View Full Version : Helping Hands from 2005

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Rhett Allen
January 16th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Hey Robert, thanks for the heads up on the "optonline" ISP.
For a long time it seemed every piece of spam I got was from somebody@optonline.net so I had to finally block the entire domain. Some ISP's like mine (cox) are very strict about email use. I hope they (optonline) have changed their rules because it isn't very fair to all their users who may now be blocked unknowingly.
Good info to know, thanks. I thought it had something to do with "Opt-online" as in, please spam me.

Ahmed Malik
January 16th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Bump. I freaking desperate at this point. I will also be willing to give a percentage of the profits should there be any.

Gino Do
January 17th, 2005, 12:06 AM
We are shooting a sci-fi short and really need a DP. Everything is set for early February shoot, except for camera. We got access to a DVX100 but we think a FX1 would look better and also it'll be better for green screening. Crew consists of both student and professional level talents. It'll be a high production value and fun project. Let me know if you have a sony FX1 and want to test your cam on our project. I'm alos willing to rent it if you offer a good price.

gino
ginodo@digi-do.com

Henke Holmberg
January 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
PRIMAL MYTH

Sarah's life is shattered when her five year old daughter disappears in the woods. A year later she sees signs that her daughter might be alive - or is Sarah loosing her mind?

Genre: Horror

PRIMAL MYTH - Seeing is believing

The woods hide many secrets...

Some are hidden very deep...

SARAH lives a happy life with her husband, and their five year old daughter ERICA. Life is good. But Sarah's life turns into a nightmare when her daughter disappears in the woods.

A YEAR LATER she sees signs that her daughter might be alive - or is Sarah loosing her mind? When looking at the last photograph taken of Erica - they spot a dark SHAPE behind her in the photo. When she unravels the truth - the ultimate terror is unleashed!

The script is WGA registered, and designed for a small budget - few locations and characters.

If you want to read the script - contact: henke@nocashfilm.com (and I'll email it to you)

Keith Loh
January 17th, 2005, 11:37 AM
//Sarah's life is shattered when her five year old daughter disappears in the woods. A year later she sees signs that her daughter might be alive - or is Sarah loosing her mind? //

LOSING her mind. Not LOOSING.

It's a bad thing to have a typo in your log line.

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 05:26 AM
I can't help you with specifics or how easy it would be to get your
foot in the door, but England seems to be the movie making capital
of Europe I'd say. Lot's of movie work going on there and there are
often Hollywood movies in production there as well.

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 07:40 AM
So if I understand you correctly this is your first movie you are
going to make? In all honousty I would not make such a long
movie as your first one or consider raising money. In my opinion
both things are too high a risk for a first timer (no offense!).

My first movie to this date isn't even finished yet and that was a
short from a couple of minutes. My second movie is finished and
is also a short. From both I've learned so very much and one of
the main things was that it takes a LOT of time for even a short
to happen.

Doing a 60 - 75 minute movie is a MASSIVE undertaking that will
take enormous (think years, especially if it is your first) amounts
of time and usually money.

Why not let this script rest and do a couple of shorts first? This
should greatly help you to:

- try your complete workflow (writing, pre-production, actors/acting, shooting, editing etc.)
- learn what works and doesn't
- hopefully build some good shorts that can inspire people to fund you in the future for your bigger projects
- better estimate what kind of work you are looking at for your large movie both in time, people and money

I'm sorry I can't give you any specific directions for your budget,
but I really thought a strong warning was needed here.

Henke Holmberg
January 18th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks!

Kevin Gilvear
January 18th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks Rob, that's good advice and I could well save me future headaches by keeping it short. The good thing is that my script is still at an early stage and I may be able to work it as a 30 minute film.

Joe Carney
January 18th, 2005, 10:53 AM
France is and always has been a great place to make films. Everything I've heard and read points that out. I'm pretty sure some of our members have actual experience over there. If I could I would move to France for a year or two just to make movies.

But like most of Europe, budgets are usually much smaller than in the US. Even for independents.

There is also a lot of TV being done for both the Euro and International market, so there is more than just features to check out.

Italy is a very political scene, with some strict laws about foreigners making features, but there are a surprising number of expat Americans living and making movies in and around Rome. At least thats what me son told me when he interned under Jon Jost a few years ago.

I know next to nothing about the former east block nations, but hear good things about the Czeck republic and Prague.

Good Luck.

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Even 30 minutes is tough, trust me! But it is a much better goal.
Why not make some different (!) shorts first? Like (kinda) easy
to do things. Just a simple idea like "man sees someone steal
a purse and catches the thief" (lame I know, but you get the idea).

Something you can shoot in a weekend (if all goes well, heh) with
some friends.

Then create a script (either from the one you have now or a new
story) for a 30 minute movie and work your way up.

Better to create 10 short movies (15 minutes or below) then waste
a lot of time and money on 30 min. or longer films (ie, fail).

Lot's to learn!

Take a look at the articles I wrote on my first movie (the writing
isn't too great, but you get the idea):

http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/production/lohman1.php
http://www.dvinfo.net/articles/production/lohman2.php

For my second movie I made even more mistakes (and learned
tons). One of my primary locations was torn down in between
scouting and shooting which completely scrambled with my
shooting schedule (and yes, the movie greatly suffered because
of it).

Check the movie out here: http://www.ladyxfilms.com/theater/e14/episode_14.shtml

You can read at how this was all done and mistakes and so forth
in the following thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14250

I was also an executive producer on the complete series which
limited my time to work on my own episode. This is what I meant
with time, it quickly takes a LOT of time to get everything done.

All the best with your efforts and lets us know how it goes. Would
be great to see your work!

Kevin Gilvear
January 18th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks Rob, I shall read and watch your stuff later tonight I have seen a lot of those Lady X films so it'll be interesting to see which one you did. Funny you should mention cops and robbers stuff and other shorts as I have some already written up but I wanted to shoot them in Japan the next time I'm over. They're only 1 or 2 minute pieces but I think they're funny and one is a little cop sketch. Trouble is I doubt I'll get my XL2 over there. I'll endevour to try though and in the meantime still finish my script as I'm confident in the story.

May I ask how old you are by the way? I'm 27 and I guess I have a strange desire to rush into things and accomplish something.

Rob Lohman
January 19th, 2005, 03:36 AM
Ofcourse you may <g>. I'm just 27 as well, how is that for a
coincidence!? Why do you think your not going to get your XL2
into Japan? I would expect it to go smoothly. Do bring a copy
(or perhaps real, don't know what they want, inform with the
airlines in advance!!) of the receipt when you bought the camera
so they are not going to charge you tax in either Japan or when
you return to the UK.

It sounds like you have some (good) thoughts on some smaller
movies, I'd say go for it!

All the best!

Kevin Gilvear
January 19th, 2005, 06:17 AM
I dunno Rob, maybe because I'm not sure about flying it over in the pelican case and dragging it around with me for two weeks. I would have liked a smaller bag to take onboard with me but can't really afford one and I plan on going around March, though I will try to get a new back by then. The other problem is getting permission to film in Japan, which I've tried to do but Osaka at least want more specifics and they've yet to reply back.

Rusty Williams
January 19th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Hi, Folks...

Just wanted to update everybody:

I spoke with the first guy to respond to my post, and he's decided to come aboard and help me with the project.

I just want to say thanks a lot to everybody who offered to help! It was really great seeing how willing everyone here is to help someone out, even when the money is definitely on the short side.

As we complete the project, I'll post links to clips, trailer, etc. here before anywhere else.

Thanks again!

-Rusty-

Ron Edwards
January 19th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Hi guys,

Would like to find someone that would like to shoot a wedding in Las Vegas. Shoot with 3-chip mini-dv, two manned cams, about one hour total. No editing. I will edit in my studio.

Thanks
Ron

Bob Costa
January 19th, 2005, 10:03 PM
You got dates planned? You might find someone who will do it while on vacation there... I go once in a while...

Christopher C. Murphy
January 20th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Hey everyone!

I've just pre-ordered the infamous HVR-Z1U, so I'll have it in mid-Feb. If any filmmakers are looking to get a short film or feature length done with this camera and wanna bring me on as their DP - please contact me.

I'm available anytime to travel, but I prefer Boston or LA. I will work very cheap and both you and I will be able to try out the latest HDV camera.

Thanks and contact information is on www.willowstudios.com -- let's talk!

Murph

Jacky Schuler
January 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM
the job was removed from mandy.com is it still available and what is it?

James Emory
January 21st, 2005, 09:30 PM
Well, it was a while back and was someone who wanted the world for $50.00. I should have copied it into that post. Below is another great thread about rediculous and demanding job offers and the knuckleheads who make them. Enjoy!

www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33082

Bruce S. Yarock
January 22nd, 2005, 08:54 PM
Anyone do pro voice overs down here? i'm in Pembroke Pines.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
954-430-1616
yarock@aol.com

Bob Curnow
January 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM
Hi,
Looking for a crew to film my wedding in central CA. Setting is outdoor at golfcourse, and then indoor/outdoor reception. Need two shooters each with a 720p cam, such as the jvc. Preferably someone who knows how to get good shots out of the cam. Of course a meal and drinks will be available at the reception.

Can I get two quotes? The first is for a finished and edited product in native format on hard drive.

The other price is for the raw footage unedited.

Already talked to DJ, and he will not allow you to tap into his equipment for sound... just so you know.
Let me know prices if you're available; sorry for short notice.
Thanks,
Bob C
bobbyc03@yahoo.com

Rick Bravo
January 23rd, 2005, 12:02 AM
We have someone who does all of our VOs. He has this amazing, deep, booming voice. What are you looking for?

RB

Bruce S. Yarock
January 23rd, 2005, 07:10 AM
Rick,
It's for a web comercial we did for our own business, about motorcycles.
Can I give you a call? if so, email your number.
Thanks
Bruce Yarock

Rick Bravo
January 23rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
It's on its way!

RB

Mitchell Stookey
January 23rd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Hello,
I thought I'd share with everyone an idea I'm doing in my hometown that I think others could do and make some money with. I am making a DVD for the graduating class for the high school I myself graduated from. I have made a list of questions (What was your fav subject, fav teacher, best moment, where do you want to be in 10 years, what are your immediate plans etc etc) and will be interviewing every senior over lunch time for a week. They will also have 2 minutes to say whatever they want. Then each student can fill out a form picking 20 friends or people they want to be in their personalized dvd. It is like a video yearbook. I also will be purchasing some videos that the school video club made (such as a year end video) and sprucing up the dvd with that. I will be charging 15 dollars for the basic dvd and 20 picks of friends, and each individual person after that will be 0.25 cents. If you like the idea feel free to use it, and do it however you want! That's just how I am doing and the kids are very interested. I think I will sell one to almost every student. Hope someone else makes use of this too!

Bob Costa
January 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM
Watch out for copyrights on any borrowed footage. Let us know how many hours you put into this , how many DVDs you sell, and how much you make after expenses.

Ray Lane
January 24th, 2005, 08:11 AM
HMMMM, thats a good idea!

I had thought about doing a video yearbook for schools which would have required shooting at many, many events (proms, games, etc.). In the end I was too busy to put in all of that work. This idea seems much better and easier!

Mitchell Stookey
January 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Lol, I highly doubt I'll run into copyright trouble. What I meant was I'll use the little videos the high school kids made for pep rallys and stuff, and then just give them some money so they can buy new software, tapes etc, for their video club just as a thanks. And I will keep you guys posted on how it plays out

Jeff Patnaude
January 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
You didnt hear this from me.
DO NOT COPY my posting , and please dont quote me as a source for this.

We are looking for an Experienced (5 yrs) editor to operate our FCP Mac system with Cinewave, uncompressed video from BetaSP, After Effects, Motion, you name it. We are a corporation that does live shows once a week, road shows (edit video for last night- you know the drill) and promotional campaigns. Your creativity will undoubtedly butt heads with corporate conservatism- so be able to handle these politics.

The company is called Primerica, and we are located in Duluth, Georgia. Its a notheast suburb of Atlanta. Great place to live and work.

I have nothing to do with the hiring. If you are interested in the position and learning more about it, you can call and ask for our Human Resources office through our main number:
770-381-1000

Please say you heard this from a friend at the main office - or something like that.
Good luck guys,

Jeff P

Guillaume Tremblay
January 24th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm a director from Quebec, Canada and I'm searching for clip in american film of security guard that is getting killed. For now, I found

Die Hard
Matrix
Terminator
Alone in the dark
The incredible melting man
Hulk

but it is not enough...If you remember having seen these workers dying on a american film, just let me know and I'll go to rent it. I'm gonna need some of these clips for my next short film.

Regards,

Guillaume

Keith Loh
January 24th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Heat
The Fly 2
Die Hard 3

Jamie Walker
January 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Hi Guys,

I saw an AD for Home Video Studio in a magazine and decided to check it out. I went to the their website and had a look around. Does anybody know what this busines is about? I think you invest and they give you eqiupment. From the website the investment looks to be a 99 thousand dollars. I'm not even close to investing 99 thousand dollars. Have you guys seen this? Heard of it? Checked it out? thanks for the input, just curious.
http://www.homevideostudio.com/started.htm

here is the link.

Boyd Ostroff
January 24th, 2005, 03:55 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Guillaume Tremblay : I'm gonna need some of these clips for my next short film. -->>>

How do you intend to get permission to use these clips in your film?

Bob Costa
January 24th, 2005, 04:06 PM
I did not look at this one, but they are all ripoffs. The big thing in any business is finding clients, and I have yet to see a successful photo or video franchise. There are many paths ot getting into a video business, but that is not one of them.

Rhett Allen
January 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM
The only thing this disgusting web site was missing were the ACTUAL words SCAM written on it! It wreaks of a scam. All they are interested in is making money, they even say that several times. The only thing this site and the companies it creates are going to do is give Videographers and small video companies a bad name.

RUN AWAY!

I don't know of one single person who got into this business because it was easy and paid a fortune.

Guillaume Tremblay
January 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I intend to make a deal with only one major. It may be Warner Bros, Fox, MGM, anybody, the one that have more death security guard. I called them and they told me that they can make a package deal for $10 000.

Jamie Walker
January 24th, 2005, 07:37 PM
I saw a video that was from a seminar that they put on. Lets just say it was not professional.

Rick Bravo
January 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM
<<<From the website: Robert’s vision for HVSI was born from experience in film and video production. He has been involved in every aspect of the industry as a writer, producer, director, technician, cinematographer, and editor.>>>

Seems to me like the guy can't keep a job!

Here's another little gem: <<<He shot on both coasts on 16mm, 35mm, Panavision™, and ć” and Betacam™ video.>>>

Both coasts...HOLY MACKEREL! I wonder why he's avoided the middle of the country?

I guess they don't know that 35mm and Panavision are the same things! Panavision just happens to be a different camera system like Arriflex or MovieCam. And let's not forget "Betacam video"...is there any other BetaCam that I am not aware of?

I also like the fact that they are all holding and surrounded by an award that he named after himself!

If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullsh*t!

Jeesh!

RB

Rick Bravo
January 24th, 2005, 10:25 PM
<<<As proof that his system works for him, Robert participates in many non-business related activities: playing bass guitar in his church ensemble; vacationing with his family several times a year; and enjoying one of his favorite hobbies – cooking! He is an avid reader and, of course, a film buff. He collects classic sheet music, especially from movies and TV shows. Robert and his wife, Denise, spend hours and hours perusing local antique malls. They enjoy exploring wineries and, of course, sampling fine wine. Both are involved in serious physical fitness activities as well. Robert, for example, continues to pursue his black belt in Tae Kwon Do. Denise plays plenty of tennis. >>>

That's it dude, I'm in, I'm signing up, where do I send the check?! I want to play tennis, go antiquing and kick the hell out of someone with my karate skills if they don't give me a good price!

Let's not forget playing the bass guitar in church while sampling fine wines!

This program is niftier than a dog with two d*cks!

RB

Rick Bravo
January 24th, 2005, 10:29 PM
<<<"Your investment in your financial future for our
all-inclusive, completely turnkey HVSI studio
package is $ 99,900.00.">>>

Dude...if I had $99,900, why would I need this?

They've got to be kidding!

RB

Ben Lynn
January 24th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Jamie,

Run away fast!

If you are really looking to run a video business then I suggest that you start by talking with a video consultant on what it takes to create professional video. They can also tell you what it "really takes" to make it work. And it won't be "every night and weekend off". They can also give you honest advice on what you can accomplish with your budget.

It also depends on the production level that you're looking to get into. You'll find that the demands/rewards at each level will vary greater.

One thing for sure is that it won't come in a magic box like that site says. You need to talk with someone in the industry and get some honest answers to your questions.

Ben Lynn

David Yuen
January 24th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Looks like he's got some mega compression algorithm, since he illustrates his Video to Computer File Conversion (http://www.homevideostudio.com/profit.htm#7) link with a VHS tape and a 3.5" floppy disk.

Rhett Allen
January 25th, 2005, 12:01 AM
"Super Duper Codec" Hahaha!

I also like the "Video Tape Repair" with a picture of some film negative next to it.

also,
Why do I give a sh*t what their personal hobbies are? So I feel better knowing where my $100K is going while I struggle to figure out how to make it back with this new venture I started with the money I saved from working at Walmart?

The scariest part is... you know some a-hole is going to buy into it!

David Yuen
January 25th, 2005, 12:40 AM
I think the missing piece of the puzzle is that you go into major debt and then make it all back with several hundred real estate and car commercial videos (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32947).

Rhett Allen
January 25th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Yeah! 100 bucks at a time! Should turn a profit oh in... never!

Rob Lohman
January 25th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Isn't it easier and cheaper to just shoot something yourself for
that kind of money?

Bryan Roberts
January 25th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Just what it says. I'm a freelancer in NC but would definitely welcome projects nationwide. I have access to Avid Xpress Pro, FCP HD, Vegas 5, After Effects. I have edited many short films, one feature length film, music videos, PSA's etc. Reel available apon request.

Rick Jones
January 25th, 2005, 11:12 PM
I went to their seminar to see what was involved. If you're looking to do a lot of "shooting" or spending a lot of time editing Hollywood grade productions then this isn't for you. This program is geared more towards the consumer or small company that wants video work but can't afford the big production houses.

However, they do have a package that will allow you to make money IF you decide that you can be happy doing it. Yes, tape repair is one of the "Profit Centers" and no, you're not going to get rich doing that. It's just another way of bringing in other potential clients.

There are over 60 studios across the country. What they make varies but I have talked to the individual studio owners and 10K per month is not uncommon. One in Phoenix grossed over 25K in December.

Is it a rip off? Depends on what your thinking is. What you're paying for is not only the equipment but the sales and marketing program to generate clients in your area. No evenings or weekends? Not likely in the beginning I'm sure. The main selling point of this business is the studio support you get. There is ongoing training, weekly sales and marketing calls. You have access to accountants, marketing experts, technical support, web presense and support, etc. Almost all are toll free numbers to call. Plus you have the experience of all the other studio owners with which to call on.

I've talked with several owners that are making good money. I've also talked with some that haven't or have gone out of business. Most of them put the blame on themselves though for not following the "Prime Directives" or investing enough in marketing. Or simply not working it as a business.

Expensive. Yes it is. Very. However their target potential owner is someone in their 40's or later with money to invest in a turnkey business. Not someone fresh out of college. No different than buying a Kinko's.

I don't want to get into a pis-ing contest about this but it seems to be a working plan as long as you realize that you're not going to make the next great Hollywood spectacular. Just another way of working in the video field.

And yes, they need some SERIOUS work on their web site and collateral material.

--My 2 cents

Rhett Allen
January 26th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Yea, and I've seen people on TV making $100K a month working from home stuffing envelopes! I just don't like these kind of turnkey businesses.
Pressing the "copy" button on a machine at Kinkos is a little easier to teach than the millions of skills involved in video production. Yes, to buy an existing business would be easier if the employees that actually DO the work are already there but the notion that any idiot with $100K can buy into this industry from scratch just says to me the industry quality is going down the toilet.

Look at what happened in the early 90's when Macintosh computers really started taking off. Any moron with $5K to buy a Mac suddenly thought they were a designer. The design world has never been the same.

And their website alone gives me enough reason to doubt the marketing prowess of these guys! But, to each his own. At least they're making tons of money.