's for some names 1st before i go to resumes in a folder ... from the resume i have no idea what you are like ..

so i guessing that because you're in SPAIN is the reson for no response.

IMO take a chance and you show up and take the knocks with the rest of persons here trying to intern/make it. if you do come !! you have to be open ,friendly and willing to introduce yourself to strangers , if somebody gives you a "name & number " do not hesitate -call them ASAP ...

what type of internship are you seeking ?
most interns are just unpaid PA's/runners ..

i just watched your short .. YOU have it !! .. IMO take the $$ you would spend on airflight, rent in NYC and make another movie !! i think you'll get far more out of making another project then taking intern in NYC ..

Bob Costa
May 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM
There are times in our life when we have to just go for it. You are young and have what you need. If you want to work in NYC, you need to be in NYC. If you want to be a filmmaker in NYC, then go do that. Figure out what your resources are, and how long they will last under different scenarios. Figure out what compromises you are willing to make, and when you will make them. Don't work in a burger joint the first week, but after that, it all depends on your resources, commitment, opportunities that you find, etc. Some compromise examples:

1. Working at minimum wage job to pay bills
2. Sharing an apt with 17 other people
3. Taking ANY job in your field, even being the doughnut guy or bicycle delivery guy.
4. Working for free.
5. Working for yourself doing a related field (freelance camera guy, etc)

Your resources include cash, equipment, friends, brains, talent, humility, aggressiveness, perserverance, and more.

Plan plan plan, then take your best shot and go. If you have detailed plan, you can adapt better than if you do not. Best of luck.

Bruce S. Yarock
May 26th, 2005, 02:25 AM
Mike,
Get in touch if you ever need anyting in south Florida.
Bruce Yarock