View Full Version : Down convert option

Matthew Klos
March 7th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Can anyone here enlighten me in regard to the down convert option of the FX-7? What I'd like to know is if it functions in a manner similair to this feature found on the FX-1. My reason for asking is that for the time being I am still using a standard def. NLE system. Any input in regard to this question is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ethan Cooper
March 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM
You have one option with the FX7, DV widescreen.

Matthew Klos
March 7th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks, for the reply Ethan. I'm assuming that is standard def. widescreen. Can you provide any insight as to how this looks on a 26 or 32 inch widescreen HDTV? I've read in the forum that some people love it,and still others feel it looks lousy. Again any info in regard to this would be appreciated. ( I'm looking to purchase one or the other in the near future )

Ethan Cooper
March 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM
This is opinion only, but I think it looks pretty fantastic on our 42" plasma when run on an upconverting DVD player. It looks good enough that this is how I display our stuff at bridal shows and don't think twice about it.
Does it look as good as 1080i or 720p on that same screen? No, but its better than non-native widescreen run through the same player and zoomed to fill the screen.
You aren't setup to run HD anyway from the way you spoke earlier so I'd say that editing native widescreen, outputting on DVD native widescreen, then playing back on an upconverting DVD player is your best option.

Matthew Klos
March 7th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks again Ethan, and yes you are correct about my editng capacity at this time. Just wanted to make sure that I could edit standard def. using this camera in the 16x9 aspect ratio. A new editing system would come about sometime in the future. One thing appeals to me in regard to the FX-7 is the form factor.(size and weight) I feel it more closely resembles my trusty old VX-2000 which I just recently sold. As opposed to the size and weight of the FX-1. Just need to get the facts straight before I go ahead and commit to one or the other. Thanks.

Ethan Cooper
March 7th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I usually refer to my VX as my trusty old VX as well. Great camera. We couldn't part with ours so she sits in retirement charing batteries and doing a little shooting now and again, but less and less.
It might be good to note that people are speculating that the FX7 has been discontinued by Sony. You can't find them anymore on B&H and those kinda sites. I don't know when you need to buy, but you might want to wait a month till after NAB to see what will shake out in regards to new cameras.

Matthew Klos
March 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, your'e right there are no more FX-7's listed with B&H. However, I wouldn't mind picking up a clean low usage unit from a dv-info forum member. Again, I am still pursuing which model would best suit my needs. Additionally, you raise a very valid point about waiting until after NAB. After all, I am not known as the " king " of buy high and sell low for nothing.

Derek Morrison
March 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
I have a HDR-FX7 that i am considering to sell. I'm looking to upgrade to a more customizable jvc HD100 or 110. or possibly a trade if your interested.

Ethan Cooper
March 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Derek,
Depending on what happens at NAB I may be in the market for another FX7.
Be checking the classifieds after NAB.