View Full Version : Miller Solo DV Tripods

Christopher Go
August 24th, 2003, 10:17 AM
These are relatively new tripods sporting DS-5, 10, and 20 Miller heads marketed for one-man crews. Anyone try them out yet? Check out Miller's press release here (http://www.miller.com.au/news.cfm?sectid=40&subsec=4011&ID=29).

Andrew Petrie
August 24th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have any pricing info? Rumor or otherwise?

Christopher Go
August 24th, 2003, 10:34 AM
Saw the DS-10 version going for $1299.95 US over at B&H Photo. B&H's site is having problems for me now though, I'd have to double check...

Ken Tanaka
August 25th, 2003, 11:48 AM
I'm unclear as to why these "Solo" configurations are being marketed as particularly good for 1-man crews. Perhaps because of the lighter carbon fiber legs? I have a DS-10 and can say that it's an excellent head and relatively lightweight (compared to my Sachtler head). I can also say that my Miller aluminum legs are hardly burdonsome and feature a shoulder strap and mid-level spreader, making set-up/tear-down/carry a pretty pain-free process.

Christopher Go
August 25th, 2003, 09:52 PM
I know what you mean, perhaps a clever marketing strategy and that's it. Checked the specifications on Miller's website and the alluminum tripod that comes with the basic DS-10 package (828 (http://www.miller.com.au/products.cfm?sectid=20&subsec=2020&productID=79)), the lightweight 75mm 440 tripod (http://www.miller.com.au/products.cfm?sectid=20&subsec=2020&productID=148), weighs the same as the Solo DV 1501 tripods (http://www.miller.com.au/products.cfm?sectid=20&subsec=2020&productID=178): 5.5 lbs.

The Payload capacity of the Solo is 44lbs however, versus 33lbs on the other. And the Solo is a 2 stage tripod. Of course, this depends on which 'other' tripod you have in the Miller line.

Do you have a 2 stage one from Miller, Ken? Which one did you get? Would you recommend Miller for a DVX-100? The other combination I was considering was the Bogen 525MVB legs with a 503 head. The DVX-100 will be outfitted with matte box, rods, sun shade, and so forth so the extra weight should be considered. I don't want to spend more than $1000.

Primary application is for shooting DV films and shorts I've written (no event videography) so portability is a secondary concern because we have to account for setups.

Ken Tanaka
August 25th, 2003, 10:06 PM
"Do you have a 2 stage one from Miller, Ken? Which one did you get?"
I have the "828" package shown in your link, Chris.

"Would you recommend Miller for a DVX-100?"
I've never used a DVX100, but I imagine that is has very similar load characteristics as my GL2. I normally use my DS-10 rig with my GL2 and it's an excellent combination. The GL2's just a mite light for the DS-10's counterbalance, but not so much so that the drag cannot easily be adjusted to compensate.

Christopher Go
August 29th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Thanks, Ken. Do you think the Miller tripod itself is too light for reliable work out in the field?

Ken Tanaka
August 29th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Absolutely not. It should be pretty well-suited for the DVX100. If anything, you might consider going for the DS5 head (See Miller packages (http://www.miller.com.au/products.cfm?sectID=20&subsec=2010). The DS10 seems designed with the basic XL1s rig in mind, and just a tiny mite over-capacitied for my GL2. In hindsight, if I had known I would be using the Miller for only my GL2 I might have gone for the DS5.

Christopher Go
August 31st, 2003, 05:14 AM
The DS-10 should be just about right then, since I intend to shoot primarily with a Cavision matte box and rods. Thanks for your insight, Ken.

Zac Stein
August 31st, 2003, 09:28 AM
I just went from a manfrotto setup with a 501 fluid head to a ds-5 and the difference is so large i don't know how i ever used the manfrotto, i couldn't rec. a tripod more highly.

zac

Christopher Go
September 5th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Hey Ken, Zac, I was able to test a DS-10 on a single stage tripod.

I can see why a 2 stage one would be preferable in terms of transport, since it can collapse to a smaller length. The 2 stage can also go higher but this package is several hundred more.

Some questions I hope you guys or anyone else could answer:

How easily should I be able to pan or tilt? This is my first time with a higher-end tripod (at least in comparision with my Libec MH20) and I notice the movement is a lot more stiff - very smooth but deliberate, it refuses to swing too easily in any direction, which I assume is a good thing?

When would the drag come into use?

What does the counterbalance do exactly? I know it is to account for heavier payloads, correct?

The tripod camera plate is quite long - any recommendations on where to attach the camcorder along its length?

I'm only able to use the tripod for a bit before it goes, hence all the questions. I think I'm gonna purchase a Miller for sure...

Thanks for the help in advance though!

Andrew Petrie
September 5th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Chris - The counterbalance comes into effect when you tilt the camera. If you tilt the camera forward, the load weight will shift forward as well. That could potentially topple the tripod, and smash goes the expensive camera. :)

The counterbalance, through the use of springs, keeps the weight load centered, so all 3 sticks stay firmly planted on the ground with the weight evenly distributed.

Ken Tanaka
September 5th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Christopher,
Andrew covered the basics of the counterbalance pretty well. This is a spring-loaded mechanism that provides enough counterforce to make tilts smoother while simultaneously helping to maintain a relatively level attitude.

Two stage legs do collapse to a somewhat shorter length. But before making a selection consider that 2-stage legs also generally take a bit more futzing to set up, particularly if you usually work at higher lens levels.

"Drag" refers to friction applied to the pan / tilt mechanisms and is separate from counterbalance. Being able to closely control drag is important for being able to perform, and repeat, pan/tilt motions accurately with a given payload. Your report of stiff pans/tilts suggests that you may have drag set too high.

Positioning the camera on the plate, and the plate on the head, is a matter of balance. You'll have to experiment for yourself. With a small, light camera like a GL2's, PD150's, DVX100's it just won't be a big deal. It's a more significant consideration for heavier cameras with eccentric centers of gravity.

Christopher Go
September 7th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Thanks again for the insight and definitions, Andrew, Ken.

If I turn the drag all the way on, there is a slight jerk right when I start, presumably because I'm moving against the added friction now, but otherwise it's smooth thereafter (plus with the drag test, I'm doing it without a camcorder - need to correct this in another session).

I'm getting a better understanding and appreciation of this tripod and head. Right now, I like it with the drag off since I don't think I have enough of a load to warrant it? I was able to test the tripod with no drag, and with the camcorder and mattebox loaded.

With mattebox and camcorder, I think I'm close to 5 -6 lbs. I'll have to weigh it all to make sure.

Christopher Go
September 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Okay, I'm not sure what to make of the so called "multi-step" drag system feature of the Miller DS-10.

It doesn't seem to really work unless I turn the drag knob over to its tightest setting, which at that point I can't turn the knob any further anyway. If I don't do this, then the movement of the tripod, both pan and tilt, seem the same.

Is yours like this? Should I be able to get more of a "drag" response from the tripod head if I move the drag knob even a small notch? Or do you have to really turn the drag knob until it stops before you get a difference?

Ken Tanaka
September 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM
The DS10 does not have the precisely calibrated drag adjustments that other, more expensive, heads feature. Twist to taste.

Christopher Go
September 7th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Very interesting - I was wondering where the Miller's price would show its true colors because I do like how fluid the pans and tilts are; guess the drag system isn't up to par.

Just to clarify then, can you tell the difference between when the drag is off and when it is set to the middle position for example? My impression is that there are really only 2 settings for the Miller, free and tight. The tilt is even less defined. Would you agree?

Ken Tanaka
September 7th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Not exactly, but not completely wrong either. I generally get one intermediate setting.

Christopher Go
September 7th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Are the Bogen heads the same in this regard?

Ken Tanaka
September 7th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Can't say, as I've never used the 501 or 503. I'm sure someone will reply, as they are very popular.

Christopher Go
September 9th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Spoke with Miller support recently and all I can say is that I feel very comfortable with that company. The people I spoke to were knowledgeable and helpful, over both the phone and email.

I am going to continue testing the drag out since it is very subtle, but it is good to know that Miller is genuinely good for the entire 3 year warranty.

Thought I'd let people know in case they are considering a Miller tripod.

Christopher Go
September 23rd, 2003, 08:06 PM
Legs aside, do you think getting a Vinten Vision 3 head over a Miller DS-10 is worth it, or very little difference?

Jeff Donald
September 23rd, 2003, 09:04 PM
Vinten takes the perfornace to a whole other level. No comparison in my book.

Ken Tanaka
September 23rd, 2003, 09:20 PM
As an owner of both I have to admit that Vinten wins the honors (as Jeff has long asserted). The Miller is a good tool. The Vision 3 is a precise instrument.

Matt Desmet
October 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM
The Great Thread Revival of 2004

Ok, is this one of those questions so basic I am just missing it altogether. I have a GL-2, will I be able to easily attach it to the DS-5. Miller says the DS-5 comes with "Quick release plate: 1/4" Screw and Pin". The DS-10 comes with "Camera plate choice: 1/4" & 3/8" or 1/4" & pin" I looked in my GL-2 manual and it only warns about the tripod screw being no longer than 1/4 inch.

Question 2:
Ken (if you're out there), I have a GL2 and am debating the DS-5 or DS-10. You said in this thread that the DS-10 is just a bit much for the GL-2 and you might have gone with the DS-5 for your GL-2. My only concern is if I add the mic, light and all, that oh crap, the DS-5 can't handle the weight now. Looks like GL-2 with BP-915 is 2 lbs 10 oz or so. Is this a valid concern. Is that 5 LB limit an absolute max weight.

Thanks so much!

Ken Tanaka
October 26th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Hello Matt and Welcome,
I've never used the DS-5 but I suspect it would be just fine for the GL2. I know that Boyd O. has one for his PDX-10 and loves it.

If you have the additional budget headroom, I'd be inclined to opt for the DS-10. I believe it will afford you just a bit more latitude with respect to load and adjustability for a slightly heavier GL2. The DS-10 tends my rig-of-choice when using the GL2 in casual situations when I really just want simplicity.

If I recall correctly, the DS-10's base plate ships with two sets of screws. One set, consisting of two separate screws, is meant for use with full-sized professional ENG cameras which require two screws to be locked down. The other set consists of a single screw mated, via a plastic collar, to a locking pin. This set fits perfectly into the GL2 (and other consumer/prosumer cameras).

Have fun!

Graham Bernard
October 27th, 2004, 03:37 AM
Hello Ken,

Doing the Community and Event stuff I do, I'm looking at a ligher tripod than my Mannif, which is spectacular for dolly work, but far too heavy for the other work. I'm now feeling the limitations of the Velbon I orignally got, and want that extra "bite" when it comes to stability and secure knowledge of a steady shot.

This is the Miller I'm looking at: http://www.millertripods.com/products.cfm?sectid=20&subsec=2020&productID=79#

This appears to be the same set up as you use with the XM2 - yes?

Grazie

Ken Tanaka
October 27th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Yes, that's it exactly Grazie.