View Full Version : Diffuser Ideas Needed

Doug Quance
July 18th, 2003, 03:41 PM
I have a Bescor video light with four barn doors, and a daylight filter on it. The light is more of a spot light, than anything... and I have searched for a diffuser to mount on it to no avail.

Does anyone know of a good method of putting some sort of diffuser on this unit? You can see the type by clicking on this link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/153065/BEMPL635/REG/2025

I'll be happy to build something, if I must... but it would be nice to get it right the first time! I would like the unit to allow me to put a little more light on faces in dimly lit situations.

Thanks

Jacques Mersereau
July 18th, 2003, 08:14 PM
You can buy some diffusion gel and figure out a way to make it work for you.

Casey Visco
July 18th, 2003, 10:08 PM
i'd get a sheet of LEE 216 (my personal fav) or a similar diffusion, they go for about 4 or 5 bucks, lock your top and bottom barn doors at about 45 degrees and tape off the diffusion to the front of it....the sheets are typically 21"x24" so you may need to trim it down to a square that'll fit appropriately.

Doug Quance
July 19th, 2003, 09:23 AM
I thought it might come down to this... I was just hoping there was a clean-looking hood I could put over the light to do the job.

I even thought about using a different fixture altogether...

I'll try the gel idea... I am sure it will work better than my last attempt at gels - I put one on a 600w lamp, turned it on - and blew a hole through it! (those little 600watters get hot, fast)

Thanks for the ideas!

Jacques Mersereau
July 19th, 2003, 09:30 AM
You could buy some diffusion fabric, like flame retardent chinese silk,
and have someone sew that in such a way that it fits cleanly over the
barn doors set as Casey suggested.

http://www.rosebrand.com/A_Com/showprod.cfm?&DID=6&CATID=5&ObjectGroup_ID=36

Doug Quance
July 19th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Big Jacques! That's the idea!

Thanks for the link, too!!

I think that would be the best of both worlds... it would look decent while getting the job done... and not too expensively.

I would imagine that one would need to get FR silk thread to sew with, as well...

Hal Huntsman
July 20th, 2003, 01:07 AM
Hey Jaques

I'd like to thank you for that link too.
It's just what I was in need of.

Thanks

Jacques Mersereau
July 20th, 2003, 11:53 AM
You're both welcome.

I too have benefited greatly from the combined knowledge of
this list.