View Full Version : What's the best tripod for $200 and under?

Bob Diffenderfer
July 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM
I need a tripod for my church, it will be holding a DVX100. Nothing fancy, it will be used for a medium shot of the Pastor. Probably minimum panning, zoomed in from kinda far away. I'm not too familiar with tripods in this price range, I myself use a Miller.

Luke Ross
July 30th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Well, i might get smacked for even suggesting a sub $200 tripod, but I just received my sub 200 tripod and was actually pleasantly surprised as to how well it performed. I won a Ford Sync video contest recently, so I had some amazon cash to spend. It doesn't leave a ton of room for adjustment, but it does have a ball level, smooth pan, and a decent tilt. With some cheaper tripods I have dealt with, there are little flat spots in a pan, and this was smooth all the way around. As far as the legs, they support a good amount of weight, which I was looking for since I will be using it for a crane and I don't want to mess up a high end tripod with the crane's weight. Leg locks are a little cheap in comparison, but once locked, they aren't going anywhere.

I have used a range of tripods form the high-end Libec, to Bogen, to the really high end rentals, and I would say for what you are asking for in church, this tripod should do.

Its a Tiffen Davis and Sanford 7518 and I picked it up on amazon this last week. There are mixed reviews like many other lower end tripods. I didn't have the plate issue like one guy complains about, I think the plate is fine! The company sounds like if you have any faults in the pan, they replace it based on reviews I have read.
http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-Sanford-ProVista-7518-Supports/dp/B00009UTCA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1217478133&sr=8-1

Hope this helps,
Luke

Giroud Francois
July 31st, 2008, 02:33 AM
you can get a WEIFENG EI-717 for as low as 150$

Gary Burlingame
July 31st, 2008, 12:26 PM
I would recommend this combo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/168060-REG/Slik_615_900_700DX_Pro_Tripod_Leg.html
(legs)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=553886&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews
(head)

After owning 3 of these combos myself (although I've since upgraded the heads to Bogen 503's) I recommended this combo for my church. It has worked out really well for them and you get a lotta bang for your buck. The Slik 700DX legs allow you to elevate the camera nice and high (70" plus the additional height provided by the tripod head and camera). Unless you have the luxury of setting the tripod on an elevated surface (like a table or console), you'll need a tall tripod to shoot over the heads of the congregation when it's standing up. These legs are also very lightweight (yet still quite sturdy) and collapse down very easily.

Jason Robinson
July 31st, 2008, 04:16 PM
I need a tripod for my church, it will be holding a DVX100. Nothing fancy, it will be used for a medium shot of the Pastor. Probably minimum panning, zoomed in from kinda far away. I'm not too familiar with tripods in this price range, I myself use a Miller.

The Matthews M25 is pretty good for $170. 3" of travel on the quick release plate so you can slide the unit forward or backward on the head to get it balanced so it isn't tipping forward / backward.

I have both a Libec and a Matthews. The problem you will have with both is the panning motion is not smooth if you are zoomed all the way in. I use GL2s and for a high school graduation at a large auditorium, there was substantial jitter when zoomed in and attempting to pan slowly.

Matthias Krause
July 31st, 2008, 04:27 PM
I have the Matthews and I actually think itīs a piece of garbage. The mechanism to open and close the legs is just painful to handle. The legs get stuck if you try to slide them back. The sliding plate on the head gets stuck all the time. It feels flimsy and plasticy and I really wish I would have opted for the Libec.

Colin McDonald
July 31st, 2008, 05:01 PM
I tried the Matthews recently to to some full zoom (XHA1) very slow pans expecting poorish results but was pleasantly surprised. I understand what Matthais is saying about the stiff clips on the leg adjustments but have earned to live with them; similarly I can use the q/r plate without jamming it. I've tried more expensive tripods which seemed more solidly built but didn't work as well as the Matthews.

Obviously there are much better tripods, but I find the Matthews good value at this price point. You make not agree but I would recommend having a shot of one knowing it has its limitations.

Michael Wisniewski
July 31st, 2008, 09:15 PM
Bogen / Manfrotto's 701RC2 head (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/341507-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_701RC2_701RC2_Video_Fluid_Head.html) is another option. Just need to get an inexpensive set of sticks.

Stelios Christofides
August 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
How about this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/506090-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

It's a bit more than $200 but worth it.

Stelios

Bill Davis
August 5th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Just a reality check...

For a product to sell at retail for $200 with all the overhead, transportation, marketing, mark-up, flooring charges, labor, etc built in - it's probably going to have maybe a tenth of that in the cost of it's actual parts and manufacturing.

So you're $200 tripod is likely made out of $20 bucks worth of stuff and direct machining costs.

Pretty hard to make a really precision anything for that kind of dough.

FWIW.

Roger Shealy
September 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
If you can find it, a Sony VCT-870RM can be had for around $125 with the LANC built into the handle. I just finished comparing this tripod on my XH-A1 to a brand new Bogen 503HDV, which for all it's professional look, adjustability, and the nice 75mm ball, the simple Sony spanked it pretty badly in pan and tilt comparisons. The Sony is more fragile than the Bogen, and sticks aren't as rigid, but all things considered the Sony's presence on tape was superior.

I'm sending the Bogen back.

Skye Giebink
September 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hey guys. Thought I'd try asking my question in this thread. I need to find a tripod setup for $100 or less that's as good as it can be for the money. It will be used by college students for making short films. The Sony VCT870 has some good reviews, but it's no longer available.

Any suggestions?

Shahryar Rizvi
September 10th, 2008, 03:48 PM
If you can find it, a Sony VCT-870RM can be had for around $125 with the LANC built into the handle. I just finished comparing this tripod on my XH-A1 to a brand new Bogen 503HDV, which for all it's professional look, adjustability, and the nice 75mm ball, the simple Sony spanked it pretty badly in pan and tilt comparisons. The Sony is more fragile than the Bogen, and sticks aren't as rigid, but all things considered the Sony's presence on tape was superior.

I'm sending the Bogen back.

Wow, this is good news. I bought the Sony VCT-870RM in Spring of 2007 for my HC1 and have had a good experience with it so far. The little lever thing broke recently, so I've just been putting a little muscle into grabbing the stump and pulling it hard to have it let go of my camera.

I'm planning on getting an XH-A1 in the next few days and I was dreading having to get a new tripod too. Good to know I still have some use for my VCT-870RM. I now need to think about what kind of tripod I'm going to get for my HC1 to use for the shoots I take both my cameras too.

Roger Shealy
September 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I can't vouch for the source (review didn't look too good for these folks), but somebody still carries it:

Sony VCT-870RM Tripod with Remote Controller - $115.00 (http://www.newworldvideodirect.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1502&gclid=CJ3xmt3n1JUCFQyfnAodmVasWw)

The biggest issues with the 870 are:
- it doesn't go very high without using the center post extension (extension can compromise panning or tilting).
- the tripod isn't as rigid as a pro model, so you can't bump it.
- there can be a slight "rebound" at the end of a pan
The movement is very smooth, however. Most of my work is putting together clips, so I make sure I pan further than I need and edit out the rebound, if needed. If you keep tension on the head after the pan you're fine. If you release you hands, you may get slight movement. It's very light and compact. Easy to grab and go with the XH-A1 or HC3.

If you're looking to have true professional results for continuous shoots with pans and tilts, get the wallet out and plunk down $2,000 on a Sachtler.

John Stakes
September 11th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I recommend the Libec line, though I have not tried their lower priced tripods. Just don't get something that is too light!

-JS

Dwain Elliott
September 19th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Of course, better tripods cost more, but the Libec TMC-20 is a decent low-cost, lightweight tripod system just under $200.

Roger Shealy
September 27th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Well, I returned the first Bogen 503HDV because it had a defective leg. Seemed like a nice tripod and anybody can make a mistake. The second one came in and after trying to get it working, I confirmed my $125 Sony VCT-870RM produced better pans and tilts, especially compound moves.

I'm going to stick with the 870 and may order an 1170RM also. I'll probably stay out of the more expensive pods until I can afford a Sachtler.

Skye Giebink
September 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Okay everyone. I've got $350 to purchase 2-3 tripods. What should I get?

Erik Phairas
October 1st, 2008, 11:20 PM
Hey I found a nice little tripod at Best Buy of all places (I know).. Dynex Premium DX-MW010

Claims to have a fluid head, 11lbs capacity. I just picked it up to test out and so far it seems damn nice for 150bucks. I am uploading a vimeo review, should be up shortly. I can tell you it blows away any of the sunpak tripods, not even in the same league.

EDIT: http://www.vimeo.com/1864813

Skye Giebink
October 2nd, 2008, 01:06 AM
Hey I found a nice little tripod at Best Buy of all places (I know).. Dynex Premium DX-MW010

Claims to have a fluid head, 11lbs capacity. I just picked it up to test out and so far it seems damn nice for 150bucks. I am uploading a vimeo review, should be up shortly. I can tell you it blows away any of the sunpak tripods, not even in the same league.

EDIT: Dynex Premium Tripod DX-MW010 review on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1864813)

Awesome. Thanks for that video. Can it do decent pans and tilts? If so, that's what I'll go for.

Roger Shealy
October 2nd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Here's a quick vid I threw together from some footage from a car show last weekend using the Sony 870RM. These are 1st attempt, no elastic.... This is just raw stuff as it came. The last shot was purely spontaneous as the Barracuda came into the frame from a previous shot (note Vimeo isn't incredibly smooth. This looks really silky on my system):

Sony VCT-870RM tripod sample footage on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/1866675)

I'm pretty impressed with this pod. Wish I knew more about the 1170RM and its smoothness/capabilities relative to this pod. If it's as smooth, I'd plunk down $350 in a hurry to get the bowl, counterbalance, and better sticks.

Erik Phairas
October 2nd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Awesome. Thanks for that video. Can it do decent pans and tilts? If so, that's what I'll go for.

I just bought it last night. It has two knobs for vertical tilt adjust. One locks it down the other adjust how much resistance it gives you. Feels very smooth, but I haven't taken it out yet to try it. Great thing about Best Buy is you can always just return it, you get 30 days to try it. :)

The only parts of the tripod that are made from plastic are the little feet at the bottom of the legs and the grip on the handle. Pretty nice for a no name.

Nate Haustein
October 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM
Does anyone think the Sony VCT-870RM looks similar to this Velbon tripod?

Velbon | Videomate 607 Tripod with PH-368 Head and | VMATE607F (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/146249-REG/Velbon_VMATE607F_Videomate_607_Tripod_with.html)

Odd. I ended up getting two of the Velbons really cheap (<$30), and they'll get you by for small cameras like a HV30, although they're a tad wobbly for anything bigger than a GL2.

Roger Shealy
October 2nd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Wow, that Velbon looks just like the 870 minus the LANC (which is really handy). I also noticed that the Sony 1170 looks very much like another Velbon product. Perhaps Velbon is making all of the Sony pods???

I'm curious, does your Velbon have a very stiff head? The 870 requires a good bit of force to pan and tilt with a light camera, but is almost ideal with the XHA1.

Erik Phairas
October 2nd, 2008, 07:34 PM
tested it just now but I am using my SR11 which is too light. I really need a more meaty camera. At wide angles you can get it pretty smooth but at 12x or digital 24x, the pan is ok but the tilt is a bit jerky. Clearly not a true fluid head... but at 150bucks you know how it goes.

I am betting a heavy camera like an ex1 or 3 will smooth it out a bit more.

Skye Giebink
October 2nd, 2008, 09:31 PM
tested it just now but I am using my SR11 which is too light. I really need a more meaty camera. At wide angles you can get it pretty smooth but at 12x or digital 24x, the pan is ok but the tilt is a bit jerky. Clearly not a true fluid head... but at 150bucks you know how it goes.

I am betting a heavy camera like an ex1 or 3 will smooth it out a bit more.

Cool. Thanks for the update. Looks like a good tripod even if it's not the smoothest.

Erik Phairas
October 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Yea I am definitely keeping it. Just feels so solid. Some best Buys have it on display. You could always go check it out. Not sure if you will be able to find anything better but good luck!

Shahryar Rizvi
October 3rd, 2008, 09:29 AM
...The second one came in and after trying to get it working, I confirmed my $125 Sony VCT-870RM produced better pans and tilts, especially compound moves.

I'm going to stick with the 870 and may order an 1170RM also. ....

Here's a quick vid I threw together from some footage from a car show last weekend using the Sony 870RM. These are 1st attempt, no elastic.... This is just raw stuff as it came. The last shot was purely spontaneous as the Barracuda came into the frame from a previous shot (note Vimeo isn't incredibly smooth. This looks really silky on my system):

Sony VCT-870RM tripod sample footage on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/1866675)

I'm pretty impressed with this pod. Wish I knew more about the 1170RM and its smoothness/capabilities relative to this pod. If it's as smooth, I'd plunk down $350 in a hurry to get the bowl, counterbalance, and better sticks.

I mentioned earlier in the thread (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tripod-sticks-heads/126429-whats-best-tripod-200-under.html#post932105 ) that I have a Sony VCT870RM Tripod (bought in March, 2007 for $119 from Amazon). I had been using it with my Sony HC1, but now that I have my XH-A1, I could use use the 870 w/ my Canon, but because I'd like to take my HC1 with me on some shoots too, I need to look into getting another tripod. I could do another 870, but the 1170RM mentioned seems like something to consider - it's in the $350ish mark? That's a bit steeper than what I'd like to pay (for now).

Also, this is probably a recording 101 question, but what are the best ways to ensure you have a properly leveled shot when using this tripod?

Also, I mentioned this in my earlier post, but thought it was worth mentioning again - the little quick release lever had broken off for me within about a year of purchase. I just grip whatever's left to pop off the camera, but it's a bit annoying. The HC1 is a bottom-loading tape deck so whenever I had to switch tapes while recording a 2 hour long stand-up show, it was always tough to do it quickly in between comedians. but now with my XH-A1 not having a bottom loading tape deck, life will be better.

Roger Shealy
October 3rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Shahryar,

Take a look at the Velbon 607. It looks to be a slightly larger build of the Sony 870 without a LANC for around $70 and get's great reviews on B&H and Amazon. I suspect stongly the sony 870 is really just the smaller Velbon with LANC. You can order extra plates for about $12. If you don't want to zoom during shoots (which I try to avoid at all cost for creative work) then you can get buy with an inexpensive sony LANC for around $40 that will give you a start/stop, picture button, and two speed zoom. It's not great for zooming during capture, but you probably aren't doing that anyway. If you want a precise zoom, you can look at the Canon Lanc (1000 or 2000), Bogen 321 series, or others. Just get your wallet out.

Roger Shealy
October 8th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Just got in a Velbon 607 and it's really the same as the Sony VCT-870RM except:

607 has drag adjustments for tilt and pan, Sony doesn't (good)
607 has rubber feet with retractable spikes, Sony doesn't (good)
870 has the Sony LANC handle, which is very nice compared to cheap Velbon handle

Looks like Sony contracted Velbon to cheapen up the head adjustments, and added a nice LANC. Other than that, these are the same pods.

Shahryar Rizvi
October 8th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Shahryar,

Take a look at the Velbon 607. It looks to be a slightly larger build of the Sony 870 without a LANC for around $70 and get's great reviews on B&H and Amazon. I suspect stongly the sony 870 is really just the smaller Velbon with LANC. You can order extra plates for about $12. If you don't want to zoom during shoots (which I try to avoid at all cost for creative work) then you can get buy with an inexpensive sony LANC for around $40 that will give you a start/stop, picture button, and two speed zoom. It's not great for zooming during capture, but you probably aren't doing that anyway. If you want a precise zoom, you can look at the Canon Lanc (1000 or 2000), Bogen 321 series, or others. Just get your wallet out.

Just got in a Velbon 607 and it's really the same as the Sony VCT-870RM except:

607 has drag adjustments for tilt and pan, Sony doesn't (good)
607 has rubber feet with retractable spikes, Sony doesn't (good)
870 has the Sony LANC handle, which is very nice compared to cheap Velbon handle

Looks like Sony contracted Velbon to cheapen up the head adjustments, and added a nice LANC. Other than that, these are the same pods.

Hey thanks for the feedback Roger. Although $70 for the tripod + $40 for the lanc seems pretty close to the $120 price of the Sony VCT-870RM, right? I think I do like the lanc (I find myself needing to zoom during shots for my needs) so I wonder if it might be smart to sacrifice the advantages the 607 has over the Sony for the good lanc.

What about the better 1170RM? Thought $120 to $350 is quite a jump - at least for where I am right now.

Roger Shealy
October 9th, 2008, 04:42 AM
No doubt having a LANC is nice, and the Sony 870 LANC is a good if all you need is zoom, photo, on/off, and start/stop. The zoom is backwards on the 870; W in front, T to back. I don't know what camera you have, but you could consider an aftermarket LANC suited for your camera and you could swap it between tripods.

I'm tempted by the 1170 as well. I just hate to spend that much without seeing it first (just went through this with a Bogen 503HDV (351 kit) that was very disappointing for $650). The ball head is a great feature to have for quick leveling. the I think the 1170 is very similar to the Sunpak 620-810; once again without the LANC that Sony offers. The Sunpak can be had for around $120 on the net, if you can find it.

One other thing. I'm noticing how little zooming, panning, and tilting most professional creative work contains. I understand if you are a one-man-band shooting a wedding or other event you have to use these features. Next time you watch a movie or TV show, notice how infrequently they do anything other than a fixed camera with a fixed lens. For creative shots I'm finding the more I find a great angle and provide multiple vantage points with a fixed camera, the more professional the piece looks.

Mike Beckett
October 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I've always suspected that those Sonys are branded Libecs.

The 1170 certainly looks very similar to the TH-950DV model I had a while ago. The legs are identical, and the head looks the same. The manual I found online seems to confirm this. The LANC is the only difference I can see.

Not that this is a bad thing, though you might find the Libec cheaper if you are shopping around.

One thing I would say - much as I disliked my 503HDV (badged as a Vinten in my case) - it was way, way better than my Libec 950 model.

Roger Shealy
October 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Mike,

You may be right. Evidently the base pod used in the 1170 is identical or very similar to a number of units. I'm not sure who makes it. One ad claimed the 1170 was made in Japan. I wonder.

Erik Phairas
October 10th, 2008, 12:22 AM
finally mounted the EX3 to the dynex. The tripod itself it plently sturdy enough for the heavy camera. I haven't retried to the pan and tilt test at full zoom yet. I'll report back.

The pan and tilt locks on the head are able to stop the camera just fine.

Peter Holzel
October 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I have the Velbone 607, and I feel it is a great value for $70. But, I am an amateur, so I've never tried anything better. There are some pans with it in this video which I think are decent: Fall Foliage Near The Water on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/1987654), password is hf100.

Turn HD off, to see a smoother version of the video.

Anmol Mishra
February 5th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Giroud. I am thinking of buying the Weifeng as the Matthews M25 does not lock at 360 with a slider on top.
The torque causes it to move..(I am using a indislider / glidetrack DIY version - the igus slider).

The M25 does not have adjustable drag so I cannot tighten it up..

Does the Weifeng have adjustable tension and does it lock well at 360 deg ?

Cheers!
you can get a WEIFENG EI-717 for as low as 150$

Giroud Francois
February 6th, 2010, 06:27 AM
the weifeng has lock and drag for tilt and lock for pan, but has they use screws , there is not a special lock position, so you need to make sure the screw is tightly locked.
consequence of being chinese, i am not sure that the quality of the screw will happily suport that. what i would do is to drill a small hole so the screw goes in and then it is definitely locked without applying any force.
what i have done too is to add a threaded tube, just in the part that join legs and bowl.
this part has en empty space between the legs so you can add a small tube with thread inside. i just filled the remaining space with epoxy glue.
that way i can add an arm between the rail and the leg, or add anything else, like a monitor.
http://www.giroud2.com/download/tripod.jpg