View Full Version : HDR-HC9, A/V Remote Terminal, and LANC

Pages : 1 [2]

Paul Stone
April 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
After doing additional research the remote handle on the VCT-1170RM tripod from Sony is not identical to those on the VCT-50 AV and VCT-80AV (except for the connector).

The VCT-1170RM has the wide angle and telephoto reversed from what they are on the VCT-50AV.

Reviews at B&h Photo Video indicate that this tripod is not worth the money and the remote is not satisfactory.

I personally plan to convert a remote for the VCT-50AV for the old style LanC 2.5mm Stereo connector.

Paul Stone
April 9th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I received the last of my three VCT-50AV tripods today. I cut off the end of the cord (10 Pin AV/R connector) and repled it with a standard 2.5mm stereo connector.

It worked.

I have a DCR-SR62 Handycam that takes both the standard LanC and the AV/R connector.
When I cut the end off (made it 6" shorter), I pluged both the cut off AV/R connector and the 2.5mm stereo connector into the DCR-SR62. I used an ohm meter to test for continuity between the wires I had cut off and the 2.5mm connector.

The remote had three insulted wires plus a ground.

The white wire goes to the tip.
The red wire goes to the center.
The uninsulated ground was connected to the base.
The black wire is not used.

The DCR-SR62 turned on and off with the remote. It zoomed in and out, and the slow zoom worked as well. The guide frame was not launched when I pressed that button mostly because the camera does not have that feature. I did not attempt to record or take a still picture.

I put it on my HDR-FX1 and all the zoom features work. The camera turned on and off, started and stopped recording, etc. with this remote.

The guide frame did not work; however, I am new enough to this camera that I don't know if it has that feature.

It looks like everything is working fine.

Brian Dombrowski
February 28th, 2010, 12:00 AM
Created this diagram for some work I've been doing and deciding to share it here. I've compared both a genuine sony breakout cable and a $4 Chinese rip-off to have the same pinout. The Chinese version has higher resistance, lower quality cable, and weaker finger connectors, but it does work.

Regards,
Brian

Vince Krent
March 27th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I have been reading information regarding your sucess at getting a cable made which plugs into a D shaped A/V connector on newer Sony camcorders. I have the Sony tripod with the D shaped connector on the end of the remote control wire. I am aware that on the internet there is an adaptor made that allows having D shaped 10 pin plugged in the camera, and breaks out to audio and video RCA cables and mini 3 pin jack which was the old LAC standard.

Here is my question if I cut the end off the remote control ( D A/V male will I be able to attach a mini 3 pin, and plug it into the adaptor cable on cable with the A/V out will the remote functions still work. Off/On Zoom in and out, etc.

I really appreciate any info you can give because the forum on this subject seems to have been closed since 2009. it is now March 27, 2011

Vincent

Christian de Godzinsky
March 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hi,

That should be totally possible by following the info in this thread. Check also:

Sony LANC interface pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru (http://pinouts.ru/DigitalCameras/sony_lanc_pinout.shtml)

Simply cut away the mini D-connector from the cable (leave a short stub of cable 1..2 inch at the cut-away connector end). Leaving the stub makes it possible to do some measurements afterwards.

Simply solder a 2,5mm stereo LANC plug to the cable, following the connection instructions you will find above. The LANC protocol is still the same, independent of the type of connector. If you have not soldered before, ask someone that has to help you.

Cheers,

Christian

Dave Blackhurst
March 27th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Before you cut the cable, you might want to try plugging into the A/V jack on the HC9 - it SHOULD work just fine, as the sports packs use the "D" plug/jack... it's parallel to the "old style" 2.5mm LANC interface.

Let us know if that doesn't work, but I don't think you need to get out the cutters and soldering iron!