View Full Version : Finally! External LCD Monitor Solution < $200

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Matthew Petersen
January 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Nice one Krystian!

I think I can see from the bottom of the player that you're using the option V-Mount battery holder that comes with the cams (at least it came with mine).

I'm kicking myself for not allowing for this when I cut the foam out of my pelican.

I'm surprised that the zebras don't work, thought that would be included in the other superimposed feeds in the viewfinder like tape remaining, shooting mode, audio level etc.

My latest plan is to make a MODIFIED version of the bracket that isn't so long to mount my unit on. If only I knew something about metalworking!

MP

John Estcourt
February 3rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
thought I would resurect this thread to let you know that I bought a phillips PET1030/5 portable dvd player from cdiscount UK for a fantastic price (half amazons listed!) and it works brilliantly as a monitor.
I was dubious about being able to focus accurately with the canon xh-a1 using it but you can.
The 10 inch screen folds flat and it has a mounting hole on the back so I should be able to just clamp it to the tripod, it will be mainly used for my jib monitor but if i can get a good clamp who knows...its that good.
I see cdiscount have stopped listing it but if they show up again i might just buy a second one.

Graham Hickling
February 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that - is it the same as a PET1030, or does the /5 mean something?

John Estcourt
February 4th, 2009, 02:55 AM
not sure what the /5 means Graham, it was listed as the PET1030 but on the player itself it says 1030 /5.
When you consider what is being charged for some of the dedicated monitors(with the same resolution) these dvd players are really good value and with the car cigarette plug adapter I can probably run this off my 12v battery pack i use for my video light if i need more than the 5 hrs you get off the players in built battery.
Once again i cannot recommend these highly enough. If you cant focus with this, a trip to the optician is required.
cheers john

Scott Brickert
February 5th, 2009, 07:55 PM
OK, John, your enthusiasm was contagious. I just bought one.

How did you mount it (post a pic or two?)?

Mine should be here next week.

John Estcourt
February 5th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hi Scott, Ive just ordered a tripod clamp similar to this
Amazon.com: Pedco UltraClamp - Clamping System with Camera Mount: Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraClamp-Clamping-System-Camera/dp/B000ABB4HC/ref=pd_sim_p_1)

hoping that this will do the trick, failing that i think velcro will probably do.
The dvd player has a mounting hole on the back that takes a standard tripod plate screw.
I wont get a chance to post pics till next week as im snowed under right now(nearly literally haha), but will try to do so early next week.
hope you are as pleased as I am with the philips, I managed to get out for an hour with the jib and it was great to be able to focus using the lanc on the pan handle and watch the footage. The only thing I need is a sunscreen for the display but Im sure I can improvise one easily enough.
let me know what you think when it arrives.
all the best john.

Nelson Alexandre
February 9th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Hi,

Can some of the members that already bought the Sony DVD player say how it performs under direct sunlight?

I'm considering the transflective monitors but they cost much more than the Sony's player so I'm wondering what is the best solution for a 35mm adapter focusing monitor.

Thanks

Peer Landa
February 9th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Ive just ordered a tripod clamp similar to this
Amazon.com: Pedco UltraClamp - Clamping System with Camera Mount: Camera & Photo (http://www.amazon.com/Pedco-UltraClamp-Clamping-System-Camera/dp/B000ABB4HC/ref=pd_sim_p_1) hoping that this will do the trick, failing that i think velcro will probably do.

This is exactly the clamp I'm using for my DVD monitor hack for my XL2 -- I'll post pictures later.

-- peer

John Estcourt
February 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Hi Nelson, the Philips dvd player struggles in bright light however I am in the process of making a sunscreen for it that I can attatch using velcro.

Peer,The ultra clamp has arrived and is fantastic, it screws straight into the back of the dvd player and then clamps to the tripod arm. its very strong and can easily take the weight of the player.
All set to go apart from the weather.

Scott Brickert
February 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
OK, I got the Phillips and the bracket. It mounts just fine off a tripod leg.

What output are you using to feed the DVD player? I'm taking the composite signal out of the HV20. It's softer than expected. Can't see any way to increase the resolution (probably 480i?).

The picture was much sharper when playing a DVD. Can't tell if my expectations were off, or I'm not feeding the correct signal...

John Estcourt
February 12th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Hi, Scott i'm connecting from the BNC output on the XH-A1 so i assume the signal is 576i
Yes the dvd picture is sharper, but I can still focus using the player which is great when im using the jib arm. Im not sure how much better the likes of the Ikans are but at 4 times the price they would have to be somthing special.

Scott Brickert
February 14th, 2009, 01:26 AM
OK, I'm finally getting the rig dialed in.

I agree, it's a great bang for the buck, and it'll do the job for composing and focus.

Thanks for posting about it.

John Estcourt
February 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Phew, glad your happy with it Scott. I would hate to think you bought one on my recommendation and didnt like it.
Im just in the process of making a sunscreen for it, once its finishedI will try to get round to posting a picture of it set up but the weather is just dire.
cheers john

William James Ryan
February 25th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Maybe I should have just posted this info here, but here's the thread re: the clamp mount I built for my Sony 820.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv-video-monitors/144572-diy-dvd-player-mount-tripod-steadicam.html

Peer Landa
March 7th, 2009, 05:32 AM
The only decent one in clarity and contrast was the Insignia 10.2" although its color depth was low in that banding was easily seen in browns. It is obviously better than the Sony FX820 in hand.

Okay, since I've always trusted Gints (ever since his exclusive demo of the SGI pre-Indigo at our lab in 1991) I went ahead and got me an Insignia and hacked it into an external onboard monitor -- here's a silly video of my camera rig, including some other DIY hacks:
YouTube - My big rig camera... and my scalloped guitar... and my workout routine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjyiuqKV6Y)

-- peer

Martin Amada
March 22nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
I bought a SONY FX870 after reading the first few posts in this thread, because I needed an inexpensive solution for use with my DIY cine-adaptor.

Here's a photo of the mount I had a machinist make for me. The uprights are aluminum and the cross bar is stainless steel. It's as light as I could make it. The slots in the uprights allow access to the video jack, the DC input and the on/off switch whether the monitor is inserted right side up or upside down.

The other rigs pictured including the rod support system and follow focus are custom builds.

Martin

Nicholas de Kock
March 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
Has anyone tried the LG DP391B?
LG DP391B - Portable DVD Player - With Photo Frame: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo (http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-DP391B-Portable-Player-Function/dp/B0018CV6D4)

Lee Stringer
March 30th, 2009, 04:20 AM
I just brought a LG DP281B today and first thoughts are great. It's an older model 2007ish and thus was on close out at S$199 (about US$120) but it has a 800x480 screen and looked better than some of the more expensive newer models. A quick test showed the normal lack of detail in a darks, but the picture is very clear and I could focus easy.
Now to the eternal problem off fixing it to the camera.

L

Martin Amada
March 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Here's how I made the sun hood from 3/16" (4mm) acrylic. The two machine screws you can see sticking up from the back will allow for a much larger and super lightweight extension hood with side flaps to be attached.

Martin

Gints Klimanis
March 30th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I just brought a LG DP281B today and first thoughts are great. It's an older model 2007ish and thus was on close out at S$199 (about US$120) but it has a 800x480 screen and looked better than some of the more expensive newer models.
L

Check my list of 2008 models in which I tested 12 units running at the same time all showing the menu of the same DVD. There is a substantial variability in picture clarity among the models in the same price range. I would check out particular models in person and compare to others.

Graham Hickling
March 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Link for that list?

Gints Klimanis
March 31st, 2009, 12:52 PM
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/888896-post96.html

Correction. I only tested 8 players. I'll have to check out the Sony FX870, which seems to boast 12-bit , 108 MHz video DAC. Most of the softness of these players seems to come from their deinterlacing methods. The main problem with portable devices is that they compete more on battery life and price than on picture quality.

Ivan Snoeckx
April 16th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Two or three weeks ago I also bought a Sony DVP-FX870, because the tube of my PVM-9041 died and I needed a small field monitor immedeatly.

The carrying case that comes with the DVP-FX870 is worthless for viewing. So now I'm looking for a better one with a foldable hood that also can be used in bright sunlight.

I already sorted out 3 cases that I think would fit. Only the connections and swithes on the side of the LCD keep me from buying one of the cases below. Do you think it's possible to plug in a 90 degree plug in to the monitor when it's in one of these cases? The Sony DVP-FX870 measures: 225,4(W) x 33,5(D) x 164,9(H)mm or 8,86(W) x 1,3(D) x 6,45(H) in.

KATA LCM-9 (http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=441&Version=video)

Petrol PLCD-3 (http://www.petrolbags.com/products/Monitor_Bags_I/PLCD-3/PLCD-3.htm)

PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4 (http://www.portabrace.com/productA-MO-LCD8.4)

Anyone maybe using such a case for their Sony DVP-FX8xx, or another one then the Sony?
Any thoughts or other suggestions are very welcome.

John Peterson
April 17th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Two or three weeks ago I also bought a Sony DVP-FX870, because the tube of my PVM-9041 died and I needed a small field monitor immedeatly.

The carrying case that comes with the DVP-FX870 is worthless for viewing. So now I'm looking for a better one with a foldable hood that also can be used in bright sunlight.

I already sorted out 3 cases that I think would fit. Only the connections and swithes on the side of the LCD keep me from buying one of the cases below. Do you think it's possible to plug in a 90 degree plug in to the monitor when it's in one of these cases? The Sony DVP-FX870 measures: 225,4(W) x 33,5(D) x 164,9(H)mm or 8,86(W) x 1,3(D) x 6,45(H) in.

KATA LCM-9 (http://www.kata-bags.com/product.asp?p_Id=441&Version=video)

Petrol PLCD-3 (http://www.petrolbags.com/products/Monitor_Bags_I/PLCD-3/PLCD-3.htm)

PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4 (http://www.portabrace.com/productA-MO-LCD8.4)

Anyone maybe using such a case for their Sony DVP-FX8xx, or another one then the Sony?
Any thoughts or other suggestions are very welcome.

For my FX820 I picked up one of these on clearance at Target for $12. It works very well with just enough room in it for the unit and some extras.

Case Logic 7-9 In-Car DVD Player Case > Automotive Organization > Case Logic (http://www.caselogic.com/7_9_in_car_dvd_player_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57113)

John

Ivan Snoeckx
June 27th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Last thursday I had the PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4 delivered. I have choosen this case because the measures come as closest to the ones of the Sony DVD-player.

The case comes without instructions, so it was a little bit of a hassle to figure it all out. First impression is the stand is a very weak thing. This weekend I'm going to use it on a shoot.

Ivan Snoeckx
June 28th, 2009, 08:59 AM
After the shoot I took some pictures of the PortaBrace MO-LCD8.4 monitor case.

The monitor case from PortaBrace is not custom made for the Sony DVP-FX870 portable DVD-player, but it all fits very well. It comes with a carrying belt and a black rain cover that sits in the front pouch and can be deployed around the back of the case (oeps, forgot to take a picture of it). User instructions are not included so it took me a while to figure it all out.

I've made a short cable with a 90 degree connector that can be connected to the side of the DVP-FX870 permanently.

Setup is really quick and viewing is now much better with the foldable hood. Only the stand bothers me. The angle cannot be changed and I find it very week.

Paul Tauger
June 28th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Buy.com has these for $161.18 out the door:

Sony DVPFX820 Portable DVD Player - DVPFX820/W - Buy.com (http://www.buy.com/prod/sony-dvpfx820-portable-dvd-player-8-lcd-dvd-r-rw-dvd-r-rw-dvd-r-dvd-r/q/loc/111/208504099.html#moreimg)

I assume these (or something similar) are more or less a necessity for using a Depth of Field adapter?

And can I assume that, when open, they fold flat?

Adam Gold
June 28th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Just noticed that B&H seems to have a newer, larger version for only a little more:

Sony | DVP-FX930 Portable DVD Player (Black) | DVPFX930 | B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/602457-REG/Sony_DVPFX930_DVP_FX930_Portable_DVD_Player.html)

Paul Tauger
June 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM
I found a factory refurb with Sony warranty on eBay for $114. I've also ordered this, which seems like a potentially simple (and cheap) mounting solution:

UltraClamp Aluminum Support | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=UltraClamp+Aluminum+Support&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp/RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit)

John Peterson
June 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM
After using the FX820 for awhile with my Sony PMW-EX1 I noticed that the image isn't that great using the composite out on the camera so I switched to the Green connector on the component output from the camera and it is much sharper even though the image is black and white. Much better for focusing which is all the monitor is good for anyway.

Also, check the Sony Store if there is one near you. The one in Woodbury Commons in New York near me is where I bought mine new. They had them on clearance a few months ago for a little over $100.

John

John Peterson
June 30th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I found a factory refurb with Sony warranty on eBay for $114. I've also ordered this, which seems like a potentially simple (and cheap) mounting solution:

UltraClamp Aluminum Support | B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=UltraClamp+Aluminum+Support&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp/RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=submit)

Let us know how it works out. One reviewer there said the clamp fell off the first time he used it. I don't know if what he used was even as heavy as this monitor.

John

Marty Hudzik
June 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM
That is a high def signal coming out of the EX1, right? The Sony will show that in B&W? I have got to try this with my H1 immediately. Thanks.

After using the FX820 for awhile with my Sony PMW-EX1 I noticed that the image isn't that great using the composite out on the camera so I switched to the Green connector on the component output from the camera and it is much sharper even though the image is black and white. Much better for focusing which is all the monitor is good for anyway.

Also, check the Sony Store if there is one near you. The one in Woodbury Commons in New York near me is where I bought mine new. They had them on clearance a few months ago for a little over $100.

John

Michael Thames
August 14th, 2009, 10:04 PM
I just bought the Sony DVD monitor. Thanks for all the info. I do have a question. I don't know anything about how to hook up my XH-A1 to this thing, I don't know the names of all these wires and such.

Can I just walk into Radio Shack and show them my A1 and the DVD player and get fixed up?

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to get to hook this up, in simple to understand language?

Thanks!
Michael

Marcus Martell
August 15th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Anybody in Europe using theese monitors?

Adam Gold
August 16th, 2009, 11:42 AM
For USA users, refurbed FX820s are available at the Sony Online Outlet for $120 (and free shipping) with Sony Warranty. As we don't even need the DVD player functions, this seems like a low enough price to experiment with a few -- if they don't work as external monitors, we can throw them in the car for the kids.

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665368413

Next step: Target or Walmart to find those kits to mount to rear of a car seat mentioned earlier in this thread. Those and a few zip ties should secure to tripod legs or top of arms (I have two-handled rigs).

Are the Manhattans or SmallHDs better? Undoubtedly, but at four times the price or more I'm going to check these out first. I really like the idea of using the green component feed for a sharper B&W picture.

Jim Snow
August 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Adobe OnLocation (I think this used to be DVRack) is looking more interesting.

The problem with OnLocation is that there is a delay before you see it on screen which makes it useless as a shooting monitor where you need to view the display in real time in order to control your camera. If you read Adobe's description of it, you will notice they make no claims about using it as a shooting monitor.

Marcus Martell
August 18th, 2009, 06:45 AM
This?

PHILIPS DCP852/37X Portable 8.5"

anybody?

Ivan Snoeckx
August 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Anybody in Europe using theese monitors?

ˇHola Marcus!

I'm from Europe and use the Sony DVP-FX870. Somewhere on one of the previous pages of this thread you can find some pictures of my LCD display in Portabrace case.

Annie Haycock
August 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I've been using a phillips DVD player (not sure which model) and it works fine. The picture isn't brilliant, but a lot better than the small LCD screen for focussing.

John Estcourt
August 19th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hi Annie, yes Ive got one of the phillips 11 inch DVD players and I use it on my camera crane, its okay especially with my home made sun hood around the screen.
Its not HD but focusing is possible and I got it at a bargain price so its better than the LCD on the Canon.
cheers john

Marcus Martell
August 20th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Hi, how much did pay it Ivan?Where?

Thx a lot my friend, i can't find it with a reasonable price(not less thas 290euros)!

Ivan Snoeckx
August 22nd, 2009, 08:07 AM
Hola Marcus,

You can order the Sony DVP-FX870 online by Pixmania in Spain for 215 Euros.

Pixmania: Sony DVP-FX870 (http://www.pixmania.com/es/es/2726843/art/sony/reproductor-de-dvd-portat.html?srcid=7220&Partenaire=NetAffiliation_ESes&CodePromo=oui)

Hope this helps!

Marcus Martell
August 23rd, 2009, 02:18 AM
Thank a lot my friend!How should i attach it to my z1?

thx

Marcus Martell
September 20th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Did anybody try the sony DVP FX730?

thx

Marcus Martell
September 20th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hi, i found the fx870 for229 euros;
the fx 850 for 219 euros and the dvpfx930b for 259.Which should i buy?

Bill Busby
September 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Marcus, if you're going to go this route instead of the SmallHD monitor, get one of the Sony's that has the 800x480 rez. All of the Sony dvd players look similar in appearance, but have different rez specs.

Marcus Martell
September 20th, 2009, 10:25 AM
i need em for wednsday, is there a lot of diffrence between the fx850 and the fx870?

thx

Where can i buy in EU the lil Item where i can attach it @the camcorder?

Kevin Walsh
September 24th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Has anyone tried this? AUVIO™ 7" High-Resolution Portable Digital TV - RadioShack.com (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3797858&tab=techSpecs)

Robert Rogoz
November 2nd, 2009, 11:59 PM
I wonder about this player: 1 PC 9 Inch LCD Screen Portable DVD Player + TV - DVD-T8400 (http://www.gadgetgreats.com/1-pc-9-inch-lcd-screen-portable-dvd-player-tv---dvd-t8400.aspx)
The specs call for 800x600 screen resolution

Gerald Webb
November 21st, 2009, 02:35 AM
hi guys, quick question.
If I got the sony dvp fx930 from the U.S. (im in Australia) it will be ntsc, the GY HM100 im using is PAL. Will that be an issue for using it as a monitor, or is it just for DVD playing compatibility?
thanks for any info.