View Full Version : my HC1 is broken -- repair or replace?

Scott Hayes
August 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM
needs $512 repair to the tape mechanism as it will not play back tapes consistently,
constant errors. Seems to record fine in camera mode. Should I repair it, or replace it with a Canon HV20? I really want a tape/hybrid camera since my two main cams are still tape. But would rather put $500 towards a new camera with warranty.

John Huebbe
August 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
My opinion, ditch it and buy a new camera. I bought all 3 of my HC1's on eBay and didn't pay over $690 for them. $512 seems too much to pay for a repair of an old camera. I'd buy new.

Jack Zhang
August 19th, 2008, 03:04 AM
My HC7 just broke too. Is the consensus to not fix? I bought myself a HV30 cause it was an emergency.

Dave Blackhurst
August 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Repair is a matter of what's broken and the cost... Sony's "flat rate" quote also may be higher than another reputable shop could do the job for. One shop might repair, while another might replace an expensive assembly... You also would need to consider factors such as the overall condition of the camera and how much time/use is on it.

In short, no easy answer. Part of the equation is how much prices are coming down on newer cameras as the technology matures.

And to make it even more interesting, you can always sell the carcass on eBay for SOMETHING, there are quite a few amateur repair people out there who buy the remains of dead cameras, and resurrect them. I did this myself with some hard to find Sony still cams, bought 5 dead, created 3 good ones from the remains... for less than the price of one! Fairly late model video cameras actually bring pretty good money, FWIW, even broken.

Not sure if that helps, but maybe it will give you some ideas...

Scott Hayes
August 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM
i am all for parting it out and getting an HV30 at this point

Robert M Wright
August 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM
If it still records fine, you could get an HV30, be able to shoot with either or both cameras, and capture with the HV30.

Paul Cascio
August 25th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Another option is use Adobe's OnLocation with your HC1 to record direct to disk.

Scott Hayes
August 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM
thats a pain in the ass. lugging around a laptop to record 40 minutes of ceremony.
I use the HC1 mainly as a deck, and WS camera. It works when I smack it, so until
it stops working completely, I will keep it around.

Dave Blackhurst
August 26th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Hi Scott -
Ever had the camera in for maintenance? Perhaps a tune up is all it really needs if knocking it upside the head "fixes" the problem. DV mechanisms are famous for drifting out of alignment as they get old (just like cars and people! <wink>), so maybe it's worth exploring!

Scott Hayes
August 26th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I called both sony AND armatos, and the quote from Sony was $500, and Armatos
couldn't tell me without sending it in, but he told me it would be more than their online
estimates.

Lou Bruno
October 25th, 2008, 07:45 PM
At this point, you should consider the Canon HV-30 since the price was just lowered.

I called both sony AND armatos, and the quote from Sony was $500, and Armatos
couldn't tell me without sending it in, but he told me it would be more than their online
estimates.

Scott Hayes
October 26th, 2008, 10:53 AM
well, it has been working ok here lately. if it goes down completely, i am getting the canon.

Mike Gunter
October 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
well, it has been working ok here lately. if it goes down completely, i am getting the canon.

Hi Scott,

FWIW, I'd buy a HV30 and check an independent repair shop for an estimate on the HC1. You might be able to fix it for as little as $60 or so and have a backup for the backup, something that you might find appealing rough gets rougher. My HC1 is still ticking away and making great pictures, not as good as my HVX200, but still ticking... ;-)

My best and good luck!

Mike

Guy Shaddock
October 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Hey Scott

Other things to consider are the functions of the HC1. Things like the manual focus ring by the lens etc. Compare these features to the newer models and if it is Sony...they dropped some of these "must have" capabilities. Capabilites that differentiate the consumer and the professional cameras. The HC1 is VERY similar to the Sony HVR-A1. I suspect Sony dropped the HC1 because it was cannabilizing their more professional models. I have an HC1 and also a Canon XH-A1. There are some occasions the XH-A1 won't work. The image quality of the HC1 is so close (in good light) to the XH-A1, I can still combine footage in editing.

Tom Hardwick
October 28th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Might be worth mentioning that the Canon HV30 could have trouble playing back the HDV tapes recorded on the Sony. Worth checking out as an HV20 tape wouldn't play back in my Z1 or FX1. I could FF and see ther tape was recorded, but that was all.

Martyn Hull
November 20th, 2008, 03:59 AM
My HC-1 is mainly a pc cam these days as i rarely use it in the field but recently the lcd went so i could not even use it for pc work,here in the uk i have accepted a 171£ quote incl parts labour and vat, i have a FX-7 but its large for the space i have around the pc table so i hope getting the HC-1 repaired is a wise move.

Tom Hardwick
November 20th, 2008, 04:51 AM
The HC1 is still in production and sold as the Sony A1, so it must have proved to be a very good and reliable camera indeed. I would have thought it worth repairing if it hasn't been used 'n' abused.

Martyn Hull
November 20th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Its as new body wise,the heads have done a fair few hours thats the only slight worry but i have given the go ahead as if i purchased a second hand cam for anywhere near the same price i would still not be sure of head wear etc.

Shahryar Rizvi
November 20th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I'm sort of on the same boat as you, but repair's not an option for me. My HC1 just died in a house fire I had last month (which also killed my Canon XH-A1). I had purchased it open box back in 2006 from Best buy. It was barely used (it was in its box, had plastic still on, etc.) and I got it for $1100. It had a good run, giving me only one problem last fall when the tape deck woudln't come back up. I got it fixed by Sony (under warranty) and after that, no issues.

Now I need to get another consumer type camera. Ideally, I would love something that could record to both tape and a hard drive or flash drive or something. I love recording to tape, makes archiving so easy. But I know I'd work with footage a lot more if I could access it in a more handy method than finding it on tape. Plus, I have a lot of footage on mini dv tapes I'd still like to view and work with.

But on the consumer level, seems nothing like that exists. So I'm thinking an HV20 or HV30. Maybe I cold get the HVR-A1, but I haven't really looked at it - is it a lot bigger than the HC1?

Graham Hickling
November 20th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Physically, the Sony HC1 and A1 are essentially identical, except that the A1 has a dual XLR audio module bolted on its top. Featurewise, the A1 has a few additional "pro" feature like black stretch.

Tom Hardwick
November 21st, 2008, 02:05 AM
Go for the HV30 Shahryar. You could add a Sony CF reader by Firewire, but it costs. That little Canon is just amazing - so anap it up now while the MiniDV cams are still available.

Shahryar Rizvi
November 21st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Physically, the Sony HC1 and A1 are essentially identical, except that the A1 has a dual XLR audio module bolted on its top. Featurewise, the A1 has a few additional "pro" feature like black stretch.

Go for the HV30 Shahryar. You could add a Sony CF reader by Firewire, but it costs. That little Canon is just amazing - so anap it up now while the MiniDV cams are still available.

Thank you both for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the HV30 Tom, just looking for the right price. I remember back in April 2008, B&H Photo had some crazy deal on getting the camcorder for $650 + shipping. I bought it, but decided my HC1 was still good and let my friend get it from me for what I paid. I'm going to keep an eye out for a good sale price on it from a reputable seller and get it then.

So I could add on the Sony CF Reader if needed for the HV30? What kind of cost would I be looking at? I most probably wouldn't want to use anything extra with this cam that I mainly want to use for family events and stuff. It just would be really nice if there was something small that would do both tape and card (or HDD). Then I could just Record an event, leave the tape at home on my shelf if I ever need it, take the card(s) with me in my bag, and whenever I get a chance, move things to my computer to edit, upload, and share. Would the CF reader be a significant add on in terms of size?

Recording to something else in addition to tape is more important to me when I decide on how to replace my XH-A1. I might consider stepping up to the XH-A1s because (from what I understand) it's 6 pin firewire will make it easier to work with an external HD. But $4k's kind of a tough pill to swallow - I was more comfortable spending $2750, the amount I paid on my used XH-A1 (bought from a dvinfo.net member a couple months ago). For the amount and type of work I'll be doing with this cam, I can't justify spending too high an amount.

Charles Cutajar
September 6th, 2013, 08:55 AM
I have damaged mine while diving with it,some salt water got inside and damaged some boards.If you decide to sell yours pm me